Final Fantasy XVI - June 22, 2023

Abby_TheLastofUs

Oh snap, I am excited to actually see a FF mode trophy since yeah the co-director/writer said he hates them. Though it is worth noting FF mode is not the highest difficulty in the game, Ultimaniac mode is which I don't see listed in the trophies. According to the game informer interview talking about endgame it's an arcade mode only difficulty, which yeah I didn't thoroughly go over the list (to avoid spoilers) but I didn't see anything about arcade mode in general or having to S rank levels or anything (which yes is a thing you can do.) Also seems like you only need to do 1 chronolith trial, which is the games version of secret missions also only available on NG+. 

3 hours ago, ZenaxPure said:

Oh snap, I am excited to actually see a FF mode trophy since yeah the co-director/writer said he hates them. Though it is worth noting FF mode is not the highest difficulty in the game, Ultimaniac mode is which I don't see listed in the trophies. According to the game informer interview talking about endgame it's an arcade mode only difficulty, which yeah I didn't thoroughly go over the list (to avoid spoilers) but I didn't see anything about arcade mode in general or having to S rank levels or anything (which yes is a thing you can do.) Also seems like you only need to do 1 chronolith trial, which is the games version of secret missions also only available on NG+. 

They explicitly said in the Game Informer article that arcade mode and leaderboards are for bragging rights only.  Nothing at all would be locked behind them.  I imagine that was the compromise with the co director. Let us put a ng+ ff mode trophy as long as we leave arcade mode stuff out.

5 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

I imagine that was the compromise with the co director. Let us put a ng+ ff mode trophy as long as we leave arcade mode stuff out.

Yeah this is what I am thinking as well. Especially because I think FF mode will probably still be relatively easy to clear even from a casual perspective. Unless the rules change from normal mode there is no real penalty for death and boss checkpoints are extremely generous. Also a new IGN video today went over some NG+ stuff and it looks like the level cap is higher too, so you'll presumably be able to grind a bit if you struggle for one reason or another. Should be relatively doable for anyone so maybe he doesn't mind so much.

1 hour ago, ZenaxPure said:

Yeah this is what I am thinking as well. Especially because I think FF mode will probably still be relatively easy to clear even from a casual perspective. Unless the rules change from normal mode there is no real penalty for death and boss checkpoints are extremely generous. Also a new IGN video today went over some NG+ stuff and it looks like the level cap is higher too, so you'll presumably be able to grind a bit if you struggle for one reason or another. Should be relatively doable for anyone so maybe he doesn't mind so much.

To me it sounds more like the typical ng+ you find in games like GOW Ragnarök or TLOU where Final Fantasy mode is essentially the equivalent of thr plus version of whatever difficulty you choose for either of those games.  Harder, but because you carry over stuff it's balanced around that.  But we'll see, it could be ridiculously hard too.

18 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

To me it sounds more like the typical ng+ you find in games like GOW Ragnarök or TLOU where Final Fantasy mode is essentially the equivalent of thr plus version of whatever difficulty you choose for either of those games.  Harder, but because you carry over stuff it's balanced around that.  But we'll see, it could be ridiculously hard too.

No idea how those games handle difficulty off the top of my head but FF16 is taking a more dedicated action game approach to it, it's very comparable to SOS mode in DMC. Where they're reshuffling enemy layout across all the dungeons. The same video I mentioned before showed off a spot in an early dungeon where you're just fighting little wolves on your first playthrough, but on FF mode they're replaced with raptors and a Chimera mini-boss.

I don't think it'll be too hard personally though, like I said before. The game is very forgiving based on the demo.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

No idea how those games handle difficulty off the top of my head but FF16 is taking a more dedicated action game approach to it, it's very comparable to SOS mode in DMC. Where they're reshuffling enemy layout across all the dungeons. The same video I mentioned before showed off a spot in an early dungeon where you're just fighting little wolves on your first playthrough, but on FF mode they're replaced with raptors and a Chimera mini-boss.

I don't think it'll be too hard personally though, like I said before. The game is very forgiving based on the demo.

Basically normal mode in those games is a difficulty step below normal mode+ in their ng+ playthroughs.  Obviously this has the enemy shuffle and different encounters on maps, but the jump in difficulty also is what I meant by it.

It looks like the review embargo lifts Wednesday at 10am EST.

Strangely late timing for a Sony game. Is this common practice among Square Enix titles? I honestly don't remember when FFXV's embargo lifted. It does have me kind of nervous that SE isn't confident with how the critics will receive the game. 

Though, I know a couple of influencers who are in love with the game, so expecting a high 80 - low 90's consensus seems like a relatively safe bet.

21 minutes ago, thebonesofYou said:

That’s a pretty damn good score. Hopefully other reviewers follow suit and it gets a positive reception.

Famitsu scores are like fart in the wind, honestly.  They gave FF13-2 40/40.

I really want FF16 to score 90+ and be a great game. I am afraid though that even if it will be a masterpiece the scores will be dragged down by "This is not a Final Fantasy game" crowd and some "Where is my SJW, LGBT, people of color etc?" sprinkled in. 

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

Famitsu scores are like fart in the wind, honestly.  They gave FF13-2 40/40.

I really want FF16 to score 90+ and be a great game. I am afraid though that even if it will be a masterpiece the will be dragged down by "This is not a Final Fantasy game" crowd and some "Where is my SJW, LGBT, people of color etc?" sprinkled in. 

Y’know I was actually just thinking that. They have given some pretty questionable perfect scores in the past!

Same I hope it’s 90+ but I feel that it might get high 80’s. There’s definitely an annoying vocal minority complaining especially on the cesspool that is GameFAQs. Also I don’t visit ResetEra but I can already smell the threads. I bet they’re boycotting it

3 minutes ago, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

You can use all rings and with that it’s only 3/10.

That's a bummer. I get why they are scared that people aren't familier with action combat won't be able to complete and enjoy the game for the first time. But why allow them on FF mode?

Welp. I am guilty of using "cheats" in Control because I didn't enjoy that game at all and wanted to get it over with. So, I guess it will be good for some people to have options.

Anyway, can't wait to finish story in Like a Dragon: Ishin and jump straight into Clive's adventures. I hope to find a GOTY in this game or at least a strong contender. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

That's a bummer. I get why they are scared that people aren't familier with action combat won't be able to complete and enjoy the game for the first time. But why allow them on FF mode?

Welp. I am guilty of using "cheats" in Control because I didn't enjoy that game at all and wanted to get it over with. So, I guess it will be good for some people to have options.

Anyway, can't wait to finish story in Like a Dragon: Ishin and jump straight into Clive's adventures. I hope to find a GOTY in this game or at least a strong contender. 

What a shame that rings are allowed on final fantasy mode. I understand for the first playthrough i guess but for higher difficulties i dont. Imagine if everyone used them for the higher difficulty then whats the point? FF mode sounds like a ton of fun though.

29 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

The Rings are nice, but not necessarily efficient. The auto-combo one tends to use abilities at moments you don't want them, i.e. really damage doer against an almost dead enemy, .. The auto-dodge also isn't that great. Much more useful to have some other accessories equipped.

21 minutes ago, JoniP said:

The Rings are nice, but not necessarily efficient. The auto-combo one tends to use abilities at moments you don't want them, i.e. really damage doer against an almost dead enemy, .. The auto-dodge also isn't that great. Much more useful to have some other accessories equipped.

Yep, they're helpful in the early part of the game but once you get the later Eikons they're actually a hindrance because they activate abilities you ideally want to be charging.

1 hour ago, DARKKRAKEN666 said:

Don't buy it guys there are too many white people in it /s...

Polygon's review is hilarious. Eurogamer also brought up race.

I can't take anybody seriously if someone's takeaway for a game of this stature is fucking race. I'm sure they'd be much happier if persons of colour were in the game... AND they were the ones enslaved to the villainous white folk. Or, perhaps the story would be goated if the persons of colour enslaved the white folk? Who can say? They should think before they sprout this nonsense.

Journalism ain't what it used to be.

9 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

That's a lower score than they gave FF XIII-2. 1f914.png

They gave Elden Ring 39/40.

The world will somehow recover. I don't know how, but they'll manage.

• Like 1