sony has allegedly been hacked

fenrir54565

A ransomware group by the name of Ransomed.vc claims to have compromised "all Sony systems", as reported by Cyber Security Connect. At the time of writing, the claims have yet to be verified, but the site notes the group has "racked up an impressive amount of victims" in a short span of time.

Ransomed.vc is aiming to sell the data: "We have successfully compromissed [sic] all of sony systems," it says. "We wont ransom them! we will sell the data. due to sony not wanting to pay. DATA IS FOR SALE." Apparently, the group backs up its claims with some "proof-of-hack data", which includes screenshots of an internal log-in page, PowerPoint presentation, Java files, and a file tree, which apparently consists of fewer than 6,000 files. Cyber Security Connect notes this seems low for "all Sony systems".

The group has not listed a price but has provided contact information, and has issued a "post date" of 28th September 2023. Cyber Security Connect presumes this is when Ransomed.vc will share the entire leak wholesale if a buyer isn't found beforehand.

Unusually, Ransomed.vc considers itself not just a ransomware group, but a "ransomware-as-a-service" organisation. It claims to be a "secure solution for addressing data security vulnerabilities within companies", and operating "in strict compliance with GDPR and Data Privacy Laws". Its website states: "In cases where payment is not received, we are obligated to report a Data Privacy Law violation to the GDPR agency!"

Sony has yet to comment on the matter. Again, the hack has yet to be properly verified, but we'll follow this story if and when developments arise.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/09/sony-has-allegedly-suffered-a-huge-hack-by-ransomware-group

Edited by fenrir54565
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

This doesn't sound like they got into the larger areas like PSN if it's only 6k files.

That's what I was thinking. Seems like small fry compared to what was leaked about MS last week. Not like I have anything significant on PSN. I wrote my address as "my house", FFS! 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Manilu-08 said:

Fantastic! I had just spent a month and a half changing all my passwords from the same to Fyj643_73*e6h and to put a different email for each type of account 

Wtf...that's my password, too. We are password bros. Don't tell me your email also begins with: gooseareevil@.

We may have to hang out.

I haven't used my credit/ bank card on my PSN since I found out Costco periodically sells $100 of PSN credit for $80. Think I still have $25 on there from the last time. 

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Can't wait to see what trashy games Sony gives away for free this time...

I can't wait to see how many people take the cash settlement option without reading the fine print saying taking that option will also close your account.

• Like 2

This is pretty concerning if true. I really hope this doesn't cause an extended PlayStation Network outage like in 2011, and that compromised user data is kept to a minimum. I will say that 6,000 files seems pretty small for such a large company as Sony, but I have changed the password to my PSN account just in case and I recommend everyone else also does so ASAP.

• Like 2

We will see if this claim turns out being the truth or a lie in the next days I guess. But why should they lie about it? To scare Sony? The recent new price politics for ps+ surely made a lot of people angry (including myself). So there is the motivation for a ransomhack. My 2FA is active for years now but change my password every now and then, and now again. Just in case. You know... you never know.

1 hour ago, VigilantCrow said:

Sounds more like a honeypot did its job.

Hopefully. But you never know. And would you really put your trust in Sony that the have build up some honeypots and learned from the past? I would not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xillynoc said:

Didn't they give away inFAMOUS 2 and Littlebigplanet last time? Those were pretty good

Yes, at first. There was a follow up from a suit brought against them that was settled a few years later. The choice was between Inivizimals (PS3 & Vita versions) and some cash (which included fine print about also closing your account).

3 hours ago, Helyx said:

Can't wait to see what trashy games Sony gives away for free this time...

But Wasnt the last major hack just like 2 or 3 days of free ps+ because they shut down the servers

2 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

The free games were also from hacks but from ages and ages ago

2 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

Edit: only i can quote myself when trying to edit my post, hence the weird tag lines lol

Edited by Property_Damage