Trophy Hunting is not fun anymore!

TheMentor27

• 2 weeks later...

I just think trophy hunting is an OCD impulse but I'm ok with that because I admit it. The fact is if trophies/achievements didn't exist people would just play games for fun. You know, like we used to do on our PS1s and PS2s and xboxes. It's a hobby than can easily turn into an obsession like any addiction, right?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ElektrickRage said:

I just think trophy hunting is an OCD impulse but I'm ok with that because I admit it. The fact is if trophies/achievements didn't exist people would just play games for fun. You know, like we used to do on our PS1s and PS2s and xboxes. It's a hobby than can easily turn into an obsession like any addiction, right?

i loved 100% games back then as i love getting the platinum now. it is exactly the same thing with a profound social aspect which i find great. it adds extra value to your games and a deep sense of accomplishment sometimes. i don't understand how some people find anything bad about the trophy system, it's playstation's greatest service

On 12/8/2023 at 7:38 PM, colia100 said:

With all due respect, what kills me the most, is you come here to bitch about it, but after looking at your profile just now, you're still very much at it.

Waste of people's time and forum space imho, guess it's just some needy validation seeking...

I'm just sharing an opinion! That's why the forums exist. The point of the site is to talk about trophies and the experience you get from them. And then nobody can quit an addiction in a month. I' m not seeking any validation, that's for sure, just shared my thoughts with the community. And yes i was trying to max out the psn level and get closer to 1200 platinums to put Spiderman 2 as a milestone. Now i'm focusing on games i actually want to play, maybe i ll replay some of the games i like, maybe i'll return after 5 months, who knows? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheMentor27 said:

And then nobody can quit an addiction in a month.

I can quit anytime I want. Ignoring the gross generalisation, speaking as if you are doomed due to a timeframe isn't going to help you. It's about breaking the cycle, not excusing it.

19 minutes ago, TheMentor27 said:

And yes i was trying to max out the psn level and get closer to 1200 platinums to put Spiderman 2 as a milestone.

That's fine, but why did you need to use shovelware to do that? Why did you need to rush to your objective? You said yourself you hate that way of trophy hunting so again this just screams excuses. Breaking an addiction is difficult and requires so much effort, you can't let yourself make excuses for it or you'll never be free of it.

24 minutes ago, TheMentor27 said:

Now i'm focusing on games i actually want to play, maybe i ll replay some of the games i like, maybe i'll return after 5 months, who knows? 

Wish I could believe this but I haven't seen anything to suggest you won't just make another excuse, but I really hope I'm wrong, after all I don't really know you as a person, so I do hope you succeed.

Just know slipping up isn't the end. If you truly mean to quit then fight it, don't let yourself excuse it, and work day by day to get through it. Addiction never really goes away, but it gets a bit easier day by day once you're fighting it. Good luck.

• Like 1

I went through this phase over the summer. lots of shovel ware and cheap visual novels or basic puzzle games cuz the trophy popping was a nice little endorphin rush.

BUT, I realized scrolling through my list to find certain games was a headache and seeing the list with stupid game names and people noticing it too, i went back and hid a ton of them from profiles except for ones i didn't mind being on my list or took a touch more effort than clicking one button. Luckily it only lasted like 2 months or so

• Like 1

I think it's fun if you do it for the right reasons man. I remember back when I started my hunting. Playing something like My Name Is Mayo and tapping 'X' 10'000 times or whatever it is. Looking back that is kinda lame 😂 

But now the only system I have is my Vita and going through and playing some actual good games like Ratchet and Clank and Batman it feels nice. Are there games that I will never platinum? Absolutely but I find it nice to actually challenge myself and get all that I can out of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 9:42 AM, SWWDevereux said:

Playing primarily for trophies will always cause burnout because it isn't FUN.

Play games you want to play and get the trophies on the way. At the end of the day, trophies don't mean anything at all and should be an extension of your game-enjoying experience.

I play mostly long RPGs which take a long time to plat because these are my favourite genre of games. I may only have 250 plats compared to others with 1000+ and I'm fine with that.

that is right i have 22 platinum trophies my favourite genre is rpg i recently completed south park the stick of truth i enjoy trophies compared to other gamers they have more trophies and platinum trophies then me but i am fine on how i play and enjoy gaming i dont play games that i dont like i enjoy the 2 genres i play fighting and rpg 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, Nauticus87 said:

That's fine, but why did you need to use shovelware to do that? Why did you need to rush to your objective? You said yourself you hate that way of trophy hunting so again this just screams excuses. Breaking an addiction is difficult and requires so much effort, you can't let yourself make excuses for it or you'll never be free of it.

Sadly addictions work that way; I've seen my father put plenty of excuses throughout his life to not stop smoking, and I'm so glad that he's doing it now.

For example, I would have played Spider-Man if I was excited to try it, and leave 1-2 trophies to earn then whenever I reached that number of platinums. Or even just wait until naturally reach that number and play it.

Excuses are a natural part of an addiction, the best part is to recognize it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. For about a month now I m playing games that I enjoy without thinking that I have to play a lot of shovelware just for a milestone. So I think I have it under control. Honestly I think that I will continue this way, as it doesn't stress me anymore. Maybe some crossbuy autopops in periods that I have nothing to play. I will no longer stop playing a game I like, so I can keep it for a milestone. 

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, TheMentor27 said:

Just an update. For about a month now I m playing games that I enjoy without thinking that I have to play a lot of shovelware just for a milestone. So I think I have it under control. Honestly I think that I will continue this way, as it doesn't stress me anymore. Maybe some crossbuy autopops in periods that I have nothing to play. I will no longer stop playing a game I like, so I can keep it for a milestone. 

Well done, that's really great to hear. Keep on playing and having fun, you've got this!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 6:40 PM, TheMentor27 said:

I am playing the games that i like. I just have the bad habit of wanting to place them in milestone positions. Sometimes there are so many easy games that you think "why not". I'm talking about hardcore trophy hunting. That means staying high in the leaderboards. When i get 10 platinums a year it's not trophy hunting, it's just completed the games i like.

I was in the same boat, but my friend youre the captain! (Property_Damage reporting for duty Sir!) haha

playing shovelware as trophy filler for the next platinum milestone i mean

i think this is perfectly fine for inbetween games as i’ve practiced this myself but its also becomes the problem, this may sound like me, the pot calling the kettle black but idc

youre not suppossed to seek out platinums

youre suppossed seek and play the games you enjoy and if they have platinums you go for those

we’ve been fooled for years now and took our gaming interests and turned into a different ocd addiction of a platinum count

just dont make them a milestone!! Haha

• Like 2