Your Most Tedious Platinums

Yuber6969

Anyone platinumed The Last Guardian?

It’s a beautiful game, but nearly ruined by one of the worst trophy lists I’ve ever seen. It’s one of the few games I’ve played where the trophies nearly sucked all the fun out of the experience.

All the grindy and tedious trophies on that list are bad enough, but due to bad luck I actually had the worst time of all with the one RNG trophy. There’s an achievement for “catching Trico in the act” and if you look at the rarity, it’s actually one of the most common trophies in the game. The vast majority of players managed to trigger this random event by accident during their first playthrough, and more people popped this trophy by pure luck than those who actually finished the game.

But for me of course, this ended up being my last trophy. It took several additional days or playing the game over and over, doing everything I could possibly think of to try and get Trico to take a dump. I was just about to reach a breaking point when I found a thread on PST of some poor bastard who got stuck on that trophy for like 3 years and finally managed to pop it by cleverly trapping the boy and camera in a certain spot, and leaving his console running for days until Trico finally pooped.

I left my PS4 running overnight for a couple nights in a row until I finally woke up to a nice chocolate surprise one morning, as well as my shiny new platinum. Never again though..

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Stop challenging peoples takes on these threads. The point is for them to share their opinion on their experiences, not be nitpicked by others. Either share your experience or don't post.

I'm literally stating my opinion in response to his opinion, just like the guy above me had done..like bruh

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Their post wasn't just a contradictory one liner. All your post did was tell someone their experience was wrong.

Not trying to fight with you but I was simply stating my opinion, not telling them how to feel. End of story

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Desmuria said:

Ghost of Tsushima

Don't get me wrong, I loved this game. The bloody fox dens, though. 49 of them. Arghhh! Everything else in this game was sublime, I just hated the post-game grind and seeing yet another fox waiting for me. I got so annoyed with them by the end of it, I did the unthinkable and refused to pet the fox after reaching the shrine. I'm ashamed of myself.

Man, you can't take it out on the foxes though....

On 12/13/2020 at 7:55 AM, MandA60VISE said:

Persona 5 - I hate this game. Piss easy combat (I played on hard), boring and predictable story, uninteresting characters, especially coming after Persona 3 and 4. I could go on and on but I won't. I love Atlus and their SMT franchise but Persona was a major fucking let down for me. It's made all the worse because on my second playthrough the NPC refused to send me their request no matter how much I loaded previous saves. I had to play through again a third time. Atlus needs to invest in a skip cutscene button instead of just skip text. Can't even get up to go pee or take out the trash while the text is skipping because it will pause to make me choose a pointless option that ultimately changes absolutely nothing. As well, my level 99 Yoshitsune was somehow missing enemies in the first dungeon. But we got Beneath the Mask so it wasn't all bad.

Haha, hear hear my friend! P5 was the game that made me quit unhealthily obsessing over getting plat on every game I play. I was lucky enough to grab it in two playthroughs, but boy was it enough of a slog with that - my condolences for having to do an extra entire playthrough ?

Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends

Probably the stupidest online grind I’ve ever seen. Around 30 hours of entering ranked matches with your partner, then quitting immediately. Over and over again. I started this game because of PS Plus and wanted to do it before the servers potentially went down.

Was it worth it? Not sure at all but it’s my rarest platinum now so there’s that.

• Like 2

I'd have to say Wolfenstein: Youngblood. There were two trophies in this that were clearly made specifically for "pay to win"...but management/management development decided at the last moment to pull the pay-to-win scheme. What was left over was a pointless husk that went on for another 10 hours...even after every single motivation was taken out of playing the game any further with the exception of a worthless trophy. Totally different than the New Colossus. Mein Leben was about if you could hang with what you knew was already coming...and you decided you were going to thrust yourself into agony....then sure...we'll give you a bronze trophy. The last trophy in Youngblood was literally: There is no motivation to do this. It's also super easy. Can you do this a thousand times?

13 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

I always wondered why you didn't get back to me for the swaying trophy. You really got that one legit? That is impressive (not necessarily skill wise, but definitely patience wise)

Yea my bad @Infernopommes, at the time I had every intention of hopping on and grabbing that Supernatural trophy with your help, but I think I burnt myself out and stopped playing for a few weeks and ended up forgetting about it. I lucked out and managed to pair up against a real jab heavy opponent that wasn't very good so I was able to slip those jabs fairly easily lol. Same though, I'll always be a fan of the UFC games, been playing them since the OG THQ Undisputed games like 10-11 years ago. 

• Like 1

Mortal Kombat - My kung fu is stronger

For obvious reasons...24hours X 28 characters...100 -alities...x-rays...got lot of them while playing against my girlfriend haha

Injustice 2 - Cat Fight 

Beating Cheetah with the last hit being from the "Cat call" ability with Catwoman.  Pure GAMBLING!  Opened like 5000 motherboxes ( loot boxes ) finally got it when I saw that character towers were giving 'abilities' upon completion...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

star ocean the last hope-

I pretty much needed to have a bunch of checklist for all the missables. getting 60,000 kills was extremely boring  too.

nhl 15-

getting 50 million in career was boring ended up just simming all my matches.

• Like 1

Killzone 2 is the one that sticks out in my mind (Valor Grand Cross specifically). One week of relentless grinding just before the servers shut down, so not only is it one week of monotonous mind numbingly boring grinding (14+ hours a day for a week straight), but also the pressure of possibly not even getting the trophy that week since so many others were going for it at the same time. The worst trophy hunting experience for me by far

• Like 2

I did a lots of tedious gaming with MGSV, Yakuza Zero, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise and Project Diva X, but my most boring platinum by far is Star Ocean 4, obviously.

Is not a bad game, but the trophy list is ridiculous and almost everything is easily missable or requires a big chunk of your time just for doing pontless grinding and other lucky - based shit.

Edited by MegaMegu__
  • Like 2

I shall limit it to 5 examples, mostly because I am lazy, but also because I do not want to give people a heart attack with a ridiculously massive wall of text.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Amazing game, terrible trophy list, mostly because of the long dead multiplayer and all the grinding required for it. Had it been only the singleplayer trophies then I would have looked back to this game as one of my very best early trophy hunting experiences given that I completed that part of it in my first year as a member of the trophy hunting community, instead the first thought I get when this game gets mentioned is how I returned to complete it over 3 years later because I finally got tired of looking at its incomplete state, and oh boy what a tedious experience that was compared to the singleplayer.

Grand Theft Auto III

A game that aged terribly, with a terrible trophy list demanding annoying things to be done in very strict orders because otherwise the game makes completing them pretty much impossible, a lot of stuff to collect, annoying jumps, all while a barely functional game is trying its best to throw a wrench in your vehicle. Vice City has aged far better, and while it has its very own tedious trophy that technically qualifies it for the thread here (my controller still gets PTSD when the word "Cannoli" is uttered in its presence), the overall list and experience was far better than GTA3.

Orcs Must Die! Unchained

A great game, tons of fun to play, amazing trophy list balancing unique tasks, difficulty and grind, all very reasonable. Or it would have been, had it not been for one single sadistic silver trophy called "Empty Pockets" that, after every other trophy was already naturally earned, still wanted you to play a few HUNDRED hours of highly dedicated and efficient farming of the most tedious and repetetive sort. The only good things I can say about it are that there was some potential for having fun while maximizing the farm per minute, and that at least the game had the common decency to give you pretty accurate feedback on your progression. To this day my rarest platinum, having completed it still feels surreal.

'n Verlore Verstand

Terrible game, tedious collectibles and speedruns for the platinum. The single worst offender is the one time trial trophy that is almost unavailable due to the time trial mode being broken in that level, leading to the game hard crashing whenever you look in a certain direction. To avoid that, you need to complete an already tight timer through a maze like level with puzzles while looking pretty much straight down, as looking up for even a second will almost guarantee a crash. I will never forget the primal sounds made after every crash by the poor guy I tricked into playing, and completing, this absolute abomination of a game that I mainly picked up because it was dirt cheap, and the name amused me.

Monster Hunter World + Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

Aww man, this games (and its dlcs) rotten core gameplay, the repetetiveness, the rng, the recycling of enemies, the terrible hit boxes, the awful handler character, all the needless side activities forced upon you by the trophy list, the goddamn crowns...these...god...damn......GODDAMN CROWNS!

200w.gif

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 8:09 PM, arcanehornet_ said:

Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends

Probably the stupidest online grind I’ve ever seen. Around 30 hours of entering ranked matches with your partner, then quitting immediately. Over and over again. I started this game because of PS Plus and wanted to do it before the servers potentially went down.

Was it worth it? Not sure at all but it’s my rarest platinum now so there’s that.

Yep, right here. Grind is such a damn joke.  My Kung Fu is Stronger does not hold a candle to this.  At least you are doing something in MK...in this the majority of the time you are waiting on loading screens.  Dreadfully boring I haven't even finished yet.  Shortly above 2000 xp so far.

• Like 1

MGS 2

Those Dog tags were bad enough, but all those VR missions!!!!  My save wasn't working 75% of the way through, so I had to start over.  No fun!

Rayman Legends

I never thought I would get that diamond cup.  So miserable.

RDR

lots of griding, but getting 3 multiplayer wins in a row...  Yeah, lots of blood and tears.  I suck at multiplayer too.  So awful.

I'm working on RD2 and about to start TLOU online, so I expect lots of tediation.

• Like 2

Just Cause 4 - Too many repetitive challenges and having to discover all locations in a HUGE map filled with identical towns.

Tomb Raider (2013) - The big multiplayer grind to reach level 60. 

ERICA - Having to finish it 6 times was HELL. Also, a made a small mistake and had to do another playthrough. So boring.

L.A. Noire - The Auto Fanatic trophy took me sooo much time. Not only you have to rely on RNG for most of the cars but also a lot of them looks identical.

• Like 1

Couple of mentions of Tomb Raider and Erica which I couldn't agree with more. Spent hours upon hours in Tomb Raider running around picking and dropping off medkits. Gotta say, it was nice catching up on my movie backlog at the same time though. And by the end of the 5th, 6th play through of Erica, the 'story' became a nonsensical glorious mess ?

Don't have the Platinum yet, but I'm currently playing Judgement. IIs my first Yakuza game so I didn't know what to expect. But I had to actually learn how to play Mahjong and Puyo Puyo is Kicking. My, Ass. Wtf ?

• Like 1