DLC difficulty is a 6 out of 10 at least, IMO

AJ_Radio

@soliunasm basically fucking nailed it.

I couldn't be the only one who felt the time trials were difficult. You basically have to be a perfectionist to get the three gold stars.

Didn't see those posts because of all the threads these past few months regarding the online trophies.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Well I can't do the P1 Hot Lap.

Just going to get the platinum trophy and get the last online trophy in Bikes and say "fuck it" for a while. This game is demanding too much from me right now.

If it's hard for you, practice is the key ^^

If you stop for a while, you will have to do the learning curve back to 0 again ... specially if you are not a big fan of racing games =/

I think you should go for it while you are still at it ;)

Eventually you will make the perfect race and get it !

Edited by seblegamer

I FINALLY did P1 Hot Lap. Took me well over two hours to pull off alone, probably close to three hours.

Anything with 'Hot Lap' in it is a bitch. A few time trials are so much easier than others... there's no balance whatsoever.

That's my biggest complaint with this game. I love the base game for Driveclub, the DRIVECLUB Tour (DLC Pack 1) was enjoyable. The All Stars DLC was fun and easy enough to be beaten by the average player. But as far as the rest of the DLC packs go the difficulty is all over the fucking place.

The races aren't that bad, sure there's rubber banding but there's usually ways to stay ahead in first place. The drift events in difficulty is what the rest of Driveclub should of been. They're perfect in terms of challenge and even some of the 'tougher' ones are easily doable by the average player. The challenges in most of the races can be obtained on the second or third go around.

Still, some the races are quite a bit harder than others, and the same goes for drifts.

But these time trials? Nope, if you're not a perfectionist, doing good drifts around corners while maintaining your speed, and basically holding the R2 button all the way, you're NOT getting that lap time. I fucking hate these time trials in Driveclub. P1 Hot Lap is so infuriating because you HAVE to use KERS and DRS, which is explained absolutely nowhere in the game and I had to look them up. The slightest mistake in some of these time trials and you're not getting that time, so you might as well start over. You might as well start over 100+ times if you're not that good at racing games.

I'm willing to bet everything that without these time trials, all the trophies in the DLC would be rare (10 percent) or higher in rarity, even the ones for getting all the gold stars. A lot of the ones that are rare would probably be uncommon.

Sorry, just had to rant and get this off my chest.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

7/10 is a fair rating for the difficulty. I remember struggling a bit with the P1 also, mainly because the physics while DRS is on is wonky as hell. The car shouldn't feel like it's on ice while DRS activated on straights.

Other than that and Venom Hot Lap 2 though I can't remember having too much trouble with the DLC myself.

Was fun to see so many people play Driveclub finally, shame it's too little too late though for both Evolution and the series.

38 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I FINALLY did P1 Hot Lap. Took me well over two hours to pull off alone, probably close to three hours.

Anything with 'Hot Lap' in it is a bitch. A few time trials are so much easier than others... there's no balance whatsoever.

That's my biggest complaint with this game. I love the base game for Driveclub, the DRIVECLUB Tour (DLC Pack 1) was enjoyable. The All Stars DLC was fun and easy enough to be beaten by the average player. But as far as the rest of the DLC packs go the difficulty is all over the fucking place.

The races aren't that bad, sure there's rubber banding but there's usually ways to stay ahead in first place. The drift events in difficulty is what the rest of Driveclub should of been. They're perfect in terms of challenge and even some of the 'tougher' ones are easily doable by the average player. The challenges in most of the races can be obtained on the second or third go around.

Still, some the races are quite a bit harder than others, and the same goes for drifts.

But these time trials? Nope, if you're not a perfectionist, doing good drifts around corners while maintaining your speed, and basically holding the R2 button all the way, you're NOT getting that lap time. I fucking hate these time trials in Driveclub. P1 Hot Lap is so infuriating because you HAVE to use KERS and DRS, which is explained absolutely nowhere in the game and I had to look them up. The slightest mistake in some of these time trials and you're not getting that time, so you might as well start over. You might as well start over 100+ times if you're not that good at racing games.

I'm willing to bet everything that without these time trials, all the trophies in the DLC would be rare (10 percent) or higher in rarity, even the ones for getting all the gold stars. A lot of the ones that are rare would probably be uncommon.

Sorry, just had to rant and get this off my chest.

I'll give you an advice, leave the drifting just for drift events. On races and hotlaps learn to do all curves without ever touching the hand brakes, use just the regular brake. By doing that you will beat the gold star times by a big margin and no rubber band will make the opponent AI cars getting near you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

A Class Buggy from the Evolution DLC?

It could be. I did it a long time ago. I remember the buggy was yellow and the event was in heavy rain. You can see the gold ghost going off the track and cutting corners and it’s the only way to get the time you need

22 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

7/10 is a fair rating for the difficulty. I remember struggling a bit with the P1 also, mainly because the physics while DRS is on is wonky as hell. The car shouldn't feel like it's on ice while DRS activated on straights.

Other than that and Venom Hot Lap 2 though I can't remember having too much trouble with the DLC myself.

Was fun to see so many people play Driveclub finally, shame it's too little too late though for both Evolution and the series.

Nothing extreme of course, just pretty aggravating for some of the events.

I bought Driveclub back in 2016 actually... wasn't sure I was even going to get around to it. Evolution has been gone for four years now, amazing the servers have been up for as long as they have. Hopefully all those guys that were there have found other jobs.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

What's difficult for you personally I might consider to be pretty easy, and vice versa.

I agree that difficulty is subjective. The 3/10 (5/10 for those 3 events) was weighed against all the other racing games I’ve played and you can see from my profile I’ve done pretty much all of them. For comparison milestone racers are usually 2-3/10. A 7/10 racing game would be something like Isle of Man TT or moto gp 19 where you have simulation physics to contend with along with fast ai. Games like GT5 and assetto would be 9/10

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Edited by Warlord99956

Yes I do remember the DLC being oddly hard for some reason. I know some were just as easy as the main game career objectives, then some were just brutal in comparison. Nothing that took hours of practice though. Maybe an extra 15-20 minutes to figure out the racing line and how the car handles. I only bought all the DLC because the game was actually fun to play and it looked amazing. The more I enjoyed it the easier it was to play I guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warlord99956 said:

I agree that difficulty is subjective. The 3/10 (5/10 for those 3 events) was weighed against all the other racing games I’ve played and you can see from my profile I’ve done pretty much all of them. For comparison milestone racers are usually 2-3/10. A 7/10 racing game would be something like Isle of Man TT or moto gp 19 where you have simulation physics to contend with along with fast ai. Games like GT5 and assetto would be 9/10.

Not sure what's up with the multiple repeats.

I'm not a racing car guy, my profile is evident of it. I primarily did Driveclub basically to get all the online before the server shutdown.

The fact a few people on the Fastest Achievers list got all the trophies in under a week... pretty crazy.

6 minutes ago, Joker-Kun890 said:

I'm pretty bad at racing games and barely play them, so for me the dlc is super hard. 1f605.png I probably won't go for the 100%. I'd probably have to put in ALOT of hours to get good enough, and it's just not my genre of game. 

I'm in the same boat.

Average players can do the race and drift events with a little practice. It's the time trials that are hard.

• Like 1

Make sure you don't have braking assist on as I believe it is on by default or at least it was in Driveclub VR.  It slows you down heavily and makes meeting the time requirements a lot harder than it should be, but isn't obvious at all when it is enabled.

• Like 3

LOL i was thinking "What's wrong with P1 Hot Lap? I don't remember having problems with it" AND I'VE JUST DISCOVERED IT'S IN ONE OF THE DLC TOURS I HAVEN'T DONE YET. Because that one is named "Photo Finish", i confused it with "Finish Line" lol. Anyway i've just completed the "Midnight" one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spaz said:

Not sure what's up with the multiple repeats.

Sorry about that! The forum freaked out when I was posting the reply. 

13 hours ago, Spaz said:

The fact a few people on the Fastest Achievers list got all the trophies in under a week... pretty crazy.

Under a week is impressive due to the large amount of events but doable if you don’t have to go to work!

• Like 1

It depends.  I'd say people who aren't good at racing games will give this game at least a 7.  For me, it was around a 5.  The only races that took me a few extra minutes to get the stars on was the Venom Hot Lap (both of them) and the AMG.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

It depends.  I'd say people who aren't good at racing games will give this game at least a 7.  For me, it was around a 5.  The only races that took me a few extra minutes to get the stars on was the Venom Hot Lap (both of them) and the AMG.  

Well I mean, you did Gran Turismo 5, which is fucking impressive no matter what anybody says about it.

You had the experience. Me on the other hand, not so much.

It's all subjective. What's hard for you might be easy for me, and vice versa.

• Like 2

The insane thing is that there are people who finished it in a lapse of 2-3 days. 100%. I don't know if they are somehow really skillful about this games like this guy who basically finished all the challenges of the main campaing in a single sit. Also, I'm grinding the DLC and they are absolutely challenging, and at the moment, I'm stuck with the first one. I'm will say at least that difficulty is absurd. You need to do it perfectly at each tour and despite mastering, there are many other details to consider, even if you memorized the whole track. Yeah, Driveclub is honestly an unexpected challenge. 

Edit: the OP nailed it, I'm sure it's the thing. I'm playing many "hard" games right now, and basically for me Driveclub is challenging but at the same time is fun. I'm not so fan for racing games, but I find this one a really good to start over the genre. Also, as the comment comes from Sonic Mania, for me was challenging, but did it at the end. I believe that the core thing for an average or for some not-used racing gamer, the key is perseverance and not giving up. I have a huge backlog, and want to finish this by ending the month, so yeah, this going to take time, but to hell that, I'm getting used to the controls and the learning curve is disruptive that allows you a lot of improvement if you get creative and start applying new techniques to certian tours. But overall, I agree, I'll give surely a 7/10 for the whole DLC.  

Edited by Xenoblast91
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xenoblast91 said:

The insane thing is that there are people who finished it in a lapse of 2-3 days. 100%. I don't know if they are somehow really skillful about this games like this guy who basically finished all the challenges of the main campaing in a single sit. Also, I'm grinding the DLC and they are absolutely challenging, and at the moment, I'm stuck with the first one. I'm will say at least that difficulty is absurd. You need to do it perfectly at each tour and despite mastering, there are many other details to consider, even if you memorized the whole track. Yeah, Driveclub is honestly an unexpected challenge. 

My guess is they played a lot of racing games prior to Driveclub. The more difficult racing games require you to be more specific in beating their tracks. There's a lot more than just holding down the brake and acceleration buttons, there are things like exactly what part of the track you're on, and techniques like going out and then going through an inside corner.

Regardless, the guys who did 100 percent Driveclub in under a week, I tip my hat to them. Respect.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ShianKiri said:

I didn't personally find the game to be that hard and I'm no expert at these kinds of games. You just have to learn how to play it much in the same way you have to learn how to platform playing Super Mario Bros 1.

In terms of skill and technique, you just have to know that it's more than just using R2 and L2. There is also understanding what O does and how to use that to maintain your speed around corners. I would say at worst, you have to know what cornering is and what "lines" are so you can optimize your turns so you can take them without sacrificing more speed than you have to and how to take a "line" so you can pass and get your tires to grip the ground so you can accelerate again as soon as possible. Instinctively, you already know what these things are, you just have to play the game a lot to be able to apply it.

In terms of actual execution of said skill and technique, what changes the calculus of the difficulty of this game, at least for me, is Venom Hot Lap 1 and Venom Hot Lap 2 where one of them asks you to do mostly cornering and line selection properly, the other one asks you to do that while dealing with bad weather and poor visibility. There are no other events in this entire game where you have to actually execute skill and technique near perfectly to get max stars.

Other than that, I felt the 5 / 10 was pretty spot on.
If every event was Venom Hot Lap 1 and Venom Hot Lap 2, I'd easily say this is a 10 / 10, hands down no questions asked.

It's been some time that I beat the DLC but I'd agree with this statement.  Practise is key, you will eventually get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smashero said:

Wait until you will get into AMG DLC. Then you can seriously complain ;).

Nothing in the game compares to the One Man, One Engine event in the AMG dlc. If you can do that, then the rest of the game is a breeze. Took me a solid hour of just ploughing myself into the walls until i beat it

• Like 2