Opinions of this game

My personal opinion of MGS4 is that this is the worst game in the series. The story is awful, the character development, Drebin and his monkey, Sunny, Meryl, Johnny, the horrible romance between Johnny and Meryl, nanomachines, and the emblems. The only good thing are a farewell to Snake and Big Boss. I apologize but this is my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Rexyfollower0 said:

My personal opinion of MGS4 is that this is the worst game in the series. The story is awful, the character development, Drebin and his monkey, Sunny, Meryl, Johnny, the horrible romance between Johnny and Meryl, nanomachines, and the emblems. The only good thing are a farewell to Snake and Big Boss. I apologize but this is my opinion.

Agreed! Easily the shittest metal gear. Self indulgent garbage imo.

I enjoyed it, but I agree it is the worst in the series. I don't get the hate with MGSV though. In my opinion it had the best gameplay aside from maybe MGS3 Snake Eater. In fact, I would rank Phantom Pain as one of my favorites due to how addicting and fun the gameplay was with the sandbox style open world maps that made stealth infiltration all the more creative and in the players hands on how they decide they would take on outposts and such. I also loved the home base idea, and recruiting soldiers, stealing supplies, etc. All of the creative freedom that went along with it. 

As far as story is concerned, I think 1 and 2 both top the rest in that area, and yea 4 probably has the weakest story. I still recall the end of Sons of Liberty from time to time with that rooftop boss battle and how climatic "Blade Runner" style 'tears in the rain' it felt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, KiraBobbySan said:

I enjoyed it, but I agree it is the worst in the series. I don't get the hate with MGSV though. In my opinion it had the best gameplay aside from maybe MGS3 Snake Eater. In fact, I would rank Phantom Pain as one of my favorites due to how addicting and fun the gameplay was with the sandbox style open world maps that made stealth infiltration all the more creative and in the players hands on how they decide they would take on outposts and such. I also loved the home base idea, and recruiting soldiers, stealing supplies, etc. All of the creative freedom that went along with it. 

As far as story is concerned, I think 1 and 2 both top the rest in that area, and yea 4 probably has the weakest story. I still recall the end of Sons of Liberty from time to time with that rooftop boss battle and how climatic "Blade Runner" style 'tears in the rain' it felt.

I agree (even though the torture in MGS1 is impossible) and MGS3 also have the best story which is my #1 favorite.

MGS4 is ok but having to install the entire game every chapter is annoying. I am glad I enjoyed it while the game has no trophies. I would not like to play it now with the trophies added and all the stupid stuff you have to do. I liked the first chapter in MG4 but then, well it feels like 3 games chopped together. All of a sudden you're just in a completely new location, breaks immersion, even worse than MSG2

I prefer MGS4 to MGS2 anyway, MS3 is probably my favourite now, it used to be MGS1 but the game is just too old looking to go back too. Especially you now have a Vita version of MGS3 and a lovely silky 60fps on PS3. MGS1 is just so good, I really want a remake.

• Like 1

As anything else, it is a matter of opinions. I loved this game and think MGS4 does not seem to get the love it deserves. I liked the long cutscenes and snake's suit was epic. I know that MGS5 has perfect gameplay, but I cannot accept the fact that the story ends in the middle. MGS4 ending is very well made, so I prefer 4 over 5.
I had this argument several times and continue to defend the quality of MGS4.

bmg_ps.png

Edited by bmg_ps
  • Like 2

I respect everyone's opinion. Each one brings valid points and reasoning behind their opinion. For me, this was one of my favorite games. I played this almost endlessly. When it first released it did not have trophies. So when they patched in trophies, it gave me a chance to relive the game all over again. Such a rewarding platinum. It is one of my proudest trophies. It is in no way a hard platinum but for me, definitely an enjoyable one. 

• Like 4

I am genuinely surprised to see so many negative opinions of the game. There are some valid criticisms of the game here, but I personally found this to be the perfection of the franchise. I think it still has the best stealth mechanics out of any game and the gameplay is simply a perfected version of the previous titles (1-3). The ending was very enjoyable to me and really did tie up just about everything with a few exceptions.

Note: MGS5 has great gameplay, but it was different from the rest of the games.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 2

I never understand negativity towards this game. I have played MGS 1-4 and Portable Ops and understand that 1 was groundbreaking and probably the best in series and likely my favorite, but 4 has something special. When I think which one I would replay right now, I instantly remember about 4th. That great ending, meaningful cutscenes, love story which starts weird, but becomes one of the best realized from anything I've seen. The game was loved at release and that love will return one day simply because there are no such games anymore. Long, but meaningful and entertaining cutscenes. Chapters where each one is like a different game. These things will not be forgotten in the long run. Guns of Patriots is intelligent and sofisticated game which will not be understood by everyone.

• Like 3

I do agree that the game got its weakpoints buti think its not the worst.

1. MGS3

2. MGS1

3.MGS4

4. MGS5 (even though its a unfinished Game )

5. MGS Peace Walker

6. MGS 2

7. MGS im super cool Raiden Edition

Opinions differes but im sure that thr Crappy Raiden game is the worst and if it comes to the main entries the copycat MGS2 is the worstfor me at least.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 4.06.2020 at 5:16 PM, StressEater said:

I respect everyone's opinion. Each one brings valid points and reasoning behind their opinion. For me, this was one of my favorite games. I played this almost endlessly. When it first released it did not have trophies. So when they patched in trophies, it gave me a chance to relive the game all over again. Such a rewarding platinum. It is one of my proudest trophies. It is in no way a hard platinum but for me, definitely an enjoyable one. 

Same here mate. I returned to the world of video games after a long absence ... and I started with the Metal Gear series and played for first time MGSV/GZ last year. MGS4 was so special back then, and just before my Big Boss Extreme Run i feel it still is. Played on release day and now 13 years later my path to Platinum is a great pleasure. Best game mechanics for me has MGSV/GZ... I have the least sympathy for MGS2, perhaps additionally because of the mindlessly raised difficulty level to Platinum.  I did it, but it was frustrating. Raiden as the main character, VR simulation theory and claustrophobic corridors... not really... But overall still playable. Regards!

• 1 month later...

While it's one of my least favorites in the the franchise, it's still a fantastic game! The graphics are great for it's time and the gameplay is great! I'm not the biggest fan of the story and the cutscenes are a little long for my liking, but it has plenty of cool moments. 

• 5 months later...

opinions are opinions. you can like it or not, but surely you can't say thay is a bad game. i personally loved every single metal gear, so my opinion doesn't count too much, but the gameplay of mgs 4, the graphics and the mechanic are great. you can not like the plot and sunny and the nanomachines, but the game is worth to be played