What Games Have The Best Boss Battles?

Kazeh54

Boss Battles have always been a great aspect to gaming and in some cases its what holds a game together.
We all have our favourites and for several reasons.

So what games have you had the best Boss encounters?

My personal favourite boss encounters in games have been in:

Kingdom Hearts 2

- I loved the Organisation XIII battles. The game was brilliant and I loved almost every minute of it, but I was always looking forward to the next Organisation battle.

Devil May Cry 3

- Virgil and Jester

Asura's Wrath

- Pretty much every boss battle was great. The game was just one big interactive anime...basically.

What about you guys?

• Like 2

I agree on Kingdom Hearts 2. Other than that:

• Mass Effect 3: fighting the Reaper on Rannoch
  • Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2: Sasuke vs Itachi and Naruto vs Pain
  • Bayonetta: fights against Fortitudo, Temperance, Iustitia, Sapienta and Jubileus
  • Demon's Souls: every boss fight is epic
  • Dragon's Dogma: Grigori fight
  • Darksiders: War + loyal horse vs Destroyer
  • Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time: the final boss fight
  • Vanquish: final bossfight against both Bogeys
  • God of War Ascension: fight against Hecatonchires' infected head
Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

I think for me; my favourite boss fight was "The Final Fight" in Dragon's Dogma, this will include spoilers, if you do not wish to read then please ignore this post. So as I was saying, the dragon fight from Dragon's Dogma has been my first boss fight that had be glued to the tv with excitement and fear, it's also the first boss where I felt like I took a larger role - dodging its fire, running to the other side of the bridge while it's crumbling and climbing its back avoiding harpies the same time. It's not the most challenging of bosses (yeah Ninja Gaiden I'm talking about you) but it was the most entertaining for me.

I also liked the mini bosses throughout the game - Gryffins, Cyclops, Stone/Metal Golem etc.

post-63484-0-79899500-1397602681_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

mgs3logo.png

The bosses in this game are mind blowing even to this day

-The entirety of the Cobra Unit especially The End

-The Boss!

B0019SY1D4_logo.jpg

Pretty Underrated imo. A lot of people missed out on this one since it's on Wii, but man...the bosses in this game are absolutely amazing.

-Ogres, robots, Aliens, Warewolves, A huge Frankenstein, Samurai's. 

Other Bosses I can think of:

- Mr Freeze - Batman Arkham City

-The Big Cheese - Resident Evil 4

-Dark Tooth - Twisted Metal 2

-Kefka - Final Fantasy 6

-Ganon - The Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past

-Bowser - Super Mario 64

-Mother Brain - Super Metroid

-Giygas - Earthbound

-Cronos - God Of War III

There are probably a lot more that I forgot.

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 4

As much as I & many hated him, "The Forgotten One" in Castelvania Lords Of Shadow's Resurrection DLC was a pretty cool Boss Battle. It had you fighting him in a realistic fashion, when he is at full power hide from him; until he reaches the gate where he extracts and uses a huge portion of his power to open it(now you get to fight him without him using his Overkill move). When you fight him, he is fast while constantly attacking the whole time, making you have to memorize a lot of his attack patterns creating a cool battle to see(1 of the few huge bosses that can move quite fast for his size while rarely wasting his attacks). You also have to hit specific weak spots that later get exposed from pretty cool Button input cinematics. Honestly as much as I hate the guy I have to respect that he's a cool boss fight to watch, but a pain in the ass to play. The Paladin Trial made this battle the real enemy IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YstYyIeHKI

• Like 2

Metal Gear Rising's fights were awesome, with an epic soundtrack to go with them.

Agreed. The music only made them more awesome

As much as I & many hated him, "The Forgotten One" in Castelvania Lords Of Shadow's Resurrection DLC was a pretty cool Boss Battle. It had you fighting him in a realistic fashion, when he is at full power hide from him; until he reaches the gate where he extracts and uses a huge portion of his power to open it(now you get to fight him without him using his Overkill move). When you fight him, he is fast while constantly attacking the whole time, making you have to memorize a lot of his attack patterns creating a cool battle to see(1 of the few huge bosses that can move quite fast for his size while rarely wasting his attacks). You also have to hit specific weak spots that later get exposed from pretty cool Button input cinematics. Honestly as much as I hate the guy I have to respect that he's a cool boss fight to watch, but a pain in the ass to play. The Paladin Trial made this battle the real enemy

I remember this taking me ages on Xbox360. I get to do it all over again for PS3 lol

Edited by Kazeh54

Shadow of Colossus - all 16 colossus!

^they are so freaking epic!

And on the 11th reply, someone finally mentions Shadow of the Colossus. Thank you Beyondthegrave07. That's the first game that entered my mind upon seeing the title of this thread.

I'll also mention the early Sonic games as having some pretty fun bosses.

• Like 2

Metal Gear EXELCUS from Metal Gear Rising along with senator Armstrong was awesome although beating him on Revengeance difficulty without getting hit was kinda of a pain xD
The Legend Of Zelda (leaving out skyward sword) has some awesome bosses too and they don't even require a lot of skill :P

• Like 1

I haven't played a lot of games will memorable hard as nails bosses (although I have started Demon Souls so first time for everything)

Of the top of my head there are a few that were both hard yet enjoyable....

The Legendary Ships of Assassin's Creed IV (so far i've taken out 3 of them)

In Final Fantasy XIII you had Barthandelus (That cocky bastard) the Long Guis I dread taking on and while the tonberries weren't really bosses...it was fun fighting them..

Jaguar Javier, Flame Face, X'tabay and of course Calaca on hard difficulty were a great challenge on Hard mode in Guacamelee....

When I ran out of ammo fighting the Rhino in Metro: Last Light so I had to stab it to death...

George Romero from Call of the Dead in Black Ops ._.

Kessler from Infamous (Him and his dodgy trench-coat)

Almost every boss from Boderlands and Boderlands 2 (well apart from the squid thing at the end of the first one) were so amusing!

Some really great boss battles are in Final Fantasy X

Where you fight your own aeons on at the very end of the game, They were Yuna's companions that she relied on through her entire journey. and in the end, she had to destroy them to save the world. Those fights were really sad and touching at the same time.

For me, the truly great boss battles are the ones that:

• Make you constantly feel on your toes and like you need to use all/most of your available items in a creative way to take them down (e.g. Mr Freeze in B:AC)
  • Are so epic that you can't help but love them (e.g. ME3 - fighting the Reaper on Rannoch)
  • Are difficult, but rewarding once you finally beat them (e.g. most of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls bosses)
  • Are just plain awesome (METAL GEAR SOLID FTW!!!)

I would have to say that some of my favourites are from MGS3; particularly The End was an incredible boss that truly felt like an epic sniper battle. The final battle against (semi-spoilers) The Boss was also just so meaningful that you can't help but love it.

Anything from Metal Gear or Shadow of the Colossus. Ninja Gaiden had some pretty badass boss battle too. 

Do the Elite 4, Gym Leaders and rival battles from the Pokemon games count as boss battles? If so, I'll include those as well.

Parker