Trophy Hunting is not fun anymore!

TheMentor27

13 minutes ago, AdruA said:

I tried to search around about this 'overall rarity' but didn't find anything conclusive

It's the stat in your stats that define the rarity/amount of trophies I guess? I'm set at 35.5% but don't even have the slightest idea if that's considered 'crazy good' or 'crazy bad' 🤔

Yes, it's that one.

Mine is at 37% and personally I consider anything below 40% to be good, so well done. :P

You're bound to get burnt out if all you do is chase what someone else tells you to chase.  In this case, it's the leaderboard.  If the site changed the main leaderboard to a rarity one, it would suit me better personally, but I have no doubt that others will burn themselves out on it chasing something they didn't really chose for themselves.

Figure out what you want out of trophy hunting first, and then look for things on trophy sites that at least mostly match that instead of the other way around.  I think you'll be happier with it.

• Like 2

I don't even look at the leaderboard now and could careless what others think.
Play for fun and make going for trophies just a fun task. If they burn you out or frustrate you either be done with the game or go back to it at a later time when you feel the desire.

I do STILL get burned out from time to time, but that's mostly a gaming thing. Always good to take breaks though.

I think it all comes down to what you perceive as fun as a trophy hunter. Personally, I couldn't care less about my global/national position or how many platinums I have. I've been trophy hunting for more than 6 years now, and I don't even have 200 games played yet. I would never burn myself with lame games just for a platinum. I'm not judging, there are people who take pleasure from that. Good for them. As for me, my personal pleasure lies in keeping my 100% profile. That allows me to explore each game to the max, something I never did in my younger days during the SNES era. I would always play the games on easy and just finish it as quickly as possible. Today, however, I try to play every mode, every minigame and collect everything a game has to offer, so I can conquer my beloved 100%. And it's by no means a chore (well, some rare times it is), so I feel super happy with my progress and the way I play the games. The secret is this: trophy hunt in the way you love. Fuck everything and everyone else. Unless you want attention, then it's another story.

• Like 3

Honestly might be worth it to not play for a while, until you get the drive to actually play something just do other stuff for a bit. When you come back you might feel better. Or, what helps me when I'm burned out, playing old games such as the ps2 or as far as the nes. Variety is important, try other types of games you don't typically try. Also I'd recommend not worrying about stuff like ratios of certain trophies or which games you should or shouldn't do, focus on finding something you genuinely want to play. I understand why you'd want to do that but it's not worth it long term. I hope you can find some joy in it again 

• Like 3

My advice...pick a new game you want to buy and play the most right now. DO NOT look at the trophy list, or guide at all while playing it. Just buy it, install it, and play it! When you've finished the game, delete it and pick another one. Come back to these games much later for cleanup, following a guide. 

For me, trophies popping up randomly with no planning are pretty great...reminds me of those early days. When a trophy popped up on PS3, and I was like....what the hell is that!?

Cheers

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

My advice...pick a new game you want to buy and play the most right now. DO NOT look at the trophy list, or guide at all while playing it. Just buy it, install it, and play it! When you've finished the game, delete it and pick another one. Come back to these games much later for cleanup, following a guide. 

For me, trophies popping up randomly with no planning are pretty great...reminds me of those early days. When a trophy popped up on PS3, and I was like....what the hell is that!?

Cheers

I agree with the above comment. A few thoughts I have, I think it's important to have a game/games on the side that you enjoy playing without having to worry about trophies. I have found that it is pretty rejuvenating to just play the game without worrying about any trophies or percentages. Or even a game that I really enjoyed all the way around, including the platinum journey. For example Persona 5 Royal. I got the platinum, loved the game, and I have just gone through it again just to replay it because it was fun.

The other thought I have is it's unfortunate people like yourself and your experience, tend to put their own level of value into intangible objects like trophies. At the end of the day, games are games and trophies are an extra thing to do to enjoy the game at its fullest. People will always have an opinion of what you should or shouldn't do, but that should never be taken to demean your own value. Just play to play and never mind the nay sayers! It's your own journey and entertainment.

Anyways, just a few thoughts of mine.

• Like 1

While I strongly disagree on replacing the standard PSN trophy points with rarity based points (won’t elaborate unless asked 😮‍💨 because it’s just too much and more than likely divisive), it would nonetheless bring some necessary transformation to the landscape, and mostly hit the mark (I don’t believe in “magic numbers” but I’m told by some that the 50% rarity cutoff is 99% accurate across agreeably proper games). 

8 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Let me ask you this. If the leaderboard on this site had made shovelware worth zero points years ago when it was obvious they were becoming a problem, would you have actually bought them? 

I feel as if I ought to have diligently snipped every post (in other topics) making this point here when I had the chance. I’m positive there are zero if not next to zero purchases made of these items by people who do not use PSNP and the like.

• Like 1

I played about 50 shovelware games not for the leadorboard it was in fact for my ps vita. Most of those games are stackable on ps4 and vita. I felt quite sad seeing my portable console abandoned after 5 or 7 games played so I started to play ratalaika and others developers easy platinum games for giving more activity to the console. I think im not the only one who did this for the ps vita.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2023 at 9:19 AM, TheMentor27 said:

Trophy hunting begun as a way of enjoy the games at their fullest. Then came the need of more platinums

Your issue isn't with trophies, it's with leaderboard chasing.

You need to retrain your brain into understanding the number of plats isn't worth it or fun. You can't hunt like it's 2012 anymore

• Like 2

On 11/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, TheMentor27 said:

I've been tempering with these thoughts for a year and a half now. It doesn't feel right anymore. Let me explain.

I really enjoy getting the platinum trophy of a good, favorite or just fun game. It adds value, makes the game bigger and adds more challenge. To be honest the challenge is not there anymore due to accessibility options that lets you get the platinum quick and easy. Yes i'm the kind of person that will play on easy, if the trophy list doesn't have any difficulty trophies. 

Back in 2014 i started caring about the leaderboard, here on PSNP, when i created the account. I was already on a good country position (22th) and i tried to earn more and more trophies to climb. Back then the easiest trophies where from Telltale's Games and most of the time you would get mocked if you played them. This is so funny for me now, because these games are actually very good. Then, i remember, around 2017 it was the begging of some short, easy but still fun platinums, which gave you a boost. Until then, everything was okay.

Then, in 2018, started the cross region thing, or at least, i found out about it. I still remember trying to get all the Vita stacks in one session so it would synchronize correctly. Even then, when the games where pretty much garbage, i can see now that they had some value. At least they had some kind of gameplay and you actually had to pay attention. It was then, that i managed to climb 7th in my country and around 1000th in the world. It felt good, because, even if it was most from easy platinums, the stress of getting banned, due to the tedious Vita stacking trick, was there. I remember when they stopped producing Vita stacks i was relived. I didn't know what waited in the corner.

And this brings us to 2020, when i realized that the ratio between gold, silver and bronze trophies mattered. I remember posting my 500th platinum in Valhalla and getting roasted because i had more gold than silver. I honestly didn't really care about the opinion of others, but i cared about my trophy count. I hadn't realized that i had destroy my trophy list. The next year i tried reversing these numbers, i stopped playing games with only gold trophies and i searched for games with many silver, like Lego games for example. It was at this time period that one button games started to appear. I didn't care much then, as i though that there would be few of them. As i managed to reverse my gold and silver numbers i was very careful to play the right games at the right time so i could get good games for milestones, while retaining a good ration. And this is the point where this became very bad.

I would just pay lots of money (for me anyway), that i could spend on other good games or collectibles, to get many easy one button games, so i can reach the milestone fast and put the good game, that i played on that period, in that milestone position. For a time i was okay with it, but when i updated my gaming setup with a PS5 and an OLED tv, i really started questioning my day to day gaming experience. I was literarily stopping playing a game i really enjoyed to spend 2 to 3 days playing garbage so i could put it on a milestone position. I really felt that with The Last of Us PART I Remake, which i wanted to make my 1000th platinum trophy. Then i said that i would stop the hardcore trophy hunting and that i would just enjoy the games i like. After obtaining my 1000th platinum i stopped for about half a year and OMG it was heaven! 

Months had past and i decided to give it a go once again, due to some ps store sales. Then i truly understood the condition of the trophy hunting community. There where so many one button turds with so many stacks that i couldn't even comprehend the money that was needed to keep been "competitive" and i'm using this word laughing. Then i noticed that in the leaderboard i had lost 5 positions to some 2 or 3 year old accounts, even a 8month old one. So i decided that it doesn't matter anymore. Something that was a feeling of accomplishment, feels like a chore now that just asks for more and more money. And some people doesn't even hesitate.

And with that story comes my point. The creation of needs. Trophy hunting begun as a way of enjoy the games at their fullest. Then came the need of more platinums, so some developers created easier trophy lists to make them more friendly. Then the ratio kicked in and everyone wanted to have good silver and gold ratios, thus developers created one button games with only silver, bronze etc. It's all about created needs that don't matter. I refuse to maintain the need of being in the top 10 of my country when i have to play junk just to be there, i refuse to keep playing junk and then calculate how much money i have to spend to fix my ratio. I decided, once again to stop, after i maximize the official trophy level at 999. I don't know if i will maintain this stance, but, for now, i need to focus on just enjoying my gaming sessions and not caring about being top at a leaderboard full of people that are willing to spend lots of money just to on the top. Maybe now and then, when there is a sale, i don't know. 

It was about skill and will. Now its about money and created needs.

Thanks to anyone that stayed until now, i really appreciate it. I would like to read your opinions and your trophy experience. Take care!

I played a couple of the shovelware games and quickly realized that they just weren't for me. I play games and trophy hunt for my own enjoyment. So I stick to the games that I want to play for the most part. Competing for a spot on the leaderboards isn't appealing to me at all so it's not a priority.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:19 AM, TheMentor27 said:

get good games for milestones,

Just a reminder, you are not taking care of your milestone list good enough. You’ve skipped those 30000th, 20000th trophy. They should all be platinum rarity unless those have some significance to you. (25000th trophy is Innocent platinum nice job)

I personally know rank no. 2 & 4 in my country. They basically plat 49 shovelwares/easy games and plat 1 normal game for milestone. For significant milestone like 4000th platinum they pick a particular 3Agame or the game they really like. They never complain shovelware is boring and they are having fun because they have balance in gaming. When they are bored with a 3A game grind they go to play some easy games something like that.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the stat revealing the most about a player is its trophy rarity %. I find much more impressive someone with 100 platinum trophies with a 30% average of rarity than someone with 1000 platinum trophies with a 90% average of rarity.

In the past I had times I looked to boost my platinum and gold trophies, but it only lasted a year or so, as I got bored spending money on useless easy games. Now I try to maximize my % trophy completion, play games I actually like and hunt some rare trophies I didn't get in the past (hello Sports Champions on ps3 haha).

But again, I think the most important thing should be to play for fun, to play the games you actually like, without trying to compare to others. I can understand the thrill of being « the best » at something, but again, gaming should be all about fun, and never become a chore, as we already have enough chores in our day to day life!

• Like 3

On some level, I cant really understand Op's post. But then again, I'm not really meant to.

This post highlights, through the lens of this wonderful and weird shared hobby of ours how bonkers we all actually are. I'm not a hardcore trophy hunter myself and though I would have never gotten to the lengths he did, I have forced myself to push to 100% past the point of the enjoyment of the game. Not always, but still. Why? Who knows? Still enjoy the hell out of gaming in general though.

Why area there hoarders? I don't understand that behavior and I'm not really meant to. I've never lived their live and been what they've been through to get them to that point so I wouldn't get it even if I tried. We'll all be a lot nicer to each other if we take that in consideration when we see someone else's quirks and weirdness probably.

OP, very glad you have had this epiphany/revelation for yourself. Good for you, my dude. From now on, you can look forward to just enjoying and being fulfilled by gaming on its own merits. Happy Gaming, buddy! 😄

• Like 3

You started trophy hunting 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure you just matured and you're just burned out lol. I used to think shovelwares destroyed trophy hunting when in reality the whole hobby is pointless and only matter when you care. No one care about others trophies, unless you're on the top of the leaderboard. 

Can't talk for everyone, but for me, when I look some random dude profile, I'm looking at his ultra rares only, since everyone have countless shovelwares to build up trophy counts, I have many and I'm not ashame about it lol.

10 years ago I was a teenager chasing trophies all day long, now I'm adult with a family of my own. I lack time and motivation to chase hard trophies like I used to. But I'm still trying, well, a little lol. 

P.S: I'm still buying those shitty 1 button game, what can I say? I love trophies and I'm super retarded lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1