Hades PS5 Trophy Thoughts

MoreThanAble

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't think I am - my point is that it still has a challenging list - just don't use that mode...

The list is inherently not challenging because the mode exists. Let's agree to disagree here. xD

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...in the same way as all those hundreds and thousands of games back on the SNES / N64 / PS1 / PS2 which had cheat codes built right into the software were still challenging - provided you didn't use the cheats. :dunno:

This is a terrible comparison and you know it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HusKy said:

The list is inherently not challenging because the mode exists. Let's agree to disagree here. xD

Unless the mode is on by default, and cannot be disabled, I do disagree. :dunno:

This is a terrible comparison and you know it.

In what way?

It's literally a direct 1:1 comparison -

• those games had cheat codes, this game has a God mode
  • both result in the same material change to the challenge presented.
  • In both cases, the player is free to choose whether to use them or not
  • and in both cases they will have an easier but less rewarding time as a result of using them.

I really am not trying to be obtuse, I genuinely don't see where you think there is some great schism between the two situations?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't think I am - my point is that it still has a challenging list - just don't use that mode...

Well this is ofcourse the problem: Trophy rarities. It will be too high for the people that want to play this without God Mode, so they might skip the game.

I know @Arcesius for example won’t play Celeste because of it. Right? Correct me if I’m wrong here. Even though it’s a very good platformer.

In the other thread were we had a little discussion, I asked in general if you would still be happy with the games you played if trophy rarities disappeared? Imo the answer should always be yes.

OT: The game looks great. This might be the first Rogue-like game I’ll play even though I’m not a big fan of the genre. Trophy list looks good too.

3 minutes ago, Baker said:

I know @Arcesius for example won’t play Celeste because of it. Right? Correct me if I’m wrong here. Even though it’s a very good platformer.

I won't play the Celeste not because the trophy rarities are too high, but because I don't agree with the dev's decission to implement an assist mode the way they did, and I don't want to support them with my money. There are still plenty of challenging platformers out there I haven't played that don't have assist modes. Since I won't be able to finish all games, I choose to play those that I want to support. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Baker said:

Well this is ofcourse the problem: Trophy rarities. It will be too high for the people that want to play this without God Mode, so they might skip the game.

Sure - and that is a problem, granted - but really, avoiding a game because you won't feel suitably 'special' for having finished because the rarity is too high it is only going to negatively affect the person making that decision - and mean they miss what I am assured is, and am confident is (in Hades' case certainly,) a phenomenal gaming experience. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I won't play the Celeste not because the trophy rarities are too high, but because I don't agree with the dev's decission to implement an assist mode the way they did, and I don't want to support them with my money. There are still plenty of challenging platformers out there I haven't played that don't have assist modes. Since I won't be able to finish all games, I choose to play those that I want to support. 

Can't say I agree with the reason, but I'm a big proponent of 'voting with your wallet for the change you want to see', so I salute the method, certainly!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I for one find the platinum challenging with/without God Mode due to the sheer time investment and RNG involved.

I'm quite patient, but when it comes to live/die/repeat for over 50 hours all reliant on RNG, I just don't think I can remain that patient, so in itself, that would be the challenge I face here and which is why I've decided not to go for Platinum with this 

I've played it on Switch and spent a good amount of time on it in hopes of figuring out a quick route to do a platinum speedrun but there isn't really a way.

There are some interesting games coming out in the next few weeks, Mortal Shell DLC, Axiom Verge 2 likely, Tormented Souls and Sept Ps+ so I'm giving this a miss.

This game has a stupid queued dialogue system, similar to the emails in Death Stranding which make this platinum even more grindy. 

Great game, but a very grindy platinum!

Edited by Optinooby

12 minutes ago, Baker said:

OT: The game looks great. This might be the first Rogue-like game I’ll play even though I’m not a big fan of the genre. Trophy list looks good too.

It is an amazing game, one of the best I've ever played (and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of roguelikes). Unfortunately the trophy list is as uninspired as it gets, with but a few quick trophies that actually add any value to the game besides what it is already offering. "Finish the game" is the perfect example of such uninspiring trophies, since you'd be completing the game with or without it. Super Meat Boy no death runs are examples of good trophies, i.e. trophies that force you to try a NEW way of experiencing the game besides what a casual play style would give you.

A Hades trophy guide would look like this: just play the game until you get the platinum. Literally.

Trophies I would've liked to see - 60 heat run, sub 10 minutes speedrun, clear the game with no boons, no damage boss fights etc. This list has none of it, it's just a grind I've personally already completed on PC.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

So... I know that your standpoint is that a game should be judged first by how good it is, the trophies are secondary and could - for all you care - be all autopoped. That's a fine stance, you know that I always try to find games I think I will find enjoyable as well. 

But let's look at the "problem" the other way around... Let's say a game like Hades comes out and has a brutally difficult trophy list and no exploits (again.. there has been one game so far in 2021 that meets these criteria... One. Among how many releases?). Why would people not just be able to enjoy the game and - if they cannot achieve the plat - move on? Why does every single game these days have to have an accessible platinum / 100%? 

I don't get it. Completionists already have the "reputation" of avoiding hard games to not put their 100% completion at risk. Well, it's not like many games are coming out that could achieve that nowadays. 

I think I know what you are hinting at here - that people avoid starting games because they are too 'easy' or too 'common' far less than others do because they're too hard?

I agree - just as silly.

I'm only arguing that a quality game is a quality game, regardless of the rarity - and games with difficulty settings are not inherently easy, just because the trophies can be earned on the lowest one. The trophies will be more common, but the experience will not be affected, unless the player chooses to lower the difficulty to the point that they trivialise it for their own personal level.

My point is, I'd play Hades whether it had a hard trophy list, or an 'easy' one.

The actual challenge of the game won't be affected really - I'll play at whatever difficulty I need to to make it fun - and in the case of rogue-likes, fun generally goes hand-in-hand with challenge.

Hell - I pre-ordered the game months ago, without knowing what the list would entail...

...and given that it is a rogue-like, it would not have been out of the realms of imagination that it would come out and be waaaay beyond my abilities to S-Rank.

I am fine with that - if I like the game and get my money's worth, but it's beyond my abilities - so be it.

If, on the other hand, it is very easy to complete the trophy list - also so be it. 

I'll still get the same material experience :dunno:

Realistically, if it is good enough, it should hold my attention long enough to beat a serious challenge, but I'm no gaming elite. I have limits - and my ceiling is lower than yours! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

My point is, I'd play Hades whether it had a hard trophy list, or an 'easy' one.

The actual challenge of the game won't be affected really - I'll play at whatever difficulty I need to to make it fun - and in the case of rogue-likes, fun generally goes hand-in-hand with challenge.

I will too, but.. I don't agree with the second part. Remember when you reviewed Nex Machina in your checklist? We had a discussion about the length of the game, and you yourself wrote that in an Arcade-type game, or rogue-like/lite, what you do in the game is often what the trophy list tells you to. In the case of Hades, as mentioned above by @MojoNJojo, there was a lot of potential for challenging runs tied to trophies. Instead, it is an uninspired, easy, trivial list that will not incentivize you to do anything beyond doing 80+ normal runs... 

That's a shame I'd say! 

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hell - I pre-ordered the game months ago, without knowing what the list would entail...

...and given that it is a rogue-like, it would not have been out of the realms of imagination that it would come out and be waaaay beyond my abilities to S-Rank.

So did I ;)  

5 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I will too, but.. I don't agree with the second part. Remember when you reviewed Nex Machina in your checklist? We had a discussion about the length of the game, and you yourself wrote that in an Arcade-type game, or rogue-like/lite, what you do in the game is often what the trophy list tells you to. 

That is a slightly off-kilter argument - I said that in relation to how I judge the length of a run based game for a review.

Since it's difficult to estimate the true 'length' of a game where repeatability is baked-in, I use 'Completion of the trophy list' as the defacto 'length' of the game,.

I wasn't saying no one should do anything beyond what the trophy requirements are, I was saying that (in the case of Nex) there are in game challenges that are deliberately designed to be waaaay beyond the capabilities of the average gamer - and of me personally - but that the trophy list achievements alone were more than enough to get your money's worth out of it

Edited by DrBloodmoney

5 hours ago, FielVeredus said:

For people who don't like God mode just don't use it.

i think accessibility of difficulty of this game is also a part of why it is resonate with more people, it just let you customize how challenege your game is always a good thing and already prove that this feature didnt decline a game design or enjoyment of people who want challenge game. even rarer in rougelike game to have something like this. I always dont understand why Souls game player just want their game unaccessible for other who just want to enjoy the game for begging easier mode.

Celeste is another example that also fantastic game with this kind of accessibility feature, so it is not make the game less fun for people who want challenge game.

I don’t mind easy modes or even “story modes” for games that were intentionally built to be challenging. What I do mind is when the game doesn’t disable trophies for selecting those modes. It’s not really an “achievement” to do some of the wild things these games ask you to do, while also breaking the entire ethos of the game design. Celeste goes from a platformer to basically a 2h visual novel. At that point, watch a walkthrough. 

Also I find the whole accessibility thing to be a cop-out. Easy mode isn’t an accessibility option. Accessibility options are accessibility options. The things that Spider-Man added were accessibility options, like ridding QTEs or allowing you to hold those prompts. Things like key-rebinding options are accessibility options. Custom-controller support. Aim-lock on. 

People have beaten Dark Souls with one hand before. People have beaten Dark Souls blindfolded. Almost nothing in Dark Souls can’t be mastered with practice and time. You know what an “easy mode” says to Miyazaki? It says “I don’t want to make time for your game.” Dark Souls wasn’t made for the hardcore crowd, it was made for the patient crowd. 

Most of the platinum holders for Crypt of the Necrodancer say that at a certain point, the game stops being about difficulty and starts to be about sinking several hours a day for months to practice. 

• Like 2

I play what i want to play even if it has a easy or hard trophy list. I really dont care even if i like my UR trophies. In my opinion this whole Discussion has nothing to Do with rarity. If there is a hard ass game with a really hard trophy list, wouldnt it also be high % in rarity because all of the people who play it will be the one who wants the challenge and will most likely plat the game? Then the rarity will be high because no one wanted to play it because of the trophy list. And if accessible Mode will dissable trophies i guess there will be enough gamer who then will never be Listed with one trophy and the rarity will still be high cause only the player for a challenge will go for the trophies :hmm:

I am just scared that good developers will not earn enough money to develope a new fantastic game because the players are not Willing to buy the game because of to hard games / trophies

All in all i want to play good and interesting games with a good challenge if the gameplay allows it. My heart will break if some developers need to stop their job for a decent varity of games because the games are to hard and are not accessible for players who would normally buy those games if those modes are available. Everyone of US wants to life their lives with a good income and if my existence is in Danger because of a to challenging game i would always go With an enjoyable game for everyone even if i would piss off the trophy hunters (no offense, i love the community)

4 minutes ago, Inuty said:

I play what i want to play even if it has a easy or hard trophy list. I really dont care even if i like my UR trophies. In my opinion this whole Discussion has nothing to Do with rarity. If there is a hard ass game with a really hard trophy list, wouldnt it also be high % in rarity because all of the people who play it will be the one who wants the challenge and will most likely plat the game? Then the rarity will be high because no one wanted to play it because of the trophy list. And if accessible Mode will dissable trophies i guess there will be enough gamer who then will never be Listed with one trophy and the rarity will still be high cause only the player for a challenge will go for the trophies :hmm:

I am just scared that good developers will not earn enough money to develope a new fantastic game because the players are not Willing to buy the game because of to hard games / trophies

All in all i want to play good and interesting games with a good challenge if the gameplay allows it. My heart will break if some developers need to stop their job for a decent varity of games because the games are to hard and are not accessible for players who would normally buy those games if those modes are available. Everyone of US wants to life their lives with a good income and if my existence is in Danger because of a to challenging game i would always go With an enjoyable game for everyone even if i would piss off the trophy hunters (no offense, i love the community)

That’s not at all true. Hard niche games will still maintain low rarities. 

Because the one’s that want a challenge will try, but a lot may give up. Crypt of the Necrodancer is generally agreed to be the hardest platinum ever. It has only 11 platinum holders despite being the hardest platinum ever. 

Also challenging but fair games can still be very successful. Look at Binding of Isaac. Dark Souls. Dead Cells. Super Meat Boy. 

Edited by SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki

1 hour ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

This sums up the whole situation perfectly, I don't understand why people are finding this so hard to grasp.

I grew up in the era of games where you couldn't save many games, (NES, SNES, Megadrive) so you had to learn to get good enough to finish the game in 1 sitting in many instances otherwise you were never gonna get to see the credits roll. Some games on those consoles had serious difficulty spikes in the later levels (I'm looking at you Mickey Mania) & as a kid, the only way I could get back to the point ai died after a game over to practise was to play the game again through to that point.

These days, modern gamers don't really realise how easy they already have it with instant saves, quick saves & how the majority of games seems to auto save every 5 minutes. That's fine though because that's what you grew up with so you didn't know to expect anything different.

I personally grew up with the older games & I prefer that style so all I do is turn the difficulty up. Most games I play, if there is a difficulty option, I at the very least start on hard as I don't enjoy at all being able to just waltz through a game with ease. On the flip of that, my other half isn't much of a gamer but she enjoys playing them for the story so she plays on easy/normal just to experience it.

I like earning trophies in games but the trophy & achievement systems definitely changed things for the worse. Once upon a time, games were judged on their graphics, art style, replayabiilty, soundtrack & gameplay & a complete bug free game was what we got on release day. We had 3 options to get games, buy them from a local shop if you had one that sold games (Internet ordering wasn't a thing when I was little as there was no Internet), borrow from a friend or if you were lucky enough to have a place close by that did it, rent them. These days people won't even try a game they could potentially love if they don't like the look of the trophy list, where did gaming go wrong to get to that point?

As as little kid, I used to save up pocket money, Birthday money, Christmas money etc to fund my gaming habit. My parents were also wonderful & if there was a big release I wanted around Birthday or Christmas, I got it as a present meaning I could use any money I got towards any other games I liked the look of & as the internet didn't exist back then, we didn't have trailers or gameplay as such so I bought many a game on a whim based on it's box art & description on the back of the case (I even do that occasionally these days, most recently with Vambrace: Cold Soul because it's art style caught my eye immediately) & I think that era is something many gamers have missed out on that they could have enjoyed.

My point is, people need to stop fixating on trophy rarity. Gaming offers many things & experiences, trophies are only one of them. You only get out of a game what you put into it. I for one am pleased that more & more companies are offering accessibility options, why shouldn't my favourite hobby also be more accessible to less able players? Of course you'll get people using them to get trophies easier but that will still be a minority that you'll only hear about in places like this forum.

The important thing now is the fact many more people get to experience games because players with disabilities or difficulties are finally being considered by developers when games are being made, it's just a pity it's taken the best part of 30+ years to reach this point.

There were many classics back then, but there were also a lot of stinkers. A lot of NES, SNES and Megadrive games were practically unfair. Nobody cared about accessibility. Most grown ups passed off video gaming as some activity that geeky computer nerds and kids would do.

At 33 years old I honestly feel I was one of the last kids to truly experience the old school era firsthand. Some of my early memories was playing the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was one of the first games I rented, which of course I couldn't do myself, my parents rented it for me. We had an old video rental store not far from where I live that had VHS tapes and Genesis games, as well as SNES titles. I never had a SNES myself, but I had a relative who would bring his SNES console over. Street Fighter II: World Warrior was one game I played a lot on the SNES. I was one of the few kids lucky enough to experience both the Genesis and SNES.

I got around to the Nintendo 64, but not until years later. I had some friends who would come over and spend the night at my house. We played Goldeneye 007 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, among other games. We took turns playing. There was no 'real' multiplayer in console gaming back then, everything was couch co-op/multiplayer. We played the multiplayer in Goldeneye 007 endlessly. Same with Mario Party. Even if achievements existed, none of us would of gone out of our way to grab them.

Things started to shift around the PlayStation 2 generation. Games were getting better and more accessible. I like to think of the PS2 era as the middle ground between the old NES era and the current era we live in. Accessibility was still something a lot of developers didn't grasp, but it was a lot better by the time the PS2 rolled around. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was fair and was plenty doable for most anybody to beat the story. The internet was already having an impact on how people looked at gaming. I used to lurk a lot on GameFAQs. MySpace surprisingly was a good place for us gamers to join in our groups and talk about our favorite hobby.

I did everything you did. Rent games from Blockbuster, borrow games from a friend, and eventually buy games. I had my first job in 2005 and one of the first games I bought was God of War.

It was a different era. It was the same with movies and music. We didn't know if that latest album from Green Day was going to be any good so we took a chance at it. I was a huge Power Rangers fan growing up. Loved the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a kid, rented those old VHS tapes at Blockbuster. That is something the kids of today will never witness or recount, as that's all old obsolete technology from the past from a company that is now long gone. But they're having their memories now, and I bet 20 years from now they'll be reminiscing about their childhood.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

there are in game challenges that are deliberately designed to be waaaay beyond the capabilities of the average gamer - and of me personally

Yes they are called “challenges” for a reason.

1 hour ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

My point is, people need to stop fixating on trophy rarity. Gaming offers many things & experiences, trophies are only one of them.

You’re in a trophy thoughts forum. Trophy thoughts forums are 100% of the time always discussing difficulty of the trophies. You might as well walk into a church during service and tell people to stop fixating on God and experience life some more. Which is incredibly oblivious to the environment and community. 

Just because you don’t appreciate the satisfaction of earning a difficulty trophy or platinum doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t. And I don’t mean artificial difficulty like tying one hand behind your back and playing. There is no satisfaction when you’re the only one playing the “hard way”, unless you’re getting paid for it via Twitch viewers, at least for me and apparently a good number of people on this forum. 

“These days people won't even try a game they could potentially love if they don't like the look of the trophy list, where did gaming go wrong to get to that point?”

Gaming didn’t “get to this point”. I don’t know what crowd you’re referring to or which “people” you’re referring to, but games like Wolfenstein and Ninja Gaiden are wildly popular despite their difficulty and difficult trophy lists. If you’re talking about trophy hunters, then we’re an insignificant minority in the gaming audience, that does not account for the rest of the sales of these games. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, they aren't, actually...

They're called Feats - I was speaking colloquially.

But good one 1f602.png 1f44d.png

I didn’t know you were specifically referring to Hades. Same thing applies. It’s not a “Feat” to do what the game asks with 80% damage reduction. You have all the time in the world to do things the intended way, and if you don’t respect the game enough to do that, then what can I really say. 

I just don’t think you should underestimate your abilities or prowess the way you do. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

You’re in a trophy thoughts forum. Trophy thoughts forums are 100% of the time always discussing difficulty of the trophies. You might as well walk into a church during service and tell people to stop fixating on God and experience life some more. Which is incredibly oblivious to the environment and community. 

They really aren't though, you're fixating on a single thing out of many. Yes trophy difficulty is a common discussion but it is by no means always 100% of the discussion. I could list countless different things that people talk about on here on a daily basis but I won't as that will only derail the original intention of this thread further.

You clearly have a set idea in your mind for what the standard in games & difficulty/accessibility should be which is perfectly fine as everyone is entitled to an opinion. However other people also have their own opinions which differ from yours, that doesn't make them wrong any more than yours makes you right. You should remember that before calling someone oblivious just for having a different thought process.

4 minutes ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

I could list countless different things that people talk about on here on a daily basis but I won't as that will only derail the original intention of this thread further.

You mean things like length of play and multiplayer grind? All things stemmed to how doable the platinum is to get. Everything else after that is a derail off the initial few posts as sub conversations start to unravel such as this one. 

4 minutes ago, ObsceneSociopath said:

You should remember that before calling someone oblivious just for having a different thought process.

You literally just wrote a 5 paragraph rant lecturing everyone on how to enjoy their video games and stop fixating on trophies. The intolerant one is you, sorry. 

16 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

I didn’t know you were specifically referring to Hades.

I'm not - I'm referring to Nex Machina...

...did you even read the posts you're citing? - it was literally the word immediately prior to where you started quoting...

16 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

You have all the time in the world to do things the intended way, and if you don’t respect the game enough to do that, then what can I really say. 

I do - this is literally the exact argument I have been making this whole time - that inclusion of a God Mode is immaterial, since no one has to use it if they don't want to, and the challenge is still there for everyone, whether there is a 'cheat-mode' or not.

All it takes is the modicum of self-discipline required to not use it - and I think most people who like games, and not just a high trophy count, won't.

Cars, busses, trains and taxis all exist... people still go for a run though.

Just because an easy mode exists, doesn't mean everyone is suddenly going to use it to ruin their own fun.

Someone could drive 26 miles very easily...

...that doesn't mean people are only running marathons because they don't have a car available.

I just don’t think you should underestimate your abilities or prowess the way you do. 

I don't - I know my limits, and what I'm capable of, and am not, and what I'm willing to endure and what I'm not...

...and I like trophies too! I like having that record of my gaming - that history and that list of achievements...

...I just don't need a super-rare trophy percentage to go along with any gaming accomplishment to make me feel like an extra-special, precious boy.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3