With digital stores closing, the fight for physical gets serious

Pariah_Dark

I always buy physical whenever possible. I like the numerous benefits that come from having a physical copy, which by the way, in most cases are not just "keys" with nothing on the disc. Most games are in fact completely playable straight from the disc, even without patches. 

I also like watching my collection grow over time. Just looking at all of the different games from the different generations, all of the artwork etc. just puts a smile on my face. I also love seeing other people's collections. Physical will always be unbeatable as far as I'm concerned. There are basically no drawbacks vs digital, which has many. That isn't to say that digital doesn't also have some benefits though, and I've never been one to preach against going digital if that is what best suits you personally. At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you. If going digital is cheaper or more convenient for you then more power to you, but for me I try to avoid it whenever I can. 

As for fighting against this all-digital future, I'm afraid the future is already set, and has been from the moment Sony and Microsoft introduced their platform stores during the seventh gen. The PC market was lost even long before that. The introduction of all-digital consoles is a further step to push people away from physical, and now we also have some AAA titles not launching with physical copies at all. Something like 70%+ of all console games sold are digital and that number only grows by the year. I'm afraid there is no fight to be had, because it's already over. We lost. 

Will physical die out completely once the inevitable occurs? Probably not. There is too much money to be made from limited print companies, so even if the publishers don't want to do physical someone else will step in to fill the void. This itself causes many issues so it's far from ideal, but it's better than nothing. Will the all-digital landscape be a nightmare scenario of overpriced games with prices rising all the time? I'm not so sure either. You will of course be at the mercy of Microsoft and Sony within their walled gardens, but aren't most of us already? I don't necessarily buy the idea that prices will raise so substantially just because people will have no other option with physical dead, because there are other options. People will just stop buying new games altogether or move to PC. Speaking of which, you don't really see PC users getting shafted too often despite the fact that almost all PC gamers have been all-digital for ages now. Granted, it isn't a perfect comparison for a number of reasons but still, it shows that going the all-digital route doesn't automatically spell doom. 

Generally speaking, I don't think much of anything will change once physical dies out. It will be bad for people like me, but I also don't think it will be worse for the people who buy digital either. It will just be this new reality that we'll all get used to pretty quickly :dunno:

2 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I can tell a lot if not most in here never used PlayStation home and spent money cause that alone made the people who used it learn that digital goods are not owned by the person who spent money on it they are owned by the seller the moment you use it you sign a contract that says you agree that if at any time the seller decides to revoke access your fine with that and cannot get a refund.

You effectively rent a digital item you can lose it and you just wasted money you will not get back they can block your access and you won't gave it you screw up and they get mad bye bye your digital items. 

With physical items u own it you lose access to your player no probs get a new one pop in that discord your golden, you make the seller mad so what u have a physical copy PlayStation kills your account make a new one pop in that discord ur good

Digital only is a trick to get your money and you sign away that money and they can just cut bait and run and you don't have a leg to stand on

Hopefully there aren't too many people naive enough to not agree with this.

However, I think most people just don't care.  For 99% of gamers, not counting the unlucky and probably deserving few that somehow get their accounts taken away, their digital games will continue to be readily available for probably another 10-20 years or more.  For a lot of these people, they'll probably never go back to a game they already finished anyways... and the ones that do probably aren't planning 25 years ahead.

Nor do they need to in all honesty.  There are things in life you want to plan ahead for as far as you can, video games probably don't need to be too high on the list.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Games just aren't built 'complete' anymore, so the disc doesn't matter. They will patch and add content that is all digital anyway...and everything is installed as if it was digital. The disc is just a hassle to confirm purchase at that point. Only benefit I see is playing a game without a patch for whatever reason...or when you wanna play on a non-primary unit. 

• Like 1

I have a more balanced approach when it comes to digital and physical games. I've been collecting physical for years but I had to slow down since I don't have a lot of space at home.

If it's a game I like, a series that I love, or a remastered collection, I'm definitely getting it physical. Nintendo games (especially Pokemon) are better had physically since it's never guaranteed if Nintendo does BC and they're happy with store shutdowns. Also, their games are expensive both digitally and physically.

That said, there are benefits to digital since you can find games super cheap on sales and it's convienient. If I'm interested in a game that I'm on the fence on but have no interest in getting it physical, I'll just get it digitally.

• Like 3

Digital is very cheap nowadays, and the whishlist option where PSN tells you that a game is in a sale, make tempting buying digital games, many still use physical games as trade/sell currency.

The concept of design like gran turismo 7 or diablo 4 where they are live/always online games is the real problem, because even if you buy it digital or physical, when some kind of license, or trademark makes a problem, it can be a choice that they rather close servers than paying the license, thus kill the entire game, and there is no other choice or option.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 12:01 PM, Alos88 said:

Steam is the only digital storefront I trust to stay up in perpetuity, and I try to go physical when I can.

I trust not only Steam, but also GOG (CDProjekt Red's store). Should a game be released on both Steam and GOG, I'll opt for the No DRM GOG release.

We'll see how Microsoft is towards their users. Hopefully they can be pushed to relent by an Xbox user backlash. If Jim Ryan listened and called off the PS3/PSP/Vita store closure, there's some hope. As for Nintendo closing certain eShop stores (3DS and Wii U), I didn't expect any better from them. It's clear they DGAF. And when 2033 rolls around, I bet the Switch store will get the axe.

At least some PSP games are now available on PSN Store, though unfortunately some are PS+Premium exclusive. I was glad to see PSP Ridge Racer 2 up for download. This is one of the best RR games, which sadly never made it outside Japan or Europe as a PSP release. It's far better than the Vita version. No trophies, but oh well. If Ridge Racer 7 somehow makes it into PSN Classics, I'll buy it. I'd like to see RR7 as an all DLC included release, even if it's $25.

One big advantage of physical is that it makes importing possible. M2's Aleste collection has been out for ages, but in Japan only. At least M2 has been good about physical releases (and thanks again to Sony for making region free consoles from PS3 onward). Well, sadly region free is for disc only. For a digital only game, you better pray someone like NISA localises it. I wish the PSN store would be RF and allow you to buy other regions' games, even if you had to read a disclaimer before purchase.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The real issue, for me, with digital distribution and digital goods isn't that storefronts may at some point close, but how much fewer rights buyers of digital goods have. Refund regulations for physical goods don't apply to digital goods, we can't trade our "licenses" (increasingly, digital goods are essentially defined as subscriptions/rentals in the fine print of user agreements, so not even licenses), and we can't sell them. In essence, we own nothing, and access can be revoked at any time for any reason. There are other software fields were licenses are often trade-able (for a processing fee), but it's completely unheard of in the gaming and entertainment world.

I'd not be surprised if law-makers and regulators eventually came around and started to address this issue (some EU courts tried it some years ago and made recommendations to law-makers, but that hasn't led to anything yet), but I think by the time that happens the large publishers will already have zoomed in on game-streaming. Gamers generally don't like this currently, but there was a time when digital distribution of games seemed unfathomable and completely undesirable to gamers too and less than two decades later it is now the status quo (and it took much less time than that in the PC gaming space). Physical game sales in Europe dropped to 17% of all game sales in 2022, down from 19% in 2021 (source), and they'll probably be even lower this year.

I feel the "fight for physical" is already lost. The "fight for digital rights" is what everyone's attention and effort should go into, but there doesn't seem any widespread interest in this, either.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2023 at 7:22 AM, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

I made the switch to digital a long time ago but with the world going to shit and the exchange rate of the pound going through the roof (I'm English and live in Sweden) it makes it a lot cheaper to buy physical again on newer games. I learnt this the hard way when buying digital FFXVI. Idk why Sony still thinks it's impossible to move to a different country but yea. 

I'm in the same boat, but live in Norway. I haven't been able to buy any digital games lately because of the exchange rate. I only buy digital games when they are marked off at a decent price, otherwise I go for physical.

• Like 1

I also buy physical media, and i also prefer it over digital. When there is a great sale, then yes, digital. But here in Europe, the prices in the PSN store are extremly inflated... And physical is always cheaper to get the newer games. Mostly used copies i buy in mint condicions. 

But like Alan Wake 2 and Baldurs Gate 3, i will not buy and will wait for a sale down the line. I know physical is dying, but you need to consider that Hacking, losing, banned accounts, you lose everything... With the physical media, you can always play the games on another account. Of course, you can break the discs or scratch them, but still... I will always be more secure with the discs/cartriges on my shelfs. I mostly buy my favorite games or games i am "hyped" to play physical. And ALWAYS on sale for digital with some indies and such. 

• Like 1

I much prefer getting physical games whenever i can. As with digital one ban or network problem is all it takes and they are unplayable/gone. Meanwhile physical will still be playable.

Sure physical has it shares of problems aswell. I guess i'm just kinda "old fashioned" but i like going to a store and buy my game there.

Neither physical nor digital should cease to exist. Both can coexist.

• Like 1

I went all digital a long time ago, and haven’t looked back.

Lots of sales, so decent prices, no disc rot or scratches to worry about, no shelf space taken up with a bunch of useless plastic and metal…

…and no association with the “used games” market, siphoning money out of the game-making industry to fund parasitic leech-companies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/16/2023 at 7:11 PM, LadyGallethX3 said:

Maybe digital is still "new" but im still shock all this time, there has not been a push or law to make digital items must be resellable.

In 2012, the European Court of Justice ruled that selling "used" licenses for digital software is legal, even online (source). Shortly after, Steam renamed their "User Agreement" to "Subscriber Agreement", which now defines Steam purchases as "subscriptions to content". A subscription is not a license. Previously, Steam's "User Agreement" had referred to licenses. Sony, however, did not make that change. The "PlayStation Network Terms of Service" (UK version) still says: "You buy a personal licence to use Products for private use. Your licence to use games is not transferrable unless your local applicable laws say it must be."

However, nothing meaningful happened in the past 11 years since the court ruling. In theory, we should be able to legally re-sell our used licenses for digital PlayStation games, but no relevant laws have actually been enacted, so publishers and vendors are not required to provide a method of transferring used game licenses. Neither politicians nor, really, gamers seem interested in changing this situation. Which, to me, is peculiar, because if people were suddenly no longer allowed to sell or give away their used paper books, consoles, clothes, etc, there'd be an outcry. A large portion of consumers however do not seem to consider digital goods to be "real" or to have "real value". Considering that we now pay at least €80 for first party games (and many third party games too) and can't even refund them if they are incomplete or "defect" (not working as expected), it's even more puzzling to me that the gaming community is just accepting that.

I think part of the problem is that we, as gamers (and as digital goods consumers) don't really have any alternatives other than completely quitting the hobby, and who really is willing to do that? We're on the hook and unwilling to make uncomfortable sacrifices. People will do mental gymnastics like saying "Oh, but I get 100 hours out of that game, so I only pay 80 cents per hour, and that is fine!". But I feel that misses the point. Even after I get 5000 or 10,000 hours out of my banjo or my guitar, I can still sell them, no matter what I paid for them or how much enjoyment they gave me. Likewise, if I buy a hardcover book, which I suppose is more like a game than a guitar, and finish it after 10 or 20 hours, I can also sell it. Unless it's an e-book of course, because then somehow I can't resell it, even though it's the exact same content.

Anyway, nothing will change unless there is more pressure on politicians and/or more court cases. Presumably, I imagine someone could take that EU court ruling from 2012 and take Sony to court for not providing a way to transfer product licenses. But we don't have class action suits in Europe, so this is actually hard to pull off and someone would have to finance it. And again, there is no traction, so nothing will change in the foreseeable future. Young people today grow up in a world where digital goods simply can't be sold, and for them that is and will be perfectly normal. The future is probably game streaming, because that is what the industry seemingly wants. It only has benefits for them: much larger potential costumer base if you only need a TV and some cheap gadget, 100% control, predictable revenue, it solves piracy and in the long term emulation also. Thankfully, the resistance to game streaming will probably be more noticeable and harder to overcome.

Edited by mrmivo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mrmivo said:

However, nothing meaningful happened in the past 11 years since the court ruling. In theory, we should be able to legally re-sell our used licenses for digital PlayStation games, but no relevant laws have actually been enacted, so publishers and vendors are not required to provide a method of transferring used game licenses. Neither politicians nor, really, gamers seem interested in changing this situation. Which, to me, is peculiar, because if people were suddenly no longer allowed to sell or give away their used paper books, consoles, clothes, etc, there'd be an outcry. A large portion of consumers however do not seem to consider digital goods to be "real" or to have "real value". Considering that we now pay at least €80 for first party games (and many third party games too) and can't even refund them if they are incomplete or "defect" (not working as expected), it's even more puzzling to me that the gaming community is just accepting that.

Thing is, it's legal to sell used games, BUT there is no requirement on platform owners to actively make it possible, so why should they?

There's no way these companies ever allow digital resale, it'd aggressively undermine their own storefronts.

The only way that changes is if they become legally required to, which wouldn't really make sense because semantics aside they aren't doing anything particularly unethical at the moment... we pay for a service (playing the game), they provide said service.

Or if like, the perpetual third place Microsoft gets desperate enough that they actually incorporate something harmful to themselves in hopes that the good PR brings enough people into the ecosystem to make up the difference money-wise somewhere else (I believe this is how Game Pass was born).

Edited by Dreakon13

On 8/24/2023 at 10:21 PM, Zephrese said:

9 times out of 10 I buy games (or any media, for that matter) physical, and even when I do get a game digitally I usually try to get a physical copy later if one is available and I like the game enough to justify double dipping on it. If and when gaming goes all digital, that'll probably be the end of the road for me and I'll just focus on playing older games as well as other hobbies. Not going to give greedy corporations more money once they've decided to take the option away from me entirely in favor of having more control over what I spend my money on and what I can do with it afterwards.

This is pretty much my stance as well.  I'll buy physical whenever possible, which includes buying copies of games that were free on PS+ that I liked enough to justify a purchase.  This way, I can give myself as much control as possible over what I play, without being at Sony's mercy on that front.  I also have no interest in an all-digital future, and when that day inevitably comes, I'll just say "well, it was a good run" and stick with my already existing games and consoles, allowing me to work on actually clearing the backlog without adding more games to it, as well as giving more time to other non-gaming hobbies.

• Like 1

These crazy spiraling threads could all be layed to rest if Nintendo, Microsoft and SONY do the following: 

• Announce backwards compatibility teams that would work on the hardware and software to emulate lagacy consoles.  If the current flagship isn't strong enough to run emulation then build custom hardware and announce it as a streaming feature that would later come to future iterations of the flagship.  
  • Allow third-party disc drives to be attached to the console. Not to actually run anything off-disc, but to validate download and authenticate a custom version of the software. Authentication of custom versions of games via disc has been done since the XBOX ONE. 
  • Announce a countdown of, say, 20 years, before allowing a purchase to be downloaded as an executable file onto a different device (effectively removing DRM after a very long period of time). 

As for montezation, companies should charge all who weren't on the bandwagon a premium for lagacy content, and further justify themselves by offering enhanced frame-rates and resolutions as well as trophy support and social features. 

Players who have their physical discs/cartridges from previous generations should be able to download and play the custom version of the software without any enhancements as long as a valid disc is being authenticated in the drive. To upgrade, companies should charge said lagacy players at a steep discount only for the enhancements. 

The most effective way to solve all of this is to appeal in mass to legislators. Legislators can forbid re-releases , set technical and budgetary standards that would allow the release of remakes and outlaw stackable trophy lists. 

All said steps would lead to platforms that are more competitive and produce better products. 

The Digital v. Physical debate is something the companies want to keep customers busy with.  When consumers are torn between two oppositions, it prevents a large-sized group from forming and appraoching governing bodies that are readily available. 

What I offer isn't only a solution that would lead to better products, but would satisfy all consumer types whilst allowing companies to make revenue.

Edited by Seamndel

Went full Digital around the final year of PS4, it's something I'm used to from Steam. I kinda liked having a physical collection at one pointz but I resell/trade in my games, so once the collection vanity wore off there was no point. Sales are more frequent w/ digital, and I don't have to wait for preorder deliveries.

To each their own though, whatever makes people happy.

I love supporting physical, but with my backlog being so insane it is totally viable to buy games digitally at steep steep discounts down the road. 

Especially when juggling consoles, I tend to buy a lot of my son's switch games physically because Nintendo does not do sales on AAA games, and if they do it is like $5.