FF7 Remake Demo is live

33 minutes ago, Benfoxy83 said:

Don't know if anyone said it yet, but do get a theme for playing the demo? There's a thing if u buy a Butterfinger/Crunch u get a download code for a Tifa Theme.

There is a theme you get for downloading the demo, but you can't actually download it till next month.

Didn't know about the candybar Tifa one, though, thanks for that.

16 minutes ago, Bittersweet said:

Promotion is live from 3/3 to 4/14, you'll have to buy two of either Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, or Crunch bars.

So yes, let's buy chocolate for Tifa.:dance:

I haven't had a Crunch bar in year, at least since 2010. I could have one with lunch, why not.

Looking up the theme, it's actually pretty nice and is of an iconic part of the game.

1 minute ago, Jelly Soup said:

I haven't had a Crunch bar in year, at least since 2010. I could have one with lunch, why not.

Looking up the theme, it's actually pretty nice and is of an iconic part of the game.

Unless it's dark chocolate, I haven't eaten much of candy bars in years either. I'm gonna get some because Tifa is one of my favs and it's so nice that Square remade the character scenery images~

Played the demo earlier, visuals and music are certainly nice and movement/combat is so fluid. And damn, the details! I kinda felt like a nerd when i got giddy seeing the materia on Cloud's sword swirl around inside lol. Did it on normal; was ok, but I can understand the critiques on character actions and inputs.

2 hours ago, Astray404 said:

I finished the demo earlier this day and I would like to say that although the cutscene and rendering look pretty nice, the combat is the only thing that I am worrying about.

As you said, at the end of the demo, where there are two ninja guards and two turrets, when I am controlling Cloud, I would like to let Barret focus on those two turrets since in the demo he is the only character that could do ranged attack. However, there is no tactical setting like the gambit system in FF12, so Barret keeps shooting those ninja guards and there's no way to stop those turrets unless I switch to Barret.

Besides, the dodge seems not as useful as the parry (or guard), since I can't tell if there are iframes in the system or not. When I tried to dodge missiles from the guard scorpion, no matter when I press the dodge button Cloud will always get hurt, and it seems that the safest way is to hold the R1 (parry button). The camera is hard to tell but sometimes could be horrible since it is too close to my character. My friend told me that I can adjust the camera distance but I haven't try it yet. The enemy-locking system could be annoying when using Cloud or Barret, especially when two or more enemies are right next to each other. I think that I also had similar issues in some KH games, that the system assumes the nearest enemy is the one that you should lock-on. Then with the auto-positioning while attacking, Cloud could randomly rush to any enemies that is right next to each other.

Using the ATB gauge to use items seems not that hard for me, and I would like to consider it more like a challenge.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the dodge. I didn't feel like it was really doing anything for me so I stopped using it. If there were invincibility frames then I would assume it's really strict. It would be weird if there weren't any though since XV had a dodge mechanic that would usually work. But yeah, blocking seemed a lot more effective even if you do take some chip damage from it. And yeah, the lock-on thing screwed me over once with Barret since I had him shoot a charged attack at an enemy but instead he tried aiming for one that was barely behind cover and it got wasted.

I haven't played FF12 myself but I know the gameplay has it where you set up things like macros in an MMO which can help you give a lot of control over the fight and I think something similar would be nice at least. Maybe not MMO level but just something where you don't have to worry so much about what's happening with the other party members.

2 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the dodge. I didn't feel like it was really doing anything for me so I stopped using it. If there were invincibility frames then I would assume it's really strict. It would be weird if there weren't any though since XV had a dodge mechanic that would usually work. But yeah, blocking seemed a lot more effective even if you do take some chip damage from it. And yeah, the lock-on thing screwed me over once with Barret since I had him shoot a charged attack at an enemy but instead he tried aiming for one that was barely behind cover and it got wasted.

I haven't played FF12 myself but I know the gameplay has it where you set up things like macros in an MMO which can help you give a lot of control over the fight and I think something similar would be nice at least. Maybe not MMO level but just something where you don't have to worry so much about what's happening with the other party members.

Most dmg in the demo looks like chip damages, as other RPG games, so I assume that the "dodge" is just a faster movement to get out of some aoe areas...

I didn't want to check out the demo because I wanted the experience to feel as fresh as possible, but it looks like I might have to. If it plays like FF15, I think I want to know now and wait for the game to go on sale. FF15 combat wasn't really fun for me.

9 hours ago, Redgrave said:

So I felt like a lot of the boss fight was opening the menu to use potions which is something that I didn't like about FFXV but as far as regular enemies go it wasn't bad.

You don't have to open the menu, i think you can use shortcuts, i.e. L1+Circle for Cloud.

4 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

If it plays like FF15, I think I want to know now and wait for the game to go on sale. FF15 combat wasn't really fun for me.

The combat in Remake is a lot more polished and tactical, but it's still a real-time system. If you didn't like the combat in FF15, you might not like this either.

Personally, I think it's best combat system in a FF game since FF12, maybe even 10.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astray404 said:

I finished the demo earlier this day and I would like to say that although the cutscene and rendering look pretty nice, the combat is the only thing that I am worrying about.

As you said, at the end of the demo, where there are two ninja guards and two turrets, when I am controlling Cloud, I would like to let Barret focus on those two turrets since in the demo he is the only character that could do ranged attack. However, there is no tactical setting like the gambit system in FF12, so Barret keeps shooting those ninja guards and there's no way to stop those turrets unless I switch to Barret.

Besides, the dodge seems not as useful as the parry (or guard), since I can't tell if there are iframes in the system or not. When I tried to dodge missiles from the guard scorpion, no matter when I press the dodge button Cloud will always get hurt, and it seems that the safest way is to hold the R1 (parry button). The camera is hard to tell but sometimes could be horrible since it is too close to my character. My friend told me that I can adjust the camera distance but I haven't try it yet. The enemy-locking system could be annoying when using Cloud or Barret, especially when two or more enemies are right next to each other. I think that I also had similar issues in some KH games, that the system assumes the nearest enemy is the one that you should lock-on. Then with the auto-positioning while attacking, Cloud could randomly rush to any enemies that is right next to each other.

Using the ATB gauge to use items seems not that hard for me, and I would like to consider it more like a challenge.

Perfectly put. The two things I didnt quite like about this game was that potion spam is a big thing, I used 15 potions in the boss, it was like 2 potions per minute and that gets quite boring quite fast. And I had a limit break with Cloud before the boss fight and when I got to the boss I didnt had it anymore, probably AI Cloud used it on trash mobs when I was controlling Barret. I searched the options and there is nothing about preventing allies from using limit breaks, I hope we dont have to keep wasting limit in trash encounters. I think they could make a simplistic gambit system for this game and the combat would flow much much better, allies use potions if HP <50% and use cure if HP <30%. I really like the gambit from FF12 and if they are going so action packed with this game as it looked like with the demo we definitely need some way to tell the AI to do things.

Edit: another thing that I remembered. The game is really fast, specially with the boss and the ninja dudes after the boss so blocking is a pain, maybe I need to train my reflexes but damn you just get overwhelmed by the amount of attacks coming and dodge doesnt feel good either, I think we dont get iframes with dodge because I never manage to actually evade damage with it. During the boss fight when it does that electric blast I always dodge backwards but always got hit anyways.

Edited by Montyzu

5 hours ago, XXIIlII said:

Meh didn't like it. FF15 has a better and more fluid combat. Better graphics too which doesn't make any sense coz 15 is open world and 7 isn't.

I was pretty excited for this demo; back in the day, you had to buy Tobal No. 1 to get such a demo. And it was...eh. It just feels too much like modern Squeenix for my taste. The graphics looked great, and I imagine they'll look even better later. But like others, the combat was just annoying to me. And like the dude above, I really wish I could just set a simple gambit system. We don't need a 102,421 of them like FF XII had; I imagine I could get by with just 20 or so.

As usual, I'll wait for a big price drop in the physical release. 

5 hours ago, Montyzu said:

The two things I didnt quite like about this game was that potion spam is a big thing, I used 15 potions in the boss, it was like 2 potions per minute and that gets quite boring quite fast.

Same. Having to use so many potions made me feel like I was playing the game wrong or something. It was my first attempt at the demo so maybe I'm just not good at it yet and have more to learn about the controls/combat but I had the same initial impression regarding having to heal.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:31 AM, AerisFlowerGirl said:

Hype!!! Now can we get some FF7 avatars please?

Right?? I gave myself a custom Barret one b/c he looks so damn good in the remake, but it'd be great if they could make an official one that'd show up everywhere.

10 minutes ago, lurch_9944 said:

Anyone know if your progress in the demo carries into the full game?

It does not. It says it right there in the description when you click on the Demo in the store if you wanna fact check me.

I was also a little bit frustrated with the combat but I just figured it was because I was not used to it yet and I would get better at it the more I played. Overall I loved the game so far and will be pre-ordering it very soon!

Edited by joho_beast

Are they releasing the other parts on PS4 or are they going to be on PS5? I enjoyed playing the demo, I don't know if I'll pick it up though as there might be a PS5 version down the line...it's tempting though, it's got crisis core vibes and I really liked that game.

This is pretty sweet! Although in all honesty, I'm probably gonna just wait til it actually comes out. What's a bonus for me is that it's been over 2 decades since I played through the first one, so it's almost going to be like playing again for the first time! 

It can't hold a candle to the turn-based combat of the original (classic mode is by no means a decent replacement either), but at least it was pretty. ? So this pretty much confirmed I won't be getting it till all 3 (?) games are out... maybe in a collection too. :hmm:

2 hours ago, xh117 said:

Are they releasing the other parts on PS4 or are they going to be on PS5? I enjoyed playing the demo, I don't know if I'll pick it up though as there might be a PS5 version down the line...it's tempting though, it's got crisis core vibes and I really liked that game.

They will all be on PS4. The director said that they were not ready yet to fully push full swing into the next generation-only titles or releases. With PS5 having backwards compatibility, they are already developing part 2 for the PS4 and any other parts will follow suit to utilize the BC. That said though down the line there might be a PS5 version that maybe enhances the details even further, but that won't happen until the entire development is completed. 

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demo made me that much more confident in my pre-order of the deluxe edition. Never played, experienced and know very little about FF7  but I have played other-turn based Final Fantasy games before (FF4, 5, 6, 12, 13 and the real time ff15). FF7R combat seems to be the marriage between turn based and real-time-action that the devs have been playing with since Final Fantasy 12. People that expect the old turn based to be around in the modern era make me chuckle a little. I'm glad they are taking the time to invent and expand upon the formula instead of sticking to the old. Will be a fresh experience for the oldies and the new generation of gamers at the same time. Combat feels extremely natural having played Final Fantasy 13 and 15 all the way through (twice!). Using the short-cut commands in real time is smooth, swapping characters is easy (Final Fantasy 13 paradigm shift reflexes)!  Might just be me but the combat is awesome and I can't wait to see how it evolves as the characters grow/customization unlocks for the characters. Absolutely cannot wait for April 10th and I'm so happy not going into this with nostalgia glasses so I can judge the game solely based on what's presented to me instead of trying to inject what I think the game should be.  

Edited by SanctifiedSword
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, SanctifiedSword said:

They will all be on PS4. The director said that they were not ready yet to fully push full swing into the next generation-only titles or releases. With PS5 having backwards compatibility, they are already developing part 2 for the PS4 and any other parts will follow suit to utilize the BC. That said though down the line there might be a PS5 version that maybe enhances the details even further, but that won't happen until the entire development is completed. 

Source

It doesn't really say that the next parts will also come to PS4 though. However, i'm expecting at least Part 2 to be on PS4. Maybe we'll see how the hypothetical new World Map runs on that hardware...

Edited by Lance_87

1 hour ago, SanctifiedSword said:

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demo made me that much more confident in my pre-order of the deluxe edition. Never played, experienced and know very little about FF7  but I have played other-turn based Final Fantasy games before (FF4, 5, 6, 12, 13 and the real time ff15). FF7R combat seems to be the marriage between turn based and real-time-action that the devs have been playing with since Final Fantasy 12. People that expect the old turn based to be around in the modern era make me chuckle a little. I'm glad they are taking the time to invent and expand upon the formula instead of sticking to the old. Will be a fresh experience for the oldies and the new generation of gamers at the same time. Combat feels extremely natural having played Final Fantasy 13 and 15 all the way through (twice!). Using the short-cut commands in real time is smooth, swapping characters is easy (Final Fantasy 13 paradigm shift reflexes)!  Might just be me but the combat is awesome and I can't wait to see how it evolves as the characters grow/customization unlocks for the characters. Absolutely cannot wait for April 10th and I'm so happy not going into this with nostalgia glasses so I can judge the game solely based on what's presented to me instead of trying to inject what I think the game should be.  

Nice hopefully at least part 2 is on PS4, I was definitely feeling a little FF12 from the demo, since I had just played that recently the character switching felt natural to me as well. Wish they would port FF13 to PS4, you would think that would be really easy for them to do since there's already a full HD PC port.

• Like 1