My Sad Story of Error (NP-34978-1)

realm722

I found someone else that had posted about having the issue you're having, they give the same error code in the thread and it looks like their situation is worse as Playstation can't even find record of them purchasing the game despite them having the payment confirmation email :facepalm:  

License issue that I've not seen any relevant information about

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I found someone else that had posted about having the issue you're having, they give the same error code in the thread and it looks like their situation is worse as Playstation can't even find record of them purchasing the game despite them having the payment confirmation email :facepalm:  

License issue that I've not seen any relevant information about

Yoooooo THANK YOU for this. Here's the crazy thing I left out of my OP: This exact part happened to me. I contacted Playstation Support earlier in the day and they wanted the transaction ID. I go in looking for the $4.99 purchase and can't find it. I thought I wasn't charged. Then like 4-5 hours went by, I checked again, and it was there. 

I will reply there to try and exchange some details with this guy. 

While it's possible it's a hardware issue, I think it's unlikely as it would affect more than just one of your purchases. Seems more like the game isn't properly registered to your account to show that you own it, whether it's a playstation store bug itself, or an issue with the way it assigns licenses, sony won't say it's their fault.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

If you have no help to offer, a simple F in the chat to pay respects would suffice

please don’t encourage people to break Rule 5. 

If this is all just to play one game, create a 2nd account on the PS4, buy the game from that account, then see if you can access the game on your main account once your 2nd account buys and installs it. 

17 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

please don’t encourage people to break Rule 5. 

If this is all just to play one game, create a 2nd account on the PS4, buy the game from that account, then see if you can access the game on your main account once your 2nd account buys and installs it. 

My bad on the first matter.

As for your advice, here's the weird thing: I can't even buy the game again. Even though I've gone through the lengthy process of getting a refund and everything - the game is STILL in the my PS4 Library. So even if I made a 2nd account on my PS4, I still wouldn't have the option to purchase it new all over again.

Since I've made this post I've gotten 2 more replies on the PS4 Subreddit of people who've had the same error code restoring licenses. As I said, there's little to 0 information on it outside of 3 posts from a few years back. I don't hope this is a new issue causing problems for players - but something tells me this is an error on Sony's end to people who have something in common. It could be something to do with the new system update that hasn't been mandatorily released yet OR something happened in a small window of purchases in the past few days in December causing this. 

Edited by realm722

1 minute ago, realm722 said:

My bad on the first matter.

As for your advice, here's the weird thing: I can't even buy the game again. Even though I've gone through the lengthy process of getting a refund and everything - the game is STILL in the my PS4 Library. So even if I made a 2nd account on my PS4, I still wouldn't have the option to purchase it new all over again.

Since I've made this post I've gotten 2 more replies on the PS4 Subreddit of people who've had the same error code restoring licenses. As I said, there's little to 0 information on it outside of 3 posts from a few years back. I don't hope this is a new issue causing problems for players - but something tells me this is an error on Sony's end to people who have something in common. 

Buying it on an alt account shouldn't be an issue

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Buying it on an alt account shouldn't be an issue

I've actually never made an alternate account other than a guest account before. I'm knee-deep in this issue now but you've motivated me to see if this would work as a loophole (still not a 100% solution since I'd want the trophy list on my main but just to play the games it makes sense). I'll post back with my findings. 

2 days ago, while I was playing on Ps3 in offline mode, I tried to login but I got a message where I had to quit the game before going online. I thought that was pretty weird because that was the first time I saw a message like that. Thus, I quitted the game, went online and I had to accept the new Playstation privacy policy. Maybe it's related in some way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

(still not a 100% solution since I'd want the trophy list on my main).

Well, you can—just activate the alternate account as primary in the settings, then you should be able to play it on your main: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Activating-your-PlayStation-4-System-as-your-Primary-PS4?language=en_US

I've shared many games between accounts this way, and you can always change it back.

• Like 2

This happened to me as well but with a different game. It started with one when i tried to reregister all licenses (restore tomato/tomatoe) it affected more and more games.

As suggested unregister as main ps, warning it will disable all games. (At least this happened on my ps)

Then register again, then in safe mode use the repair database.

Then reregister all licenses.

Edited by Vive_ut_vivas

2 hours ago, HusKy said:

Have you tried unregistering your console as primary and then registering it as primary again? This helps with licensing issues from time to time.

I did! I had it as "Activated" selected "Deactivate" and then registered as primary again. Really thought that would fix it as well - no luck. 

2 hours ago, Vive_ut_vivas said:

This happened to me as well but with a different game. It started with one when i tried to reregister all licenses (restore tomato/tomatoe) it affected more and more games.

As suggested unregister as main ps, warning it will disable all games. (At least this happened on my ps)

Then register again, then in safe mode use the repair database.

Then reregister all licenses.

Question though - did you get an error when trying to restore licenses originally before unregistering as main PS4 and so forth? The NP-34978-1 is the baffling part for me. 

Small update: I've proceeded to scour on Twitter and a few Russian and Portuguese forums and found a few more people having trouble with it. Two more replies to the PS4 subreddit issues - so it's clear I'm not the only one and more firmly believe the issue is on Sony's end. Here's the thing: I FINALLY found somebody who said they got the locked symbol issue resolved. The solution? They waited 24 hours and then were allowed to play the game. Not exactly a pro-active approach one can take but I'm gonna give it a few days and see if people who've had the issue can get it resolved this way. I don't know if it means just the game is unlocked, yet they still can't restore licenses cuz of the error or not, but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Question though - did you get an error when trying to restore licenses originally before unregistering as main PS4 and so forth? The NP-34978-1 is the baffling part for me. 

With me it happened when downloading Anthem. A few minutes after starting the download the PS4 update was also downloaded and installed.

It was still downloading Anthem when I restarted to apply the update.

After that at 99% the download got stuck and the lock icon appeared.

Whatever I did deleting the game and redownloading or checking for update it gave the error.

When I tried restore licenses all digital games from my main PS4 account got the lock symbol, and the error then came after the first attempt.

After going trough all the steps I described it was fixed. I have not had it since then.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, realm722 said:

I did! I had it as "Activated" selected "Deactivate" and then registered as primary again. Really thought that would fix it as well - no luck. 

Small update: I've proceeded to scour on Twitter and a few Russian and Portuguese forums and found a few more people having trouble with it. Two more replies to the PS4 subreddit issues - so it's clear I'm not the only one and more firmly believe the issue is on Sony's end. Here's the thing: I FINALLY found somebody who said they got the locked symbol issue resolved. The solution? They waited 24 hours and then were allowed to play the game. Not exactly a pro-active approach one can take but I'm gonna give it a few days and see if people who've had the issue can get it resolved this way. I don't know if it means just the game is unlocked, yet they still can't restore licenses cuz of the error or not, but we'll see. 

Did the game unlocked? I just experienced this issue today with my Need For Speed Heat game.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 0:39 AM, realm722 said:

WARNING: THIS IS LONG AND OVERLY DR

TL;DR - I bought game. I was locked out of it. I go through literally every step possible to resolve it and it still won't work. I have an unfixable error I still don't know to resolve. I was given a refund. I will never watch any YouTube videos regarding Sundered: Eldritch Edition OR attempt to play it on PC. If I can't have it how I want it, I don't want it DAMMIT. If you have no help to offer, a simple F in the chat to pay respects would suffice (edited: actually don't do that)

Well, if it's any consolation, Sundered sucks. 

Sorry to hear about your error.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HaGetOwned said:

Did the game unlocked? I just experienced this issue today with my Need For Speed Heat game.

Unfortunately not man. :/ Here is the link to a Reddit post that's been updated by somebody far more dedicated than me to the cause and trying to get to the bottom of this situation. It's quite baffling at this point to where he's now going to contact corporate. He's done EVERYTHING (factory reset PS4, debugging safe mode, etc...)

Of course - if you learn about anything your end - please let us know. 

On 12/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, X_Wizi_X said:

2 days ago, while I was playing on Ps3 in offline mode, I tried to login but I got a message where I had to quit the game before going online. I thought that was pretty weird because that was the first time I saw a message like that. Thus, I quitted the game, went online and I had to accept the new Playstation privacy policy. Maybe it's related in some way

I had this two days ago also in the same scenario on ps3, I've never had it before but it looked like I was setting up a new account, it does make me think something has gone pop behind the scenes as the timeframe is the same as the original guys (slightly different/substantially worse) issue.

I had heard the network was down for a while in the morning too, no idea if that's related at all?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Unfortunately not man. :/ Here is the link to a Reddit post that's been updated by somebody far more dedicated than me to the cause and trying to get to the bottom of this situation. It's quite baffling at this point to where he's now going to contact corporate. He's done EVERYTHING (factory reset PS4, debugging safe mode, etc...)

Of course - if you learn about anything your end - please let us know. 

Aye, so I did what you were recommended to which was wait 24 hours and nothing happened. I chatted with a Playstation employee through there live text chat and was recommended to reset my router and you should be able to restore your license and the game should be unlocked. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you & anyone else that has this same problem. Shout out to Brendon on the Playstation Live Chat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HaGetOwned said:

Aye, so I did what you were recommended to which was wait 24 hours and nothing happened. I chatted with a Playstation employee through there live text chat and was recommended to reset my router and you should be able to restore your license and the game should be unlocked. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you & anyone else that has this same problem. Shout out to Brendon on the Playstation Live Chat.

Yoooooo thank you for this. I can't test out the method right now but I'll pass it along to the others.