The Impossible Lair (Last level) just feels cheap.

It doesn't mesh with the rest of the game content. None of the 40 regular stages come even remotely close to being as challenging as the Impossible Lair. It could have been a difficult level without being quite so much harder than everything else. That was my take. I don't want to play that level ever again, and I'm glad I don't have to.

• Like 3

The impossible lair is absolutely bullshit. Broken hit boxes, bad mechanics, losing 3+ bees for 1 mistake, no checkpoints, 20+ minutes of pure hell and the game doesn't get you ready for it. I went through the whole game, got my 48 bees and had a wonderful time and thought I'd be able to handle the final level but oh no.

The Impossible Lair is the equivalent of playing a Mario game than a kaizo level being the final level.

I gave up because it's not worth the frustration but if they ever patch it I'll try again. They mentioned possibly doing something in a Twitter post.

Doesn't bother me I can't do it, or that I won't just shelfed the game and moved on. 

1 hour ago, Hvalpen said:

The boss has a set pattern mate, he does not do things randomly.

Then he'll hit you with a wonky ass broken hitbox, that staff is bullshit.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, aZombieDictator said:

The impossible lair is absolutely bullshit. Broken hit boxes, bad mechanics, losing 3+ bees for 1 mistake, no checkpoints, 20+ minutes of pure hell and the game doesn't get you ready for it. I went through the whole game, got my 48 bees and had a wonderful time and thought I'd be able to handle the final level but oh no.

The Impossible Lair is the equivalent of playing a Mario game than a kaizo level being the final level.

I gave up because it's not worth the frustration but if they ever patch it I'll try again. They mentioned possibly doing something in a Twitter post.

Doesn't bother me I can't do it, or that I won't just shelfed the game and moved on. 

Then he'll hit you with a wonky ass broken hitbox, that staff is bullshit.

I was frustrated like you. Then i saw a video of a guy walking through with 0 bees and it helped me a lot, especially the boss fights. Did it in 10 tries with 7 bees to spare.

• 1 month later...

It took me about 4 hours to do it, and while frustrating I was fine with it. Except when I fell thru the floor (like the solid ground) around 80% and just got trapped under it...losing all my bees  and dying. I wanted to quit bad there.

Edited by StingX2

After my 8th attempt (and 3rd serious with full bee set) and dying in the same place again (last Capital B fight) I'd like to share my thoughts:

• Water and ice sections are my bane of existence... I can't imagine beating them consistently without losing a single bee.
  • It's definitely worth to skip annoying and frustrating parts with a cost of bee or two (like this shitty rope part before the third boss fight).
  • I agree hitboxes are unreliable AF... But on the other side, I sometimes didn't lose a bee despite the fact I've clearly touched enemy or hazard. So, while still bad and not supposed to work that way, I don't hate them as much as I should.
  • Idea of having to beat this whole place in one go to even see the credits and giving such high difficulty spike is just ludicrous. If I'd be in charge of designing this very last level, I'd split this level in four separate sections accessible from the hub, giving the half of your collected bees for safety, and to let you just beat it with your bees recharged after every section. "Golden ending" which you would have to unlock for platinum would require you to beat the whole area just as is it now. Or at the very least, it should make these three door after a first section of lair let you choose the section you want to beat next (so after learning one, have the possibility to train in another section).
  • Another thing that bugs me is pretty high rarity percentage of trophy for beating this level (even on PSN). Quite a good amount of people good at platforms must've picked this game despite very casual appearance.

Actually this is the only exciting part of the game so far for me. I'm not enjoying it as much as other people here. For a game that takes a lot from legendary games like Donkey Kong Country, Rayman and Zelda, I found this title to be pretty boring and repetitive (but still worth to check if you're platformer fan).

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, ZachBoardyHD said:

I'm not bashing the game or anything but I was curious what people felt about the last level because for me i feel like the Impossible Lair is difficult because you get hit by cheap shots? I'm not saying that because I haven't platinumed the game but I felt at least a third of myself getting damaged and losing a bee were over a cheap difficulty spike which is random with its timing at random parts.

I think I'm pretty good at platform games in general but most of the impossibe Lair mission is difficult for the wrong reasons as there's a difference with a mission being difficult and another thing being cheaply difficult which I feel this mission definitely is. I feel if things were more 'synced' it would be more manageable but because the patterns are random with when something shoots, rotates, moves. I do understand too that patience and timing is key with getting past some parts, but I feel you get punished for trying to take it easily as possible.

For the Capital Bee boss parts (where I lose a lot of my bees) feels unpredictable with what he's going to do next. I have for the most part enjoyed this game but with the Impossible Lair, it's kind of ruined the experience I had with the game tbh. Rayman did it right as it felt difficult for being difficult not being cheaply difficult like this. 

As I said I'm not bashing the game because it has been a fun game, but oh boy, what a bad game design this mission is. As I said what do you lot think of the mission?

Git gud

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the rage in this thread makes me even more interestes in that stage.

It's always fun to beat something with the expectation that it is hard. What makes me even more curious is that you get 48 hits if I understand correctly, so I would expect it to have cheap hits. Also, considering the platinum rarity I don't think it's gonna be as hard as you guys say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just did it now, with a full stack of bees it's really not that difficult. Took me 3 tries in total, had a few bees left over on the final run also. Based off of the level completed percentage in game, the second half feels much shorter and easier than the first half. Basically it's really no where near as bad as some of the people in this thread are making it out to be lol.

Edited by zajac9999

• 3 weeks later...

It just takes practice and memorization like most challenging platformers. This took me a bit longer to beat than i'd like to admit but keep practicing and you can only improve. The key is to get a good start IMO, I reset a lot if I lost too many bees early on. The boss fights are the easiest part IMO, but I agree that the hitboxes are a bit wonky here. The rope climbing and the moving conveyers and lifts were the hardest parts for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Haven't touched the game since patch, so small question out of curiosity:

Do you still need to beat the Impossible Lair in one go for HIVE won! trophy or you can just start from last checkpoint after reaching it, beat the game and get the trophy?

playtonic confirmed on Twitter that the trophy will unlock even if playing the Not So Impossible Lair

• Like 3

On 1.05.2020 at 2:34 PM, megslushboy said:

playtonic confirmed on Twitter that the trophy will unlock even if playing the Not So Impossible Lair

Thanks for reply. Bad decision though, they should just make this some kind of warm-up that allow you to beat the game, but a platinum should require more work.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, megslushboy said:

After having finished the game and obtaining the Platinum last night, I can confirm the Hive trophy can be unlocked through the "Not So Impossible Lair" 

Cheers, Playtonic. ?

• Like 4