re3 remake, concerned about nemesis design

UlvenFenrir

i played the demo and thought it looks even better than re2 remake and it runs really great too and everything looks great except for nemesis. i mean i like his design but his ai? am i the only one who found him sluggish and annoying? not annoying as in i dont like enemies chasing me. i do actually, siren,haunting grounds, clock tower, tormented fathers etc but everytime i ran away he would just spam his tentacle grab move which i find a bit odd. it looks off and so does the zombies grabbing you where you have to spam x to take minimal damage.

anyone else feels the same way?

• Like 1

My main issue with new Nemesis is...he seems more like playing with you and showing-off instead of doing his job. In trailer he is wasting flamethrower ammo just to show how "BaDaSs" he is, and same goes for his tentacle grabs and etc. Original nemesis was angry as hell and he chased, hit, shoot you. Yet, he give you a chance to escape if he grabs you, but only 1-2 times. This new Nemesis is more toying than doing. And his face is hilarious. I kinda dissapointed with demo to be honest, not planning to buy this game anytime soon. Even I've waited this game and planned to pre-order it.

P.S. and yes, thoese QTE when zombie catches you is cringy and awful, I mean, QTE in 2020? When people gonna learn that QTE was good only at Shenmue and Quantic Dream games.

Edited by PostalDudeRus
P.S.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure you can dodge his tentacle grab by dodging sideways with R1 since it shoots forward. However I will say that his AI does feel a bit spammy in a way. He can stunlock you with successive hits if you get hit by one of his punches. I got tentacle grabbed and then right as I got up got punched back down and he kept punching me till I died. I couldn't even press R1 since it was nonstop. I've also seen footage of players being double tentacle grabbed one right after the other. I hope he's not as spammy in the real game but he most likely will. I do like how fast he is and the whole 'I'm gonna jump ahead of you' thing he does. It makes him feel threatening, but yeah I guess his AI can be weird. Still getting the game on release though since I love Resident Evil and they did a great job on remaking 2.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PostalDudeRus said:

My main issue with new Nemesis is...he seems more like playing with you and showing-off instead of doing his job. In trailer he is wasting flamethrower ammo just to show how "BaDaSs" he is, and same goes for his tentacle grabs and etc. Original nemesis was angry as hell and he chased, hit, shoot you. Yet, he give you a chance to escape if he grabs you, but only 1-2 times. This new Nemesis is more toying than doing. And his face is hilarious. I kinda dissapointed with demo to be honest, not planning to buy this game anytime soon. Even I've waited this game and planned to pre-order it.

P.S. and yes, thoese QTE when zombie catches you is cringy and awful, I mean, QTE in 2020? When people gonna learn that QTE was good only at Shenmue and Quantic Dream games.

I agree, I've very little experience with the Resident Evil series especially as I've never played 3 but from what I've seen of the original game over the years Nemesis was relentless and could very easily kill you within a few hits whereas this new version he just seems to be all flash with no killer instinct, posing around with his flamethrower and jumping out of the fight if he can't get to you after 20 seconds.
The Alien in Alien Isolation seems to have beaten Nemesis in scare factor.

• Like 2

what i am thinking of what the devs did here is that his AI might scale with difficulty level or something but ya I agree, the Nemesis in the original RE3 would like run all over the place just to get to jill. Though what was the thinking in swapping his rocket launcher with a flamethrouger

4 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

what i am thinking of what the devs did here is that his AI might scale with difficulty level or something but ya I agree, the Nemesis in the original RE3 would like run all over the place just to get to jill. Though what was the thinking in swapping his rocket launcher with a flamethrouger

This reminds me Mass Effect series. In Mass Effect 1 all weapons have unlimited ammo, but overheats if you shoot unstoppable. Developers decided to add more action into Mass Effect 2, so they changed weapon idea: now you have limited ammo, but when you change magazine it cools down automatically. Basically, if you overruned by enemies, before you had option to shoot as long as you want, but now your option is to die because you ran out of ammo. 

Same exact thing in RE3 Remake: what is a point of giving Nemesis flamethrower thar guarantees critical hit in 15-30 meters area, instead of rocket launcher that even can bring down helicopters :) I guess he will have his RL later in game...maybe more than that...I HOPE

I remember playing the original RE3 and man, Nemesis will do anything to kill you. It added a ton of constant tension throughout the game. I haven't played the demo since I'm planning on buying the game anyway. But I do hope he gets more aggressive as the game progresses.

3 hours ago, wackt1 said:

They didn't swap it, he uses both at parts, just not in the demo I suppose.

RESIDENT-EVIL-3-REMAKE-ROCKET-NEMESIS-THIS-LOOKS-BAD.jpg

4 hours ago, PostalDudeRus said:

What did QTEs do to you?

There's only one QTE in the demo, so I don't think that the QTE is a huge problem here.

And for Mr. Nemesis, I believe he's gonna one-hit kill you (or almost) in the hardcore difficulty so the difficulty setting should also be fine. He is supposed to be annoying, isn't he? :awesome:

I think I read somewhere that the overall difficulty of the game was lowered for the demo. As for the Nemesis, I think he works alright. He grabs you with his tentacle, punches you in the face, runs after you, and creates new zombies. I know that a lot of people complain about his looks, but he was never supposed to win a beauty pageant. 

I can't wait to play the game already.

I'm too don't agree with the old Nemesis comparison, since original has had very limited space for fighting, and then it made a feeling that Nemesis very aggressive. In Remake, as meme states, modern problems required modern solutions, and Nemmie now has to be like batman to cover whole area and catch up with player. But I guess brutality in Hardcore would be greatly over done. 

• 2 weeks later...

After playing the demo of RE3 my worst fears were confirmed, after playing the awesome RE2 remake, I found Mr X really annoying and way too overpowered, you can't kill him and staggering gives you no items. It almost ruined it for me, especially since he appeared in A games as well as B for some unknown reason...

Anyway, at least with Mr X you could run around him and outrun him.

Nemesis though on the other hand, he can run as well as walk, he is faster, and if you outrun him he can grab you with his tentacle and then you often get stun locked with various combos, hit the floor and then immediately hit as soon as you get up.

Sure you have a dodge function but unlike say Dark Souls, you roll out the way when you see the attacking coming, the visual and audio cues are not there when you are running so even if you dodge he might just grab you anyway. Oh and when you run around the corner and have gotten away, he'll just swing down and teleport right in front of you. So frustrating...

There is a difference between scary and OP. I haven't got the full game yet but I remember in the demo running up the Nemesis and shooting him in the face with the shotgun to have him not stagger and just punch me in the face instead...

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Resident Evil 3 is a dilemma for me. On one hand, I loved the original game and the RE2 Remake. On the other hand, I hate it when I can't kill things in games and I have to resort to either a hide and seek simulator, or just a tough-it-out and keep running simulator. 

Mr. X was scary to me at first and gave me a tension boost for a short while. I found it exhilarating and imposing, and it provided just the right amount of terror. Then in B scenario, he was there the entire time and it went from scary to annoying. Sometimes I just want to solve a puzzle or plan my inventory without someone nagging at me to walk away for a while and then come back. I was no longer nervous or tense because of Mr. X; I started rolling my eyes and sighing, followed by another round through the station to make him forget what life was all about. 

Nemesis is similar in nature to me. Again; on one hand, he's awesome and will add tension. On the other hand, he's going to end up being annoying to me and I'll wish I could erase him from the game.

It reminds me of Golden Sun and random encounters while trying to solve puzzles or find some items...

Edited by O-Yarsa

My advice. Play directly on Hardcore. The problem is that Capcom never clarified the real balance. Assisted is focused for people who does not care about challenge and for those with accessibility issues. Today, thankfully, devs are making gaming accessible for all kind of audiences, including handicap people. This is something very important, I know some cases of people in wheelchair and they are playing with an adapted controller and the mouth. This people are like you or me. Also deserves the right to play. So it is great that they include modes adapted for them.

If, thanks god, you are a person with full physical capabilities, you have to start this game on Hardcore. The real balance is that Standard is EASY and Hardcore is Normal. If you really want to enjoy the full experience, you MUST start on Hardcore and explore the game for the challenge, story, collectibles, etc.

So, my advice, if you want to enjoy RE3, go directly for Hardcore.

But of course, everyone is free to chose.