Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

It's very bad, i don't like what they do. It's really annoying me. Why they shutdown website ?? we still purchase games on Ps3 and Psvita. I wanna really buy a lot of dlcs. Really we wanna make mention of them on twitter at @Playstation & @AskPlaystation & @AskPS_UK Ask them to stop shutdown any of these things.

• Like 1

Good thing this heated discussion has died down. We have exactly one TheGamer news piece that didn't state their source, rumoring Sony will announce shutting down PSN Store by the end of the month. How to find out if the rumor is true? Wait until end of the month.

Every other news piece directly quotes TheGamer as their source (who, once again, didn't state *their* source).

All the other conspiracy theories about zomg PSN shutdown and the like are null and void, with absolutely no one but gamers ever touching the topic. Account authentication and server access aren't related to a storefront website, which may or may not exist.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ars said:

Good thing this heated discussion has died down. We have exactly one TheGamer news piece that didn't state their source, rumoring Sony will announce shutting down PSN Store by the end of the month. How to find out if the rumor is true? Wait until end of the month.

Every other news piece directly quotes TheGamer as their source (who, once again, didn't state *their* source).

All the other conspiracy theories about zomg PSN shutdown and the like are null and void, with absolutely no one but gamers ever touching the topic. Account authentication and server access aren't related to a storefront website, which may or may not exist.

They shutdown old store link for Ps3 and Psvita. It's very upset. We're trophy hunters love and like collect any good games on ps3 or psvita. I don't like really what happened. I hope we mention @Playstation on twitter. Maybe they listen to players. Please don't give up like that.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ars said:

Indeed. At this point the thread title should have "RUMOURED" and not "REAL???".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tiricy said:

They shutdown old store link for Ps3 and Psvita. It's very upset. We're trophy hunters love and like collect any good games on ps3 or psvita. I don't like really what happened. I hope we mention @Playstation on twitter. Maybe they listen to players. Please don't give up like that.

Nothing to do with giving up, only reality ? I'm not sure you fully comprehend what "legacy" means. It means the platform won't be supported anymore. Sony announced PS3 will be discontinued four (4) years ago. You are very lucky the only thing they've done until now are some modest website changes. Because that you talk about is a website. And this we talk about now is a website. Nothing more.

Rather than gripe over stupid things I'm much more interested about the legal factors on if and/or how long I have access to content I've bought for the legacy consoles. No official source, absolutely none has ever said anything regarding the matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Nope, it was stated in license agreement you agreed to when creating your PSN account, read carefully next time. Each region has its own license agreement.

Thankfully the size of the gaming market is much larger than past industries where digital rights were terminated through license agreements (I’m referring to the dozens of music license services that existed and extinguished before iTunes started renting music). There would be some very interested lawyers looking into what digital rights mean now in the 2020’s compared to the 90s when a lot of these agreements were conceived. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Thankfully the size of the gaming market is much larger than past industries where digital rights were terminated through license agreements (I’m referring to the dozens of music license services that existed and extinguished before iTunes started renting music). There would be some very interested lawyers looking into what digital rights mean now in the 2020’s compared to the 90s when a lot of these agreements were conceived. 

The problem here is that all agreements now usually have loophole, a section saying that company can update terms and if you don't agree with them you stop using service and company doesn't have any liability. So technically even if terms look good you don't agree to anything cause it can be changed anytime.

4 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Yeah, I expect nothing less than a legal shitstorm if it comes to locked content, especially with the EU consumer protection laws.

Yep, I think that if things get really nasty such things will be regulated. But again, depends on country and local laws.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KingSkovald said:

Nope, it was stated in license agreement you agreed to when creating your PSN account, read carefully next time. Each region has its own license agreement.

There's a bunch of factors related including contracts being void if the terms are worse than what is guaranteed in EU legislation, strong consumer protection and the fact the old PSN Store product pages stated "buy this and keep it forever" in plain language. So it's not as clear cut as you make it seem.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the trolls, I'm sure you can be less condescending and toxic if you try really hard. My posts are about the factual side of things, not about biggotry.

Edit: I'm only able to speak about the EU side of things. NA legislation gives way more wiggle room for corporations.

Edited by ars
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, ars said:

PSN Store product pages stated "buy this and keep it forever" in plain language

UK license agreement I've read sounded like that back in the days too but very vague, I interpreted it as "purchased digital content is yours forever". NA terms indeed sound more like "we can terminate anything anytime without notice". Anyway personally I don't want Sony to explain me how they interpret it, I'd rather prefer to interpret them myself in court.

35 minutes ago, ars said:

I'm going to ignore the rest of the trolls

You sounded like one when saying that PS3 and Vita games removal is

2 hours ago, ars said:

modest website changes

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

Some Persona games on ps3 is psn only?

There's digital versions of the PS1 and PS2 Persona/SMT games, and I don't believe they've been ported to anything else digitally (sans the Golden (Vita) version of Persona 4 on PC, and Nocturne on PS4/Switch/PC). They're still available physically of course on their original platforms, but at least here in the UK nowadays, they tend to be stupid expensive, so the much more affordable option is buying them on PS3 (or PSP/Vita for the remakes of Persona 1 and the first game in the Persona 2 duology, the original PS1 version of which never saw light in the west).

• Like 4

Terms of Service are not legally binding, that being said there's only so much slack you can get before the actual law gets involved. Because there are consumer rights protections.

I really don't think anything is going to happen though and the next article is going to be about the old webstore and then it will end with "they shut down the old web store, who knows what they'll shut down next?! Please continue to read the website for further info".

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

No, on PS3 there's only P4A, P4AU and P5, all have retail versions (I think that P4A actually is retail only).

The ones that "would" be at risk would be P3DIM and P5DIS on vita (digital only), as well as P3P (retail only for PSP), and P1+P2 (digital only). P4G and P4DAN both have a retail version on vita.

The prices of the retail versions are funny for a long while, so, the overpriced prices on PSN actually aren't that bad..

On PS3 there's also Nocturne and Digital Devil Sage (Avatar Tuner in the US, I believe), those are PS2 emulated games or whatever they did to sell PS2 games on PS3 back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pavelbagirov said:

I picked up these, they're all ps1/ps2/psp games and are expensive af to buy physically.

PS3:
Persona 3 FES
Shin megami tensei nocturne

PSVita:
Persona 1 PSP
persona 2 innocent sin
persona 3 portable

And i already have a physical of persona 4 golden.

12 minutes ago, Kurorac said:

Just a question (don't want to go through all 43 pages), can we still earn trophies on PS3 and Vita?

This thread topic never had anything to do with earning trophies. It was a rumor about purchasing PS3 and Vita items from the store in the future.

• Like 2