Does Easy / Quick Platinums ruin a gamers reputation as a trophy hunter?

amurnin100

Yeah just play for yourself. Don't earn trophies to try to impress others and don't compare your profile to others is my advice. Some, especially for leaderboard stuff and even things like rare trophies, have stuff behind the scenes you don't know about. You don't know if they even earned them themselves, bought the trophies, cheesed through their games somehow etc.. Or what their circumstances are. Some profiles can be thought of as akin to photo shopped Instagram posts. 

• Like 2

I respect someone who can play and enjoy easy games, so long as they aren't intentionally playing trash games to boost their platinum trophy count. You know the titles I'm talking about, the Hannah Montana's, the 'I am Mayo's', Damnation etc. How can I respect someone who doesn't have respect for themselves? ? Again that's just me personally, play what you enjoy. Don't play bad games to boost your level and platinum count. I mean maybe play bad games if you do it for like an online review series I guess? ^^:

I don't look at other peoples trophies, just my own. But I do admire gamers with difficult trophies rather than a bunch of easy ones. I certainly think it's amazing when i see gamers with all the Kingdom Hearts platinums, or tough plats like FFX and Disgaea games, regardless of number. So it's quality for me. The person with a 100 plats from games like Telltale is obviously not as good imo.   

• Like 2

Quick and easy platinums are the bread and butter of trophy hunters. Those who are in the business of getting high up in the ranks.

The not-so-quick-and-easy platinums are what I think is more worthy of respect as a gamer. Those who are in the business of enjoying what they play, or at least play more challenging games.

They're two different folks.

• Like 2

I don't usually respond to the common "Respect/Trophies/Easy Platinums" Conversation, but I did want to share a personal thought. For me, I play what I like. I haven't had anyone give me grief about the fact that I've completed 100% of my trophies (aside from when I'm actively playing a new game). I have some easy-ish ones, and some hard ones, though, none of the 10-minute-platinum types. If that's what someone enjoys though - who am I to judge? I also know eventually I'll play a game and be unable to complete 100% of the trophies - and I'm really not that terribly concerned about it. 

^That is just to give a glimpse into my personal play preference. But as for the thread topic at hand, I will say that I do look at other people's profiles when they message me, party-up with me, or become friends of mine. And yes - I do compare the trophies oftentimes - but never to judge someone. There are a few reasons I do it, and all are positive in my opinion.

1. Maybe they have a trophy I don't in a game, and they can provide advice? Or visa versa?
  2. If we're playing together or friends, it means maybe they have played some games I haven't, and would enjoy, and get a good referral or personal review from.
  3. Conversation topics! It's always nice to see a big fan of a game, and to be able to discuss other games we have in common - not just the one we're playing.

At the end of the day, I think it's important to allow others to have their preferences, but never to judge, and if people enjoy what they are doing - it doesn't mean they are addicted, or not worthy of respect, or whatever, it just means they are doing what they like. You can do what you like. So there...I said my piece, haha.

Edited by Gnorizon
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Quick and easy platinums are the bread and butter of trophy hunters. Those who are in the business of getting high up in the ranks.

The not-so-quick-and-easy platinums are what I think is more worthy of respect as a gamer. Those who are in the business of enjoying what they play, or at least play more challenging games.

They're two different folks.

Very well said. Couldn’t of said this better myself.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gnorizon said:

none of the 10-minute-platinum types. If that's what someone enjoys though - who am I to judge?

Honestly from my experience a lot of those "10 minute platinum types" are only that short of platinums if the player cares only about the plat and not the game itself.  For example take a game like Legends of Talia: Arcadia or A Winter's Daydream.  Both can be platted in a few minutes, but to do so you have to skip all of the text in the game.  Both are kinetic novels, so they are stories that don't have choices to them, you just read and enjoy the story, art and music.  Doing that in a few minutes is the equivalent of picking up a book and just flipping through all the pages real fast and saying you read it.

I think in cases like that it's not the existence of the game on someone's profile that is a problem.  Both were good reads and fans of visual novels are likely to enjoy them.  The plat time will tell you what sort of player the person is.  Someone who bought those games because they thought they'd enjoy the stories is more likely to have a plat time of a few hours.  Someone who bought them solely for an easy plat will have a plat time of a few minutes. In fact one can say there is some value to such games because they so clearly identify which players are playing games they enjoy and which are playing solely for trophies.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m not sure there is such a thing as a ‘reputation as a trophy hunter’, since ’Trophy Hunter’ is a self-applied title.

You can no more ‘ruin your reputation as a trophy hunter’ by playing certain games, than you can ‘ruin your reputation as a film fan’ by watching too many Marvel or Star Wars or Fast and Furious movies.

Ha! Ha! I found that comparison comical for some reason. 

• Like 1

I trophy hunt as a way to get the most out of the games I want to play. I've never bought a game just for trophies.

Some people play a load of junk games so they can increase their numbers and that's their thing. Maybe their motivation is to get as high in the leaderboards as possible. It's just another way of gaming and there's nothing wrong with it. We all do things our own way.

• 6 months later...