(Rumor) Sony to unveil PS5 in February.

snakebit10

Source of the rumor: “anonymous insider”. Says enough for me. 

Here’s what I would do if I were in a decision making role with Sony marketing: Don't reveal the physical console until a month before the release date. Talk about some games that are coming so you can drive some pre-orders, give some system specs (vaguely if possible), and talk about some PS5 features.

Leave the discussion about its looks until the last month to drive people who thrive on that stuff crazy. Should the physical look of a game console dictate the decision to purchase it if it’s got all the games and features you’re looking for? No, it shouldn’t. I think it would work more in Sony’s favor to keep people talking about it by not revealing the console itself. 

28 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

ize1k8qng6941.jpg

Dev kits usually look different from consumer release.

PS1 - looks like a 1999 CPU. 

Ps2 - looks veery similar to the fat ps2 which I have. Remove the top stack and voila!

Ps3 - My god the ps3 looks like a freaking Sony VCR that we own haha. 

Ps4 - I don't Even know what that is :lol:

Ps5 - I honestly wouldn't mind having that in my room. I anticipate the final model might look similar to that given the ventilation needed for the supposed processing power of the ps5. 

• Like 3

I've read multiple sources that say that PlayStation fans will be "blown away" by the PS5 features so color me intrigued if this rumor is true. Hopefully, it tells us everything we want to know. The looks of it aren't important to me.

Like @Undead Wolf, I really want to know what kind of backwards compatibilities we are going to have and put all the rumors and talk to rest. 

• Like 1

*sighs*

I never mentioned this yet, but for this year (2020) I'll be focusing A LOT on reducing my PS3/Vita backlog to just a couple games. Shouldn't be too difficult, mainly because I have a lot more on my PS4 than I do on my PS3/Vita combined.

But..... there's just too much shit I still want to get on the PS4 and in addition to the sheer backlog I have, the PS5 hasn't tempted me at all thus far.

I just wish we were back in 2015 - 2016 without the worry of a looming next gen console tempting buyers and us trophy hunters to engage in yet another console generation.

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I just wish we were back in 2015 - 2016 without the worry of a looming next gen console tempting buyers and us trophy hunters to engage in yet another console generation.

Im pretty sure I can find a lot of posts about rumors of PS5 in 2015-2016. ?

Think about how slowly new generations start out though. There will not be a massive amount of new titles for at least a year into PS5 coming out so that gives you at least a year and a half to keep knocking out games like you have been. 

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Here’s what I would do if I were in a decision making role with Sony marketing: Don't reveal the physical console until a month before the release date. Talk about some games that are coming so you can drive some pre-orders, give some system specs (vaguely if possible), and talk about some PS5 features.

Leave the discussion about its looks until the last month to drive people who thrive on that stuff crazy. Should the physical look of a game console dictate the decision to purchase it if it’s got all the games and features you’re looking for? No, it shouldn’t. I think it would work more in Sony’s favor to keep people talking about it by not revealing the console itself. 

I'm not sure if there's a little tongue and cheek in here, but I don't see how that helps Sony.  Unveiling the look of the console earlier would give some time before release for people to get over it if they don't like it.

People (gamers) are ITCHING for excuses to not buy new stuff nowadays.  Same with new games.  Our backlogs aren't getting any smaller, many games have hundreds of hours of content and/or limitless replayability online, and new games are coming 2-3 big releases a month.  Instead of calling a spade a spade and saying "there are just too many great new games so I'm not going to buy some of them"... we have to find (or invent) reasons to crucify the ones we don't buy to validate not buying it.  No matter how trivial or petty it seems.

In this case... the look of the console shouldn't matter really outside of physical measurements for entertainment setups... but there will be a PR shitstorm if they unveil the new consoles look that close to release, because people will be looking for excuses to wait to get it or pass on it outright.  And that's the kind of petty, trivial thing that will derail the hype train pretty quick.

In this day of social media outrage over everything, you want to give some time for the chatter to die down and let those people move onto the next big issue.

Edited by Dreakon13

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

but there will be a PR shitstorm

All press is good press. Staying in the press is all that matters in marketing these days and this is a harmless way of doing that. 

I would argue that FOMO will override all of that shitposting and there is little actual risk to Sony if between now and then Sony lines up great titles and great features.

I also don’t think Sony designers will pull a 180 from their historic console designs and make it some monstrous or impractical design that people would be able to point to as the sole reason not to buy a PS5. 

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

All press is good press.

Eh, I don't think I'd agree with that. Look at the Xbox One, it could be argued that the continuous bad press it got when it was revealed is one of the reasons it has done so poorly compared to the PS4 this generation. A lot of the big issues people had with the system from the reveal were fixed before it was released, but the damage had already been done. 

Of course, that had to do with actual console features not just looks so it really isn't what we're talking about here, but still...

Parker

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

All press is good press. Staying in the press is all that matters in marketing these days and this is a harmless way of doing that. 

I would argue that FOMO will override all of that shitposting and there is little actual risk to Sony if between now and then Sony lines up great titles and great features.

I also don’t think Sony designers will pull a 180 from their historic console designs and make it some monstrous or impractical design that people would be able to point to as the sole reason not to buy a PS5. 

The whole "look" thing is kind of funny.  You can announce 10 games and most people will probably be interested in at least a few of them, same with whatever collection of new console features it may have... in other words, gamers can argue both sides and balance out the shitposting... but the console only has one look.  You like it or you don't.  I could see it being that trivial thing that sets off the people on the fence or the eternal pessimists (and there are a lot of them lol).

I guess I wouldn't save such a black and white matter for right before release.  If there are games and features to wow people with, let that be your lead in to release.

... but I could be wrong.  Maybe that's why I'm not making the big bucks at Sony right now. xD

Edited by Dreakon13