Danganronpa Games to be Delisted from PSN

Lord_Bane999

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

What are the odds of recent fare like Void Terrarium being delisted? I ask, because that's one game I really want to play but don't have the cash to buy it just yet :(.

It's pretty much not gonna happen, but if reality ensues because of NIS being in some kind of financial crisis, then the likelihood will increase.

• Like 1

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/17/danganronpa-delisted-psn/

Saw some news here weich Sounds possible, in think we all need to wait. 

"It could also have something to do with Spike Chunsoft starting up a North American subsidiary out of Long Beach, California in 2017 for the purposes of handling its own localization and publishing, meaning that NIS America allegedly no longer has the publishing license for the series"

2 minutes ago, Inuty said:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/07/17/danganronpa-delisted-psn/

Saw some news here weich Sounds possible, in think we all need to wait. 

"It could also have something to do with Spike Chunsoft starting up a North American subsidiary out of Long Beach, California in 2017 for the purposes of handling its own localization and publishing, meaning that NIS America allegedly no longer has the publishing license for the series"

That's pretty much the same thing I quoted. Anyway, this might spell trouble if other games are also affected by this.

5 hours ago, BadRep24 said:

It's pretty much not gonna happen, but if reality ensues because of NIS being in some kind of financial crisis, then the likelihood will increase.

One thing to keep in mind here, NIS as in the Japanese branch of the company having financial trouble doesn't mean it's going to affect NIS America and/or NIS Europe.  The western branches have additional revenue streams with localization that the Japanese branch would not, and they wouldn't have as many employees because they don't make games, they just translate and port them.  Though that is also changing since some of the localization deals that are being made are also leading to ports to other consoles being released by NIS' Japanese branch in Japan (Trails of Cold Steel III and Ys VIII on Switch, for example).

To be honest, Danganronpa being delisted doesn't seem to be an issue on the side of any of the NIS branches.  Spike Chunsoft now has the ability to localize their own games and doesn't need NIS America or Europe to handle that.  Any other games of NIS America or NIS Europe's being delisted would depend on the developer of the game.  I highly doubt stuff like Ys VIII or Trails of Cold Steel III are going to be delisted any time soon because Falcom seems quite pleased with the work NIS America and Europe are doing in bringing their games to the west.  With most localization deals the licenses don't expire because the developer lacks any ability to publish outside of Japan and it's in their interests to keep the game listed and continuing to bring in sales.  In a case like Danganronpa, it wouldn't be as much in Spike Chunsoft's interests because they can publish themselves and there is no reason to split the potential remaining revenue with another company.  To be honest, I bet at least the PS4 version of DRV3 will be back soon enough but published by Spike Chunsoft. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

What are the odds of recent fare like Void Terrarium being delisted? I ask, because that's one game I really want to play but don't have the cash to buy it just yet :(.

If it's recent I wouldn't particularly worry I see a license generally being held for at least 5-10 years. The only reason Danganronpa might seem quick despite the remaster being released not too long ago. Is probably because they already had that game in development close to the end of their license agreement.

In that sense reminds me of the Activision Spider-Man games. They dropped a bunch in the last few years before they lost their license was about to expire because there was no guarantee Marvel would give them a new licensing deal.

NiSA luckily though still does support physicals alot for most of their games though they can be expansive after they sell out due to most being lower prints.

1 hour ago, Xillia said:

So what does that mean for me if I own them already? Can I redownload them whenever I want? Just unavailable for purchase?

Games will always be available if you purchased them before a delisting date for redownload. The only time this may not be true if the servers go down or the game was removed for download due issues of a complicated nature. (Though if a game was ever removed in that way many countries have consumer acts that would require Sony to refund each player in that case.)

16 minutes ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

In that sense reminds me of the Activision Spider-Man games.

It's pretty much known as the Activision/Beenox effect. Game is delisted, either for company-related issue or licencing issue, and the latter is very much the common reason. If Danganronpa will not be re-released under just Spike Chunsoft, then the physical copies will go up.

Edited by BadRep24

8 minutes ago, Solercide said:

Sadly this is already happening, the price of V3 on PS Vita is even higher than the £70 they wanted before its sitting around the £100 mark now :(

It's going to happen always does. But it also doesn't help V3 is still a $60 MSRP game.

Plus the Danganronpa fanbase is pretty huge think of them to the equivalent of a fan of One Piece, Hello Kitty or other large Japanese series/franchises fans will pay almost anything to get what they want from it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

It's going to happen always does. But it also doesn't help V3 is still a $60 MSRP game.

Plus the Danganronpa fanbase is pretty huge think of them to the equivalent of a fan of One Piece, Hello Kitty or other large Japanese series/franchises fans will pay almost anything to get what they want from it.

Thanks for the perspective I did not know the fanbase was equivalent to that. I just need to find Trigger Happy Havoc for a decent price but its looking like £30 for the second hand copy on PS Vita it is to complete my collection.

On 20/07/2020 at 4:06 AM, Solercide said:

Thanks for the perspective I did not know the fanbase was equivalent to that. I just need to find Trigger Happy Havoc for a decent price but its looking like £30 for the second hand copy on PS Vita it is to complete my collection.

Their fanbase is something else for sure though, but yeah if you can nab a physical  opt now I would most game collecting groups I'm in haven't really noticed the delisting yet so you still might be able to find cheap copies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

stick to physical games, they cannot delist those.

and even if they did.. somehow you can still gets your hands on a second hand copy one way or another. 

The prices of delisted physical games tend to go WAY up after delisting though. Generally new copies can't be made anymore due to the same reasons that caused the game to be delisted.

7 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

There's been publishing takeovers before but the one thing I'm wondering if this might lead to new trophy lists?

It's possible, however I wonder if they will even relist the PS Vita versions. Since PEGI upped the prices of PS Vita listings as they officially have classes it a "legacy" console it's more expensive to publish for the platform I believe it's doubled. So will be interesting to see if Spike will only list the PS4 versions or both PS4 and PSV.

10 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

There's been publishing takeovers before but the one thing I'm wondering if this might lead to new trophy lists?

In theory, it might have a trophy list of its own, like how Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments re-released edition had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...