Returnal | Review Thread

Ghost

1 hour ago, Stan Lee said:

Housemarque couldn't make a bad game if they tried, it would seem. Really looking forward to this weekend, my copy shipped from GameStop and should arrive tomorrow

I know absolutely nothing about the game but judging by the trophies alone I have concluded that not only is the game super, super, super easy but it is also really bad and I wouldn't play it unless the developers pay me to / your words before about this game:)

Hmmm. Maybe I am focussing too much on the negatives, but I've enjoyed 3 reviews from reviewers I generally agree with and I'm leaning towards waiting for a bit of a price drop before taking a punt on this one. The RNG sounds like it could do with some tuning - spending an hour+ on a run with there being a risk that you might come away from that with zero meta-progress sounds like it would seriously bum me out. 

• Like 1

I have been looking forward to this game, glad it is getting great reviews. I recently got into roguelikes thanks to Risk of Rain 2 and Enter the Gungeon so this has me pumped. No problem supporting the $70 price point for a first party game by a great dev. Go ahead, get angry at me for that, but I have always bought games at launch if they interest me for full price. 

• Like 3

This one is more of a "I don't have anything else I'm terribly interested in at the moment, so what the hell" preorder... rogue-like's typically aren't my thing, so I'm hoping the narrative is stronger than the norm for that genre.  Otherwise a gorgeous third person shooter with bullet hell elements sounds oddly up my alley.

EDIT: Looks like it'll probably be a 8-9/10 exclusive for Playstation, a step above the Days Gone's, a step below the God of Wars/Spider-Man's/TLOU's.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valkirye22 said:

I can't even wrap my head around how profoundly stupid this statement is.

If you're not sold on the idea of trailers and curated gameplay snippets and 'gaming site reviews'  (which is fair) wait for a review/youtuber you trust, or just basic gameplay from a 1000 view youtube video.

And I seriously doubt it's anywhere near "super, super easy" as alien destroyer or chickens on the road which you've platinumed

I made this statement originally in sarcasm over on the trophy thoughts thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

If it wasn't $70, I would have tried it, just doesn't seem worth it for a Rogue-like game.

wait for a sale and you won't regret it, and don't listen to these people who claim that you should buy it at full price to support the devs, full price or getting it on sales still mean your money will go to the devs regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

spending an hour+ on a run with there being a risk that you might come away from that with zero meta-progress sounds like it would seriously bum me out. 

This is me, it sounds and looks spectacular but I don't have as much time to play these days and little to no progress in a game is just a killer for me 

• Like 1

Not into rogues at all, Sundered is as close as I've come to one, but I love Housemarque. The gameplay seems great, but no progress if a long ass run goes bad? That's the exact problem I have with rogues. 

I'm nowhere nearer to owning a PS5 than I was at launch so it's kind of a non issue. I also won't be buying a single game for $70 so I'll be waiting a while for a sale either way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

I can't even wrap my head around how profoundly stupid this statement is.

If you're not sold on the idea of trailers and curated gameplay snippets and 'gaming site reviews'  (which is fair) wait for a review/youtuber you trust, or just basic gameplay from a 1000 view youtube video.

And I seriously doubt it's anywhere near "super, super easy" as alien destroyer or chickens on the road which you've platinumed

He's baiting. That's bait. 

Like... the baitest bait to ever bait. 

Can't tell if you actually fell for it or if you just decided to farm some points.