Good Indie PS5 or PS4 games.

ThomasChaffey72

H2x1_NSwitchDS_Othercide_image1600w.jpg

Cannot recommend Othercide enough. It has beautiful visuals, a well crafted roguelike turn based combat system (XCOM style)... and without a doubt one of the best OSTs I've heard from an indie title. The tempo of the boss fight music hits perfectly at every point and phase transition. It's just such a phenomenal game that I could really gush over, but I won't, just check it out.

• Like 1

I'm currently playing HAVEN and it's simply a fantastic indie, chill game.

CHICORY is an absolute delightful indie gem, like old school Zelda games. Despite the cartoonish aesthetics, it has some very mature writing. 

I also reccomend SPIRITFARER. Beautiful art, chill gameplay loop, beautiful narrative. 

And if you're willing to go a bit deeper, superb DISCO ELYSIUM is one of the best CRPGS of the last decade. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE

On 02/11/2022 at 8:06 AM, Sicho said:

I cannot stress this enough.

People need to play INSCRYPTION!

I played it on PC and OMG, this game is an experience! And so many twists. Play this blindly and you will be in for a whole lot of surprises!

It's on my wishlist . I know next to nothing about it, except that it's a card game and everyone says it's really good. Card games aren't usually my thing (outside of Gwent). The last time people raved about an indie game like this and asked people to not read anything about it was Outer Wilds which disappointed me.

On 04/11/2022 at 7:16 AM, ARIXANDRE said:

I'm currently playing HAVEN and it's simply a fantastic indie, chill game.

CHICORY is an absolute delightful indie gem, like old school Zelda games. Despite the cartoonish aesthetics, it has some very mature writing. 

I also reccomend SPIRITFARER. Beautiful art, chill gameplay loop, beautiful narrative. 

And if you're willing to go a bit deeper, superb DISCO ELYSIUM is one of the best CRPGS of the last decade. 

I'm waiting for Chicory to hit the sales again but it seems unlikely now since it was recently added to the Plus catalogue. 

Have had Spiritfarer in the backlog for ages.

Loved Haven. More people need to play it!

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 1

Kentucky Route Zero is featured in my profile pic and one of my favorite narratives in a game ever. It's a point and click adventure game (though no puzzles really, so more of a walking simulator than traditional point and click) with one of the coolest twists on the classic Road story. In general you can't really go wrong with most of what Annapurna produces, but this is the top my list of their games I've played so far.

I also never feel like Going Under gets enough love. Rogue-lite with such a quirky premise - you're an intern and the dungeons are failed tech start-ups. All the aesthetics match the current corporate illustrative style you'd see on Facebook or LinkedIn. 

Edited by skotafactor

On 11/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I know next to nothing about it, except that it's a card game

believe me, that description doesn't even come close :D but I won't spoil anything. Hopefully you'll get to play it some day :)

The Binding of Isaac is more or less the definitive roguelike and if you haven't played it yet, it has a PS5 version which is well worth picking up. Expensive, but you're getting over ten years of content including four expansions (plus the considerable bonus content added in the remake.)

Eastshade is a fun little game which is often described as being a 'peaceful Skyrim' - it's not quite as big, and much less pretty to look at, particularly if you're used to playing games on PS5, but it's a charming game. You play as a painter on a small island, and you go around gathering materials, doing quests, and painting pictures of pretty landscapes.

The Swords of Ditto is another roguelike, although less in the typical fashion. It's essentially a Legend of Zelda-esque experience where you have a freshly generated overworld every game, and must clear dungeons and then advance to a final boss on every run. The art style is lovely, as is the music.

Ikenfell was one of my favorite games of 2020. It's a cute indie RPG wherein you pay a girl looking for her sister in a magic school. The story is engaging, the characters interesting, and it has music by the artists who did Steven Universe's songs.

Ziggurat 2 is... again, a roguelike, only this time it's an FPS roguelike. Like its predecessor, Ziggurat 2 offers tense, high speed gameplay (really, the sprint speed, especially with movement bonuses, is ridiculous) with a wide arsenal of wands, staves, alchemical guns, and various powers through the very diverse cast of characters. If you've ever wanted to jump around a room at full speed while shooting butterflies at evil carrots, this is your moment.

Dysmantle is essentially the ultimate grind, in a good way. As the name implies, much of the gameplay loop involves destroying things. You destroy things to collect materials so that you can destroy more things, eventually being able to tear down the entire environment. It's one of the more fun top down survival games I've played. There's also combat, although it's really a diversion towards the gameplay loop of break thing -> build better smashy -> break more thing.

Astroneer is somewhat similar to the above in that it's another game where much of the gameplay consists of scavenging for resources, however it's more concerned with building bigger and better machinery and advancing down tech trees. You start on a planet, mine its resources, develop new technology with said resources, and then move on to another planet, until you've successfully established a presence on every planet in the solar system. It's also co-op, and I would highly advise playing the game with friends.

Gas Guzzlers Extreme is redneck racing personified. You drive cars with rocket launchers attached and your character is as close to being Duke Nukem as legally possible. There's a few other celebrity impersonations available as voices, but I was content to hear balls of steel repeated for much of the game's playtime.

Lair of the Clockwork Gods is an irreverent point and click adventure / platformer wherein you control Ben and Dan. Ben insists on the validity of point and click games as a genre, while Dan has decided that the hip thing to do is be a platformer. It's a crude, hilarious romp through various nonsensical worlds and its unique gameplay remains interesting throughout its length. Made by the same developer as Ben there, Dan that! and Time Gentlemen, please! if you ever delved into the world of extremely niche Steam indies from 2010.

Ion Fury is a love letter to build engine games, and also literally a build engine game. It is perhaps the best boomer shooter I've played to date. The weapons feel fantastic, and the shotgun is one of my favorites I've used in an FPS game, and even the starting weapon (a bastardization of a revolver that fires three shots at once, can auto-aim, and holds 18 rounds) never loses its usefulness. The levels are detailed and filled with secrets, the 2D sprites are wonderfully high res, and the combat is exceptional. It doesn't just feel like an imitation of build engine games, but rather the natural evolution of them.

• Like 1

On 2022-09-11 at 7:31 PM, Ashande said:

Some of my favorites are Death’s DoorThe Binding of Isaac (though that one’s not going cheap, especially when you factor in all the DLC), Dark DevotionSalt and Sanctuary or it’s sequel, Salt and Sacrifice, Headliner: NoviNewsAngry Video Game Nerd I & II Deluxe, and Infernax, not necessarily in that order.

I feel obligated to warn you, since we’re on  a trophy hunting website, that all of those except Death’s Door have fairly challenging lists that are very skill reliant to complete - or in the case of Headliner, need you to set things up just so -  and even Death’s Door is picky.

I would also really recommend Death’s Door. A really good game. The music is awesome aswell. I often listen to it on Spotify. :)

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure if all of them are by definition 'indie games', but I recommend them with all my heart! <3

Darkwood - One of the few horror games that made me feel truly uncomfortable. Fantastic atmosphere all around, and the way light and shadow is used throughout the game is eerily realistic.

Toem - A beautiful and relaxing photo adventure. Unique style, good humor and just a great experience! Great for every age, and it has a free DLC!

Salt & Sanctuary - A souls-like sidescroll RPG with a comic/cartoonish style. If you like the 'Souls' games, you'll be more than satisfied with this one. A big variety of weapons and armor, fun platforming mixed with the souls typical formula and some unexpected situations. I personally am not a big fan of the second game, Salt & Sacrifice, but maybe I just haven't given it a proper chance yet!

Cat Quest - Fun and colorful adventure RPG. It's short and sweet, and you can basically feel the love the developers put into this game. I bet the second one, Cat Quest 2, is as much of a joy as the first one, but I haven't played it yet!

Minit - A game with a unique gameplay idea. In summary, you have one minute to explore the world and unlock new items and areas, and if that minute has passed, you start at the beginning again with new items and knowledge about puzzles and the world. After every reset, you can progress further and further and you feel content each time you learn about a new passage, a secret tunnel or a shortcut. It's a satisfying experience, and despite the timer, it never feels like you have to rush. Quite a contradiction, but it's actually the truth! The music is catchy as well. The game is on PS+ Extra, so you don't necessarily have to buy it to try it out!

Terraria - In some way, it's a sidescroll Minecraft, but at the same time it's entirely different. So much to explore, so many objects to craft and discover. It might seem like an easy game, but if you're not careful and you don't upgrade your character and gear, you'll get kicked in the ass pretty fast! There are many different bosses, events, NPCs and biomes which change depending on how far into the game you are. I think I played the game for 200+ hours and I still haven't seen every enemy! This game is also on PS+ Extra.

Iconoclasts - A pixel sidescroll platformer with way too catchy music! It might look like a colorful and happy game, but the story is getting dark and serious rather quickly. One of the best story telling indie games I've played so far and I can't recommend it enough!

Darkest Dungeon - This game is not for the weak, or the foolhardy.  An unforgiving and difficult game, but worth every second. The artstyle, the atmosphere, the narrator - it all makes it feel like some kind of dark fairy tale you're stuck in. You will fail several times, but once you overcome a tough situation, you'll feel great. The quotes are like a cherry on top of an already delicious cake! Darkest Dungeon 2 is coming to console someday too.

9th Dawn 3 - Do you like rogue-like games? Are you a fan of card minigames? Have you dreamed about having a small army of helpful pets against a horde of enemies? Do you enjoy fishing? - This game has it all! You can play in couch-coop with a friend or family member, explore dungeons, tame monsters, create weapons and armor and complete your card collection. This game is like an 'all-in-one' package deal.

I can safely say they are all gems in disguise, give them a try! ??

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

La37889.png

I’m gonna drop this one here, as this doesn’t seem to be getting the play it should - the debut game from Geography of Robots, it’s one of the best adventure games I’ve played in a long while, with a killer soundtrack, great art and tone, and some absolutely top-notch writing.

Highly recommended.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One I stumbled on at a sale a few months back was Batbarian. It’s definitely an homage to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but your sidekick bat makes things interesting. By feeding it various berries, you can make use of light, fire and ice powers to solve various puzzles. Tough boss fights (although if the game gets too tough, there are “accessibility” options which lower the difficulty). 

On 1/14/2023 at 0:21 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

La37889.png

I’m gonna drop this one here, as this doesn’t seem to be getting the play it should - the debut game from Geography of Robots, it’s one of the best adventure games I’ve played in a long while, with a killer soundtrack, great art and tone, and some absolutely top-notch writing.

Highly recommended.

Is that the one set in the South? (And yeah, since I’m from there, South gets capitalized.)

• Like 1

I love when I can scroll through a thread and come out with a bunch of new games on my wishlist lol.

I'll also add Little Misfortune to the suggestions. It's a simple point and click story game. But I definitely cried at the story. It's such a great game if you want something short to play.

• Like 1

Rainbow Billy: Curse of the Leviathan - A colourful RPG that is more about befriending those you meet instead of ending their lives. Restoring colour and positivity to the World.
Marsupilami: Hoobadventure - Strongly inspired by Donkey Kong Country games. Perfect for if you want a fun, pleasant 2D platformer with lots of rolling.

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - A turn-based bug-centric RPG inspired strongly by early Paper Mario (and Mario & Luigi) games. 

Night in the Woods - A character driven game with light platforming and rhythm game-play. A story featuring relatable characters in adulthood.

Hell Pie - If you like 3D platformers and already played A Hat in Time, I recommend you this. It is fairly extreme on its grossness though. If you can bypass that it is fun to play and may remind you of the game, Whiplash.

Gunman Clive HD Collection - Two short 2D shooting games that are fun and simple. It does have broken trophies (that will most likely not get fixed) if you are concerned about that.

Xeodrifter - A 2D quick moving sci-fi shooter with upgrades that offer various bullet types. 

Return of the Obra Dinn - A fantasy murder mystery set on a ship. Has a unique mechanic of seeing the last moments of each person you may find.

Steamworld Heist - A 2D tactical-shooter with a band of outer space pirate robots exploring and surviving. It has some RPG elements and lots of hats!

• Like 1

Stories: path of destines: Best indie game I’ve played. It requires multiple playthroughs but they’re short and the story is different every time and the ending is different every time. Really nice art style and a really good narrative behind it. 

Apotheon: maybe the first indie I played? Or at least one of the earlier ones and that it managed to pull me out of the AAA following speak volumes about the game 

Transistor: another really fun game that I enjoyed from start to finish and the style on how you wish to play is completely up to you which I enjoyed the freedom of a lot. It’s very tactical minded with a minor learning curve.

Guacamelee: A nice simple side scrolling platformer similar to Rayman and up there with the quality as well. Definitely a must

Furi: This was a really fun boss rush, hack n slash but it is hard as nails and really brutal. Netherless a fun pick up but the platinum is no joke 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend Paradise Killer simply because I've had the soundtrack stuck in my head for the last few days (the music is great). 

It's flawed but overall the murder mystery and how you go about assembling evidence is really well done.

Plus the world is just fun to be in even if the vaporwave aesthetic won't be to everyone's taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Two really good ones coming in PS+ next month. Inscryption is like nothing I have played before, try to go into it unspoiled.  If Rogue Legacy 2 is anywhere near as good as the first i'll be happy with that too.

Not sure on prices but my favourites:

Binding of Isaac

Enter the Gungeon

Slay the Spire

Darkest Dungeon

Salt and Sanctuary

Cult of the lamb