What Games Have The Best Boss Battles?

Kazeh54

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In no particular order...

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. This will probably be a super unpopular opinion, but it's a fun game. The lightsaber duels are the highlight of the game. 

Bloodborne

Ghost of Tsushima: The duels and combat are on point

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Marvel's Spider-Man

Paper Mario & Paper Mario TTYD: Iconic turn-based bosses

Persona 5 Royal & Persona 5 Strikers

Super Smash Bros. (all of them)

Luigi's Mansion: The first game and an honorable mention for the third. The bosses in the second game are pretty mid by comparison (to me).

Fire Emblem Awakening & Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Spider-Man 2

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2

Super Mario Odyssey 

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dark Souls 3, Dancer of the Boreal Valley. The whole fight looks like a dance on her part, it's mesmerizing to watch and it makes the boss something more than just an oversized enemy to learn and defeat. Her animations combined with the music and ambience makes it feel like art to me. 

I don't watch gameplays, let's plays, streams, but this is the one thing gameplay related that I look up and watch on YouTube from time to time. 

There are multiple bosses in From Software games that were incredibly well designed but the Dancer is on another level, at least presentation wise. 

• 5 weeks later...

I don't remember having to much difficulty with it, but Brahman in Digital Devil Saga 2 was weirdly cool to me (in terms of design). I could probably harp on all day about MegaTen bosses though.

The bosses in Souls games are always very memorable as well, with some highlights of mine being the Guardian Ape in Sekiro, Vicar Amelia in Bloodborne and Seath the Scaleless in Dark Souls 1.

Conversely, bosses in Level 5 games are also notable in my mind because they tend to be some of the most annoying, since they often have a ridiculous number of phases/forms like the 11 or so phases the final boss in Rogue Galaxy had. Actually made me rage quit the game for over 2 years because I died on the final phase after spending like an hour on it and had to redo it all... and I was already losing my patience with the game in the last few hours that that was the final straw. When I eventually did go back and beat it, the ending wasn't even worth it anyway. Had a similar thing happen in Ni No Kuni.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Wo Long- Lu Bu. You won't get him on the first try. It may take you several. But once you win... it's definitely a Glorious Victory.

Ninja Gaiden II -  Elizebet, Volf

Nioh 2- Yatsu no Kami (give his soul core attack a try after you beat him, you might like it), Ryomen Sukuna (a giant half fire/half ice yokai)

Trails of Cold Steel II - Testa-Rossa

R-Type Final - The Giant Warship. This one feels more epic than RTF2's, actually. You're flying over a city and parts you shoot off the mothership will plummet into the street below. Nice BGM, and it blows up good when you beat it (something RTF2 forgot) Unfortunately it does suffer from a little slowdown.

Returnal - Hyperion

Sekiro - Owl in Hirata Estate

Yakuza 0 - Kiryu and Majima's final bosses

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Xemnas

Persona 3 - Nyx

Metal Gear Rising - Armstrong

God of War 2018 - Baldur

FFVIII - Ultimecia

• Like 1

Final Fantasy XIV - every Trial fight is fantastic and with each new expansion they get better and better, but the best fight in the whole game has to be the fight in Endwalker

Spoiler

at the end against Zenos, after defeating Endsinger Aria

that fight is insane!
Kingdom Hearts 2 - every fight against the Organization is epic,

Spoiler

especially the fight against Roxas

Kingdom Hearts 3 - last boss fight for sure, against

Spoiler

Ansem, Xemnas and young Xehanort; also, Dark Aqua!

Nioh DLC Bloodsheds End - the fight agains Kyuubi was great
Monster Hunter Iceborne - all of the dragon elder fights are great, but Fatalis is on another level!

Let it Die - the Bossfight on floor 40 is great, with fantastic music on top
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - the whole fight against the big red dragon is simply epic
Dark Souls - fighting Sif for the first time is intimidating af
Dark Souls 3 - the Abyss Watchers always impressed me, and knowing the story about them, together with the music makes the fight in some way tragic

Edited by PraiseTheFluppi

In 2D games:
Contra 3 The Alien Wars (SNES) - final boss in hard mode, where it has an additional form that you didn't expect!!
Golden Sun (GBA) - rematch vs. Saturos and Menardi (you will be looking forward to this rematch during the entire game, and when you finally get it, it delivers 100%)
Kirby's Adventure (NES) - Vs. nightmare airborne (no other "easy" final boss has EVER been this epic; it is impressive that this was an N.E.S. boss in an N.E.S. game)
Mega Man V (gameboy version) - Sunstar (best boss battle in the original gameboy!)
Mega Man X4 - Sigma's 2nd and 3rd forms (best Sigma in the series!)
Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Lavos (2nd form and final form, when it changes timelines on the background)
2d Castlevania games - battles vs. other characters, vs. grim reaper, vs. Dracula

In 3D games:
Kingdom Hearts 2 - All three phases of the final battle were spectacular! It's a must-play for fans of "over-the-top" final bosses. The 1000 heartless battle and the Organization XIII bosses at the "castle that never was" were awesome too.
Final Fantasy X - The last battle at Zannarkand and the final bosses were great.
3D Zelda series - last bosses
Chrono Cross - vs. dragon god

In VR games:
#1- Unearthing Mars 2 - Black Sword
#2- Astro Bot Rescue Mission - The alien (final boss)

#3- Shadow Legend - Lord Adaroth
#4- Until You Fall - The aether horror (final boss)
#5- Vader Immortal - vs. Vader

#6- Pistol Whip - 2089 campaign, the airship boss
#7- Until Dawn Rush of Blood - The underground elevator attack in the dark by the super fast enemy (literally, the stuff of nightmares---and more annoying than fun, but still, a very impressive idea for a vr boss battle)

Edited by ValkerianCreator

One that doesn’t get a lot of mentions, but had some great boss fights (as well as being ace in other ways!) is Dandara.

L0651bc.png

B5-FF22-D1-6538-48-BD-8-DB4-022972-AF325

but I'll also mention these ones which have great bosses:

L703ff1.png

Cuphead

L5b345b.png

Dead Cells

L158463.png

Griftlands

L744125.png

Shatter (seriously!)

Lb2caac.png