Which "big in japan" games are worth it

irusjayd

I love these types of sales because i can pick up often unique games, has anyone bought any so far? I got kandaawa jet girls, and a few visual novels. I might get the last guardian. and was thinkin of a ys game or an atelier game. or gravity rush

i dont like fighting games or duneon crawlers or 2d side scrollers. but am curious as to what other people have tried and enjoyed 

has anyone played the Ys or atelier games? Where do I start?

Persona 5 Royal, released in 2020, its an updated version of Persona 5 (2017). It has tons of QoL improvements that make playing the original really hard to enjoy. Includes all the DLC + adds in about 10-15% more content (cutscenes, characters, battles, etc).

I’d recommend the Yakuza series but somehow only Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon is on sale, and 40% definitely isn’t a bad deal. It’s a completely new set of characters & story so it actually is a great jumping in point.

• Like 2

I have only played Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana but they are good games that I think are worth getting. I have yet to play Ys IX since I would like to get a physical version but I feel like I never see it on sale. I have heard good things about it though despite some apparent shortcomings.

• Like 1

Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversary Bundle

Bayonetta is an amazing game. It’s like Devil May Cry if you have every played that. Combos, combat just everything in general is amazing. Not to mention the fact that the game runs on 4K 60 fps with intense graphics. Vanquish however I have not heard of it and it has a ultra rare platinum so I do not have anything to comment about that but the bundle is 5 dollars cheaper than original listing of Bayonetta and you get 2 games out of it. Worth it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CaptainMonkster said:

I enjoy the atelier games, they stopped with the English dubs a long time ago though (possibly atelier escha and logy) which put some people off but I still enjoy them!

Which atelier games on this sale have you tried? There are like 15 of them. Online it says atelier ryza 2 is the easiest, but the price is still pretty high.

32 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I have only played Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana but they are good games that I think are worth getting. I have yet to play Ys IX since I would like to get a physical version but I feel like I never see it on sale. I have heard good things about it though despite some apparent shortcomings.

ys celceta is the only one on the big in japan sale. Any good? 

43 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Persona 5 Royal, released in 2020, its an updated version of Persona 5 (2017). It has tons of QoL improvements that make playing the original really hard to enjoy. Includes all the DLC + adds in about 10-15% more content (cutscenes, characters, battles, etc).

I’d recommend the Yakuza series but somehow only Yakuza (7): Like a Dragon is on sale, and 40% definitely isn’t a bad deal. It’s a completely new set of characters & story so it actually is a great jumping in point.

Persona 5 was my game of the ps4 generation. I'm want to get the steelbook of royal if i can find it. I think i played yakuza 4. i remember playing it for like 5 hours and i never go a trophy. i said to myself "this is going to be a long game" and havent gone back to them despite how much fun they are. I got kiwami on PS plus maybe I'll try it this week.

34 minutes ago, Drizzora- said:

Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversary Bundle

Bayonetta is an amazing game. It’s like Devil May Cry if you have every played that. Combos, combat just everything in general is amazing. Not to mention the fact that the game runs on 4K 60 fps with intense graphics. Vanquish however I have not heard of it and it has a ultra rare platinum so I do not have anything to comment about that but the bundle is 5 dollars cheaper than original listing of Bayonetta and you get 2 games out of it. Worth it.

Bayonetta was incredible. I remember playing it on PS3 and being terrible at it. I'd love to play it again. Vanquish is famous for how difficult it is to platinum. I watched videos of a boss fight that made me give up before i even started.

14 minutes ago, syn1905 said:

Don't get last guardian just wait till you get a ps5 and get it in the plus collection. 

I got duskdiver in this sale and I don't know how I missed this game it's great.

Until i get one in my hands, i believe the PS5 is a myth. But i probably won't get last guardian. Im leaning more towrds gravity rush remastered and ys. duskdiver looks good. just watched the trailer. thanks for the recomendation

• Like 1

I got myself a Ys 9 Monstrum Nox and having a blast with it. (I know its the wrong sale, but the discount is still on right now)

As for Big in Japan I would highly recommend recommend 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. 

13 minutes ago, irusjayd said:

I have played Celceta and it was a slog. Ys 8 is a much better game in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, irusjayd said:

There are like 15 of them. Online it says atelier ryza 2 is the easiest, but the price is still pretty high.

Get yourself a Sophie or Ryza 1 if you want to try to get into the series.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, irusjayd said:

Yeah, I thought it was good. I'm not sure what to compare it to but it's kind of an action JRPG. I think it's worth playing even if you haven't played the other Ys games before. If you wind up liking it I would definitely keep an eye out for Lacrimosa of Dana whenever that goes on sale although the gameplay between Celceta and Dana is sort of different.

You also mentioned Gravity Rush in the opening post too and I would recommend that too.

I'd recommend 13 Sentinels. Will be right up your alley if you like VN's.

I do not recommend Ys Celceta, 8 and 9 are better games.

If you wanna play Atelier, I think it's best to start with Ryza 1. Or you could splurge a bit of money and buy the Dusk Trilogy pack, those 3 are the nicest games available. 

Or maybe just buy Escha&Logy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, irusjayd said:

Which atelier games on this sale have you tried? There are like 15 of them. Online it says atelier ryza 2 is the easiest, but the price is still pretty high.

My favourite games were the arland trilogy ( rorona, totori and meruru) but atelier Sophie is the 1st in a fairly recent trilogy. I can't say anything about ryza as I haven't played it 

• Like 1

I'm playing through .hack GU and I'd say its worth the sale price if you want a ps2 era jrpg that's unique in it's gameplay. Its fairly lengthy over the course of the 4 volumes, the plat seems easy enough so far. Combat can get a little repetitive but the story and lore are carrying the game enough for me to see it to the end.

• Like 2

Cold Steel albeit by far the weakest part of the legend of heroes franchise, is pretty worth it if you like JRPGs at the price it's at. since you're basically getting a 100 hour game if you go for the plat and still a pretty solid 50-60 hour one if not. Would need to go back to play through Sky and Zero/Ao if you wanted to go any further into it than the 2nd game though really.

Like others have said, 13 sentinels is definitely worth a pick-up. Even if someone wasn't big on VN styled games, as a scifi story it's excellent and one of the best grabs for this sale

Edited by Thrasher429
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:24 AM, irusjayd said:

Persona 5 was my game of the ps4 generation. I'm want to get the steelbook of royal if i can find it. I think i played yakuza 4. i remember playing it for like 5 hours and i never go a trophy. i said to myself "this is going to be a long game" and havent gone back to them despite how much fun they are. I got kiwami on PS plus maybe I'll try it this week.

Bayonetta was incredible. I remember playing it on PS3 and being terrible at it. I'd love to play it again. Vanquish is famous for how difficult it is to platinum. I watched videos of a boss fight that made me give up before i even started.

Until i get one in my hands, i believe the PS5 is a myth. But i probably won't get last guardian. Im leaning more towrds gravity rush remastered and ys. duskdiver looks good. just watched the trailer. thanks for the recomendation

If you want to get Gravity Rush Remastered, buy PS Now. You get all PS3 classics: Infamous collection, BioShock collection, All Sly Cooper games, most of the Ratchet & Clank games. It's totally worth it and of course you get Gravity Rush Remastered.

P.S: To be able to play PS3 games, you have to have a high wifi power in order to be able to stream.

Thanks for the recommendations. There are some great games that Im looking forward to playing. I got Atelier Ryza, 13 sentinals and dusk diver. I have 428 scramble in my PS cart. Trigger witch looks like a blast. And I should wait to get Ys 8 or 9 on sale.

There are dozens of other games on the list i was looking at. Date a live, root letter, gal gun. but i can wait for the next Japan sale to buy those. Hopefully Gungrave will be out by then.

• Like 1

These kind of sales are aimed for people who like to run mostly RPGs, so my recommendation it to focus on the big 3 franchises: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales of. If you have one of those in your library, I guess you'll have lots of hours of entertainment and non stop adventures. Right now I'm personally tempted to go for Tales of Zestiria, but not sure due my huge backlog, LOL. 

• Like 2

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim for the win! Such an amazing game.

I want to pick up something from this sale too and narrowed it down to two options.

The first is World of Final Fantasy. Can’t go wrong with this one I think.

The second is The Lost Child. It seems like a first person SMT clone with absolutely no information on it and only 5 platinum achievers. This could be a fun challenge.

I still got a few days to make a decision.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, HuntingFever said:

My recommendations would be for Song of Memories and Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash :).

Thank you. Senran Kagura is the type of game i was hoping for. With a sale like this I was hoping for something bonkers like dusk diver or gun gal (gal gun?). so far i've bought death mark, kadagawa jet girls, atelier ryza, dusk diver, song of memory and root letter and 13 sentinels. I've decided against trigger witch and 428 for now. So far death Mark sucks, in case anyone was tempted.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:17 AM, Xenoblast91 said:

These kind of sales are aimed for people who like to run mostly RPGs, so my recommendation it to focus on the big 3 franchises: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales of. If you have one of those in your library, I guess you'll have lots of hours of entertainment and non stop adventures. Right now I'm personally tempted to go for Tales of Zestiria, but not sure due my huge backlog, LOL. 

in my lifetime i've played final fantasy 10-2, 13 and dirge or cerberus. Never played a tales of or dragon quest. I'm a big fan of ther smaller games on sale that are often overlooked. Honestly I'd be interested in graces f or symphonia if they were remastered. which ones did you like? 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, Baker said:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim for the win! Such an amazing game.

I want to pick up something from this sale too and narrowed it down to two options.

The first is World of Final Fantasy. Can’t go wrong with this one I think.

The second is The Lost Child. It seems like a first person SMT clone with absolutely no information on it and only 5 platinum achievers. This could be a fun challenge.

I still got a few days to make a decision.

I'd say world of final fantasy. Lost child would be a challenge but the final fantasy would be a fun game in a general sense. I hope you get a good one though. The sale has some gems

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irusjayd said:

Thank you. Senran Kagura is the type of game i was hoping for. With a sale like this I was hoping for something bonkers like dusk diver or gun gal (gal gun?). so far i've bought death mark, kadagawa jet girls, atelier ryza, dusk diver, song of memory and root letter and 13 sentinels. I've decided against trigger witch and 428 for now. So far death Mark sucks, in case anyone was tempted.

in my lifetime i've played final fantasy 10-2, 13 and dirge or cerberus. Never played a tales of or dragon quest. I'm a big fan of ther smaller games on sale that are often overlooked. Honestly I'd be interested in graces f or symphonia if they were remastered. which ones did you like? 

I'd say world of final fantasy. Lost child would be a challenge but the final fantasy would be a fun game in a general sense. I hope you get a good one though. The sale has some gems

Dusk Diver is fun up to a point but once you finish the main story, all that's left is a boring grind for the last 7 or so trophies that don't add a whole lot to the experience. I co-wrote the Guide and Supplements for this game on .org so check them out if you ever play this game :). BTW, Dusk Diver 2 s coming out early next year :),