KH3 Re:Mind DLC Releasing Jan 23

Kristycism

2 hours ago, WatertownsFinest said:

Look how long it took them to make the actual main game 

The stupidity and ignorance in this comment is baffling. What a stupid comparison.

It took them around 2-3 years to make the game after switching engines for it and 5 years in total from announcement to release.

Anyway, my opinion on the DLC.

Re:Mind is 95% re-used content from the main game being sold at a baffling 30 dollars. I feel robbed but at the same i can just tell myself "i SpEnT mOnEy tO sUpPorT tHe gAmE" to feel good about myself ? 

• Like 1

30$ for this is a bullshit. Imagine how hard it is on someone, who bought All-in-one package. You had all the series for 90$ and now you have three hours of rehashed content and the KH2 style databattles for the third of that. Yikes. Gladly, FFXV has its DLCs on sale constantly so I hope there will be a reasonable deal later.

On the other hand Atlus sells their 15-20$ DLC for 60$ with no opportunity to buy it separately. Also sells a bunch of new stuff as DLCs for new edition. Japan has discovered the greed.

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 3

I remember posting a status update saying that this wasn't gonna be a good purchase at $30 and I had a couple of people defending this DLC. Reading the comments here gives me that weird mix of sad satisfaction. Sad that Square knew this would be an easy sell and took advantage of that.

• Like 4

Welcome to 2010, people! This is nothing new for Squeenix; they've been dangerously scraping the bottom of the barrel for a decade now, and charging exorbitant rates for the sludge they dredge up. This is the same company that charged $25 for an SNES game just a couple of years back.

If y'all keep payin' them, they'll keep playin' you...

14 hours ago, Oblivion said:

I feel robbed but at the same i can just tell myself "i SpEnT mOnEy tO sUpPorT tHe gAmE" to feel good about myself ? 

In the same way that eating a cake made entirely out of frosting feels good. ?

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 4

I know I said this before but it seems people didn't see it so I guess I'll say it again....

IT IS 3 DLC's IN ONE. EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY HAS ABOUT 10$ WORTH OF CONTENT, MAKING 30 DOLLARS THE LOGICAL AND FAIR PRICE.

They could've sold them individually as 3 10$ dlc's and nobody would even be having this conversation. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that people can't wrap their minds around that fact.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I know I said this before but it seems people didn't see it so I guess I'll say it again....

IT IS 3 DLC's IN ONE. EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY HAS ABOUT 10$ WORTH OF CONTENT, MAKING 30 DOLLARS THE LOGICAL AND FAIR PRICE.

They could've sold them individually as 3 10$ dlc's and nobody would even be having this conversation. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that people can't wrap their minds around that fact.

Sure, this is the only valid viewpoint. Argument over, I guess. Thanks, bro. Weird that you had to post it twice, though, before everyone got it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Sure, this is the only valid viewpoint. Argument over, I guess. Thanks, bro. Weird that you had to post it twice, though, before everyone got it.

It should be the end of the argument. Like I said, if they sold it as 3 dlc's no one would even be having this conversation. If anything people would be fondling Square's balls for not charging 15$ each. But for some reason, them releasing them all at once makes them the devil. There's no common sense to be found in that logic.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

It should be the end of the argument. Like I said, if they sold it as 3 dlc's no one would even be having this conversation. If anything people would be fondling Square's balls for not charging 15$ each. But for some reason, them releasing them all at once makes them the devil. There's no common sense to be found in that logic.

So as someone who seems to have actually played it, what's your take on it? Not just from a value perspective, but kind of overall? Fun, difficulty, story, etc?

3 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

When did they announce this?

14 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

So as someone who seems to have actually played it, what's your take on it? Not just from a value perspective, but kind of overall? Fun, difficulty, story, etc?

The ReMind episode is basically a continuation from the end of KH3. I played it on proud and it took me about 3 hours to complete.

The LimitCut Episode is where you will fight the data battles. Again I played through all 13 on proud and it was very enjoyable if you like super bosses in the KH franchise. These definitely felt really tough.

The Secret episode just contains a bit of story and the Yozora super boss. I haven't beat him yet, but again it's a fun fight.

Fun: 8/10

Difficulty: It depends on your difficulty setting you choose (i.e Beginner, Normal, Proud, Critical).  I played it on proud and so far would give it a 5/10, but I have beaten all of the previous games on critical so it is player dependent.

Story: 3/10 Some good moments, but it was way too short.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 0:52 PM, KingGuy420 said:

But...what if each DLC has only $8 worth of content. Wouldn't $24 then be the logical and fair price? Or <gasp!> what if each DLC has $5 worth of content? Breaking out my old calculator, that leaves...$15 as the logical and fair price?!?

That can't be right.

But I will mention one thing. You might be right that people wouldn't bat an eye if 3 DLCs were released at $10 each, because if a person wanted on aspect of this DLC, then even if he thought that this DLC was overpriced at $10, it wouldn't be as much of a shock.

Of course, Square understands this, too, which is exactly why they packaged all of the DLCs together. It's a classic trick, and Square has used it many times before. Final Fantasy IX was packaged with a theme, and some avatars, and a soundtrack. The price increase from FFVII was $5. Perhaps that theme, and those avatars, and that soundtrack were logically worth $5. But rather than letting people decide that, they instead just packed it in with the game itself, forcing you to pay more for the game if that was all you wanted.

And you're right - I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if FFIX was released for $15.99, and the theme, avatars and soundtrack were released separately for $5. And I can assure you that there is a logical and fair reason for that.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, KingGuy420 said:

So, before having a chance to play it, I was on board with this take. After almost completing it (finished Remind and Limit Cut, got my ass beat in Secret Ending and just starting to dabble in the premium menus), this is definitely not 3 DLCs in 1. It is 1 DLC split into multiple parts, and it really feels like it.

As for the value proposition, I think the anger and hate is widely overblown. For this being a single DLC, it has a good breadth of content and is mostly worth the price. I think the main issue with the price is that a lot of people are likely going to get this and only be able to get through Remind, because Limit Cut and Secret Ep are crazy tough, even for seasoned KH players. So paying $30 and only being able to get through a 5 hour piece of story where half is mostly repeated content must be frustrating to say the least. And to me, the premium menus aren’t the best way to promote repeat playthroughs of the game, but YMMV on this.

All in all there’s a lot of content here and I feel the price is mostly warranted, as long as you can beat what’s provided.

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Of course, Square understands this, too, which is exactly why they packaged all of the DLCs together. It's a classic trick, and Square has used it many times before. Final Fantasy IX was packaged with a theme, and some avatars, and a soundtrack. The price increase from FFVII was $5. Perhaps that theme, and those avatars, and that soundtrack were logically worth $5. But rather than letting people decide that, they instead just packed it in with the game itself, forcing you to pay more for the game if that was all you wanted.

And you're right - I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if FFIX was released for $15.99, and the theme, avatars and soundtrack were released separately for $5. And I can assure you that there is a logical and fair reason for that.

Also I don’t think that’s right at all, FFVII came with a theme as well. More work was done on the FFIX remaster than the FFVII one. Work done equated to a higher asking price. Whether that asking price is worth it given the work done is up for debate, but it wasn’t a trick to put avatars and a theme in your hands and still collect a few extra bucks. I believe the prices were the same on Steam, and there you got absolutely no extras as far as I’m aware.

1 hour ago, Kotetsu42x said:

Also I don’t think that’s right at all, FFVII came with a theme as well. More work was done on the FFIX remaster than the FFVII one. Work done equated to a higher asking price. Whether that asking price is worth it given the work done is up for debate, but it wasn’t a trick to put avatars and a theme in your hands and still collect a few extra bucks. I believe the prices were the same on Steam, and there you got absolutely no extras as far as I’m aware.

Final Fantasy VII did not come with a theme. I have no idea what you’re talking about.

And as for “more work” being done on the on the IX remaster than the VII one, maybe, but it looks like the same cookie-cutter job to me. In any case, FFVIII absolutely had more work done on its remaster, but it still listed for only $19.99.

As far as Steam goes, what does that matter? The prices on Steam can be whatever they want (and when has there ever been an expectation that prices across platforms would be the same).

What - do you think Squeenix was just giving the avatars and the theme away, out of good will? LOL.

And before this turns into an argument I don’t want, let me just say that I couldn’t care less that people buy this. My original post was directed at people who DID pay for this, only to complain afterward that it was too pricey, as if surprised. Utter foolishness, but no sillier than saying that a bundle of 3 DLCs with completely “logical” values of $10 should be $30, and no one should bat an eye in either case. 

Edited by starcrunch061

15 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Final Fantasy VII did not come with a theme. I have no idea what you’re talking about.

But then you had to post some silliness about a phantom ffvii theme...

Since Googling is hard. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

15 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

And as for “more work” being done on the on the IX remaster than the VII one, maybe, but it looks like the same cookie-cutter job to me. In any case, FFVIII absolutely had more work done on its remaster, but it still listed for only $19.99.

It’s pretty clear more work was done on IX than VII. There’s still plenty to be said about how it overall still doesn’t look great and certainly isn’t the best touch up, but my point stands. I haven’t gotten around to VIII yet, but from what I have seen, the glow up looks relatively the same.

16 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

As far as Steam goes, what does that matter? The prices on Steam can be whatever they want (and when has there ever been an expectation that prices across platforms would be the same).

Uh, no. No publisher goes and just slaps different prices on different platforms just because they felt like it. FFIX is on Steam and PSN for $20.99 right now, and Steam does not have any of the included extras you seem to think warrant an additional cost.

19 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What - do you think Squeenix was just giving the avatars and the theme away, out of good will? LOL.

Don’t think I said that did I? It’s an incentive. Buy the game, get an additional theme. Pretty simple. Tons of games (not published by Square, too. Shocking!) offer this, especially as a pre order incentive. It’s fairly common.

21 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

And before this turns into an argument I don’t want, let me just say that I couldn’t care less that people buy this. My original post was directed at people who DID pay for this, only to complain afterward that it was too pricey, as if surprised. Utter foolishness, but no sillier than saying that a bundle of 3 DLCs with completely “logical” values of $10 should be $30, and no one should bat an eye in either case. 

I mean, I don’t completely disagree. Square made the expectations out the gate pretty clear, it’s not like we weren’t told what we were buying. It’s kinda ridiculous anyone is complaining about the price, considering the pricing structure used to be “buy the entire game again at full price,” but I suppose that was only really in Japan, people here in the west haven’t experienced it with this franchise.

I’m mostly pointing out Square isn’t and hasn’t been “tricking” anyone, which is the argument you tried making, at least not in the examples you presented.

1 hour ago, Kotetsu42x said:

Yup, more work was done because there was no pre-existing PC version of FF9. Remember that FF7 on PS4 is a port of the Steam re-release, with the very same bugs, too. Also for FF8 they had to do that stupid thing named "Remaster" which they decided to re-release on PC for whatever reason, despite it being the very same game, to release it on consoles.

• Like 1

Stop saying things like “tricking”. It suggests that I’m insinuating that Square is doing something illegal. I’m not, and they aren’t. They’re playing a game.

Square offered a theme and avatars to purchasers of FFIX. We can argue about the extra work put into the game, but what can’t be argued is that both the theme and the avatars are premium items, as opposed to this (straw man) FFVII theme, which was free to anyone, and in no way part of a purchase of FFVII. Hence, it didn’t “incentivize” anything (to use your own terminology). They also released a free SoM theme to anyone who wanted it, as well as 4 free sets of DQ avatars. The FFIX theme and avatars are significantly different from both of these.

Now, if you want to descend into to-may-to, to-mah-to semantics regarding the difference in an “incentive” and premium content, you’ll travel that road alone. If Square decides to make their next game list for $69.99, but include the incentive of “free” extra content, I’ll call it the same way, regardless of whether that content appears on the Steam version for the same price.

And speaking of Steam, companies put different prices on different platforms ALL THE TIME. Are you living under a rock? Kemco RPGs cost significantly more on PS4 than their equivalent premium editions do on mobile devices ($14.99 new on PS4, versus $4.99 on a phone).  Sales on Steam in no way match their PSN equivalents. Companies absolutely “slap” different prices on different platforms.

Edited by starcrunch061

I apologise if this has already been asked.

How long to fully beat the DLC? All trophies and whatnot, at critical difficulty (and with characters at lv 99). 

Is there an additional difficulty?

And how hard are the superbosses compared to the (infamous) BBS ones?

Thanks!

Edited by nudoetcrudo

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Stop saying things like “tricking”. It suggests that Square is doing something illegal. They aren’t. They’re playing a game.

What?

7 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Of course, Square understands this, too, which is exactly why they packaged all of the DLCs together. It's a classic trick, and Square has used it many times before.

You literally said this. I used your verbiage. I agree, it isn't a trick, but you're the one who suggested it was.

Also, they're not playing a game, they're selling a product.

Square offered a theme and avatars to purchasers of FFIX. We can argue about the extra work put into the game, but what can’t be argued is that both the theme and the avatars are premium items, as opposed to this (straw man) FFVII theme, which was free to anyone, and in no way part of a purchase of FFVII.

Straw man? Bruh. I already proved you incorrect on this. If you want a more direct link, here. I gave you a Google search proving this. If you can find this theme on PSN for free, be my guest, but don't try to claim I'm making stuff up when I'm providing evidence and you're providing sass. It was not free for anyone.

Hence, it didn’t “incentivize” anything (to use your own terminology).

It's the literal definition of the word, but okay.

And speaking of Steam, companies put different prices on different platforms ALL THE TIME. Are you living under a rock? Kemco RPGs cost significantly more on PS4 than their equivalent premium editions do on mobile devices ($14.99 new on PS4, versus $4.99 on a phone).  Sales on Steam in no way match their PSN equivalents. Companies absolutely “slap” different prices on different platform).

Sure, I'll give you that, maybe it's my phrasing. It's not a universal truth but a common one, and 100% pertains to what we're talking about right now.

Also, online platform sales aren't (always) dictated by the publisher universally. Just because FFIX goes on sale on one doesn't mean it goes on sale on the other, and I never suggested that to begin with. The base price is 1:1 and that completely negates your argument that the avatars and themes inflated the price for any reason. If that were the case, Steam MSRP would be lower than the PSN MSRP.

Also, mobile prices? Really? The games are regularly severely gimped to be able to run on the hardware and are a harder sell at higher price points. But to bring it into actual relevancy, FFIX is also $20.99 on the Apple App Store right now, so as it relates to this conversation, that's still an invalid point. Are you the one living under a rock? Are you not able to look this stuff up?

Anyway, if you're not going to read the evidence I'm providing and continue making the same blatantly incorrect points, I'm no longer going to continue this. It's not an argument worth having and you're clearly not willing to listen. Not really sure why you butted in here, you're clearly not playing the DLC anytime soon.

18 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

I apologise if this has already been asked.

How long to fully beat the DLC? All trophies and whatnot, at critical difficulty (and with characters at lv 99). 

Is there an additional difficulty?

And how hard are the superbosses compared to the (infamous) BBS ones?

Thanks!

Remind is about 5 hours, the rest heavily varies on skill level. You can be capped out on Beginner and still struggle. Limit Cut took me about 6-7 hours on Standard. Secret Episode maybe 1-3, again, heavily depends on how good you are at the game and how fast you can counter the movesets.

The PRO codes trophy I believe requires a fresh playthrough, so that may be another 20 hours. I think after finishing Secret Episode you unlock the premium menus and can do the EZ trophy without a new playthrough, but I'm not 100% sure.

The bosses are tough but fair, something I can't say about the ones in BBS. A lot are really fun.

Edited by Kotetsu42x
Adding line break
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kotetsu42x said:

Remind is about 5 hours, the rest heavily varies on skill level. You can be capped out on Beginner and still struggle. Limit Cut took me about 6-7 hours on Standard. Secret Episode maybe 1-3, again, heavily depends on how good you are at the game and how fast you can counter the movesets.

The PRO codes trophy I believe requires a fresh playthrough, so that may be another 20 hours. I think after finishing Secret Episode you unlock the premium menus and can do the EZ trophy without a new playthrough, but I'm not 100% sure.

The bosses are tough but fair, something I can't say about the ones in BBS. A lot are really fun.

Nice, thanks!

I saw a screenshot of a fight with Data Vanitas and I was immediately "ffs not again" :D

Really enjoyed this DLC. I've watched a lot of streamers who do level 1 critical runs who have mostly agreed that this DLC saves KH3.  The data fights were amazing and some of the best boss battles in the series.

For me, it was well worth the $30.  I have a friend who loves the KH series and could not get into KH3 and eventually stopped early in the base game, but I had him play some of the DLC data bosses and it convinced him to continue the base game so that he can do the ReMind bosses.

Overall, very happy with the difficulty, and the length is fine with me, as it adds replayability as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kotetsu42x said:

<bunch of stuff>

Hmmm. I can't really argue with the thread you've provided. I could have sworn that I got the Midgar theme prior to purchasing the game, but maybe not. 

To be fair, I am listening to you. There's just a large scene missing in my head in regards to your designation of certain premium items as "incentives", as if this means they have no monetary value. I can't wrap my mind around such a concept. If someone bundles additional things into a product that are not available to the general public, my initial instinct is to value those items. Hence, a $21 FF IX bundle on the PS4 is not at all priced the same as a $21 FF IX title on Steam without the extras. Each part of the bundle has its own value, and we can argue about each component of that value, but I can't accept that any of the components have 0 value. 

Maybe it was a bad comparison, though, so let's try this one. I love Oreos. I like chocolate chip cookies. I hate Butterfingers. In a local store last month, I could buy a bag of Oreos for $3, a bag of chocolate chip cookies for $3, and a bag of Butterfingers for $3. I don't bat an eye at the charges for Butterfingers, because I'll never buy them. I might buy cookies, and I will buy Oreos.

However, this month, the store decided to bundle the three together with no option to purchase them separately. Let's say we follow the logic of the original post I answered, and price that bundle at $9. I would kick, and there should be no confusion as to why I would think that.

But here's the weird thing: were the store to bundle the three for $3, I would kick, assuming that I couldn't buy any of them separately. Now, if I'm understanding you, you would question my logic on this. After all, the Oreos were priced earlier at $3, a price at which I bought them, and now, I'm just getting incentives to purchase them. But I can't help but question why I can't just purchase the one thing I want at a price that is less than $3. After all, these cookie and (ugh) Butterfingers aren't free to everybody, so there's obviously a cost involved, and I'm forced to bear it when purchasing the Oreos. That's exactly how I feel about Final Fantasy IX. Are these extras "incentives"? I can't make the designation. They aren't free to the general public, so they have monetary value. Maybe this thinking "isn't right at all", but that's a question of our chosen beliefs, and you're right - we will never overcome such an impasse.

But you are correct - it really is academic. I certainly will never purchase this particular DLC; I'll just wait for a physical all-in-one version that I'll check out from my library (or I'll never play it at all).

I hope this explains my position a bit better, and I do sincerely apologize for the "sass". You are welcome to the last word, if you want it. I won't respond, but I will read it.

Edited by starcrunch061

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Hence, a $21 FF IX bundle on the PS4 is not at all priced the same as a $21 FF IX title on Steam without the extras.

PlayStation Store: $20.99

Xbox: $20.99

Nintendo eShop: $20.99

Apple App Store: $20.99

Google Play Store: $20.99

It took a minute to look this up this info. Don't patronize me with a lengthy explanation. I get what you're saying and I'm not saying they have no value, but those premium items are literally an incentive to buy the game. The game across the board has the same exact price, but only one offers extras. If they have monetary value to you, then fine. You're paying $20.99 for avatars and a theme and getting a free game out of it. Whatever works for you.

Thanks for reading.