Playstation becoming more and more like steam

PIECREAM-4-U

4 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The part I don't understand is that this would just be an official additional leaderboard. The old one will still be there. If people using the site want it and enjoy having it, I don't think it could be called "pointless." I don't see this as a way to shut the bitching up (it's the internet, what do you expect?). I see it as a way to improve the site.

Sure, people will start hunting weird, niche games, create alts, etc. to inflate rarity or their rank, but it'll even itself out in time. I'd still take that over the standard leaderboards. 

I think the trickiest part for Sly is having the lb update on a regular basis with the rarities constantly changing, but if you told me that my rank and lb score will update once every 24 hours, I think we could all live with it. Lol.

Right on point. Definitely agree with everything said here.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 6:09 AM, enaysoft said:

Has there ever been 6 to 8 stacks for an even remotely medium to difficult hard game? Multi region platinums honestly feel like a scam now.

One stack of games that I've played some of a stack was Aegis of Earth/ Metropolis Defenders. I played it first in English, down the road I played it in Japanese on the Vita as well. If I find a Korean version I would probably play that again. 

Because of these threads that come up, I've been asking the question about why did I start video gaming in the first place. There was no trophy system when I started on the NES. On Gameboy I was always a completionist, trying to find all the secrets, or "catch em all". I got into trophy hunting after getting my first platinum on Chroma Squad. Playing hardcore mode on a four hour final boss fight felt like an accomplishment to me. Then I jumped into Inksplosion and Midnight games for some easy Rat plats as a change of pace. But it seemed fine in balance.

However, after paying a dollar for a game where you can literally spin a truck in circles till you get the Plat, I start to ask, Why? Not that I don't appreciate the trophy system. I enjoy trophies because at least for now there is a record that I can remember and record good games I've played. On PS2 I 100% beat Rogue Galaxy, but my memory of that experience is all that remained. I replayed it with the trophy system which was nice, with a site like this I can see, yeah I did it.

Easy plats can be addictive, yet later who will brag of the days they played Freddy Spaghetti VII?

• Like 3

I feel like a lot of people say every Rata game is bad on instinct sometimes, but of the ones I've played, they've mostly been at least interesting and in a couple of cases brilliant...

Like I'd actively recommend Stay, and One Night Stand.

Would I say EZ plats are a scummy model... Not really, indie devs would want their games on consoles and Rata and Sometimes You, say "Okay, but only with an easy trophy list to guarantee profitable sales."  I'm certainly not losing sleep over indie games we wouldn't otherwise see on Playstation arriving with an easy 4 quid platinum trophy

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 1:04 AM, AihaLoveleaf said:

A rarity leaderboard is going to have its flaws, but who honestly cares at this point? Your chances of seeing actually impressive profiles is going to be exponentially higher than it is with the current leaderboard.

There are a lot of profiles near the top of the current leaderboard with Average Rarity stats upwards of 80% or higher. The most ridiculous case I personally witnessed was a profile with over 1,000 Platinums and the rarest trophy earned was 20%!

For a system that originally focused on rewarding players for achievements of skill and effort, I don't think it's that big of a stretch to say that it would be far more interesting to see a leaderboard where you're much more likely to see a profile that makes you go "Wow, this person is really good at video games."

What it was few years ago (when lot's of people i knew here were enjoying this hobby) to what it is now.

So much people i knew are gone + a few others i knew recently also lost interest in it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nelson_Otaku said:

What it was few years ago (when lot's of people i knew here were enjoying this hobby) to what it is now.

So much people i knew are gone + a few others i knew recently also lost interest in it.

A number of those people are gone because of how we treat others on these forums. If they feel they were mistreated then they will leave, as a certain forum user who was aiming for 1000 ultra rare trophies did just that. 

Of course people will leave because of lack of time. Job changes, they start a family with kids, all kinds of reasons. We need new people, otherwise this place like so many other forums will die slowly due to a dwindling audience.

• Like 4

If I was Sly I would change something simply because those games ruined my website and make their money based on my work without me profiting from it. 

They ruin the Leaderboard, they ruin the front page, they make money only because of the psnp leaderboard. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 0:16 AM, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Sly should remove the leaderboards for a week.

Imagine the panic and sudden moment of realisation these top leaderboard chasers have wasted thousands on stacking games they don't even like.

This is the funniest thing i heard here ?

Edited by Nelson_Otaku
  • Like 3

To be completely honest after I got to 200 plats I lost like 80% of the fire to religiously play a game until I platinum, I was also becoming finicky with percentage and it wasn't fun anymore and it felt like an obligation, I work the whole day and the last thing I need is more work to do when I get home, I still love gaming of course and collecting trophies but I dialed back a lot on it, now I still get the platinum......eventually.

• Like 1

Oh no, what a tragic situation it would be if the Playstation Store became too much like Steam -  the industry and market leader in game delivery, so sweeping, all-encompassing, popular, simple to use and well implemented that it's market penetration is on a level as to invite anti-trust lawsuits. ?

How awful that would be.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, Sunnyburrito said:

To be completely honest after I got to 200 plats I lost like 80% of the fire to religiously play a game until I platinum, I was also becoming finicky with percentage and it wasn't fun anymore and it felt like an obligation, I work the whole day and the last thing I need is more work to do when I get home, I still love gaming of course and collecting trophies but I dialed back a lot on it, now I still get the platinum......eventually.

The whole "I need to race to earn this platinum" angle was pointless from the get go.

Eventually everybody will just go back to what they were doing before they got into trophies. A number of people I used to converse with on this website have already quit trophy hunting due to declining interests.

There is nothing remotely interesting in these garbage trophy lists that hand out all golds with a platinum that can be earned in 10 minutes or less. It goes right in line with today's social media addiction, people trying to get their dopamine hits. Not realizing that they'll just as easily forget what they were doing a week prior only to indulge in more crap.

It's addiction people. If trophies make you miserable, then I suggest you guys quit and find something else.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The whole "I need to race to earn this platinum" angle was pointless from the get go.

Eventually everybody will just go back to what they were doing before they got into trophies. A number of people I used to converse with on this website have already quit trophy hunting due to declining interests.

There is nothing remotely interesting in these garbage trophy lists that hand out all golds with a platinum that can be earned in 10 minutes or less. It goes right in line with today's social media addiction, people trying to get their dopamine hits. Not realizing that they'll just as easily forget what they were doing a week prior only to indulge in more crap.

It's addiction people. If trophies make you miserable, then I suggest you guys quit and find something else.

Yep I agree with you, if it starts feeling like a job it's because the fun is gone, and about the social media thing I couldn't agree more that's why I don't even have any other than here I guess.

On 03/08/2021 at 3:51 AM, Sunnyburrito said:

I agree but I have played my fair share of easy plats, but enjoyed most of them. Sometimes after work I’m too tired to focus on a serious game. One of the stupidest games for platinums like Tokyo run and chickens on the road etc.. they are fun and easy while I’m really tired but I have to agree they are taking away the meaning of platinums and leaderboards. I’ve not just platinum’d easy games but I wouldn’t be as high on the boards if I didn’t. Not that I care I really do this for fun, things can change and life changes around you, I just look back on time I’ve spent and either enjoyed them or I’ve been distracted :) I suffer with mental health so I like to be distracted/busy.. 

Sorry for going on a bit 

Each to their own, if people get their jollies off through spending £££ and wasting time playing junk, then that's their prerogative..

I'll continue on my merry way with my average completion, mediocre platinum count, and sanity in tact.

8 hours ago, iXanon said:

Each to their own, if people get their jollies off through spending £££ and wasting time playing junk, then that's their prerogative..

I'll continue on my merry way with my average completion, mediocre platinum count, and sanity in tact.

Big ups for playing Toejam & Earl. One of those forgotten classics from the Mega Drive era.

Your list is decent. You're taking your time with what you want to play.

• Like 1