Criminally Underrated Games?

Trumpet_Boi_208

6 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

Mark of the ninja remastered is by far the most underrated game I have played.  Nobody hardly knows anything about it and it is a masterpiece.   Fairly easy platinum to get and you will enjoy it every inch of the way.  It is on sale a lot for 9.99.  

Mark of the Ninja is an absolutely fantastic game, I agree - but surely it can't be considered underrated? 

It came out to damn near universal acclaim, a 90% on Metacritic, very high sales numbers, and numerous placements in 'Game of the Year' awards with various publications.

The only reason it seems under-played (on this site), is that it was not on Sony consoles for the first couple of years of it's release, so a lot of people had already played it on PC / Xbox by the time it came out.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Mark of the Ninja is an absolutely fantastic game, I agree - but surely it can't be considered underrated? 

It came out to damn near universal acclaim, a 90% on Metacritic, very high sales numbers, and numerous placements in 'Game of the Year' awards with various publications.

The only reason it seems under-played (on this site), is that it was not on Sony consoles for the first couple of years of it's release, so a lot of people had already played it on PC / Xbox by the time it came out.

fair enough i didn't know the history of it.  i was going by the fact hardly anybody on atrophy hunting website played such a great game with a manageable platinum, so from the point of view of a trophy hunter on this website more people should go for the platinum.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

fair enough i didn't know the history of it.  i was going by the fact hardly anybody on atrophy hunting website played such a great game with a manageable platinum, so from the point of view of a trophy hunter on this website more people should go for the platinum.

Yup, they absolutely should :) 

That game is rad as hell - I’m getting a reminder of how good Klei games are as I play Invisible Inc. They really are a hell of a talented studio - both with the art and animations and the gameplay :) 

2 minutes ago, JohnFPSKing said:

The Darkness II is the most underrated out of the games I mentioned. Almost nobody mentions or talks about it but it's up there as one of my favorite games of all-time.

Yes!

The Darkness 2 was a great game - tight as hell, well paced, great art, good script - never understood why there wasn't a finale to that trilogy!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes!

The Darkness 2 was a great game - tight as hell, well paced, great art, good script - never understood why there wasn't a finale to that trilogy!

Yeah, I absolutely adore The Darkness II. My girl has watched me play hundreds of games and even The Darkness II is her favorite out of all the games I've played. I'd say The Darkness II was overshadowed in 2012 by the big/major releases that year like Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K13, Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops II amongst others that it was overlooked and another game that happened to that year was Spec Ops: The Line, although it's gotten way more attention and praise than The Darkness II as it was free for Plus the following year but I'd still consider it underrated as well but almost nothing is as underrated as The Darkness II for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnFPSKing said:

Yeah, I absolutely adore The Darkness II. My girl has watched me play hundreds of games and even The Darkness II is her favorite out of all the games I've played. I'd say The Darkness II was overshadowed in 2012 by the big/major releases that year like Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K13, Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops II amongst others that it was overlooked and another game that happened to that year was Spec Ops: The Line, although it's gotten way more attention and praise than The Darkness II as it was free for Plus the following year but I'd still consider it underrated as well but almost nothing is as underrated as The Darkness II for me.

There were definitely quite a few really well made story-based FPS's around that era that got overlooked - Singularity was one I remember, as well as one of the most underrated PS3 games of all time IMO - Syndicate

Basically, back then, if you didn't have a great competitive multiplayer, you were dead on arrival. The Darkness didn't have one, Singularity's MP was just so-so, and Syndicate had a fucking brilliant Co-Op MP, but no competitive, so it didn't take off like it should have.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

On ‎15‎.‎02‎.‎2021 at 9:29 AM, NaoyaCaelum said:

- World of Final Fantasy (the best Pokemon game? xD)

You are so right. I don't understand why this game did not take off or have a fanbase.

They style is very immature at first glance but honestly this is a true Final Fantasy game in every possible way.

The story, characters and gameplay are very in line with the older games.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 4:14 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

There were definitely quite a few really well made story-based FPS's around that era that got overlooked - Singularity was one I remember, as well as one of the most underrated PS3 games of all time IMO - Syndicate

Basically, back then, if you didn't have a great competitive multiplayer, you were dead on arrival. The Darkness didn't have one, Singularity's MP was just so-so, and Syndicate had a fucking brilliant Co-Op MP, but no competitive, so it didn't take off like it should have.

Yeah, I played Singularity briefly around late-2010, I was around 16 I think and I liked it from the couple hours I played. I never played Syndicate and heard a few people that I was friends with around 2012 when I believe Syndicate released talk about it and a few finished it but I never got around to playing it. And co-op wasn't as beloved back then as it is now, I think most people now prefer co-op over straight up multiplayer unless it's PvE and even then not so much while back then it was the opposite.

Also, another underrated game from that era, 2012-ish releases is Hitman: Absolution. My favorite in the series - I played them on PS2 and liked them but Absolution I love.

Edited by JohnFPSKing
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2021 at 2:36 AM, GravityQueeen said:

I can't think of something more criminally underrated: Let it Die. It is PlayStation console exclusive, it is free, it is produced by Suda51, it is treasure. Why is this game well-known but, at the same time, so obscure?

350 hours with a 9/10 difficulty and no platinum! I'd imagine that's why it's not got a huge number of people playing it. Why does Sony (or whoever)do this? Really, all games should have a plat but at the very least, ones that take several hundred hours to complete should have a plat!! :) It does look good though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnFPSKing said:

Also, another underrated game from that era, 2012-ish releases is Hitman: Absolution. My favorite in the series - I played them on PS2 and liked them but Absolution I love.

I liked Absolution.

I certainly can't say it's my favourite in the series (that would be a high bar, given that I consider Hitman 3, with all the content of the previous games, to be a strong contender for my favourite game of all time!) - in fact, I might consider it my least favourite Hitman game - but... for me, "least favourite Hitman game" is like saying "my worst lottery win" or "the ugliest supermodel"!

It's really a third person stealth cover game, rather than the sandbox puzzles Hitman is in it's other incarnations, so while I'd say Absolution is the least Hitman-y of all the Hitman games, it is still a damned good game by any other standard, and in competition with it's competitors of the time in that genre, it was a top notch entry.

5 minutes ago, sealightbreeze said:

A Plague Tale Innocence 

Nice to see a lot of love for this game on here - I really liked it.

I wonder if part of the reason it got overlooked is that title?

"A Plague Tale: Innocence" is so close to all those iOS / Artifex Mundi type picture hunt games that it could be easily glossed over.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flipendo52 said:

Outer Wilds 

Yes!

Maybe not underrated, as it does incredibly well with critical reviews and I've never heard anyone who does play it give anything but glowing praise - but man, criminally under-played for sure!

Owning a console and not playing Outer Wilds should be punishable in The Hague!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Good God I have a long list to give. I wanna stick with one per developer because many developers just keep making consistent that no one plays. 

Concrete Genie springs to mind but it's available on PS Plus right now so play it now and see what you're missing.

Zoink games made many great games, like Stick it to the Man, Fe, and Flipping Death, as well as a also unrecognised VR game, but I believe the most underrated is their beat-'em-up Zombie Vikings, just as funny as Stick it to the man and Flipping Death, but can be shared in coop.

Spiritfarer asked the question "what if Stardew Valley made you cry?"

There's the adorable rhythm-platformer hybrid Songbird Symphony.

Ratalaika ported at least two games worthy of playing, the sweet and raw One Night Stand as well as the genuinely tricky platinum that is Stay with its main feature being the protagonist's mental state deteriorates the longer you are not playing the game. You can probably tell Ratalaika knew they had a winner with Stay because it's on of the only games they published on vita that isn't a a crossbuy title.

If you like Telltale games I recommend 1979 Revolution: Black Friday a single episode length look into recent history that feels horrifying.

Beholder Complete Edition is a brilliant look at living under a fascist government as a Landlord clearly homaging Papers Please and, like its inspiration, you can choose how you should act.

If you like Puzzle games and Rouge-likes the Road not Taken may be up your street ?

Tequila works are a brilliant studio who's work is often over looked, not only that but there most beloved title, (Rime,) is probably my least favourite (my favourite is Sexy Brutale but thats been mentioned a few times.) The most overlooked game is the VR title Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son

And lastly if you played Until Dawn you may be aware of The Dark Pictures Anthology, but fewer people are aware of the interactive experience that SuperMassive Games made between the two, the Playlink title Hidden Agenda at a release price of £16 it was practically a steal for how much the paths diverged.

• Like 4

On 14/02/2021 at 2:10 AM, JiII-Valentine-- said:

Destiny of Spirits on the PSVITA. Unfortunately, you can't play it anymore because the servers got shutdown and it was an online only game. It was a free-to-play game as well. Only 1,466 people got 100% out of the 55,148 people who played it and I'm proud to be one of them. The game reminded me of Pokemon in the sense you would level up spirits and fight other spirits using a turn based combat system.

Loved that game. The artwork was great and the trophy images are cool too.

• Like 2

On 17/02/2021 at 1:13 PM, arcanehornet_ said:

The Messenger is so underrated, it should be illegal. It’s a 2D Metroidvania platformer, where you play as a ninja. It also has a meta story and time travel. Amazing stuff, I think I’ll get the platinum again soon 1f601.png

D9389251-92-E0-4-E04-90-D9-7830-E58-D995

This looks fantastic, thanks for mentioning this!

• Like 1