Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

12 minutes ago, Kurorac said:

Just a question (don't want to go through all 43 pages), can we still earn trophies on PS3 and Vita?

AFAIK, the rumor said nothing about trophy sync. The store closing does not automatically mean that trophy syncing will stop being an option.

Personally, I could see Sony removing the ability to sync trophies from the PS3/Vita. That would force even more people to stop playing those systems, and spend money on a PS4/PS5/PS Now.

37 minutes ago, AwkwardFantasy said:

I picked up these, they're all ps1/ps2/psp games and are expensive af to buy physically.

PS3:
Persona 3 FES
Shin megami tensei nocturne

PSVita:
Persona 1 PSP
persona 2 innocent sin
persona 3 portable

And i already have a physical of persona 4 golden.

If you missed it, Nocturne will be released in about 2 months on PS4..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

Their intention is clear to me now, it became obvious after their financial reports where microtransactions have the biggest share that they don't care about legacy at all and where they will be going, they ended partnership with lots of devs whose games where iconic for PS platform, like Heavy Rain, Yakuza series etc, closed Japan studio recently. Besides it's not even their legacy, their Californian management received rulership for free in 2016 when Sony decided to move headquarters from Japan to USA so why would they care?. I'm not even interested in any of their upcoming exclusives except maybe God of War.
Sony will be investing only in heavily marketed open-world/action crap, most likely with SJW propaganda all over the place like it happened with TLOU2, and partnership with 3rd party service-oriented games (Activision, Epic Games).
Jim Ryan doesn't want you to play those retro games because you'll be missing an opportunity to spend hundreds bucks on digital junk in CoD and Fortnite so he can show-off to investors.
I feel like this stupid management will turn PlayStation into shithole similar to mobile gaming very soon.

P.S.: Can't even call PS3 games "retro", they are so much better than all the crap that is getting released these days.

I'm sorry but the amount of misinformation and hyperbole in that one post is just laughable.

Third party games generating a ton of revenue off microtransactions on a platform is absolutely no indication of a company's intentions or path forward for the future, especially when majority of that platforms exlcuisves barely has some sort of monetization.

They haven't ended partnership with any of the devs you mentioned. Quantic dreams released two more exlcusives on their platform after heavy rain and David cage has said in an interview that he's been planning to move away from being Playstation exclusive even before the release of Detroit become human in favour of becoming an independent publisher. Yakuza was only exclusive because Sony was the only one who showed interest in the series and it never performed well in the west up until yakuza 0 which is why Sega is now wanting to expand by putting the games on other platforms. 

Its funny you mention them turning into something similar to the mobile market while also trashing their shift towards the west. As I said somewhere else on this forum, I love how everyone that uses their shift as proof that they're "giving up on Japan" always never mention the massive mobile gaming market that's been exploding over there while the console market has been shrinking for Sony and Nintendo but growing in the west where they now have greater growth potentional. 

Sony will likely be investing in what makes them the most money, their consoles and stellar exclusives which no aren't filled with "sjw propaganda" not even last of us 2 was but let's not go there again on these forums. 

Jim Ryan does not give two shits wether you want to play old or new games, he simply gave an opinion which was also taken way out of context but he's not wrong either. Your average gamer is not picking up older consoles in favor of a ps4 or ps5, the same can be said for any sort of tech which has seen significant upgrades or changes over the years. It's one thing to disagree with his opinion but to act as if the guy is stopping you from going back to older games is just dumb. Imagine having Jim Ryan out of all people living in your head rent free lmao. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

AFAIK, the rumor said nothing about trophy sync. The store closing does not automatically mean that trophy syncing will stop being an option.

Personally, I could see Sony removing the ability to sync trophies from the PS3/Vita. That would force even more people to stop playing those systems, and spend money on a PS4/PS5/PS Now.

The PS3 and Vita use the same PSN as PS4 and PS5. How would they "remove" the ability to synch from only 1-2 systems, and not the rest? Also, why would be the point or stopping players from synching on the Vita...there is no newer version. If anything, that would drive vita players over to the switch. Since Sony would actually have to go out of their way to completely separate those systems from the PSN network, I imagine it would drive people away from the brand, not cause them to upgrade to a newer model. 

12 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Your PSNprofiles clearly show you don't own PS3 and Vita and that's why you don't care, I own PS1-P5 and Vita and expect some respect from company which got thousands of $ (literally) from me.

Actually, that point he made is probably closer to accurate than not.  No one on this site hinting trophies is an "average" gamer.  We're a small niche group.  The average gamer is indeed pushing fornight and call of duty and gunning for ps5, not older consoles and games.

Although, I heard somewhere ps3 is still very mainstream in 3rd world countries?

35 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Your PSNprofiles clearly show you don't own PS3 and Vita and that's why you don't care, I own PS1-P5 and Vita and expect some respect from company which got thousands of $ (literally) from me.

Never understood this viewpoint. Why should a company respect a consumer if they've already gotten your money? Besides, even if they shut the store down, it's not going to hurt them in the long run. Nintendo shut down the eshop on the Wii, and while people were angry for awhile, they've still made money hand over fist since.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Never understood this viewpoint. Why should a company respect a consumer if they've already gotten your money?

I agree with you but these companies should respect us in a way because they wouldn't be anything without us. They should respect us for that. And disrespecting us is not a smart idea if they want to keep there consumers. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Why should a company respect a consumer if they've already gotten your money?

True, but they even stopped pretending.

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Nintendo shut down the eshop on the Wii, and while people were angry for awhile, they've still made money hand over fist since.

They made it possible to transfer games to Wii U and gave 1 year notice and console itself is fully backwards compatible with Wii. Wii U eShop is still intact and they even do sales there. Same with 3DS, it's fully compatible with DS and 2DS, still has eShop operating and sales too. It doesn't hurt that much, just like PSP store closure because there is Vita where it's still possible (not for long?) to buy/download PSP games.
If Sony does this it risks to be the first company who wiped thousands of cool games into the abyss. Make PS3 games playable/purchasable on PS5 and leave Vita alone and I wouldn't care

Edited by KingSkovald
spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

Your post contains lots of inconsistency, you make a statement and then deny it yourself

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/playstation_makes_more_money_from_dlc_microtransactions_than_anything_else
completely agree with you here!

But it only gets funnier

Franchise is finally getting noticed, it's about time to end exclusive deal! Sega is wanting to expand Yakuza but not wanting to expand Persona 5? It will loose exclusivity soon too tho, Sony is not interested in it either. Strikers is already cross-platform, Persona 4 was ported to PC, it's just a matter of time, Sony definitely won't pay for next big game exclusivity.

Searched for investors when Sony let him know they aren't interested in his movies anymore and Detroit will become human last one

Could be even funnier if you checked latest PS5 releases. Also link above again.

Exactly! All he cares for is his financial reports to investors.

If there's any inconsistency in what I said then you're more than welcome to point em out. I think you just misunderstood the point I was trying to make. You're essentially saying "oh look fifa and gta online which are multiplatform are making a shit ton of money on a certain platform so it must be proof of how they're going to handle their games moving forward". It certainly hasn't been the case because almost all of their exclusives have almost no monetization and the ones that do are in the form of paid dlcs or expansions.

If Sony owned those studios and their games made it to a bunch of other platforms then sure I'd get your argument but they don't nor are they obligated to continue spending money for exclusivity. Let me correct myself there, the team behind yakuza has been very vocal about gaining an audience in the west and now that they've gained that audience, they're now looking to expand which is understandable. Their games being available to a bigger audience ain't exactly a negative or wrongdoing on Sony's part especially when they've  supported the series for so many years. From the looks of it Atlus has been looking to gain a bigger audience as well.  

That's your theory but the man himself has spoken on the matter. Wether you want to look it up or not is entirely up to you. 

My profile aint indication of much, I own a ps3 and all my games on there are digital only. I just find it highly unlikely that if the store was to be shut I'd somehow not be able to play any of those games anymore or sync trophies.

This assumption that every higher up or successful businessman is out to fuck everyone in the ass just needs to stop, borderline obessesive like let the man live lol. 

I seen your prior reply by the way, I don't see how trying to speak sense on a matter makes me some delusional fanboy but ey. Not being a fan of their leadership or certain decisions is one thing but to create a whole laundry list of shit that's factually incorrect because of it Is another. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

2 hours ago, KingSkovald said:

I expect quality, it's wrong to say that we are niche group so we must suffer. Why suffer if there are better alternatives?

What lack of quality are you referring to exactly?  If I'm not mistaken, they've only removed the web store (which was previously announced) and everything is still accessible through the console store (the quality of which is an altogether different subject)

If I'm not mistaken, nothing, as of now, has been effectively removed or made inaccessible.  If/when that changes, then your concerns have merit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

What lack of quality are you referring to exactly?  If I'm not mistaken, they've only removed the web store (which was previously announced) and everything is still accessible through the console store (the quality of which is an altogether different subject)

If I'm not mistaken, nothing, as of now, has been effectively removed or made inaccessible.  If/when that changes, then your concerns have merit.

I am 99% sure that certain content was viewable only through the webstore. You are not free to search for everything from console. There were lists on various sites like DelistedGames and Reddit IIRC.

Edited by Lance_87

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

I am 99% sure that certain content was viewable only through the webstore. You are not free to search for everything from console. There were lists on various sites like DelistedGames and Reddit IIRC.

Viewable, or purchasable?

II'm asking because I've only used the store via console and phone app.  If delisted (I'm assuming delisted because you mentioned delistedgames site) content was purchasable through the web store, that sounds like a huge oversight. If it was only viewable, then... nothing was really lost?

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I have a bug with invisible buttons in ps3 store. It's still possible to buy games even with that bug but there is a case when it's not possible to add purchased DLCs to download list. It's impossible to add DLCs which have multiple region versions, those where you have to press "Choose version" button first and select DLC version/language so they get added to download list.

I also have a customer support incident opened since November that is still opened, those muppets don't bother to do anything with this. I have glitched CoD MW3 DLC in my library cause it's no way to add it to download list cause of that bug with the button and I couldn't go and press that "Choose version" button on web version either because each MW3 DLC has two entries, the one sold in PS3 store is different from the one that was available for purchase in web version. The one in web store simply said that I already own different version of the same DLC and won't let me do anything. After fighting with them 3+ months they did a refund but they didn't remove glitched DLC from my account due to some "technical issues".

After 4 months support monkeys finally figured out that they can add DLC to my account manually (what I was asking them to do when I first contacted them via live chat) so I can go and press "Choose version" via old web store and emailed me asking to fund my PSN wallet and that they will redeem DLC price and add it manually. They sent this message in the end of the day on Thursday 24th. On Friday 25th I funded the wallet and replied them that they can proceed to redeem my money and add this fucking DLC so I can finally finish rest of co-op trophies, obviously I didn't get any reply cause it takes them 1-2 weeks to reply, they are too busy doing nothing. Next day I noticed that old web store is fucking gone...

Do I need to tell you what PlayStation quality is?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Do I need to tell you what PlayStation quality is?

No, because the 1 or 2 times I've needed to contact support, it went smoothly and without issue.

You appear to be making your experience with a multi-region issue (which in of itself is likely to affect a relatively small amount of people) that they had trouble addressing the norm.

Regardless, they announced closure of the web store, and as far as I know, still havent made any actual content unavailable, which is what spawned this mess if a thread.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Viewable, or purchasable?

II'm asking because I've only used the store via console and phone app.  If delisted (I'm assuming delisted because you mentioned delistedgames site) content was purchasable through the web store, that sounds like a huge oversight. If it was only viewable, then... nothing was really lost?

No, the unviewable content is NOT supposed to be delisted. The console apps are so crappy and they didn't even bother to update them. Like i said many times, i was glad they opened the webstore in 2013. Despite its flaws, it had many nice features, like the infamous download queue. And the third-party extension PSDLE helped me a lot in checking if i lost some content over time (and it did happen, twice, hopefully it was all recovered)

Now, don't ask me which content, but i swear i saw it on those sites.

Talking about losing content, i wonder if some lawyer knows if it's legal for a digital delivery company to hide customers' transaction history. Just wondering.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingSkovald said:

You say that developers are leaving them, not the opposite. Cool, but is it a coincidence that most of those devs are indeed from Japan? Square Enix/FF is all they have left. And what about Japan studio, did it closed itself or what? And is it a coincidence that Sony got rekt by Nintendo on Japanese market? They are obviously shifting focus to western market and that's where CoD, FIFA and Fortnite are big.
And if devs leaving them and not the opposite, they must be making new partnerships right? Sure they do, partnership with Activision on CoD (you aint thinking CoD is cheap for them?), 250$ million investment into Epic Games, and right, GTA Online deal, thanks for reminding. Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog and Guerilla will be doing all their big story-driven games. 5 studios for company that owns the platform this big, very impressive.

I feel like I'm wasting my time explaining obvious things here...

Once again I don't think you got the point I was trying to make. What you said about them earning a lot by selling other games on their platform is true, the same can be said for Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam etc but that's not some sort of representation of their intentions or where they will be going with their games in the future.

Again, Sony does not own any of those studios so them releasing games on other platforms does not fall on Sony as some wrongdoing. Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, Atlus, Bandai Namco,Tecmo Koei, Arc system works etc all prominent Japan based studios that continue to release and advertise their games on the Playstation platform with exclusivity deals here and there. So this myth that Japanese devs are fleeing from sony is just nonsense especially when majority of their player base is on Playstation and Nintendo.

Nintendo has been beating Sony in Japan which is true but that's not painting the full picture. That audience has largely moved onto handheld and mobile gaming whereas home consoles in general have been declining. It only makes sense from a business perspective to shift focus in a market where you have more growth potential instead of focusing on one that's getting smaller and smaller. 

Very impressive indeed, say what you want about em but I don't think anyone can deny that pretty much all of their first party devs have been killing it. 

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Now, don't ask me which content, but i swear i saw it on those sites

Please dont take offense to this, but you're relying on memory which may or may not be accurate.

Without actually providing which content specifically is available on the webstore and not the console (which likely isnt possible if the store is gone), we cant definitely say Sony is on the wrong for that.  IF that's the case, then foul on them, but without the proof, it's only conjecture

It's just pointless to try to prove anything to people who keep finding excuses for Sony doing all this shit.
Their PlayStation is sacred console for them, they didn't see anything else. Not only ready to accept all the shit Sony throws at them recently but even ready to say it's cool. Pathetic.
No wonder that Sony is doing what they are doing with audience like that, those players deserved such treatment.

EDITED: AJ_-_808 is another one defending Sony and another one not having PS3/Vita games on his list on PSNProfiles, what a coincidence!
Why you people just won't pass by this thread if you don't give a damn about PS3 and Vita?

Edited by KingSkovald
  • Like 4

Let's admit that sony is the worst in term of supporting old titles, they have been always promoting "For the Players", If they really wanted to close the store then they must provide an alternative to access the same contents

or put a better time frame for the closure, and making it ? free for the last couple of months

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

It's just pointless to try to prove anything to people who keep finding excuses for Sony doing all this shit.
Their PlayStation is sacred console for them, they didn't see anything else. Not only ready to accept all the shit Sony throws at them recently but even ready to say it's cool. Pathetic.
No wonder that Sony is doing what they are doing with audience like that, those players deserved such treatment.

It doesn't help that your arguments/counter-arguements are laced with vulgarity and insults towards anyone not towing your line. Regardless of the content of your argument, it's almost impossible to take you seriously.

Again, everyone is taking a dump on Sony for half a dozen things they haven't done.  The only thing they did was close down an old avenue for the ps store, which they announced would be closing.  There's a (small?) possibility that some (a relatively small? amount of) content may have been removed in the process due to an outdated and largely abandoned ps3 infrastructure. 

There's no actual proof (yet) of the lost of content, and proof may not be possible at this point, but that does not warrant the amount of shit-slinging throughout this thread.

• Like 2