PS Vita is dead, it's over

drummerklg

I also don't care what other people about Vita, I still play my Vita. But please, we need more release game on this system. All of my hope are at Gamescom, there must be something new for Vita. And I dosen't mean those remake HD bullshit, or cross platform PS4 to Vita thingy. I mean exclusive that only on Vita..  

C'mon, make me feel like I love my Vita again!

I don't think the vita is dead just yet. If the games don't start coming by this time next year then it's safe to say that Sony lost out on so much potential. Either way I am glad I purchased a vita because without it I would have never tried games like Gravity rush, Guacamelee and Zero escape which imo should sell this system already.

Off-topic: Drummer your sig is funnnnny ^_^

• Like 1

Hmm... Guess I better get the de-fibulator out for my vita.... oh wait its alive and well :) The only thing I see really bad with the vita is... the price of memory cards they are just too exspensive and the lack of games? Well we have been getting more and more lately, but yea I could see it was a bit of a rough first year for the vita, but with all the promises with the connnectivity with the PS4, and if Sony was smart about the Vita/ps4 bundle i'm sure it will do fine.... The Vita is awesome this isn't the PSP GO, now that turd was dead in the water the second they made it 

They kept saying the same thing, word-for-word, about the PSP, which was also a great device that was underused. I don't think the Vita is dying, and I definitely don't think that it's dead, but I do think that people don't understand what to do with it. Sure, the core gamers do but those who think that 5-10 min in a game is enough and play primarily mobile games are going to be confused and put off by it. I think this is where the Vita hurts the most is from mobile games: why take out your Vita for a short bus ride when your phone will do? The other part of the equation is, of course, software.

Except a GoW or other AAA title won't do it. The Vita already has Assassin's Creed and Uncharted (the latter the much better choice), even Call of Duty, so it isn't necessarily the software either. I'd agree with others who say the cost of owning one is too high, mainly the storage card which is at an outrageous price. Sony did it with the PSP as well with their proprietary disc-based games.

Cut down the memory card price, allow users to use a cheaper alternative that isn't Sony, and Vita prices might just go through the roof. Out of all the variables here, this is the one that just hasn't been addressed by Sony and it needs to be.

With that said, I love my Vita even when it does cause circulation problems in my arms.

I sort of agree with Pachter yet I agree with some of the posters here. I only got the vita for two games- Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden. Nothing else garners my attention. The vita is declining because there's only a handful of good games on it at the moment. Once the good titles start coming out the sales will pick up I believe. Same thing is happening to the wii u: insufficient games = no reason to buy it. I also have just two games on the wii u - Pikmin 3 and Mario bros. They are both good and convenient systems but lacking the most important thing.

Why do people continuously give Michael Pachter a platform to speak.

He is generally wrong, and 75% of the time, completely out of touch with what he is actually discussing.

As others have said, Once the games come, it will sell.  They need to focus on unique IP's for the device rather than ports of PS3 games.

Completely agree with you on this.  The Wii U is just about in the same position, but does anybody say that it is dead? No! Just like the Wii U, the Vita is just waiting for the good games to come out.

Planning on getting the Vita for Persona 4 Golden and the Danganronpa remake that is coming out next year.

Price of memory cards aside, I think the drawback from getting a Vita would be the price of the Vita itself.

I mean when you can buy a Vita for the same price as a PS3, you would hope there would be greater compatability between the two systems. The PS4 compatability stats so far is a draw for many people.

As an independant system, you can't compare it to say a Gameboy in it's own right. The design in itself is better than the PsP and has alot more capabilities.

If you are talking about from a marketing stand point, you have to realise that not everyone is out there with $299 to spend on a Vita especially if they already have a PS3. I mean you could think that one would like it to add to the experience and that may be true in some ways. But the price of it alone detracts from purchase more than anything else.

• Like 2

I got my PS Vita on pre-release day (2-15-12) First Edition Bundle. It came with a 4GB card and that sufficed until I got a 32GB card for Christmas, which was on sale when it was purchased, a big sale.

I have always had something I could play on it. I was PS+ before the PS Vita, so immediately I had some mini's and PSP games from that, plus mini's and PSP games I'd purchased outright before.

There have been many good games that have come out for the PS Vita ever since ... I have quite a few, card and download. You can manage to play using a smaller card, but with a 4GB card you'll be happy for PS+ upload of game saves. I didn't have that option for the first several months of using my PS Vita with a 4GB card. The other thing is though, you can buy PSN games and put them on your PS Vita, then delete them, put them back on later if you want to, from the Download List, or using Content Manager to move stuff from your PS3 or PC.

PS Vita has had better and better updates to it's system software. It's a really awesome device, and nicer than when I first started using one.

Gamescon may give us more game announcements that will please everyone. That alone won't "Sell" more PS Vita's ... I don't know that most of us who own one already care much about that, hence the differing opinions about PS Vita is failing or not, just needs some more games, can live on ports, can't live on ports, etc.

Card prices are a result of hacking the PSP so much, Sony made a Proprietary Card, it's specific to the PS Vita, thus costly to the consumer. Prices come down on such things eventually. What if PS Vita Memory Card came down in price? Would it be enough to sell the system? Nah, would it be enough to please PS Vita Memory Card customers, yes for some, no for others. 

System price + Card Price + Stores Stocking MORE games in cases than they do. Games only coming out Digital is part of the problem. Commercials on TV about the PS Vita that are more than gaming on the go would be invaluable. I predict a new campaign that will have people gaming in their houses or on their decks or by the pool, with their PS Vita playing PS4 Remote Play, while someone else is on the same PS4 playing another game. <----- Sony is banking on that kind of idea, and I see it as exciting, but I already have my PS4 pre-ordered and got my PS Vita long ago.

• Like 1

I gotta say, for the most part, Pachter is the man when it comes to this stuff. Like he says, he's usually right 75-80% of the time.....that's why his opinion is so respected.

The truth is, the Vita is overpriced ($199 would be better) and the price of memory is outrageous. If you can get past those two things and you actually get the Vita in your hand, you will love it (Pachter, believe it or not, loves the machine.....he's mentioned it numerous times).

I think the Vita is one of the best purchases I've made. I'm hoping with the release of the PS4 there will be a major push for synergy between the two because once most people get their hands on a Vita, they will really enjoy it.

Ah, another Vita harbinger of doom. As far as I am concerned, this is most welcome news.  Why?

Because many of Pachter's predictions turn out wrong (I mean if you keep guessing, I'm sure you'll be right at some point).

So if he says Vita is dead, then there is a good chance Vita will be alive and kicking! =) 

I still have faith in Vita, just like I had faith in Sony since mid 2008 (when I bought my PS3).  Everyone said Sony failed, sales are low, Xbox is better blah blah blah.  The tides turned, however.  And I'm glad I stuck with it.  My intransigence was remunerated by the plethora of awesome exclusives!

• Like 2

Agreed. And the reason he is likely wrong here is because he is talking out of his @$$. Get some trend info or profit margin performance and forcasts before speculating that hard in a public forum.

How would any analyst worth their title make such a prediction now? The PS4 is mere months away and will have more interactivity with the Vita than the PS3 did. Besides, this is summer, when all retail sales except bathing suits and suntan lotion slow down. This summer in particular will have an extended slow down due to the fact new generation consoles are anticipated at the end of the year; no one wants to spend full price on systems that will be current for only a few months.

Bottom line, everything points to a PS Vita system price drop before the end of the year. When this happens, the system will perform better based on being accessible to a larger pool of consumers. A great historical precedent is the Nintendo 3DS, which sucked at launch but took off when they dropped the price. In addition, the PS4 launch will help broaden the appeal of the system and they already have a decent game library as well as the free games on PS plus, which will only help it

The only real issue I see remaining consistent into 2014, and it is a substantial issue, is the price of memory. If this can also be scaled down you will see the Vita sell like crazy.

CHECK IT OUT, PS Vita price drop effective tomorrow to $199 AND they are reducing the the price of memory. I nailed it completely :P

Choke on my analyst skills, Pachter!

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gamescom-2013/playstation-vita-gets-price-cut-6413245/

• Like 1

Pachter is a f****g idiot! The Vita is the best handheld ever made. I am SOO frickin tired of everyone saying there are not enough good games. At the moment all I really play is my Vita, and I am nowhere close to running out of games. I think the Vita will be given a shot in the arm with the pricedrop. In fact I think I am going to give my Vita away to a relative and buy another one. Yeah, its totally worth it.

Michael Pachter is an idiot, haha.

The VITA is NOT dead; the current pricing scheme is.

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a price-cut soon? Anyway, as soon as the memory cards are cheaper (and it gets more must-have games), it'll fly off the shelves.

Maybe Sony will even include a VITA bundle with the PS4? Come on Sony, make it happen :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I subscribed to PS+ ready for when I buy the PS4 at launch (I figured I might as well be enjoying the discounts and free stuff now). I also noticed that I got free stuff for Vita too (despite not owning one). So when Sony recently dropped the price of the Vita I decided that I should get one to maximise the benefit from the PS+ subscription. Have to say, I'm loving it!! And instantly got access to stuff like Hustle Kings and Wipeout on the Vita that I already had for the PS3 (which was a happy surprise since I hadn't known about the cross-buy thing before this!) In fact there are more games I want to play that I could download now, but they won't all fit on the 8gb memory card that came bundled with it!

I'm wondering how many more people will be prompted into buying a Vita on the back of the PS+ subscriptions they need for playing PS4 online?

That article is a load of crap. 

The PSP was a "failure" yet look at the how long Song has supported the device. 

In the 90's PC gaming was dying off. Yet despite the continued loss in PC sales due to smart phones and tablets PC gaming is up significantly.  

In the last few years everyone's been talking about the death of the Console and even the collapse of the industry. Yet both Sony and Microsoft have smashed previous preorder figures. And China will most likely be ending it's 13 year ban on game consoles in the near future. That opens up a huge market for both traditional consoles and handheld devices.

Vita will probably never sell anywhere near the numbers of Nintendo handhelds but it doesn't need to. The vast majority of Vita owners are satisfied with the system and it has the largest game attachment rate out of any console or handheld. 

• Like 1

I don't own a Vita, so I don't know much about the system.

I know about Pachter, though, and I can say that, without any shadow of a doubt, this self-proclaimed "analyst" is a hack.  Unless, of course, that by "analyst" he means "he who pulls information out of his anus".

So, really, don't pay attention to anything he says.  If he happens to say something that ends up being true it's by sheer coincidence.

• Like 2

I don't have a vita I've thought about getting one but there aren't many games that appeal to me uncharted golden abyss is probably the only one, and now since I'm ps plus they give me a few vita games which I put on my download list incase I buy one. I guess I just want them to bring out better games and a lot more then what they have now because there isn't much choice, which is the only reason why I haven't bought one.