Server Closure Bad Move?

HOGIE838EIRE

6 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

It seems you may not know what money is or how businesses work.

At first I just expressed my opinion, more like a wish that would never come true. Just like many many other games are bummed ? for not being able to 100% another title, And you on the other hand personally insulted me. 

14 hours ago, MANARX said:

All game Devs should bring their  MP servers back. There are lots of players who would love to get certain games 100%. It’s a shame. It doesn’t cost them anything. Lots of gamers hurt when they can’t 100% because of un obtainable trophies. 

6 hours ago, MANARX said:

At first I just expressed my opinion, more like a wish that would never come true. Just like many many other games are bummed ? for not being able to 100% another title, And you on the other hand personally insulted me. 

If it is an opinion, it's an ill-informed one, since keeping and maintaining a server obviously costs money.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but whilst I'm here...I adore TLOU. One of my favourite games, but I never touched the online and I only play it on backup accounts so I could just soak in the story (over...and over...and over...)

How would a platinum run be in 2020? I know how to do all the SP trophies, but how difficult/grindy is the online on the PS4 version? I've heard certain requirements are easier... but is it possible to do without boosting? The MP always put me off trophy hunting in TLOU, candidly.

I would like to go for the Plat, if possible, as I will 100% be going for the plat in TLOU2. 

Hopefully the PS5 being BC with PS1, PS2 and PS3 rumor is true. Perhaps they will revive the servers for PS3 games on the PS5 specifically allowing everyone another chance at some their older unfinished games. But only if the Backward Compatibility is true. If not, I'll just be getting the Next Gen Xbox and settling on PORT-Station 4 being the last PlayStation Console I buy for a while.

Edited by anthonymorta_9

14 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Slightly off topic, but whilst I'm here...I adore TLOU. One of my favourite games, but I never touched the online and I only play it on backup accounts so I could just soak in the story (over...and over...and over...)

How would a platinum run be in 2020? I know how to do all the SP trophies, but how difficult/grindy is the online on the PS4 version? I've heard certain requirements are easier... but is it possible to do without boosting? The MP always put me off trophy hunting in TLOU, candidly.

I would like to go for the Plat, if possible, as I will 100% be going for the plat in TLOU2. 

I went for it recently, the MP should still be populated. It's doable without boosting, but you need to spend a lot of time playing online.

It depends on what you intend by "boosting" as well: if you mean with other people no, it's not required. Everything can be done solo as long as you're able to start matches, so the MP must be very active, and thankfully it is. By boosting in this MP you would mean to skip days in the journey to speed up the process, since you need to play something like 168 matches in total, at least.

The DLC trophies aren't that hard, once you get used to the gameplay, they're usuallly done while you're playing matches for the main journeys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/02/2020 at 9:10 AM, anthonymorta_9 said:

Hopefully the PS5 being BC with PS1, PS2 and PS3 rumor is true. Perhaps they will revive the servers for PS3 games on the PS5 specifically allowing everyone another chance at some their older unfinished games. But only if the Backward Compatibility is true. If not, I'll just be getting the Next Gen Xbox and settling on PORT-Station 4 being the last PlayStation Console I buy for a while.

I do not think that is how it works.

• Like 4

On 2020-02-03 at 4:38 AM, steel6burgh said:

I mean you only had 6 years to finish it.  I highly doubt they're sitting around having  conference about how they screwed up because HOGIE838IRE won't play TLOU2 because they shut down servers of a 6 plus year old game.  One of the best games of all time imo i don't see how they care what you think.  Gaming companies don't cater to desires of trophy hunters because trophy hunters are only a small fraction of gamers.  Sony caters to us because we typically buy 50 games to a non trophy hunters 5.  Trophy hunting benefits Sony much more than an individual gaming company,  Unless your business is selling trash game solely for easy platinum like ratalaka.

Just because the plats are easy doesn’t make the games that Ratalaika port trash. Most are decent or good indie games from PC. People need to fucking chill on their hateboners. Take a very long cold shower and listen to some love songs. Maybe you’ll stop being so hateful of something easily avoidable. Why people can’t just criticize the business model itself is beyond me, there’s plenty valid things to complain about. But no, always have to insult tons of indie devs who made the games that Rata port instead because Rata is lazy af with trophies and hands them out within the first 30m of gameplay.

anyhoo, people do return to old games and finish them. My list is filled with those. Luckily most are single player. Had servers remained up, I might have eventually felt like platting Resistance 2. Going to go back and do the rest of single player either way. Just because someone takes a long break doesn’t mean they’ll never return.

• Like 4

On 3/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, maiathewinners said:

You just want to platinum the PS3 version because it is an UR plat unlike the PS4 version, right? 

Heh, you got me.

It's never enjoyable when servers are closed,   but I bought the damn game in 2014 and never played it, so that's okay, I'll just play it on a throwaway profile when I'll feel like it.

8 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Just because the plats are easy doesn’t make the games that Ratalaika port trash. Most are decent or good indie games from PC. People need to fucking chill on their hateboners. Take a very long cold shower and listen to some love songs. Maybe you’ll stop being so hateful of something easily avoidable. Why people can’t just criticize the business model itself is beyond me, there’s plenty valid things to complain about. But no, always have to insult tons of indie devs who made the games that Rata port instead because Rata is lazy af with trophies and hands them out within the first 30m of gameplay.

anyhoo, people do return to old games and finish them. My list is filled with those. Luckily most are single player. Had servers remained up, I might have eventually felt like platting Resistance 2. Going to go back and do the rest of single player either way. Just because someone takes a long break doesn’t mean they’ll never return.

omg you think rata puts out 30 minute trophy lists because they're lazy???I don't think so they are exploiting dollars for trophies because nobody else is playing their games.  Some of the games are decently thought out yes but they are not something people are going to play for long so without the easy trophies they flat out wouldn't sell enough games at 4.99 to make it worth their wild.  So now if you want to compete for the leaderboards you're stuck paying thousands of dollars a year on shitty "indie" games that have about 30 minutes worth of content before you're bored and ready to move on all for a bunch of meaningless trophies.   Their games all follow the same formula for a reason and it's because that's the formula that works for them. 

7 hours ago, TheHarryGamer99 said:

Is this what trolling looks like? How can you say the The Last of Us is overrated and not explain yourself?

My reason for it being overrated is because of its story. It's just another typical zombie story. 

Plus, Joel's relationship with Ellie is just creepy. "You remind me of my dead daughter, sit on my lap and call me daddy." 

I'm exaggerating a bit, but still it is just weird. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The_Snooze said:

My reason for it being overrated is because of its story. It's just another typical zombie story. 

Plus, Joel's relationship with Ellie is just creepy. "You remind me of my dead daughter, sit on my lap and call me daddy." 

Gotta agree with you on the first point.  First time I played the game I got so bored with it I put it down multiple times. It could have actually moved away from the generic zombie stereotype if he let ellie be sacrificed for the greater good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Gotta agree with you on the first point.  First time I played the game I got so bored with it I put it down multiple times. It could have actually moved away from the generic zombie stereotype if he let ellie be sacrificed for the greater good

can not agree with that dude on any of his points

4 hours ago, The_Snooze said:

name one zombie/infected genre game that the last of us parallels. and joel never says sit on my lap to ellie or anything symbolic like that. in fact (SPOILER ALERT IF YOU READ ON) about 3/4 through the story Joel tells Ellie in a cruel manner she is not his daughter. it's only after he witnesses her perserverance of close to a years time that she wins him over 

• Like 1

i've not played any tlou on this account but finished it before, good game do miss it, but hate the idea of multiplayer trophies so putting it off, and won't bother with tlou 2 untill i've done first and since i don't really intend on playing any games coming out this year on the pro, i've got till ps5 comes out to do it.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, HOGIE838IRE said:

I know lol I just would rather tlou and tlou 2 on my profile rather than tlou remastered and tlou 2... I know I’m a complete weirdo ??????

That's just insane talk, I have OCD too, but this is a new level of it, not playing a game cause it doesn't say Remastered in the title is just plain nuts.

23 hours ago, The_Snooze said:

Exaggerating A LOT. Joel never once mentioned his daughter to Ellie, till she was told about her and swiped the picture from Tommy's wife. Joel never once acted inappropriate towards Ellie in any way through the whole game.

19 hours ago, Gemini-JohnnyT said:

can not agree with that dude on any of his points

name one zombie/infected genre game that the last of us parallels. and joel never says sit on my lap to ellie or anything symbolic like that. in fact (SPOILER ALERT IF YOU READ ON) about 3/4 through the story Joel tells Ellie in a cruel manner she is not his daughter. it's only after he witnesses her perserverance of close to a years time that she wins him over 

Exactly, I always thought Ellie's the one who sees Joel as a father figure, not him seeing her as his daughter. He shut that down in the scene you mentioned, because of all his losses, but in the end he felt differently.

Edited by Nitemares-----
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2020 at 4:26 AM, SnowxSakura said:

Zombies are generic, yes, but Joel and Ellie's relationship is at the forefront; it's about two people that are trying to survive emotionally, which happens to be set upon a backdrop of an apocolyptic world. Their physical survival is symbolic of their attempts to survive emotionally. Their relationship is the central experience, not the zombies. Joel's decision to save Ellie is therefore saving himself too. 

If it was a generic zombie story/game, they'd kill Ellie and "save humanity" but never really explore what "humanity" is.

You've completely missed the point. 

• Like 3