Trophy Hunting is not fun anymore!

TheMentor27

6 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

All right, I see what you two mean: I have also played two games (Hawken and Secret Ponchos) purely for the easy Ultra Rares, but at least, I had fun doing it, cause I boosted everything with a friend and I had good laughs with him, and most importantly, the goal being Ultra Rares made everything worth it.

I am sure not a single person achieving shovelware Platinums actually has fun doing that: they are simply addicted, but most of them can't own it and/or getting out of the loop.

Are you shitting me?

Having a laugh with somebody you actually enjoy the company with - or not - is not necessarily the same thing as going for the next platinum.

Try doing something more miserable the next time and perhaps that might set you straight.

In all actuality, your overall message makes it pretty clear that you're trolling. They can't get out of the loop for the exact same reason you can't.

For God's sake, you said as much in your first paragraph.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

Are you shitting me?

Having a laugh with somebody you actually enjoy the company with - or not - is not necessarily the same thing as going for the next platinum.

Try doing something more miserable the next time and perhaps that might set you straight.

In all actuality, your overall message makes it pretty clear that you're trolling. They can't get out of the loop for the exact same reason you can't.

For God's sake, you said as much in your first paragraph.

Very very rude, I'm done with you. Be ashamed.

Trophies and Leaderboards are meaningless, just digital nothingness. 

Imagine when you die youll be remembered for your trophies, not the good you did in the world or the emotional connections you made in life. Just a life spend on chasing digital images which in the end will be deleted just as easily. All this effort and nothing to show for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

yeah this sites percentages are pretty irrelevant, considering what a tiny little slice of PlayStation players are members of this site.

Almost every platinum I get my PlayStation says is ultra rare, then you come on here and it says 40% or something lol 

would be nice to know how many ultra rares you actually have. Maybe some other site tells you that I have no idea

I understand the sentiment. However, it gets kinda boring seeing almost every trophy you have is an Ultra Rare on PSN. On this site, you can see the actual rarity among the people that do the same thing you do, hunt trophies. I think there is value in that. PSNP shows the PSN rarity if you put the mouse over a trophy as well. But yeah, it would be nice to be able to see PSNP UR trophy count AND PSN UR trophy count. It wouldn't be fun going through every trophy on your list to count the PSN URs yourself lol.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tony_snake_24 said:

I understand the sentiment. However, it gets kinda boring seeing almost every trophy you have is an Ultra Rare on PSN. On this site, you can see the actual rarity among the people that do the same thing you do, hunt trophies. I think there is value in that. PSNP shows the PSN rarity if you put the mouse over a trophy as well. But yeah, it would be nice to be able to see PSNP UR trophy count AND PSN UR trophy count. It wouldn't be fun going through every trophy on your list to count the PSN URs yourself lol.

yeah your right that would get boring lol I probably should have chose my wording better. It is cool that this site has its own percentages don’t get me wrong, and does add some extra challenge to the rarity for sure.

But it’s also depressing sometimes when you get a platinum you find hard, then come on here and it’s like 40% common lol 

But yeah being able to see your total UR for psn as well as Psnp would be a cool feature

• Like 1

After 15 years, I don’t quite get the same high that I used to in those earlier years. I really don’t know how others manage to get hundreds or even thousands of platinum trophies and still feel the same rush lol. I don’t take issue with accessibility settings; if you don’t want to use them, then don’t use them. This is a hobby at the end of the day, not a job, so who really cares about how you went about getting a platinum? Others on here don’t have an issue with taking advantage of glitches to make certain trophies easier (like difficulty-related trophies). I like easy games to break up the AA or AAA games if they have an interesting premise (like Suicide Guy) or it’s an atmospheric graphical adventure game. But I personally wouldn’t play an easy game if it was mindless (My Name is Mayo) or just really easy (Hannah Montana). Nor would I do a PS5 auto-pop.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:07 AM, Kulzyc said:

You started trophy hunting 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure you just matured and you're just burned out lol. I used to think shovelwares destroyed trophy hunting when in reality the whole hobby is pointless and only matter when you care. No one care about others trophies, unless you're on the top of the leaderboard. 

Can't talk for everyone, but for me, when I look some random dude profile, I'm looking at his ultra rares only, since everyone have countless shovelwares to build up trophy counts, I have many and I'm not ashame about it lol.

10 years ago I was a teenager chasing trophies all day long, now I'm adult with a family of my own. I lack time and motivation to chase hard trophies like I used to. But I'm still trying, well, a little lol. 

P.S: I'm still buying those shitty 1 button game, what can I say? I love trophies and I'm super retarded lol.

Just imagine, there are still lots of people with certain standards who dont add and "play" hundreds of shovelwares. I dont even judge people with some shovelware on their profiles ( like a "my name is mayo" here and there) but if you have 50,100, 500 or even 1000 shovelware plats on your profile?Well, I have an opinion about those profiles and it is not really a positive one. On the other hand, I dont really care how other people waste their time and money. If people are happy with that, all the power to them.

Personally I would never add this garbage on my profile though. My most "shameful" plats are three telltale games ( walking dead, wolf among us, borderlands) and even though they are free plats in terms of difficulty they are at least good (story) games and require 7-10 hours of effort/time investment.

Edited by GoDBoss173

7 hours ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

There is actually research done on the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation that shows that even if intrinsic motivation existed for a certain activity as soon as extrinsic one is added people loose it. after beeing used to the "reward" for so many years it is some challange to go back to "playing as a normal person". people need a reason to do what they do and finding a new one is not that simple.

I'm very obviously being a smartass.
You are way too into this, are you doing ok? The holiday season can take it's toll on a person.

Do you ever plan to finish your remaining NA stacks for "Furry Hentai Tangram Lite"? Since you only did the EU ones. @TheMentor27

I don't know what you will make of your account now, but I think the more surprising fact is that there are numerous trophy hunters in the same position as you are. They just haven't complained yet or had a need to do so, it seems the dopamine has fully consumed them. Who knows what kind of lives the people have when talking about the top 100 worldwide leaderboards on this website. Anyhow, I do have faith that one day you will be just as legendary as them.

You wasted my time when I read all that self realisation post and some of this stupid thread. If I am feeling that, then I can just imagine what time you wasted playing those shitty games, clogging up your trophy list. How pathetic. Took you a year and a half boring yourself, pretty much forsaking your hobby too come to this conclusion. Wow. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, GoDBoss173 said:

My most "shameful" plats are three telltale games ( walking dead, wolf among us, borderlands) and even though they are free plats in terms of difficulty they are at least good (story) games and require 7-10 hours of effort/time investment.

I'm currently at a loss as to understanding why you would class TWD games as SHAMEFUL. And The Wolf Among Us is/was an awesome game. I platinum it 3 x times. It never got old. The proposed sequel was postponed, then cancelled. Disappointing, because of all that BS that went down with TellTale Games years ago. As for all the TWD games, I have platinum pretty much all versions across all regions, except the last collectors bundles, and the 4 x stacks of final season. Plus those newer ones. I highly doubt I will be playing through them. I have my reasons, and they are not trophy-related.

TWD was as a whole, a ton of fun. Even TWD S2 which most trophy-hunters complained about endlessly because there was no platinum on any of the 3 x versions. I enjoyed it very much. But to this day still fail to understand their reasons for omitting the platinum, but whatever. Why is/was Borderlands shameful? It was also fun. Lastly, I personally wouldn't class FREE games as SHAMEFUL. It all depends on the the player's choices. And a game's difficulty has never been a deciding factor towards my overall enjoyment of a game. It only becomes a factor when there are extremely difficult trophies or a platinum. But even then, if I want to play it, I WILL play it, regardless.

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 11:33 PM, GoDBoss173 said:

Just imagine, there are still lots of people with certain standards who dont add and "play" hundreds of shovelwares. I dont even judge people with some shovelware on their profiles ( like a "my name is mayo" here and there) but if you have 50,100, 500 or even 1000 shovelware plats on your profile?Well, I have an opinion about those profiles and it is not really a positive one. On the other hand, I dont really care how other people waste their time and money. If people are happy with that, all the power to them.

Personally I would never add this garbage on my profile though. My most "shameful" plats are three telltale games ( walking dead, wolf among us, borderlands) and even though they are free plats in terms of difficulty they are at least good (story) games and require 7-10 hours of effort/time investment.

This. I always mix my games. Some games I just complete on normal just to enjoy the story and don't care about any trophy. In other games I try to unlock the platinum or to challenge my myself and other times I play games even without trophies. Like UP. I watched the movie few days ago and completed the PSP game in Premium.

Gaming should be fun/challenging and it's just the experience while gaming and I don't care about dropping a game if it's not fun anymore. I play for myself not for anyone else or for any random ass leaderboard.

Even Ratalaika games here and there are enjoyable. The only games I would never play are the shovelware games like jumping and all the other crap. It's not a game it's just a addiction simulator for some "trophy hunters"  

Trophy "hunting" is fun if you unlock the trophies for games you REALLY enjoy. Everything else sounds like work lol.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:45 AM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Imagine when you die youll be remembered for your trophies, not the good you did in the world or the emotional connections you made in life. Just a life spend on chasing digital images which in the end will be deleted just as easily. All this effort and nothing to show for.

Yes, yes and yes. Trophies are a virtual digital commodity. They are in essence, meaningless, and hold no weight or value in the real world. You can't grab all of your trophies and take them down to the local Pawn shop to hock them off for some cash or preowned goods. The only sense of worth they do possess is to the owner of them. And at the end of the day they represent the time, coin, effort, blood, sweat, tears, and years that that person has invested in his/her trophy collection. And that is all. Far too many people take trophies ridiculously seriously. Yes, it's fun. I get it. I have a shit-ton of trophies myself. About 10-12 years worth. But as I've stated in other topics about trophy-hunting, people have been so obsessed with chasing leaderboards, trophies, platinum's etc, that they have caused broken marriages, ruined relationships etc. People have lost their jobs because of trophies, even those who work from home can and have fallen victim. A veritable plethora of issues can arise from obsessive trophy-hunting. Fortunately, some people manage to find a happy medium between the two.

Some people will spend a disgusting amount of time solely in front of their gaming consoles. But every individual is different, and there are as many different gaming environments/circumstances as there are people's reasons for video-gaming in the first place. I myself try to keep things in perspective. But it's easier said than done a lot of the time. Any hobby can and will become all-consuming to any individual if you let it. And can be therefore potentially detrimental to a person or persons. Hardcore trophy-hunting is and can be hard work. It's a constant effort/battle to elevate your collection to reach greater heights than ever before. You are not only competing with millions of other gamers world-wide, but you are competing with your toughest opponent-yourself. It's an all-time high when your reach new peaks within your profile, and a notch or 2 up on the boards. But rest assured, as others have already stated, you can burn out easily as you earn those precious new platinum's. Plus remember, there are some individuals that are financially equipped to beat all other contenders on the leaderboards if they so wish it. Trophy-hunting has literally become a battlefield.

Yet another aspect is your personal gaming/trophy goals. Yes, goals in trophy-hunting. Like any sport or any other goals from all walks of life, serious video-gamers also have goals to reach. If a person wants to earn 5000+ platinum's from shovelware in a single year (which is doable), then they can go for it. But is it really video-gaming, or just one's striving to be on top of the leaderboards? Me personally, I have zero interest in leaderboards. But that's just me. I have absolutely no problem with others who duke it out for supremacy on them. As they say - Whatever floats your boat. To the OP - you need to channel your efforts differently from time to time. Shake up your gaming schedule. Anyone can burn out doing almost anything. It's inevitable. We all have comfort/discomfort zones. Especially video-gaming. Take time out, re-evaluate your gaming goals. Play stuff you really really want to, and have some real fun. Work on some backlog (my worst enemy. lol). Your quick plats aren't going anywhere soon. Variety really is the spice of life. Whether it be a 60 second platinum or a 500 hour grind, games are hugely diverse, and offer every avenue for anyone to follow. 

In closing - Enjoy life, it is the most important thing there is. Without it there is literally nothing else. 

And remember, nobody will judge you for venting here on this forum. We all go through tough patches from time to time.

It helps to share one's problems, ups and downs in gaming. Hence a discussion forum for that very purpose.

Try to get out of your Rut. Best of luck...

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Your problem is your lack of imagination. Immortalizing one's legacy is as simple as printing out your trophies on paper, putting them in airtight plastic folders, then placed in nuclear flasks - USB sticks also work.

Once you're dead - and your long and arduous journey finally is at an end - you're to be sealed in said flasks along with concrete. You're then buried in underground vaults, deep enough to withstand extinction events.

With some luck, humanity survives long enough to advance its technology in order to scan the remains and code it into the very fabric of the Universe.

You see, it's not a matter of if, but when.😉

On 11/30/2023 at 11:01 AM, TheDarkKratos said:

Yes, yes and yes. Trophies are a virtual digital commodity. They are in essence, meaningless, and hold no weight or value in the real world. You can't grab all of your trophies and take them down to the local Pawn shop to hock them off for some cash or preowned goods. The only sense of worth they do possess is to the owner of them. And at the end of the day they represent the time, coin, effort, blood, sweat, tears, and years that that person has invested in his/her trophy collection. And that is all. Far too many people take trophies ridiculously seriously. Yes, it's fun. I get it. I have a shit-ton of trophies myself. About 10-12 years worth. But as I've stated in other topics about trophy-hunting, people have been so obsessed with chasing leaderboards, trophies, platinum's etc, that they have caused broken marriages, ruined relationships etc. People have lost their jobs because of trophies, even those who work from home can and have fallen victim. A veritable plethora of issues can arise from obsessive trophy-hunting. Fortunately, some people manage to find a happy medium between the two.

Some people will spend a disgusting amount of time solely in front of their gaming consoles. But every individual is different, and there are as many different gaming environments/circumstances as there are people's reasons for video-gaming in the first place. I myself try to keep things in perspective. But it's easier said than done a lot of the time. Any hobby can and will become all-consuming to any individual if you let it. And can be therefore potentially detrimental to a person or persons. Hardcore trophy-hunting is and can be hard work. It's a constant effort/battle to elevate your collection to reach greater heights than ever before. You are not only competing with millions of other gamers world-wide, but you are competing with your toughest opponent-yourself. It's an all-time high when your reach new peaks within your profile, and a notch or 2 up on the boards. But rest assured, as others have already stated, you can burn out easily as you earn those precious new platinum's. Plus remember, there are some individuals that are financially equipped to beat all other contenders on the leaderboards if they so wish it. Trophy-hunting has literally become a battlefield.

Yet another aspect is your personal gaming/trophy goals. Yes, goals in trophy-hunting. Like any sport or any other goals from all walks of life, serious video-gamers also have goals to reach. If a person wants to earn 5000+ platinum's from shovelware in a single year (which is doable), then they can go for it. But is it really video-gaming, or just one's striving to be on top of the leaderboards? Me personally, I have zero interest in leaderboards. But that's just me. I have absolutely no problem with others who duke it out for supremacy on them. As they say - Whatever floats your boat. To the OP - you need to channel your efforts differently from time to time. Shake up your gaming schedule. Anyone can burn out doing almost anything. It's inevitable. We all have comfort/discomfort zones. Especially video-gaming. Take time out, re-evaluate your gaming goals. Play stuff you really really want to, and have some real fun. Work on some backlog (my worst enemy. lol). Your quick plats aren't going anywhere soon. Variety really is the spice of life. Whether it be a 60 second platinum or a 500 hour grind, games are hugely diverse, and offer every avenue for anyone to follow. 

In closing - Enjoy life, it is the most important thing there is. Without it there is literally nothing else. 

And remember, nobody will judge you for venting here on this forum. We all go through tough patches from time to time.

It helps to share one's problems, ups and downs in gaming. Hence a discussion forum for that very purpose.

A very well-put and diplomatic post indeed. I'll try and follow your guidelines to the best of my abilities.🙂

Best of luck to you as well!🤗

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

Imagine when you die youll be remembered for your trophies

And no funny dispute about you, because you cant open one 😭

On 11/28/2023 at 10:44 PM, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

But it’s also depressing sometimes when you get a platinum you find hard, then come on here and it’s like 40% common lol 

Soulsborne games are so hard! (C) 😆

On 11/30/2023 at 4:01 AM, TheDarkKratos said:

Does anyone else remember when Sony allowed us to bid on PlayStation merchandise via all the trophies we earned lol? Or maybe it was just platinum trophies. In any case, that gave some real-world value to what we earned lol.

1 hour ago, ZanFear said:

Does anyone else remember when Sony allowed us to bid on PlayStation merchandise via all the trophies we earned lol? Or maybe it was just platinum trophies. In any case, that gave some real-world value to what we earned lol.

At least here in Germany, there is an advent calendar event going where you can exchange points for tickets to win prices. One way to get points is by getting trophies. It even counts previously  earned trophies when you start,  so I immediately got like 230.000 points (for scale: one ticket for the lottery is 750 points).

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:45 AM, TheDarkKratos said:

I'm currently at a loss as to understanding why you would class TWD games as SHAMEFUL. And The Wolf Among Us is/was an awesome game. I platinum it 3 x times. It never got old. The proposed sequel was postponed, then cancelled. Disappointing, because of all that BS that went down with TellTale Games years ago. As for all the TWD games, I have platinum pretty much all versions across all regions, except the last collectors bundles, and the 4 x stacks of final season. Plus those newer ones. I highly doubt I will be playing through them. I have my reasons, and they are not trophy-related.

TWD was as a whole, a ton of fun. Even TWD S2 which most trophy-hunters complained about endlessly because there was no platinum on any of the 3 x versions. I enjoyed it very much. But to this day still fail to understand their reasons for omitting the platinum, but whatever. Why is/was Borderlands shameful? It was also fun. Lastly, I personally wouldn't class FREE games as SHAMEFUL. It all depends on the the player's choices. And a game's difficulty has never been a deciding factor towards my overall enjoyment of a game. It only becomes a factor when there are extremely difficult trophies or a platinum. But even then, if I want to play it, I WILL play it, regardless.

we are on the internet so any discussion is eventually going to be dumbed down to a simple 1 dimensional black white thing. in this case we see an example of that in which the left over dimention is length. short euqals bad, long equals good. in other forums you can vote for difficulty and you see people voting 10/10 because the game is long and grindy. another great example is how "ratalaika game" is often used as a synonym for "crap with quick platinum" while a lot of the games are actually very good and just require very little to platinum them (in foxyland 2 for example the platinum is essentially finish world 1 and get at least a few collectibles along the way). in the end its all due to many people joining the discussion that just have too little knowledge about the topic.

On 11/26/2023 at 5:46 AM, TheMentor27 said:

Every you said is important and i really appreciate you for sharing. This is what i asked initially. Yeah i agree it's all so relative that it's frustrating. I could sit and platinum many hard games and still i would get "but you play shovelware". Rarity is stupid in my opinion. Even "hard" games doesn't have ultra rare trophies. It's always some tedious task or a game thtat no one actually cared to paltinum.

totally agree with yah man

Edited by melodicmizery

I recently made a new account after regretting having shovalware games that take 15mins to platinum and was losing interest in continuing my account progress. I don't mind games that take a hour or more as long as I enjoy them and so far my trophy hunting experience feels so much better. I'm definitely very fussy in what I play though but seriously what's the point making a forum about this if you still continue to do what's killing the fun for you 😹

Edited by OddworldEnclosed
  • Like 1