Danganronpa Games to be Delisted from PSN

Lord_Bane999

40 minutes ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

This is really strange. Why? It doesn't look like it's all of them either, just 2, 3, 1 on the Vita, and that spinoff. The collection that includes 1 and 2 will still be available, I guess? This is really weird.

1 & 2 reload was published by Spike Chunsoft while the rest by NIS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

This is really strange. Why? It doesn't look like it's all of them either, just 2, 3, 1 on the Vita, and that spinoff. The collection that includes 1 and 2 will still be available, I guess? This is really weird.

31 minutes ago, Tempestad_cl said:

1 & 2 reload was published by Spike Chunsoft while the rest by NIS.

^ This

It's NIS decision as far I've seen in delisting them. I imagine their contract for licensing is up and they rather delist the games then relicense. NIS and especially their Western Branches have been doing terribly profit wise last few years. I wouldn't even be surprised if more titles they licensed end up getting delisted. The game are still popular but I mean it's not like there is alot of new fans looking to buy them anymore unless their on sale anyways on PSN.

5 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

Only US store? Hope the HK store is fine, Dangan V3 is still in my wishlist :facepalm:

That is the part that may need clarification. Though NIS Japan handles most of their Asian releases along with NIS Europe for almost everywhere else outside the Americas it really depends who is the publisher for each store. Who knows maybe Spike Chunsoft is still publsiher there?

10 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

That is the part that may need clarification. Though NIS Japan handles most of their Asian releases along with NIS Europe for almost everywhere else outside the Americas it really depends who is the publisher for each store. Who knows maybe Spike Chunsoft is still publsiher there?

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/HP0365-PCSH10051_00-DANGANV3VITA0000

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/HP0365-CUSA08474_00-ZETTAIZETUBOUPS4

Here.

The HK/AS English version of Ultra Despair Girls and V3 is directly published by Spike Chunsoft, so I guess the HK version is safe

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/UP1063-PCSE00261_00-ASIAFULLGAME0000

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/UP1063-PCSE00692_00-ASIAAIRGIRLSNA01

However, the original English version of Danganronpa 1 (PS Vita) and the English version of Ultra Despair Girls (PS Vita) are published by NIS, so these could be removed

All Japanese/Chinese versions are fine currently since all of them are published by Spike Chunsoft

Edited by Astray404

9 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/HP0365-PCSH10051_00-DANGANV3VITA0000

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/HP0365-CUSA08474_00-ZETTAIZETUBOUPS4

Here.

The HK/AS English version of Ultra Despair Girls and V3 is directly published by Spike Chunsoft, so I guess the HK version is safe

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/UP1063-PCSE00261_00-ASIAFULLGAME0000

https://store.playstation.com/en-hk/product/UP1063-PCSE00692_00-ASIAAIRGIRLSNA01

However, the original English version of Danganronpa 1 (PS Vita) and the English version of Ultra Despair Girls (PS Vita) are published by NIS, so these could be removed

All Japanese/Chinese versions are fine currently since all of them are published by Spike Chunsoft

Ah thanks for this was checking on my alt accounts when you posted. Yeah Japanese Psn is all Spike Chunsoft

It could get confusing for HK store though as they use games from NA, Japan and Asian markets to fill theirs.

So hard to tell if it's NIS America or Europe or Japan in that regard as publisher. (Which could make a difference as they may each have separate licensing agreements.

8 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Digital is the future~

Except when games like these are delisted. Older Activision/Beenox games like The Amazing Spider-Man 1 + 2, Deadpool, etc. are pretty much prone to this kind of delisting in the digital storefront. It seems they pretty much had problems with licencing issues. The worst thing would be that if a game is digital-only, then it was delisted, and you are d-o-n-e fucked if you're too late. If physical copies will be a thing in the past, then the future of game purchasing will be digital, I suppose.

8 hours ago, Cerulean said:

And this is why physical games will always be better then digital games. 

I agree on that one. But the worst would be obsolescence, if full and total digitization of game purchasing will be the norm in the future.

Edited by BadRep24

2 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

Except when games like these are delisted. Older Activision/Beenox games like The Amazing Spider-Man 1 + 2, Deadpool, etc. are pretty much prone to this kind of delisting in the digital storefront. It seems they pretty much had problems with licencing issues. The worst thing would be that if a game is digital-only, then it was delisted, and you are d-o-n-e fucked if you're too late. If physical copies will be a thing in the past, then the future of game purchasing will be digital, I suppose.

This is why I like how Steam does it where they have keys that can be generated and the dev can sell the game in their own store or on a third party reseller site.  If a game is delisted from Steam, it can still be obtained for a time via those keys because they are good until redeemed.  On there, the only issue would be if the dev didn't sell the game elsewhere.  The issue here really is that PSN has no options for where to buy besides their store so once a game is delisted, it's gone unless there is a physical version that is doable to obtain.  Of course a game being delisted can also drive prices up for physical versions if the game is well liked and the physical version is rare enough.

44 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

This is why I like how Steam does it where they have keys that can be generated and the dev can sell the game in their own store or on a third party reseller site.  If a game is delisted from Steam, it can still be obtained for a time via those keys because they are good until redeemed.  On there, the only issue would be if the dev didn't sell the game elsewhere.  The issue here really is that PSN has no options for where to buy besides their store so once a game is delisted, it's gone unless there is a physical version that is doable to obtain.  Of course a game being delisted can also drive prices up for physical versions if the game is well liked and the physical version is rare enough.

It's a good idea but outside steam alot of digital games work by granting you a generic license when you purchase it. Due to this there is no legitimate way to track what there is left of what on things like PSN as they just count the sales as a whole. Even then PC keys are irrelevant even if Steam had a set number and they sold out it's not like they run out of the game they just generate more.

16 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

It's a good idea but outside steam alot of digital games work by granting you a generic license when you purchase it. Due to this there is no legitimate way to track what there is left of what on things like PSN as they just count the sales as a whole. Even then PC keys are irrelevant even if Steam had a set number and they sold out it's not like they run out of the game they just generate more.

Especially that some CD Key storefronts are sketchy, like G2A, who sells CD Keys at a way cheaper price than what the SRP is suggested. CD Key validity is important, because there's chance you will be ripped off. However, what some people don't really know that the website is a grey market, due to reasons I've explained, to which they sell games way cheaper than what other retailers usually price their games on.

Edited by BadRep24

Especially that some CD Key storefronts are sketchy, like G2A, who sells CD Keys at a way cheaper price than what the SRP is suggested. CD Key validity is important, because there's chance you will be ripped off. However, what some people don't really know that the website is a grey market, due to reasons I've explained, to which they sell games way cheaper than what other retailers usually price their games on.

Oh yeah, that is definitely an issue, but there are many solid resellers like the Humble Store, Indie Gala, Fanatical, Greenmangaming, etc.  Even Amazon has keys, though you have to make sure to check that it is Steam and not a DRM free version or even a physical disc.  But overall that's like shopping anywhere online, it's just far more important to be careful since keys tend to not have the ability to return them.

But the fact that this is available does make it more competitive and also helps with availability of games.  Games remain available for a time after delisting because the resellers have keys still.  I also think Steam does better with accessibility to gifting options, which PSN sorely lacks.  I've always felt that Sony and Microsoft keeping digital game marketplaces to one store has led to them really losing an edge over Steam and PC in general on the digital market because there are advantages to having multiple retailers available.

Edited by ladynadiad

I refuse to use G2A they have had stolen keys before and the fact is people have had even Nintendo EShop accounts banned for using stolen game keys off there. Then there was that whole debacle back in May where they offered to pay 10x a games value back to any dev/pub who could prove the game keys were stolen. Within the same week a single indie dev had to get paid back $40000 in damages for stolen keys for about 200 keys...

1 minute ago, ladynadiad said:

Oh yeah, that is definitely an issue, but there are many solid resellers like the Humble Store, Indie Gala, Fanatical, Greenmangaming, etc.  Even Amazon has keys, though you have to make sure to check that it is Steam and not a DRM free version or even a physical disc.  But overall that's like shopping anywhere online, it's just far more important to be careful since keys tend to not have the ability to return them.

Humble Bundle I personally wouldn't put in the same grouping they usually work together with the publishers/developers directly to make their deals and also offer full priced game keys.

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

I refuse to use G2A they have had stolen keys before and the fact is people have had even Nintendo EShop accounts banned for using stolen game keys off there. Then there was that whole debacle back in May where they offered to pay 10x a games value back to any dev/pub who could prove the game keys were stolen. Within the same week a single indie dev had to get paid back $40000 in damages for stolen keys for about 200 keys...

The fact that G2A uses stolen credit card information besides stolen keys, as well. The fact that they use the former as a vehicle for their shady practices, in the guise of selling CD Keys at a lower price than what the price the intended publisher puts, is much worse and it shows. I've pretty much watched a video regarding this crap, and even indie developers let you pirate their game instead of buying, because of loss revenue they had due to G2A.

Edited by BadRep24

2 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I guess the series is officially dead then. RIP.

1f62d.png

It pretty much suffers from the Activision/Beenox effect, which is digital delistment due to either expired licence or company-related issues. We could only hope that there's a chance this would be picked up by just Spike Chunsoft.

From https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/17/danganronpa-delisted-psn/

It could also have something to do with Spike Chunsoft starting up a North American subsidiary out of Long Beach, California in 2017 for the purposes of handling its own localization and publishing, meaning that NIS America allegedly no longer has the publishing license for the series.

This article sums up that digital games has a bigger vice, which is that it is prone to delisting, and physical is the way to go.

Edited by BadRep24

10 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

It pretty much suffers from the Activision/Beenox effect, which is digital delistment due to either expired licence or company-related issues. We could only hope that there's a chance this would be picked up by just Spike Chunsoft.

From https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/17/danganronpa-delisted-psn/

This article sums up that digital games has a bigger vice, which is that it is prone to delisting, and physical is the way to go.

Like I mentioned before NISA has been in troubled waters last few years financially. They are most likely not gonna renew any license that isn't worth it. Plus it probably hurt them on the lack of merchandising sales which profit wise is handled separately usually then a game licensing.

15 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Like I mentioned before NISA has been in troubled waters last few years financially. They are most likely not gonna renew any license that isn't worth it. Plus it probably hurt them on the lack of merchandising sales which profit wise is handled separately usually then a game licensing.

If that's the case then other games under NIS America might be in trouble, as well. This is basically parallel to NIS America either lost the licencing rights or simply not focusing on animes like Love Live anymore, including Love Live Sunshine, which Funimation took it.

Edited by BadRep24

15 minutes ago, BadRep24 said:

If that's the case then other games under NIS America might be in trouble, as well. This is basically parallel to NIS America either lost the licencing rights or simply not focusing on animes like Love Live anymore, including Love Live Sunshine, which Funimation took it.

What are the odds of recent fare like Void Terrarium being delisted? I ask, because that's one game I really want to play but don't have the cash to buy it just yet :(.