Microsoft exposed trying to kill PlayStation

Rozalia1

1 minute ago, majob said:

Honestly, the real question is does this news have ANY legal impact on the acquisition case?

Not a lawyer, so honestly don't know. It's possible it might be brought up in the preliminary injunction case, but don't know.

Edited by MidnightDragon

28 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Not surprised at all. If you genuinely thought they weren't out to bring down PlayStation, you're a damn fool or an XBox fanboy. A zebra never changes its stripes after all. They just made the quiet part out loud. Hopefully the group suing to make this public is successful. The damage control MS would be forced to do is insane and I'm sure the regulators won't be too pleased about it. That being said, I don't think Activision and Bethesda alone would be enough to kill off PlayStation, but there's a lot of things MS could still do and they know it. Either way, this is far from over. 

It likely wouldn't be enough, but part of the "strategy" as this says. As we know, Microsoft boasted previously that they were going to do more buyouts after Activision. To me the plan they have, which was made before they got the shock that the FTC/CMA are really daring to try and change how antitrust has functioned for a long time, was to buy up all of the major western publishers. That to me is why Microsoft has argued so strongly the matter of them being a small % of the overall gaming market which factors in consoles, PC, and mobiles. If I recall correctly with Activision they'd be 11%. 40-50% tends to be where you start hitting problems so they'd be able to just keep buying towards that amount.

23 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

The people filing the suit are probably also trying to get that made public.

And have you ever noticed those loudly accusing someone of doing something wrong is usually actually doing it themselves?

Smart to attempt to do so because Microsoft may well desist just to not have it completely in writing their latest attempt to run someone out of business with their sheer wealth.

It is called projection. It is also a tactic certain political figures use which involves attacking the enemy where you yourself are weak to muddy things up. Xbox obviously is trying to grow by making PlayStation smaller, so accuse PlayStation of wanting to grow by making Xbox smaller with your PR machine. With that such a thing is now out there about PlayStation and if someone brings up Xbox clearly doing that then it becomes 'both do it', which is better than simply Xbox doing it. Spencer has done this sort of tactic against PlayStation on a number of things such as: diversity of games when Xbox has historically been the most vanilla platform genre wise. On crossplay when Xbox was who blocked it off for a long time.

16 minutes ago, majob said:

Microsoft buying Activision would actually give them the tools to do so because Call of Duty is by far one of the most popular games in the world and being able to monopolize that IP as a platform holder gives MS a massive advantage. That's why they constantly refused concessions asking them to sell the IP, they knew what they were doing

The best part of all of that was them lying that King was the reason they were doing the buyout. The CMA told them they could have the deal go through if they got just King. Microsoft rejected it.

19 minutes ago, Silocia said:

It doesnt matter what Xbox do I wont ever be going back to them.

I moved away because of their absolute disaster Xbox one reveal. Phil then spent 10 years crying about how Playstation didnt want to play with Xbox and constantly flaming the console wars while also stating its a silly notion and it shouldnt be a thing. They buy studios just to kill them when they dont instantly perform instead of investing and guiding studios and then possibly buying them out at a later date and now buy two massive studios while crying about how much of a victim they are WHILE then locking out Bethesda titles from Sony again after 10 years complaining Sony were doing the same thing. 

I know I wont get to play Starfield or possibly any other Bethesda title but I'd rather that be the case than give those scum bags any money.

Agreed. The extreme level of console warring they do is annoying, but worse than that is all the gaslighting they do as you say. 

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

I'm sorry...am I supposed to be surprised? 

I said this exact thing when Microsoft purchased Zenimax...it was painfully obvious, the Activision purchase only solidified that. You don't spend that kind of money on a studio just to play nice, which is also why it was so worrying about what PlayStation was losing in these purchases because you knew good and well we weren't going to be playing these games, no matter how much Phil Spencer was to use corporate jargon to make it seem like these games would come to PlayStation as well. But of course it started its own precedent with Sony buying up studios as well so they can stay on track. Sony knew what was going on. 

No of course not. Anyone not pretending otherwise knew that this was the goal all along. Up to this point however 'where is your evidence of this'. Now we have from Microsoft's own chicken lips that they're doing this deal (and obviously all their other ones, past and future) are about driving PlayStation out of business.

1 minute ago, majob said:

Honestly, the real question is does this news have ANY legal impact on the acquisition case?

Preliminary injunction I believe should allow it. The CAT case is murky to me. Normally no as new evidence can't be presented, but Microsoft made the case to allow them to present brief evidence. The CMA can then I believe present stuff themselves, but I believe it'd have to relate to what Microsoft is putting forward. Ultimately though, if the CAT does side with the CMA then the CMA can then just cite this as further evidence of why there needs to be a block.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, majob said:

It can definitely be used to strengthen the case against Microsoft. I can sit here all day talking about how I already knew this was their plan...but to have actual proof in writing is pretty damning, especially to being used as evidence as coercion for creating a monopoly. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, majob said:

Microsoft buying Activision would actually give them the tools to do so because Call of Duty is by far one of the most popular games in the world and being able to monopolize that IP as a platform holder gives MS a massive advantage. That's why they constantly refused concessions asking them to sell the IP, they knew what they were doing

That makes a lot of sense, but enough to kill PlayStation? I don’t think so. Too many great aspects about the PlayStation to put it in a position of failure. The day Xbox overtakes PlayStation is the same day Sony comes out guns blazing with new innovations.

I will say that Xbox is kind of already playing a unique hand with Bethesda exclusivity. It’s beyond tragic that we can’t play Starfield on release, for example. We might not be able to play it ever tbh. It’s within the rights of studios to get exclusivity deals with entertainment companies, but at the end of the day we’re the ones who suffer because of it. 

One thing’s for sure though…I’ll never switch to Xbox. I’ve had a 360 and One X, and to put it bluntly, they felt inferior to PlayStation in every way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

That makes a lot of sense, but enough to kill PlayStation? I don’t think so. Too many great aspects about the PlayStation to put it in a position of failure. The day Xbox overtakes PlayStation is the same day Sony comes out guns blazing with new innovations.

I will say that Xbox is kind of already playing a unique hand with Bethesda exclusivity. It’s beyond tragic that we can’t play Starfield on release, for example. We might not be able to play it ever tbh. It’s within the rights of studios to get exclusivity deals with entertainment companies, but at the end of the day we’re the ones who suffer because of it. 

One thing’s for sure though…I’ll never switch to Xbox. I’ve had a 360 and One X, and to put it bluntly, they felt inferior to PlayStation in every way.

I doubt it would kill them entirely, but it would weaken them. It would take more. And not going back to XBox either. Still, as much trouble as this acquisition has caused MS, I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the brakes for a short time. As for me, I don't really care enough about Activision stuff except maybe Spyro, but once there's a new Spyro, then we can talk. Just worried about the future repercussions.

Edited by MidnightDragon

52 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Quite honestly it's feasible. COD is a huge link in the playstation chain, the revenue they get from the sales and MTX are what help fund their own game development. MS taking that away not only removes that revenue but also pushes more consumers to their platform, people that primarily only play COD and they exist, and that's a massive blow to Sony. Being forced to innovate when your bread and butter is third-party software and not first party software like Nintendo wouldn't work out as well as people think.

21 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

And yet, look who came crawling back.

The entire Bethesda catalog back on PS Plus and the Activision games still on the PS Store.

Bitchbox.

Those are only grandfathered games, not any future Bethesda titles

Just now, LastMinuteSavior said:

Their loss.

Lets see how long shareholders will allow that business strategy to continue.

They won't care. MS can eat the financial loss with a smile on their face if it means more market share

23 minutes ago, majob said:

Quite honestly it's feasible. COD is a huge link in the playstation chain, the revenue they get from the sales and MTX are what help fund their own game development. MS taking that away not only removes that revenue but also pushes more consumers to their platform, people that primarily only play COD and they exist, and that's a massive blow to Sony. Being forced to innovate when your bread and butter is third-party software and not first party software like Nintendo wouldn't work out as well as people think.

Those are only grandfathered games, not any future Bethesda titles

Maybe, but if I had a dollar for every time someone predicted the demise of any of the big three, would be rich. Only time will tell.

Edited by MidnightDragon