Ps5 Controler Drift.

Blackmist_FFXI

Just wondering, if anyone has any solutions for addressing PS5 controller drift.
my controller I've been using for about a year, give or take - has started to drift, Badly, I hardly tap the left joystick and it just gets "Stuck" imputing "Left" command, even if i push the stick in another direction, and even with the stick in its default spot. 

I've cleaned around the base of the joystick, I've disconnected, and re-paired the controller to the system, as some websites have said "this might fix the signal"  

I barrowed my roomie's spare controller, fresh out of the box. and about 30 hours of game time later, it too is drifting. 

both controllers have been dropped from about 2 feet off the ground, but unless the PS5 controller is a lot more sensitive than the PS3 and PS4 controller's, don't think that would cause significant damage to the controller to effect dead zone.

the only titles I've been playing as of late has been ESO, Nioh 2 and Spell force reforged, so some aggressive use of the directional stick. 

it's rather annoying, and I don't exactly want to buy another 70$ Controller just for it to do the same thing in a few days. (Nor can i really afford it) 

My 10-year-old PS3 controller and 5yr old PS4 controller don't even have this issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Just wondering, if anyone has any solutions for addressing PS5 controller drift.
my controller I've been using for about a year, give or take - has started to drift, Badly, I hardly tap the left joystick and it just gets "Stuck" imputing "Left" command, even if i push the stick in another direction, and even with the stick in its default spot. 

My first suggestion is get a hold of Sony Support and try to get it replaced under Warranty. Don’t make assumptions about whether they’ll help you or not, just try. Worse case scenario, you don’t get it replaced at no cost and you’re right where you are today. 

If you are unable to get it replaced under warranty, there are videos for opening the DualSense and using rubbing alcohol to clean some of the contacts that determine how the joystick functions. 

I’ll find a video and post it if I remember and no one else has posted one yet. 

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

My first suggestion is get a hold of Sony Support and try to get it replaced under Warranty. Don’t make assumptions about whether they’ll help you or not, just try. Worse case scenario, you don’t get it replaced at no cost and you’re right where you are today. 

If you are unable to get it replaced under warranty, there are videos for opening the DualSense and using rubbing alcohol to clean some of the contacts that determine how the joystick functions. 

I’ll find a video and post it if I remember and no one else has posted one yet. 

that would be helpful!  ya i need to get some Isopropyl alcohol to clean it better than a dry Q-tip - didn't get much of anything off the joystick when I dry swabbed it but odd possibility that there's something there i can't see.

As much as I love my PS5 and the ergonomics of the DualSense design, the quality of the internal components is absolute dogshit. If it's under warranty, get a replacement ASAP, and hope you don't get stuck with another future-defective controller.

The next time you buy a PS5 controller, go for the coloured ones as they are more recent and Sony has revisioned them, i think they have something like better analog sticks to make it last longer and without getting stick drift and they have better springs for the R2 and L2

Edited by saiyanbloodstyle

21 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

The next time you buy a PS5 controller, go for the coloured ones as they are more recent and Sony has revisioned them, i think they have something like better analog sticks to make it last longer and without getting stick drift and they have better springs for the R2 and L2

Ya went to GameStop and was asking about the controller thing, they said the color ones are better design.

Deiced to buy a new one and attempt to fix the other ones. and see if Sony would replace the roomies controller (newer one)

Hurray for credit cards I guess lol.

I have a launch controller and bought a red controller when it was released. Had to send both to Sony to get repaired. Both worked fine after being sent back to me for quite some time, however, the launch controller is beginning to show the early drift symptoms again.

Something's definitely off about this gen's controllers.

This is fairly common (with Switch and Xbox as well). Happened to me multiple times (with PS4 as well). Luckily it's covered by a warranty and I always got a replacement.

You were lucky it didn't happen with your PS4 controller. This is an old issue.

In cases of serious drift it's unfortunately very difficult (or near impossible if you're not familiar with advanced repairs and soldering) as it has been ever since the introduction of the PS3's Sixaxis, as the mechanical part of the analog sticks is part of the motherboard.

20220801-002247.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that the PS5 controller is DOGSHIT not worth the price you pay for them every single controller I've ever used has STICK DRIFT, and it's pathetic that they cost so much but do not last very long at all.

I have 2 white ones from when I bought my console, both with this issue, then when the blue and purple ones came out I got one of each and both have this issue. Furthermore, I'm in the opinion that Sony have made them this way on purpose, so you spend more money because stick drift drives people nuts when you're trying to do something and the controller is messing you up, so you get annoyed and can't take it any more and get another controller. I know that sounds so far-fetched but if the parts inside are truly this bad why have they not taken a look at it when those new colours came out and fix the issue.

3 hours ago, DezuKiwami said:

In cases of serious drift it's unfortunately very difficult (or near impossible if you're not familiar with advanced repairs and soldering) as it has been ever since the introduction of the PS3's Sixaxis, as the mechanical part of the analog sticks is part of the motherboard.

20220801-002247.jpg

Ya I know nothing about soldering and circuitry, I get the concept, and get how it's done.

But I haven't a clue nor the equipment to do it.

The drift on the launch controller is very bad. Like I tap it ever so slightly and it acts as if I'm full tilt. I have to fight the system menus just to disconnect the controller, it resets it's self and then is good for afew hours or a few seconds.

@theSpirae ya I am lucky, aside from the 20year ani. Edition controller my last roommates dog got ahold of,  all 4? 5? (I've like 4 ps4's) are all still in rather good condition.

One has Little issue with input and two no longer charge via the usb port and I gotta use one of them after market 'headphone Jack" docking bays (I feel like these sap the battery's overall life...)

6 hours ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

I've cleaned around the base of the joystick, I've disconnected, and re-paired the controller to the system, as some websites have said "this might fix the signal"  

I barrowed my roomie's spare controller, fresh out of the box. and about 30 hours of game time later, it too is drifting. 

both controllers have been dropped from about 2 feet off the ground, but unless the PS5 controller is a lot more sensitive than the PS3 and PS4 controller's, don't think that would cause significant damage to the controller to effect dead zone.

the only titles I've been playing as of late has been ESO, Nioh 2 and Spell force reforged, so some aggressive use of the directional stick. 

it's rather annoying, and I don't exactly want to buy another 70$ Controller just for it to do the same thing in a few days. (Nor can i really afford it) 

My 10-year-old PS3 controller and 5yr old PS4 controller don't even have this issue.

whenever i bought a ps5 controller i paid like $10 in store for warranty. If i smash the crap out of it, i get a new controller from that store and i can get another warranty for $10 on the NEW replacment

Better than taking crap apart, hoping it doesnt drift. Or waiting 2 to 6 weeks for Sony.

That said i only ever had slight drift in 1 of the 5 controllers i have

12 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

whenever i bought a ps5 controller i paid like $10 in store for warranty. If i smash the crap out of it, i get a new controller from that store and i can get another warranty for $10 on the NEW replacment

Better than taking crap apart, hoping it doesnt drift. Or waiting 2 to 6 weeks for Sony.

That said i only ever had slight drift in 1 of the 5 controllers i have

Yah, I went and got a new controller+yr service plan. As other two aren't useable.

Even trying to play Digimon survive. Fighting for grid placing had me wanting to smash the stupid thing. Lol.

None the less might see if Sony would be able to do anything about it. And still have two controllers 

30 minutes ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Yah, I went and got a new controller+yr service plan. As other two aren't useable.

Even trying to play Digimon survive. Fighting for grid placing had me wanting to smash the stupid thing. Lol.

None the less might see if Sony would be able to do anything about it. And still have two controllers 

i prefer store warranty as imo its quicker to go to a store say this is defective and walk out with a new one.

but yeah drift plus grid based games or choice based VN lol probably not the best idea :P

As much as I would like to tout how I love the weight, the ergonomics, and tiny features like adaptive triggers, and built in mics, I am really starting to hate these controllers. Only about 3 or 4 months of play, no drops, no damage, still clean, and I am having controller drift and connectivity issues.

A small amount of drift might be able to be worked with, but we are talking input lag of seconds. And then when it finally decides to work it does so with a zeal that is unmatched. What's worse is that this problem is intermittent. It lulls you into a false sense that it stopped being an *** hat and is going to work now.

Aside from that, they will both randomly lose sync with the console. Even if you arent using one. I've already had to reset and resync them twice. Scares the crap out of me when I am mid game hours past a save and I have to manually shut down the console. 

I think what makes this sting the most is that I had launch ps4 controllers that worked perfectly until the internal battery died. I then paid to replace the battery and it kept going with no issues for EIGHT years! Wtf is going on Sony?

6 minutes ago, Darksider said:

Well it happened to me with at least five different DualShock 4 (even with the 500 Million Limited Edition one, which I’m pretty mad about). Every ~ 6/9 months I had to buy a new DualShock 4 because they all started to drift even though I take extra care of them. So this issue is definitely not new to the DualSense.

Same here. I had to buy a new one every year. It's like a tax at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been happening a lot since ps5 came out my first ps4 controller lasted three years before it got drift then the next one got drift under three months the next one just as long. Just got a ps5 it’s annoying to see this is still a problem 

• 4 months later...

The request repair service page is awful.

Firstly theres no option in the menu to say that your controller has a drift issue. The closest thing is 'the analogue stick is stuck'.

After entering my controller serial number and model number on the repairs page it keeps saying "Oops! We could not find your product.", even though I'm in the dualsense section and its got a picture of a dualsense right above so they should know what product it is.

Then they say please contact the support team directly but dont leave a number, only a 'contact us' button.

I click the contact us button and its gone back to the 'what do you need help with' page. I go into hardware and repairs > Dualsense > playstation repairs and I'm back where I started.

The only other option is to speak to a 'playstation expert' who apparently is just another playstation user and he couldnt tell me how to contact the mysterious support team either.

Has anyone in the UK been through this process and got a contact number or email address I can use?

Update: I gave up and I'm now only playing PS4 games on PS5 using my old PS4 controller.

Edited by JediKnight_327
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was just going to address this, since the recent update of the dualsense, my launch controller too has been pulling the camera angle to the left.  I have just recently got the Platinum again for Rift apart on my second account, but when I played and got my 75th on this account, the camera was perfectly fine and was always to the front and behind rivet or ratchet, but when I played it on my other account, the camera was constantly pitching to the left [ or swing around fast ].  I have just launched Death's Door again and whilst the controller is sitting still on the floor whilst I am typing this and the Crow is just standing in front of the first levels door, the screen is shuddering left to right, sometimes uncontrollably.  This is the first time I have ever had a drifting controller, not even PS3 or 4 ones ever did this[ certainly not mine anyway ] wtf did Sony do? It's only 16 months old and the controllers don't come cheap especially if you go for the coloured ones [ the purple one being almost £90 ] and if it IS the update then they are going to drift as well as soon as you launch the update. 

Is there a workaround in the settings maybe? Maybe Sony need to be informed that their update sucks and has made things worse for players, and for players that are prone motion sickness [ one big reason why I don't play games in first person ] its not good.

Edited by alexandra-jane09

38 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

I was just going to address this, since the recent update of the dualsense, my launch controller too has been pulling the camera angle to the left.  I have just recently got the Platinum again for Rift apart on my second account, but when I played and got my 75th on this account, the camera was perfectly fine and was always to the front and behind rivet or ratchet, but when I played it on my other account, the camera was constantly pitching to the left [ or swing around fast ].  I have just launched Death's Door again and whilst the controller is sitting still on the floor whilst I am typing this and the Crow is just standing in front of the first levels door, the screen is shuddering left to right, sometimes uncontrollably.  This is the first time I have ever had a drifting controller, not even PS3 or 4 ones ever did this[ certainly not mine anyway ] wtf did Sony do? It's only 16 months old and the controllers don't come cheap especially if you go for the coloured ones [ the purple one being almost £90 ] and if it IS the update then they are going to drift as well as soon as you launch the update. 

Is there a workaround in the settings maybe? Maybe Sony need to be informed that their update sucks and has made things worse for players, and for players that are prone motion sickness [ one big reason why I don't play games in first person ] its not good.

I've had 0 issues and all my controllers updated,  and i use them daily. Try resetting the entire controller and go from there. I wouldn't blame Sony entirely for something caused by wear and tear when it happens on xbox and switch as well with switch still being the worst. All products do fail sometimes and if better parts were used, controllers would cost more.

So:

Option A: Reset your dualsense and see if it helps (unlikely)

Option B: Return for refund or exchange if you can and invest in a new Dualsense. 

Also i dont think Rift Apart had it but you can check deadzone settings for some games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

I've had 0 issues and all my controllers updated,  and i use them daily. Try resetting the entire controller and go from there. I wouldn't blame Sony entirely for something caused by wear and tear when it happens on xbox and switch as well with switch still being the worst. All products do fail sometimes and if better parts were used, controllers would cost more.

So:

Option A: Reset your dualsense and see if it helps (unlikely)

Option B: Return for refund or exchange if you can and invest in a new Dualsense. 

Also i dont think Rift Apart had it but you can check deadzone settings for some games. 

Thanks for the response, I shall try some the options and I think I will give it a clean as well whilst I am at it. 

• Like 1