Would you rather have a game be too hard or too easy?

Beyondthegrave07

Too hard or too easy?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have a game too hard or too easy?

i went with too hard. though some games i should be easy. being too hard just takes the fun out of some games that meant to be easy and fun.

Too easy, and for 1 reason: stories! It would suck to get invested in a story only to not know what happens next because you get stuck. I'm lucky to have never had that happen, but if I would have gotten permanently stuck in a game like Uncharted or Mass Effect I'm pretty certain I would have cried or something.

This is a new "problem," so to speak. Remember, there were basically no stories whatsoever in games in the 90's. A game's plot basically amounted to this:

Oh no! Something terrible has happened! Help! Quick, beat this level!

Congratulations, you beat the level. Now beat this one.

(Repeat, repeat, repeat, etc)

Congratulations, you saved the day! Woohoo! The end.

Obviously stories are significantly more complex now, which is why I totally agree with lowering the difficulty of games. Games are rapidly becoming like interactive movies, where story and gameplay are equally important. You cannot build a world and write a wonderful story only to have a portion of your gamers not experience it all.

As a life-long gamer, I like a challenge too, but that's what difficulty levels are for. I have platinumed many games with difficulty trophies, and it is indeed very satisfying to beat a hard game, but I love games with good stories and I'd sooner they were easy over hard.

Now, if I had to choose between an easy game with a good story over a hard game without one, that would be a difficult choice...

• Like 1

On the poll I picked too easy. I'd rather play through the story and appreciate the graphics than to get stuck on one part of the game and getting frustrated.

I'd rather have an easy game be fun as well. In many games such as Mirror's Edge, I tend to have the most fun on easy difficulty setting, more so than on normal difficulty. When I'm stuck in one part, I get frustrated and I'm not having any fun, until I finally figure out the right way to get through it. I only want to keep moving on in the game rather than to stop and think about how to get past the part that I'm stuck on.

Still, I'd like to be challenged sometimes, so I play games on normal difficulty most of the time. 

Edited by ROBOCRIPPLE_

• 2 months later...

Too easy, and for 1 reason: stories! It would suck to get invested in a story only to not know what happens next because you get stuck. I'm lucky to have never had that happen, but if I would have gotten permanently stuck in a game like Uncharted or Mass Effect I'm pretty certain I would have cried or something.

This is a new "problem," so to speak. Remember, there were basically no stories whatsoever in games in the 90's. A game's plot basically amounted to this:

Oh no! Something terrible has happened! Help! Quick, beat this level!

(Repeat, repeat, repeat, etc)

Congratulations, you saved the day! Woohoo! The end.

Obviously stories are significantly more complex now, which is why I totally agree with lowering the difficulty of games. Games are rapidly becoming like interactive movies, where story and gameplay are equally important. You cannot build a world and write a wonderful story only to have a portion of your gamers not experience it all.

As a life-long gamer, I like a challenge too, but that's what difficulty levels are for. I have platinumed many games with difficulty trophies, and it is indeed very satisfying to beat a hard game, but I love games with good stories and I'd sooner they were easy over hard.

Now, if I had to choose between an easy game with a good story over a hard game without one, that would be a difficult choice...

The idea that for a game to synergy with story it needs to be a breeze, is bit of an extreme dichotomy. Games being hard, tense, etc can immerse you into the experience more. Take Max Payne 3, for example. Instead of the game just..talking about a dire situation for lack of better terms, the game makes you feel hopeless. The game is really challenging *and extremely fun by the way*, you feel like Max. You feel deprived of hope, but you keep pushing. Also, it's going to a huge extreme. If a game is just so hard to a degree that you just can't get past it, then that's just cheap game design over something like Ninja Gaiden where it's a mistake you made. 

• Like 1

I would pick too hard difficulty as long the game mechanics, gameplay, plot, and features are well developed.  A lot of games are set too easy to avoid people from stop playing it.  It technically comes down to whether the game companies would gamble their money on a game where harder difficulty may sway some people from buying it. 

For me, it just depends on the type of game. If it's a game like The Walking Dead, it's perfect being so easy. If it were too hard, it would be an awful game. I don't want to have to give it my all for games with sub-par gameplay, it just makes for a frustrating, but ultimately unrewarding experience. I like my RPGs to be too hard though. They should take strategy, effort, and training to be good. When I walk through an RPG, it just feels very pointless. But when I have to try in battles and spend days customizing my characters, it ultimately feels like my work paid off when I defeat a boss.