Free in the PS Store?

StrangeGuy_3000

Just got my plat. Total time was 22h, but I was AFK for a long time, so it's feasible to do it in under 20h. You can grind the thousand miles in a custom playground (I forgot the name, it was something like "10k two tracks") with a rubberband at a rate of about 80 miles per hour or do a 50 lap race on the Arizona oval that shaves about 35 miles in 11 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Dirt 5 is an arcade racer, and Dirt Rally is a sim racer. It's dishonest to assert that your preference of genres is an objective difference in quality, especially when trying to tell someone who enjoys arcade racers to play sim racers.

I didn't assert my preference of genres at all. The quality of the two games is incomparable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Angus1343 said:

This game is ok but total shit compared to Dirt rally. Don't let the differences deter you from trying one of the best racers out there. It is drastically different though.

Also for #2 the plat should be pretty easy, just not a total breeze like Dirt 5. The dlc on the other hand is a far different story.

Haha, I was half joking. I am very open to trying new games and genres so I’ve got no problem checking out Dirt Rally.

By this point I have figured out that racing games are not my favourite genre though. Overall I find they tend to be a little grindy, and boring sometimes IMO. I also tend to prefer the more arcadey ones so far as they’re usually more fun and keep my attention longer.

It certainly wouldn’t deter me from checking out Dirt Rally. But it might not be as high priority as some of the other racers I’ve got sitting in the backlog. Idk.

21 hours ago, SaAlLoAg said:

Wow, another trial with trophy compability, I guess Sony really wants to give us games. Noice :dance:

Strangely, this also occurred when I installed a Japanese Trial of Minecraft: The entire game and trophies were included (Online features still require PS+, so sadly no 100%, too poor :dunno:). I'm not complaining, those 100+ trophies were very helpful to my account xD

Can you still do that today with minecraft japan?

Managed to finish a couple hours ago. This was not too bad for a freebie, and if you subtract the time spent AFK earning miles, this is actually a hell of a lot shorter than the guide suggests too. It took me approximately 15 hours of actual playtime over the weekend.

Thanks to all the peeps in this thread who tipped me off! ?

• Like 3

Finally finished the campaign with 500 miles left, so I guess I'll be grinding that for the next 5 hours; pretty solid racer although the map selection started to get a bit repetitive by the end there, also the podcast 'story' was interesting and a better effort than most racing games give. Unfortunately it seems like the DLC campaigns don't add any new levels, just recycle ones seen in the campaign, so there's really no reason to pay 30$ for them - you'd essentially just be paying for a few new cars and some trophies.

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Haha, I was half joking. I am very open to trying new games and genres so I’ve got no problem checking out Dirt Rally.

By this point I have figured out that racing games are not my favourite genre though. Overall I find they tend to be a little grindy, and boring sometimes IMO. I also tend to prefer the more arcadey ones so far as they’re usually more fun and keep my attention longer.

It certainly wouldn’t deter me from checking out Dirt Rally. But it might not be as high priority as some of the other racers I’ve got sitting in the backlog. Idk.

Do be careful with Dirt Rally because it's the exact opposite of an arcade racer; one of those games where if you don't take every turn perfectly you fly off the edge of a cliff. Most punishing sim racer I've played to date. But yeah, grinding is definitely a problem in a lot of racing games, seems to be about 50/50 you end up wasting hours of your time on repetitive tasks.

6 hours ago, GregHouse007 said:

Can you still do that today with minecraft japan?

It was up for ~3 months (between November and January, for what I recall and searching in the original video where I got to know of it) but days after I downloaded it the Full demo was gone. I just played some minecraft hours ago and I can still see it in the library, So I guess it's permanent. 

3 hours ago, kevao97 said:

can anyone test whether the "full game" still works (today was supposed to be the limit, isn't it?)

It still works. I've got my plat around 2.00 AM GMT.

It's really the full game. Codemasters released a tweet regarding this.

The full game was up for grab and for testing from 31/03 to 05/04, so today.

The problem was that Sony didn't advertised it and many people, like misself, thought, at the beginning of 31/03, that it was a bug from the PSStore.

Not the best racing sim game ever but a solid arcade one. It was a plat for free so I can't be mad about it.

20 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Do be careful with Dirt Rally because it's the exact opposite of an arcade racer; one of those games where if you don't take every turn perfectly you fly off the edge of a cliff. Most punishing sim racer I've played to date. But yeah, grinding is definitely a problem in a lot of racing games, seems to be about 50/50 you end up wasting hours of your time on repetitive tasks.

I’ll have to check it out eventually. The extreme realism and punitive nature of the game sounds a little annoying, but who knows... that could actually end up being the exact thing that makes it fun to play and keeps the gameplay tight and competitive.

Although I enjoyed Dirt 5 for what it was, I agree that the track selection and gameplay began to feel really repetitive after just one or two chapters. I was trying to finish this game as fast as possible, but after awhile I actually had to crank the difficulty back up a few notches because playing on very easy was completely ridiculous. I was winning every race by miles and actually lapping the other races on some tracks. ? 

The game is much more fun when you feel the pack on your heels for the entire race and have to put a little more effort into your driving. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’ll have to check it out eventually. The extreme realism and punitive nature of the game sounds a little annoying, but who knows... that could actually end up being the exact thing that makes it fun to play and keeps the gameplay tight and competitive.

Although I enjoyed Dirt 5 for what it was, I agree that the track selection and gameplay began to feel really repetitive after just one or two chapters. I was trying to finish this game as fast as possible, but after awhile I actually had to crank the difficulty back up a few notches because playing on very easy was completely ridiculous. I was winning every race by miles and actually lapping the other races on some tracks. 1f602.png 

The game is much more fun when you feel the pack on your heels for the entire race and have to put a little more effort into your driving. 

I keep telling myself I'll get back to it but it's one of those games that always ends up at the bottom of my backlog; having a VR mode is probably the only reason I really care about it; it is good VR implementation though, I will say that.

And yeah, I played through almost the entire game on hard (I think I switched during Chapter 1 / 2), and even then on some tracks the AI was absolutely terrible. The semi-final boss race was a complete joke, as was the actual final boss race. It seems like the AI gets a speed boost on hard, but maybe doesn't become actual better drivers, as some tracks even with an S speed car, during straight segments the AI would shoot past me, while on curvy maps they always struggle.

18 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I keep telling myself I'll get back to it but it's one of those games that always ends up at the bottom of my backlog; having a VR mode is probably the only reason I really care about it; it is good VR implementation though, I will say that.

And yeah, I played through almost the entire game on hard (I think I switched during Chapter 1 / 2), and even then on some tracks the AI was absolutely terrible. The semi-final boss race was a complete joke, as was the actual final boss race. It seems like the AI gets a speed boost on hard, but maybe doesn't become actual better drivers, as some tracks even with an S speed car, during straight segments the AI would shoot past me, while on curvy maps they always struggle.

The final boss races were so anticlimactic! No competition at all, and they both seemed very short too compared to other tracks. I was left feeling like, “that’s it??”, although admittedly I was a little relieved to be done with the campaign at that point.

• Like 2

Well, we are April 6th, and even if the trial period is over, I can still unlock trophies.

I just started minutes ago the game, I made my first race and I unlock the distance jump trophy.

As it is my first time I take benefits of « free game period » (like it has been possible on multiples games), is it usually to be able to unlock trophies in this situation ?

Did Codemasters screw up and deliver the full game without any limitation ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amalrik69 said:

Well, we are April 6th, and even if the trial period is over, I can still unlock trophies.

I just started minutes ago the game, I made my first race and I unlock the distance jump trophy.

As it is my first time I take benefits of « free game period » (like it has been possible on multiples games), is it usually to be able to unlock trophies in this situation ?

Did Codemasters screw up and deliver the full game without any limitation ?

Something is definitely up. If you want to earn platinum, get both online trophies first and then set you console to offline. I'm still playing trial version as of now and am short 1 trophy for Platinum. Either Sony or Codemasters screwed up.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, scemopagliaccioh said:

You can change your options for payment on your Playstation, to make it so you need to add your password  when you  need to buy something, while you can do all other "normal" actions on that account, without requiring to use the password,  I was scared something like this would happen if I wasn't present, and thus far, never had any problems.

Cheers for that info. I only added my PayPal to get a month of EA Play and forgot to remove it... lesson learned!

Thankfully I was able to get the platinum and the 5 DLC trophies that was purchased. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Matush_SVK said:

Something is definitely up. If you want to earn platinum, get both online trophies first and then set you console to offline. I'm still playing trial version as of now and am short 1 trophy for Platinum. Either Sony or Codemasters screwed up.

Watch dogs legion was locked?Because it was also free some time ago and i not see lock on this titlejust not started it yet

On 9.4.2021 at 10:37 PM, hemi632 said:

Dirt 5 still in my account and I'm downloading it (my internet it's slow, only 3 mb), today 9 april, the game still can be played it for free?

Only 3 MB? You need to upgrade, how do you handle Patches? Cheer up, I gave you a like to make you feel better.

On 09/04/2021 at 10:37 PM, hemi632 said:

Dirt 5 still in my account and I'm downloading it (my internet it's slow, only 3 mb), today 9 april, the game still can be played it for free?

It seems so. Currently playing it and unlocking trophies.

The game is tagged « trial » when installed on PS5, but it can still be launched normally. The « trial » mention is not visible on PS4.

I can confirm as of today (April 13th) the game was still in my library, and I downloaded it.

On an alternate account, I began playing, and I can't see any limitations at all. I even earned a trophy on that account. I'm pretty sure the full game is here, and I got it for free. I couldn't see any kind of lockout timer or license restriction either. Were we supposed to be able to keep the game or was this a mistake on Codemasters' part?

I'm kind of scared I'll get my PSN account banned for this if I play it on my profile...