Next Dragon Age game to be single-player only

Conor

20 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

According to Jason Schreier writing for Bloomberg, following the success of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the failure of Anthem, EA has allowed BioWare to make the next entry in their epic RPG franchise to be a single-player game. It was previously intended to be a live service game, "Anthem with Dragons".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-25/electronic-arts-pivots-on-dragon-age-game-removes-multiplayer

I don't dare speak for everybody; I do still have grave concerns over the direction BioWare has been taking in their games for the last decade as well as their awful development practices, but this still comes as a massive relief to me.

No doubt. I thoroughly and unabashedly loved Dragon Age: Inquisition, but I've avoided all of their games post ME3/DA:I. 

Here's hoping they have one more good title in them.

• Like 3

Glad Anthem failed, and avengers too but is still going for some reason, so maybe this live-service shit can stay with games that make sense in that genre like overwatch.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

2 minutes ago, wackt1 said:

Don't celebrate just yet. We have to see how DA4 comes out. It might turn into a Mass effect Andromeda 2.0 Electric Bogaloo 

Indeed, hence my last line about the concerns I still have about BioWare. I never played Mass Effect: Andromeda because I love the original trilogy so much, I wanted to put off the pain for as long as possible.

This doesn't really changed my current stand on the company. Live service or not, they haven't proved that they can make either games in that high quality like their past games for almost 9 years. Important people behind Bioware, especially the Dragon Age series are long gone and the new team didn't really convince me that they know what they are doing. With the departure of Casey Hudson and the other writer, there is even more reason to be skeptical. 

So changing the genre of the game is not the problem, is the people inside working on it. I hope I'm wrong, but I have no reason to believe otherwise. 

29 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Very happy to hear this, I was getting afraid of what might become of DA4. I just hope EA has finally learned from their mistakes. Too many people have been negatively affected by their greed. And I hope Bioware can return to glory. 

Absolutely not. They might try to play the good guy to earn consumers' good faith again, but they are, always have been, and always will be. Most people who buy their products don't care about their scummy practices and they know it. They bleed developers dry and then put them down once they can't squeeze any more profit out of them. And honestly, have they made mistakes? They're as profitable as ever, probably more.

15 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Absolutely not. They might try to play the good guy to earn consumers' good faith again, but they are, always have been, and always will be. Most people who buy their products don't care about their scummy practices and they know it. They bleed developers dry and then put them down once they can't squeeze any more profit out of them. And honestly, have they made mistakes? They're as profitable as ever, probably more.

Sure they are making money hand over fist but how much have they left behind. In what 10 years, they only made 3 Star Wars games and probably canceled twice as many. That was like an excuse to print money but the muffed the ball. So many devs were chewed up and spat out... so much potential wasted. They keep running Fifa the way they do and even it might bite them in the a$$.

• Like 1

Just now, da-Noob123 said:

Sure they are making money hand over fist but how much have they left behind. In what 10 years, they only made 3 Star Wars games and probably canceled twice as many. That was like an excuse to print money but the muffed the ball. So many devs were chewed up and spat out... so much potential wasted. They keep running Fifa the way they do and even it might bite them in the a$$.

Yeah, I mean from a consumer perspective they suck ass, but they don't care about the consumers' perspective until it gets so bad that they stop making money. I remember when I was a kid hearing that EA wanted to change gamers' perception of them, I think they LARPed as good guys for a little bit, but then immediately went back to being greedy assholes. If they have another redemption arc I imagine it'll be similarly temporary; just long enough to get people to forget their grievances.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Yeah, I mean from a consumer perspective they suck ass, but they don't care about the consumers' perspective until it gets so bad that they stop making money. I remember when I was a kid hearing that EA wanted to change gamers' perception of them, I think they LARPed as good guys for a little bit, but then immediately went back to being greedy assholes. If they have another redemption arc I imagine it'll be similarly temporary; just long enough to get people to forget their grievances.

Excellent use of LARP. ?

I'll take a temporary redemption arc for a DA4 worth playing and hopefully some more remasters: Dead Space or DA: Origins anyone?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChunkyKong64 said:

Glad Anthem failed, and avengers too but is still going for some reason, so maybe this live-service shit can stay with games that make sense in that genre like overwatch.

Avengers won't be around much longer either; Squeenix will see the light and abandon live service as well in due course. More wasted potential there, albeit I didn't actually play it.

32 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

I'll take a temporary redemption arc for a DA4 worth playing and hopefully some more remasters: Dead Space or DA: Origins anyone?

I'd love to play the other DA games since I did like what I saw of Inquisition's setting. And Dead Space would be nice; I read up on the lore and it sounds fascinating, just need to get myself through that nightmarish first game since I hear the 2nd and 3rd are a bit less terrifying.

• Like 1