PSN Cloud storage allows only 1.000 save files

7 hours ago, PS_Bowser said:

you only have 461 games though hmmm

I finish every game i play. I mentioned 1000 games because i have more than 1000, but havent played them yet. And since i will play them (or some of them) in the future, these games will require saves. And i also mentioned it because there are people who actually have registered well more than 1000 games, that are uncompleted, meaning that sometime they will return to play them.

• Like 2

Honest question, but if you have over 1000 games are you ever really going to go back and play the first game using the cloud saves? 

I've been gaming 30+ years, I don't think I've ever played a game after completing it. With 400ish ps4 games and 252platinums I only have 23 cloud saves of games I've yet to finish or games that are 100+ hours long. 

Now I'm not defending the limit, I think it should be limitless regarding how many games. I just think it's a bit daft to say everybody will eventually reach the limit when you can delete/transfer the saves to storage/USB. 

Also wouldn't it be more fun in the future to play the entire game again, rather than start half way through? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Deadvember said:

Honest question, but if you have over 1000 games are you ever really going to go back and play the first game using the cloud saves? 

I've been gaming 30+ years, I don't think I've ever played a game after completing it. With 400ish ps4 games and 252platinums I only have 23 cloud saves of games I've yet to finish or games that are 100+ hours long. 

Now I'm not defending the limit, I think it should be limitless regarding how many games. I just think it's a bit daft to say everybody will eventually reach the limit when you can delete/transfer the saves to storage/USB. 

Also wouldn't it be more fun in the future to play the entire game again, rather than start half way through? 

To be honest, i rarely go back and there where few times that i have actually used an old save. But in such cases the old saves i have backed up, actually saved me!

But there were cases where a dlc came up years later and i didnt have the save. There were times when after a discussion i wanted to show some cutscenes, or chapters, or levels to someone else, for example i wanted to show to a friend the last level on Rush of Blood, to showcase the VR capabilities to a casual player. There were games that if you ever wanted to play them again, you will want the upgraded character, for example Dead Space 2 or witcher 3 etc. There were cases when a friend asked for help when i ve already finished a game, for example Borderlands. There are games that let you transfer the saves and continue from there and they also reward you for having played the prequel, for example Mass Effect. There are cases that a game's sequel comes on the next generation and you want to speedrun it to remember the story and stuff (yes, we have youtube for that, but still)

All these reasons I mentioned cant be known for sure in advance. And that's the essence of backing stuff up. You don't know if or when you will use them. You just make them just in case. And since we pay for i want to use it. And also notice that i dont upload all my saves. I mostly upload 1-5 saves, the autosave, the profile save, the endgame save, etc. But stil, with almost 500 games ALREADY, Sony lets me upload only 2 saves for each game, and the most important, no saves for the next games i m going to play, until they fix this.

And you might have missed it, on PS5 you DONT have the option of backing saves up on USB, meaning Sony obliges to back them up on cloud, which in turn means to pay for a subscription service you are not allowed to utilize it in its full extent...

Edited by karpathoulas667
  • Like 3

Had a PS3 late gen and a PS4 since launch. Plus a VITA which essentially required cloud backup. Now PS5. Played loads of games (8 more than you anyway, so we are about the same) because I don’t just buy but also have always had Plus (apart from one year where I had Now). Never saved anything to USB and always use multiple saves per game (since Morrowind fucked me). Not reached the limit yet.

Once I do though, I guess I’ll just delete the saves from games I’ve finished. I don’t really see the big deal with that. In fact just thinking about all that dead data really tickles my OCD to the point that I might do just that tonight.

So, basically, I don’t think this is a point many people will have a problem with. I do think it’s cheeky for Sony to advertise a 100gb limit if people are unlikely to be able to use it all though

Edited by thefourfoldroot

2 hours ago, Deadvember said:

I just think it's a bit daft to say everybody will eventually reach the limit when you can delete/transfer the saves to storage/USB.

That may be the case for PS3 and PS4 but it's not the case anymore for PS5, and in the PS3's case you can't copy some saves without PS+ or hacking it to remove the restriction. This also assumes people want to delete their saves in the first place.

2 hours ago, Deadvember said:

You're somewhat misunderstanding the situation. It's about being able to keep your data that you've spent potentially hundreds of hours on and less about being able to return from it at the half way point years down the road. It's a possibility, sure, but it's just the general thing about keeping your data that's important to you safe. If I've dumped dozens or even hundreds of hours into something I at least want my saves kept securely so I can access them at any time. I still return to my completed Yakuza saves just to roam around or do karaoke, Dead Space to start a new game plus file with all my stuff that I personally obtained through hours of fun and difficult runs, Final Fantasy XV to play DLC I didn't finish or mess around on my completed save, etc. There's also many other reasons someone would want to back their saves up such as having set points to fight certain bosses, maybe to relive certain scenes they liked, I personally like making chapter checkpoint saves because many games still don't have chapter selects, maybe you want to show someone something from a certain area or with your maxed out character, etc.

I've got a flash drive to back this stuff up so it's no biggy, but some people might prefer to use a service they are paying monthly for to keep their saves safe for years to come without the need to worry about a flash drive or needing to jump through different hoops to access their backed up save. In their case they're told they have too many files and that they should cut down on what they're uploading when they have 90+ GB still available but hit the file limit in only a small chunk of games. This is an issue for anyone who plays games more than a casual amount and while it will take a while to reach that limit it will eventually become an issue, not to mention no two games are equal in how they sort their files so one game can be 1 single file for the whole thing while others can be dozens. I don't even know how you'd hit the 100 GB limit in 1000 files, that would require some of the most bloated Bethesda saves imaginable to even make a save go above 1 GB. Kingdom Hearts 3 is the only thing I can think of that gets fairly big and that's somewhere in the 500 MB to 1 GB range per save.

I personally upload all my saves onto PS+ when I'm subbed to it just as a tertiary backup in the event that I lose both my flash drive and HDD where I keep stuff backed up to. It's always nice to have fallbacks and when Sony is directly offering them for a service you pay for it's pretty insane there's a 100 GB grace given yet you will never fill that before you hit the file limit.

Edited by soliunasm
  • Like 4

So it seems the PS3 is limited to 1,000 saves as well. From what I can find, this has always been a thing, since back in the day when the max cloud storage capacity was just 150mb. I imagine this probably isn't ever really discussed because not many people at all have reached it, a lot of PS3 games didn't make tons of saves (literally the only one I can think of that does is Bioshock Infinite), and not as many people have auto-upload enabled. I'm unsure if it's the same case for Vita, can't seem to find anything on it, but I imagine it is.

The strange thing with the PS5 is that, from what I can find, it apparently also has 100GB of storage available, separate from the PS4's 100GB, but somehow it seems the 1,000 save file limit is shared (OP is not the only person I've come across that seems to confirm this).

I don't know why whenever this topic comes up, it always brings the "why not just delete your saves?" crowd out of the woodwork. I don't really understand the point of commenting on something you don't really care about? No shit we can delete our saves, but as aforementioned, many of us like keeping us saves for various reasons. If you don't particularly care about your saves, then great, you do you, no reason to be puzzled about why others may prefer to do things differently. This is like telling people how they should play their games, I'm sure many of us have experienced people being baffled or condescending as to why we "waste our time" on trophies, after all.

It's missing the point anyway, the point is that the cloud storage is advertised as being 100GB, which is impossible to fill much beyond perhaps 20GB at most, on average. The PS5 doesn't allow USB backups so we're at the mercy of the cloud on there, which is where this becomes a real issue, especially since it seems the file limit is shared between PS4 and PS5.

• Like 4

After all this discussion, I tend to think that since the PS3 era, where the 1000 file limit made sense (cloud technologies were at infant state back then), they wrote the code and havent update it since, although they changed everything else. I sincerely hope that this was just overlooked and they will fix it if we make Sony aware of this. Else, it is undoubtely a practice we should boldly criticise because its unethical and false advertising.

And to the guys that have objections. Guys, you could also go and throw your trash outside your city, to a proper place, or bury them in your yard. Its not that hard, right? But since you pay your taxes, the local authorities and/or government are OBLIGED to pick them up regularly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, karpathoulas667 said:

I finish every game i play. I mentioned 1000 games because i have more than 1000, but havent played them yet. And since i will play them (or some of them) in the future, these games will require saves. And i also mentioned it because there are people who actually have registered well more than 1000 games, that are uncompleted, meaning that sometime they will return to play them.

When I finish a game that has no replay value which there's tons I always delete the save after getting all the trophies so really don't see the need to keep over 1000 saves...

Edited by PS_Bowser

4 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I don't know why whenever this topic comes up, it always brings the "why not just delete your saves?" crowd out of the woodwork. I don't really understand the point of commenting on something you don't really care about? No shit we can delete our saves, but as aforementioned, many of us like keeping us saves for various reasons. If you don't particularly care about your saves, then great, you do you, no reason to be puzzled about why others may prefer to do things differently. This is like telling people how they should play their games, I'm sure many of us have experienced people being baffled or condescending as to why we "waste our time" on trophies, after all.

2 hours ago, karpathoulas667 said:

And to the guys that have objections. Guys, you could also go and throw your trash outside your city, to a proper place, or bury them in your yard. Its not that hard, right? But since you pay your taxes, the local authorities and/or government are OBLIGED to pick them up regularly.

They arent telling to do anything. They're offering alternative solutions with their reasoning because, let's be honest, this is an issue for such a very small amount of the playerbase that Sony isn't likely to do anything.  Your complaining about it on a message board that has no official affiliation with Sony or Playstation.

You continue to use the "I pay for this" line, but your grievance is being posted in a place where no one important will ever see it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

They arent telling to do anything. They're offering alternative solutions with their reasoning because, let's be honest, this is an issue for such a very small amount of the playerbase that Sony isn't likely to do anything.  Your complaining about it on a message board that has no official affiliation with Sony or Playstation.

You continue to use the "I pay for this" line, but your grievance is being posted in a place where no one important will ever see it.

Alternative solutions that I'm sure we've all thought of ourselves. It's not like getting rid of old saves is some kind of revolutionary idea. Again, either way, it misses the point.

I don't expect this to change, I can hope, and I obviously don't expect someone from Sony to be browsing this forum and think to themselves "hmm, maybe we should change this". I've already contacted Sony about this myself, expectedly, they didn't care, not much more I can really do as an individual, but I retain my right to complain about this practice as a paying consumer, even if it does fall on deaf ears.

Either way, the more people that are aware of the issue, the better, there's no denying that. Many people have no idea about the 1,000 file limit until they reach it themselves or they hear about it through forums such as this. I personally didn't know about this until someone mentioned it through twitter, then I reached the limit myself a year or two after the fact.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Alternative solutions that I'm sure we've all thought of ourselves. It's not like getting rid of old saves is some kind of revolutionary idea. Again, either way, it misses the point.

The solutions proposed was not only to get rid of old saves. 

People were talking about this when they hit it before the PS4 came out, then talked about it when PS4 came out and now they’re talking about it now that PS5 is out. I’m sure some new people will be upset when PS6 comes out. At least the previous discussions were about finding alternate solutions and not just joining an echo chamber that isn’t directed anywhere. 

Is anyone here actually taking steps to take this beyond this thread?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Mate, i m not posting here so someone from Sony sees it and fixes it. First of all, I wanted to confirm its a general problem and if t there is a solution i wasnt aware of. Second, with the PS5 not having an alternative, sooner or later, more and more people will face this. Third and last, i wanted to see if there is a general consenus on this, or is it just me being a cry boy.

Edited by karpathoulas667
  • Like 2

Just now, DaivRules said:

The solutions proposed was not only to get rid of old saves. 

People were talking about this when they hit it before the PS4 came out, then talked about it when PS4 came out and now they’re talking about it now that PS5 is out. I’m sure some new people will be upset when PS6 comes out. At least the previous discussions were about finding alternate solutions and not just joining an echo chamber that isn’t directed anywhere. 

Is anyone here actually taking steps to take this beyond this thread?

No, but most of it came down to that. There's backing up saves to USB, yes, but that isn't an option on PS5.

I mentioned it previously, but the ideal solution to this (at least for me) would be the file limit being removed or (significantly) increased, or being able to back up saves to USB on PS5. I've already made my wishes known for both to Sony, not much more I can do individually. This is probably just going to be one of those things that never gets resolved until it affects enough people, and/or causes enough of an outcry for Sony to take notice, as with what happened with the PS3/Vita stores.

I do think making the issue known through forums like this helps with that, even if just a little. But there's really not much else to be said on the matter at this point, I agree that in the grand scheme of things, it's not like anything we say here is going to get through to Sony, at least not directly, but if nothing else, at least a few handful more people are now aware of the file limit.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, karpathoulas667 said:

I was trying to upload my current game saves, as i always do at the end of each day. An error appeared: CE-107304-5 "You 've reached the limit for the number of items you can upload to cloud storage". Looking it up on Google, i found that you can at most have 1.000 save files on the cloud. Having over 1000 games and with games having multiple save files, this limit is easily reached.

I'm so angry now. I have over 90 GB left on my online storage, which, by the way, I PAY FOR. Has anyone heard of Sony taking care of this sometime in the future?

lol if some litigious Australian gamer ran into this problem, the laws here would make sure Sony gets fined like what happened with the illegal (but very American) refund policy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eraezr said:

lol if some litigious Australian gamer ran into this problem, the laws here would make sure Sony gets fined like what happened with the illegal (but very American) refund policy.

@SuperSmexy500

@karpathoulas667

There's a potential pathway to a solution for you.  Look into a EU or Aussie account and digital laws.  If you can make it a legal issue with EU, and Sony is forced to change it for that, the change would likely be across the board (all regions)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@SuperSmexy500

@karpathoulas667

There's a potential pathway to a solution for you.  Look into a EU or Aussie account and digital laws.  If you can make it a legal issue with EU, and Sony is forced to change it for that, the change would likely be across the board (all regions)

It's not a bad idea at all, not sure how seriously it would be taken though. It'd probably be one of the few ways the limit would actually get lifted however. It's something I'll look into more seriously at some point, thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

On 2021-04-30 at 6:13 PM, HaserPL said:

To you, this might seem arbitrary, but if you step out of your shoes, you might think that the limit is there for a reason. Imagine what would happen with PS Cloud servers, if everyone was allowed to have 100 GB's worth of save files. This isn't Google, they wouldn't handle that shit. Just look at what has happened with LittleBigPlanet servers, just because a dickhead wanted to spam with new creations so much the servers crashed and had to be disabled. Don't you think there would be plenty of trolls who would happily write scripts for making thousands of small-sized save files, just to fuck with everyone who uses PS Cloud?

You… you can’t be serious... right? This is a scenario of them offering 5GB and everybody’s whining about not getting 5.8GB. PS+ includes up to 100GB, you’re completely misrepresenting what I’m saying.

1000 saves /=/ much storage. You could have 1000 saves at like 3MB. ?‍♀️

Edited by OmegaRejectz
  • Like 1