PS Vita is dead, it's over

drummerklg

Wedbush Securities analyst and gaming industry Nostradamus Michael Pachter has delivered a damning verdict on the future of PlayStation Vita.

Speaking on his show, Pach-Attack, where he regularly delivers headline-grabbing insights, he’s predicted that Vita is already dead despite the fact that it was only released in 2012.

“I think if they made the PS Vita in different colors it wouldn’t sell more, says Pachter. “The only thing that’s going to sell more Vitas is compelling software. God, I shudder to tell you how many units of Vita were sold this month, but the answer is ‘not very many’. The Vita is dead, it’s over. It’s a really great device that nobody thinks they need so no one’s buying it – it is really slick, if you get one you will like it.”

Vita is a great piece of hardware with some impressive games but reports suggest that it hasn't sold as many units as expected and Pachter belives that even the compatibility with PS4 won’t save it. Sony thinks otherwise:

"Remote Play on the PS4 system fully unlocks the PlayStation Vita system's potential, making it the ultimate companion device. With the PS Vita system, gamers will be able to seamlessly play a range of PS4 titles on the beautiful 5-inch display over Wi-Fi access points in a local area network."

What’s your thoughts on the future of Vita? Do you agree with Pachter?

Source:http://www.psu.com/a020466/PlayStation-Vita-is-dead-its-over-says-Pachter-who-believes-PS4-Remote-Play-wont-save-Sonys-handheld

All I know is, I'm waiting for Gamescom so Sony can announce the PS4/Vita bundle.  That is when I will get my Vita :lol:

I agree with the bundle thing. until that is announced to be fake (or true, we can hope), I likely won't be getting a Vita.

It has a few easy plats, and uncharted: Golden Abyss, but that's all that appeals to me really.

Now, if there were some Ratchet exclusives like on the PSP or some Sly exclusives...

I really think a Jak 4 PS Vita exclusive would sell the console - people have been asking for jak 4 for years.

• Like 1

I agree with the bundle thing. until that is announced to be fake (or true, we can hope), I likely won't be getting a Vita.

It has a few easy plats, and uncharted: Golden Abyss, but that's all that appeals to me really.

Now, if there were some Ratchet exclusives like on the PSP or some Sly exclusives...

I really think a Jak 4 PS Vita exclusive would sell the console - people have been asking for jak 4 for years.

Totally agree with you on Jak 4, especially considering I heard the Jak ports are awful.

I got my Vita before PS3 and in some points it's better than PS3. Custom music while playing games and Zen Pinball 2 vertical full table is super nice!

Preordered Killzone Mercenary and Batman Origins with bonuses.

Of course the thumbsticks isnt on par with PS3 with kontrol freeks but I have the controller grip and that works great. Much better for games like Unit 13.

Edited by Eskobar-M92

i think the vita has a long life ahead of it but 2 thing need to happen

1. ps4 needs to come out and when it does the need to demonstrate everything that can be accomplished when you have a ps4 and a psvita. 

2. the vita needs more exclusives, the big time publishers need to be convinced that this is a great system. they need to be convinced that this is worth investing time and money into. if they don't do this then whats going to happen is they are going to keep releasing ios games on the vita like doodle god and fruit ninja and people are going to idenify this thing as a bigger ....more expensive ipod. 

• Like 1

its sad because i absolutely LOVE my Vita... but then again it will always come second to playing my PS3

but i play games like Disgaea 3 and the experience lasts a long time...

but the bottom line is what most of us have already said... we need some great exclusives... and a lot of them... the PSP has a TRUCK load of games and was an amazing handheld... I think they need to bring some of those titles over as HD remakes or something... People who don't own a Vita don't know what they are missing... but its a vicious circle because no one wants to buy a Vita when there aren't any great games for it and no developers want to make games for it because not many people own one... one side of the fence will need to give...

With the PS4/Vita bundle coming out we might see this change... it would be a great move by Sony to actually get one in the hands of the people.

I've been playing my vita on a daily basis since I bought it 6 months ago, it's the best console I have owned. New games are continuing to be released here, and even more new games are coming out in Japan. I agree it needs more great exclusives but there is still a lot to enjoy, but a console is not dead just because some analyst says it's dead.

Edited by chanchibar
  • Like 1

I think the PS Vita needs some refinement. Not with the console it's self, but more so the games and accessories for the Vita. Especially the memory cards! I mean c'mon, a 32G card is $99.99. That's way to over priced in my eyes. I also think the console it's self is over priced compared to other handheld consoles. Also the collection of games is slim. However time will solve that issue. Honestly I travel a lot. And when I'm out of town, I am so thankful for my Vita. I also work night shift at a local gym. When it's quiet I like to bring it out and burn time...

Getting paid to play my Vita... What more can you ask for?

The main issues I see are firstly SCEE, they ruin everything and make me wary of buying any future Sony product.

Secondly as with every console there is still a huge lack of games, I have no intention of even looking at the PS4/Kinnexbox for at least a year, there simply is so little point, its somewhat concerning that there still isnt that many exclusives/decent ports, made worse in Europe by the fact that we so rarely see them decently priced digitally or in sales.

The memorycards are also ridiculously expensive, untill they get realistic (I think its better in America? where they have bigger memory for less overall price?) I have no intention of even looking at one.

Is it "dead"? unlikely, if its bundled with the PS4 more games should sell at the very least, it should really be competing against tablets and phones imo, afaia there are very few app style games, as much as I dislike them and have no use for them and certainly it shouldnt focus on them, if it were to include that functionality I cant see why it would hurt.

Why do people continuously give Michael Pachter a platform to speak.

He is generally wrong, and 75% of the time, completely out of touch with what he is actually discussing.

As others have said, Once the games come, it will sell.  They need to focus on unique IP's for the device rather than ports of PS3 games.

• Like 4

All I need from Sony to lower that Price on memory card. It's too over pricing...

Will it dead? I don't think so. Since many new title are coming > J-stars victory, God Eater 2, FFX HD.. Those games will kick the sell.

And for Gamescom please give something to Vita or I will change my mine.

I love my vita.  Play it daily.  poor card pricing hurts it a lot.  Should be 50% less and have bigger cards.

I believe if the PS4/vita $500 launch package happens, it will not only reverse the vita's grim fate, but will probably blow xbox out of the water.  Think about it, every person on the fence will think "hmmmm do I want Kinect or a portable system that also can work as a second screen?" Maybe then we'll get a Bioshock Vita and other missing titles, like Infamous, god of war, Jak, R&C and so on.

• Like 1

Software sells hardware.

If you don't have the software,you're not going to sell a lot of hardware.

When I look at the problem, it isn't the games... it's people.  Whenever anyone mentions lack of games it always seems to be followed up with something like "it needs a Bioshock or God of War".  If people were willing to get outside of their little boxes and try something new there's a Ton of titles that are quality games.

Even if they did release a "Bioshock or God of War" for the Vita,will gamers still buy the system?

A price cut for the Vita will really help sell more systems.

It's such a wonderful handheld, makes me sad to see it struggle. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but I like when everyone comes on top, so is better for us, gamers. I really love my vita, and bought launch day, but I agree with no games, hopefully with the ps4 and their connectivity, will be different.