How Hard Is It to Get To Golden League ?

Xx-KingOFDark-xX

For whoever really REALLY wants to use Akuma, here's some braindead tips, mostly tested in training and in some poorly connected casual matches:

• Since Akuma is way, WAY squishier than Ken, I'd say defense is way more important for him. Learn how to block effectively, but don't turtle, this character is not Guile. Always bear in mind that Akuma cannot take a beating, his HP is low.
  • I believe that the single most important move for Akuma in the bottom ranks at least is Back + HP (Back + R1). It's the anti-air tool for every jumpy happy fighter out there. And boy are there alot of jumpers.
  • On the flip side, only jump when you are sure that the enemy does not know how to react.
  • Alternatively, the Medium Shoryuken (triangle version) is the best anti-air, it beats the air attack, but obviously it's harder to input.
  • Hadoken is ⬇️➡️ + Punch, Shoryuken is ⬇️➡️↘️ + punch. If you think I might be joking, try to do 20 shoryukens as a beginner and see how many of them were actually hadokens xD 
  • Do not mash Shoryuken on wakeup (when you are knockdown and you attack as soon as you get off the ground, that's a wakeup). Unless they are in Rookie ranks, most players will predict that.
  • Take it slow, learn how to defend, learn how to pressure the enemy little by little, first with fireballs then with kicks and punches. The idea is to learn at first, you can be flashy later.
  • Medium Punch and crouch medium kick are godlike for Akuma. They keep the enemy at bay.
  • Every medium punch or medium kick can be comboed into a Tatsumaki (that's the whirlwind kick thing, ⬇️⬅️+kick) if it connects. Since SF5 ain't as brutal as SF4, wait a bit to confirm that your punch/kick actually connects. If the enemy blocks your Tatsu, you will eat up a combo.
  • ONLY after learning how to answer to anti-airs , block the swipes (Down + HK that knock you down) and eventually learning how to avoid throws, you can look into combos.
  • There's a TON of Akuma players, so the best advice : Steal all the combos and eventually do the trials. You can learn some goodies out there.
  • And as usual, CAREFUL AGAINST ZANGIEF PLAYERS! For some reasons, Akumas really can't handle Zangiefs  (although that might just be me xD

As usual, these are the very basic tips for Rookie to Super/Ultra Bronze. Just to get started and not to be pummeled by every mad Ken with poor connection or some random Abigail player. After you reach Ultra Bronze you'll know what to look for by yourself.

Hope that helps and you people have fun with Akuma!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BLOOD_BUTTER_FLY said:

I have already helped 3 friends with this platinum. I just played on the account and got to Golden League with URIEN, the rest they did. Find a friend who plays well. haha.

I am thinking this thread is more aimed towards getting the trophy legit and learn the game rather than letting others play for it. Like this, anyone can just set up a boosting session instead and go for the golden rank no issues. 

• Like 2

In the early days of SFV, at least, there was a belief that Birdie could carry anyone to Silver. From what I gather, it's still somewhat true. I was chatting with someone on the Street Fighter reddit who told me Birdie recently carried them to Gold, and they dropped when they switched characters haha. My suggestion would be to give him a go. Learn some of his basic combos and strategies, and definitely learn his anti-airs. Learning anti-airs is easily the best thing you can learn at lower levels. People like to jump a lot, so AA them and avoid jumping yourself.

Then again, I'm still in Bronze myself. But I don't play too often, and I'm stubborn and want to make it to Gold with Karin haha.

Reaching gold league is difficult even with boosting as when you’re boosting, you and the other player need to be on sync when counting down and you will sometimes bump into randoms, etc. 

You will see what I mean if you ever decide to boost the trophy. 

Edited by BrettyBoy

• 2 weeks later...

Some stats for the record, taken from February this year:

Rank Players Percentage Top%
Rookie 442515 38.59% 100%
Bronze 240547 20.98% 61.40%
Super Bronze 143453 12.51% 40.42%
Ultra Bronze 61740 5.38% 27.91%
Silver 71488 6.23% 22.53%
Super Silver 36046 3.14% 16.29%
Ultra Silver 21926 1.91% 13.15%
Gold 43183 3.76% 11.24%<-- your goal
Super Gold 17534 1.52% 7.47%
Ultra Gold 9904 0.86% 5.94%
Platinum 19292 1.68% 5.08%
Super Platinum 10281 0.89% 3.39%
Ultra Platinum 4337 0.37% 2.50%
Diamond 11525 1.00% 2.12%
Super Diamond 6301 0.55% 1.11%
Ultra Diamond 2848 0.24% 0.56%
Master 1551 0.13% 0.32%
Grand Master 1617 0.14% 0.18%
Ultimate Grand Master 396 0.035% 0.04%
Warlord 58 0.005% 0.005%

So! Plain and simple: if you want to get into Gold, you need to be in the 11.24% of people/accounts that got into top ranks.

Or if we put it the other way around, fight your way through the people that is in the ~88% of the server population, at lower ranks. INB4 someone says bronze/silver leagues are full of smurf/dead accounts, well, I have no doubt plenty of players of these levels that barely play, but that doesn't mean much. The reality is that most players that still play, even after many thousands of matches, struggle in bronze and silver.

My stats are quite humble, ~400 matches, but I'm still in Super/Ultra Bronze with a 1:1 of W/L ratio. While I play for fun because I love the franchise, I cannot see myself achieving gold, or even silver. Too much work, and I lack the focus+gameplay skillz.

P.S.: 

On 16/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

To be honest, I don't think it's super difficult. Right now I'd say it is super damn easy for me after doing it like 7 or 8 times for different people.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, BLOOD_BUTTER_FLY said:

I have already helped 3 friends with this platinum. I just played on the account and got to Golden League with URIEN, the rest they did. Find a friend who plays well. haha.

So you guys are saying that 10-11 different people had you playing the game instead of them because they lacked the skill to platinum it.

Then I guess it is super difficult for some persons, I can't think of a more objective way to judge its real difficulty.

Edited by Ekir
  • Like 2

No, it's not easy, it's not the same practice with a dummy than playing online (not just skill, also lag present). You want a good test? Get the trophy for Extreme survival, with all the perks is still good way to see if you are ready to attain Gold rank.

Truth be told, this is a very "honest" trophy : You simply have to get good at the game. In order to prevent laggers, best to choose pairing with PS4 players only and connectivity 4-5 bars (unless you have a potato internet yourself). And from there it's just practice, practice and more practice. No bullshit requirements or nonsensical grinding like in SF4, just learn the game with one character. It takes time, true. But if you wish to get this respectable trophy (and not boost it with 3-4 accounts or whatever it takes) there's no other way around.

13 hours ago, GoldenShaka said:

You want a good test? Get the trophy for Extreme survival, with all the perks is still good way to see if you are ready to attain Gold rank.

No offense but that's actually a pretty bad test xD You can pulverize Extreme survival with Rashid's HK Eagle (I completed the damn thing with Rashid, G and Sagat for them money trophy, AI can be exploited even at Level 8 easily) and still get bodied by a turtle Guile online. Yeah with Extreme Survival skills only you might reach Ultra Bronze, but Silver onwards things get more difficult.

I'd say knowing the basics of each character is what helps going from Silver to Gold. For instance, you can always expect a Honda headbutt to be punishable with a swipe after block or a Ken to throw Shoryukens like a madman. That's barebones matchup knowledge that is required for promoting.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 7:00 PM, Ekir said:

So you guys are saying that 10-11 different people had you playing the game instead of them because they lacked the skill to platinum it.

Then I guess it is super difficult for some persons, I can't think of a more objective way to judge its real difficulty.

I have to say, for some players fighting games are downright impossible to learn. And that's perfectly reasonable, you do need considerable skill and dedication for them. It's not just me who says it, every fighting game youtuber and EVO player says the same, it takes lots of work to improve. That's why it's ranked so high in the difficulty list : some people just can't do it even with all the best intentions towards the game. 

Good part, once you get to Gold League in this game you most definitely can do it again no problem. Because Gold League is proof that you truly improved your skills (unless you ask SnowNinjaRaccoon to do it for you, that doesn't count xD )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Copanele said:

I have to say, for some players fighting games are downright impossible to learn. And that's perfectly reasonable, you do need considerable skill and dedication for them. It's not just me who says it, every fighting game youtuber and EVO player says the same, it takes lots of work to improve. That's why it's ranked so high in the difficulty list : some people just can't do it even with all the best intentions towards the game.

I'm going to say this, there is a very good chance that these YouTubers and EVO players have been playing these games since childhood. So they got that skill and mindset in their brain back when they were growing up.

My first video game was Super Mario Bros 3. I did Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and a whole bunch of platformers growing up. I'm good at platformers as a genre. I'm guessing you as a gamer probably didn't because you keep saying you outright suck at them. I don't think Crash Bandicoot is that hard of a game whereas you say it's extremely difficult. However you would probably kick my ass at Street Fighter even if I tried my very best. That's likely because you grew up on these games since you were a kid. While I did both Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2 as a child, I didn't play much at all. Plus I wasn't too big a fan of them.

Shmups are another difficult genre followed by rhythm. Not good at those either.

Then there's people like @Floriiss who can do anything. Just look at his trophy list. Insanity.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm going to say this, there is a very good chance that these YouTubers and EVO players have been playing these games since childhood. So they got that skill and mindset in their brain back when they were growing up.

My first video game was Super Mario Bros 3. I did Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and a whole bunch of platformers growing up. I'm good at platformers as a genre. I'm guessing you as a gamer probably didn't because you keep saying you outright suck at them. I don't think Crash Bandicoot is that hard of a game whereas you say it's extremely difficult. However you would probably kick my ass at Street Fighter even if I tried my very best. That's likely because you grew up on these games since you were a kid. While I did both Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2 as a child, I didn't play much at all. Plus I wasn't too big a fan of them.

Shmups are another difficult genre followed by rhythm. Not good at those either.

Then there's people like @Floriiss who can do anything. Just look at his trophy list. Insanity.

Yep, the YouTubers and EVO players play since the golden age of arcades and they still say that it takes alot of work to get good at this type of genre. I usually follow Maximillian Dood, his content is quite enjoyable and I even learned some tricks from his videos.

Actually I will disappoint you there : My first games ever were Mario(no idea which iteration, the classic one I guess?) and some other platformer with a fat kid that can ride dinosaurs and throws stone hammers. The only fighting game I ever played was MK4 when I was a kid, followed by Guilty Gear way later on. Didn't like MK4, I still think it's a garbage iteration of the series. Yet...I can't wrap my head around platformers no matter how much I try (and boy I tried). I will PROBABLY do that Crash Bandicoot thing ...one day...somehow, if I get lucky. But telling you right away, a game like SMB would be 100% impossible for me. I just don't have it in me and I know my limits. But that's a topic for another thread xD 

Anyway, I think that's the same case with people who struggle in Ultra Bronze even after 1000 matches. Maybe it takes too long of a time or simply they aren't made for these types of game, I don't think there should be any shame in that. Yeah Street Fighter 5 is a hard game, Street Fighter in general is a hard game to platinum because you need reaction, anticipation and a bit of strategy. It's way easier than SF4 that's for sure, but still it requires mastery both online and offline. 

And yeah...there are a selected few who are absolutely godlike at every videogame out there. Something tells me they don't need helping threads, they can just do anything they are set to xD 

On 7/27/2020 at 2:44 AM, Copanele said:

No offense but that's actually a pretty bad test xD You can pulverize Extreme survival with Rashid's HK Eagle (I completed the damn thing with Rashid, G and Sagat for them money trophy, AI can be exploited even at Level 8 easily) and still get bodied by a turtle Guile online. Yeah with Extreme Survival skills only you might reach Ultra Bronze, but Silver onwards things get more difficult.

I'd say knowing the basics of each character is what helps going from Silver to Gold. For instance, you can always expect a Honda headbutt to be punishable with a swipe after block or a Ken to throw Shoryukens like a madman. That's barebones matchup knowledge that is required for promoting.

In few words my point was if you cannot get the extreme survival trophy even worse you would get the Gold rank. I think that the thread is not just for people that @Spaz mentioned (gamers that unconsciously do some movements because they have decades of playing fighting games) but also for people that is not naturally good at fighting games, yes for any genre practice is the key but SF is definitely something people has been playing for decades and you easily can notice it when you go online and found people with bad records but play very well.

During the time I've played online very few times I've found really bad gamers.

2 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Anyway, I think that's the same case with people who struggle in Ultra Bronze even after 1000 matches. Maybe it takes too long of a time or simply they aren't made for these types of game, I don't think there should be any shame in that. Yeah Street Fighter 5 is a hard game, Street Fighter in general is a hard game to platinum because you need reaction, anticipation and a bit of strategy. It's way easier than SF4 that's for sure, but still it requires mastery both online and offline.

The fact you need 1/60th of a second to input moves for that trials trophy in Street Fighter IV is enough for me to hang up the towel.

I'm generally terrible at playing anything competitive online, and Street Fighter V would certainly kick my ass. Just not for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Actually I will disappoint you there : My first games ever were Mario(no idea which iteration, the classic one I guess?) and some other platformer with a fat kid that can ride dinosaurs and throws stone hammers. The only fighting game I ever played was MK4 when I was a kid, followed by Guilty Gear way later on.  

I remember myself trying Guilty gear on ps2. I found it very difficult even harder than SF. Hmm or is just maybe me being bad at fighting games ?

1 minute ago, GoldenShaka said:

I remember myself trying Guilty gear on ps2. I found it very difficult even harder than SF. Hmm or is just maybe me being bad at fighting games 1f604.png

If you mean the original one, it's because the AI was straight up cheating xD no matter how good you are, you can't outplay input reading 

4 minutes ago, Copanele said:

If you mean the original one, it's because the AI was straight up cheating xD no matter how good you are, you can't outplay input reading 

I guess, i know it was a Gulity gear ?. I just tried a few times and it was Oops this is not for me. 

• Like 1

Haven't really had a real look on what everyone's been saying here but I will say this. It's not easy at all.

If you're a veteran Street Fighter player then sure. It won't be a problem. Getting to gold is basically getting started but for everyone else or even die hard fans like myself will be struggling for a while to get to gold.

I've been on and off playing it since launch and I only just hit gold within the past month. If I was playing more regularly, could I of made it a lot sooner? More than likely yes since I was on it consistently for a a few weeks and I shot up in rank.

It's going to take a lot of practise and a lot of patience to be able to get to gold. You need to know every aspect of the game at least at a high beginner/intermediate stage. A lot of what I saw when I was comming up was a lot people making the same mistakes so I capitalized off of it and quickly got myself up to super silver and I hovering there for a while until I started to put in the work and stay composed instead of getting angry.

This account I'm on now is my second since my PS4 decided to delete everything I had for my other profile but even then, I quickly got to where I was on my other account in 2 days or so.

So overall. It will take a while even if you play a lot of fighters. For comparison. While it's a different game. Dragon Ball Fighterz has a trophy for getting 530k LP and I got to that point very fast with almost little to no practise and I'd say I'm a lot worse at Fighterz then Street Fighter so SFV is definitely higher up on the more difficult side. 

Difficulty wise. I agree with the score it has and by seeing how many little people have it to begin with. There's a reason for it... And the 1 mil fight money because that takes the piss ?

• Like 1

You guys know why I love this game? There is a TON of people who got the difficult fighting game plats, but still haven't started SF5 since there is no consistent way of boosting the online in that game lol

As soon as some practice is needed against other people suddenly the elite fighting game trophy hunters are out :D

On 26.7.2020 at 6:00 PM, Ekir said:

Well yeah... but I don't care. It was either friends or people who paid me for that and I won't say no to either. You should know fighting game plats should be WAY more exclusive than they are in most of the cases. You won't believe how many of the "hardcore elitist trophy hunters" simply suck at fighting games and have others help them with that lol

Fighting game trophy leaderboards are probably the dirtiest ones out there, as someone mentioned in BattleFantasia forums. "There is a dude who got it for 80 other people" - well, it's overexaggerated since I did it for 30 people and not 80 lol, but the guy got the point right.

If someone wants to brag with a plat I got for them: It will make me smile, but I don't care :D

• Like 3

@SnowNinjaRaccoon I’d class fighting games to be more difficult than genres like platformers. 

Platformers are stagnant, even if you fail 1000 times, you can eventually succeed. Fighters are a completely different ballgame. 

Even if you have the speed and reflexes to pull moves in 1/60th of a second for those trials in Street Fighter IV, that isn’t going to prepare you for online. A number of people online are old veterans who started back in the 1980s and 1990s who know every fucking trick in the book. Most noob players like to jump a lot in an online match because they think they won’t get hit as much. But that strategy won’t work against a good player. 

You got it for others. Great. You must be good.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

You guys know why I love this game? There is a TON of people who got the difficult fighting game plats, but still haven't started SF5 since there is no consistent way of boosting the online in that game lol

As soon as some practice is needed against other people suddenly the elite fighting game trophy hunters are out :D

Well yeah... but I don't care. It was either friends or people who paid me for that and I won't say no to either. You should know fighting game plats should be WAY more exclusive than they are in most of the cases. You won't believe how many of the "hardcore elitist trophy hunters" simply suck at fighting games and have others help them with that lol

Fighting game trophy leaderboards are probably the dirtiest ones out there, as someone mentioned in BattleFantasia forums. "There is a dude who got it for 80 other people" - well, it's overexaggerated since I did it for 30 people and not 80 lol, but the guy got the point right.

If someone wants to brag with a plat I got for them: It will make me smile, but I don't care :D

Shhhhhhhh ?

Edited by grimydawg___