Final Fantasy XVI - June 22, 2023

Abby_TheLastofUs

gameplay reminds me a bit of The Last Remnant. not sure why but i kind of like it 

25 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

Being another year+ away sucks, but oh well. Honestly not surprised when I think about it though. Square has a decent amount of releases for the later half of this year between Forspoken, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean, and DioField (and probably something I am forgetting.) I guess it makes sense to have a bunch of smaller games lined up if they don't have the heavy hitter (though it's obvious Luminous wants Forspoken to be on the scale of FF lol.)

Although ive always been hyped for FF games, and I really want FF16 and 7R, its normally the "other" games that grab my attention more due to it not being an FF game.

So i am very excited for Forspoken, DioField, Star Ocean and my most Valkyrie Elysium. 

Hoping VE is September. 

But this FF looks cool, seems like something is actually at stake that can involve everyone. Instead of just a band of heroes going out on a quest. The Eidolons fighting is like Godzilla haha. Also the combat somewhat reminds me of Last Remnant. Not sure why

10 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Although ive always been hyped for FF games, and I really want FF16 and 7R, its normally the "other" games that grab my attention more due to it not being an FF game.

So i am very excited for Forspoken, DioField, Star Ocean and my most Valkyrie Elysium. 

Hoping VE is September.

I am actually with you there, as much as I love big names like FF and am really excited for FF16 I lean more towards the smaller (budget/scope-wise) games these days. I am actually really looking forward to Valkyrie Elysium in particular since the combat looks exactly like the kind of stuff I love.

• Like 1

FFXVI never had a previous release window published, aside from YoshiP previously saying it got delayed half a year due to pandemic. So the earliest window was likely end of 2022.
When he said "near end of development" last month that is a loose term we like to use. Would likely mean most assets are done, time to tape it all together and give it that polish stuff. Very confident with Summer 2023 window.

Also cool to see he confirmed Soken from FFXIV is the composer, that means the OST is gonna be awesome. Went to his FFXIV Orchestra at the Dolby Theatre in 2018, heart got fed some beautiful music.

I'm so glad that they're doing a story focused game. I also think that the departure of the party that we're accustomed to in FF games is a refreshing change of pace. This reminds me of Lightning Returns, with FFVIIR and FFXIII stagger mechanics. Changing Eikons to change your moves and battle style is extremely reminscent to the paradigm shift in XIII, as well as changing outfits in Lightning Returns... Heck, it's even similar to changing styles in Devil May Cry, Dante for example. I'm shocked this is the first FF game that lets you be an eidolon/summon. The emphasis on the Eikons and the combat in this trailer is stupendous. Music is what to expect from Soken. More XIV glory.

This new trailer is packed to the gills with somewhat easily missed details. Even though it didn't formally reveal who the dominants for Shiva, Ramuh, Bahamut or Odin are in the same vein as who Garuda and Titan's dominants... you can definitely tell from the Dominance trailer who they are. The only exception is Shiva's dominant. She is no where to be found. And, upon re-watching the Awakening trailer, the very beginning there's a hunt for Shiva's dominant. That trailer also doesn't show who her dominant is. So clearly that is going to be an important story element. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be Jill. I hope they're keeping her dominant's identity a secret for a reason and that we'll get another Aranea hot character out of it. But for now, there's no other person that could be Shiva's dominant, so it is her by default.

My critique with how the game looks so far, the UI is pretty radically different. I think I can get used to it, but it feels a little too similar to Takai's The Last Remnant. I think he should make the health bars a little smaller, they seem to take up a little too much screen space as it currently stands. Other than that, they definitely need to improve the framerate with the final build of the game. But clearly that is a huge reason why the game still needs another year of polishing. The game is going to be perfection when it's complete.

It's been a long 18 months without seeing or hearing (practically) anything about XVI. The wait was worth it, though. Easily my most hyped game. God of War Ragnarok, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Elden Ring all breathe a collective sigh of relief that XVI isn't releasing in 2022. It will be game of the year.

Looking forward to more updates.

Edited by Valyrious

YOSHI P IS OUR SAVIOR. ALL HAIL YOSHI P. THANK YOU YOSHI P.

In all seriousness though... I seriously can't wait. I'm going to be so impatient.

Obviously I'm disappointed that I have to wait another year... but I have more than enough to tide me over until then lol.

if this game doesn't win GOTY next year... i riot. it'll win my personal one for sure more than likely whatever year i play it lol

I really do hope this 'redeems' the franchise in everyone's eyes since everyone wants to claim all other titles have been 'shit' or whatever (personally I liked them all but clearly literally only me). But... as long as I like it... that's really all that matters.

Edited by SelectiveGamer

• 3 months later...

This year might be the first time since 2016, I'll be buying a Final Fantasy game (let alone a game made by their Japan division studios). Crisis Core Reunion may be the first followed by XVI if word of mouth goes well.

Edited by Eraezr

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

Happy to see the crystals being front and center again like in the original, and they look so onimpotent, quite honestly  Kingdom Hearts 4, Final Fantasy XVI and Silent Hill 2 Remake are the games that will finally make me jump gens.

• Like 1

1)I haven't see anything about FF16 besides the first trailer but that was beautiful. The title "Ambition" describe what we saw very all, the concept of the Eikons manifest through human vessels is very similar in one sense to Attack on Titan.

2)I like that each country ( i don't know the correct legal tern) use a different political system and house a crystal of different colour represent a God.

3) That line was very interested " Crowless Kings", certainly there is still a unknown player possible linked to Bahamut

I keep coming back to this new trailer. Something about it can't quite get me excited. It looks a beautiful game, and it could just be me getting old, But I really miss the FF of the 90s. 

I need to see some in game footage and battles to get me excited enough. This is the 1st FF game(numbered title, excluding 11 and 14) since 7 that hasn't clicked.

Anyone know of any, non story related videos of battles to rev my engines?

• 1 month later...
  • Final Fantasy XVI launches June 22, 2023, "Revenge" trailer released

FF16-Release-Date-Set_12-08-22-320x180.jpg

Final Fantasy XVI will launch for PlayStation 5 on June 22, 2023, Square Enix announced.

The game will be available in the following editions:

Physical Editions

• Standard Edition
      • Full Game – Base game package, including reversible cover art.

Final Fantasy XVI

• Deluxe Edition
      • Full Game – Base game package, including reversible cover art
      • Special Clive Rosfield Steelbook Case – A SteelBook case featuring artwork of Clive Rosfield, the protagonist.
      • Cloth Map of Valisthea – A cloth map of Valisthea where the story unfolds.

Final Fantasy XVI

• Collector’s Edition (Square Enix Store-exclusive, pre-orders open December 12)
      • Full Game – Base game package, including reversible cover art.
      • Collector’s Box – A beautiful metallic-sheen box featuring impressive artwork by legendary Final Fantasy series illustrator, Yoshitaka Amano.
      • Premium Statue: Phoenix vs. Ifrit – A premium statue depicting a battle between two eikons, Phoenix and Ifrit.
      • Metal Eikon Pin Collection – A premium metal pin collection featuring eight Eikons.
      • Special Clive Rosfield Steelbook Case – A SteelBook case featuring artwork of Clive Rosfield, the protagonist.
      • Cloth Map of Valisthea – A cloth map of Valisthea where the story unfolds.
      • In-Game Weapon “Blood Sword” – The fabled scarlet steel of Firion, hero of Final Fantasy II.
      • Digital Mini Art Book
      • Digital Mini Soundtrack

Final Fantasy XVI

• Digital Editions
    • Standard Edition
      • Full Game
    • Deluxe Edition
      • Full Game
      • Digital Mini Art Book
      • Digital Mini Soundtrack

Final Fantasy XVI

Pre-Order bonuses include:

• Weapon “Braveheart”
  • Accessory “Cait Sith Charm” – Increases the amount of gill you can get when equipped
  • Accessory “Scholar’s Spectacles” (not included with physical Standard or Deluxe editions) – Increases the amount of experience points you can gain when equipped.

Additionally, the following bonuses will also be available at the listed retailers:

• Square Enix Store – The Realms of Valisthea Wall Banners (six-inches height printed cloth banners)
  • GameStop – The Realms of Valisthea Patches (2.5-inches height printed cloth patches)
  • BestBuy  Final Fantasy XVI Pre-Order SteelBook
Edited by ziggypossum
Release Date - June 22, 2023
  • Like 3