Trophy Hunting is not fun anymore!

TheMentor27

3 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

He means UR hunters, or I assume he does anyway

There's people who only play games just for Ultra-Rare platinum's?

That is the first I've heard of that. What's the point of doing that?

TBPH - this whole trophy thing has gotten beyond a joke.

I play any and everything. I even play games that have no trophies.

Trophies it seem have become the driving force in the gaming community.

Which is sad. Sure, I have a few trophies, but even so, I don't lose perspective.

Gaming and trophies are two separate entities. 

Awhile back some dude said he would only play games if they auto-popped.

IMHO that's absurd. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Edited by TheDarkKratos

On 11/25/2023 at 11:19 PM, TheMentor27 said:

I've been tempering with these thoughts for a year and a half now. It doesn't feel right anymore. Let me explain.

I really enjoy getting the platinum trophy of a good, favorite or just fun game. It adds value, makes the game bigger and adds more challenge. To be honest the challenge is not there anymore due to accessibility options that lets you get the platinum quick and easy. Yes i'm the kind of person that will play on easy, if the trophy list doesn't have any difficulty trophies. 

Back in 2014 i started caring about the leaderboard, here on PSNP, when i created the account. I was already on a good country position (22th) and i tried to earn more and more trophies to climb. Back then the easiest trophies where from Telltale's Games and most of the time you would get mocked if you played them. This is so funny for me now, because these games are actually very good. Then, i remember, around 2017 it was the begging of some short, easy but still fun platinums, which gave you a boost. Until then, everything was okay.

Then, in 2018, started the cross region thing, or at least, i found out about it. I still remember trying to get all the Vita stacks in one session so it would synchronize correctly. Even then, when the games where pretty much garbage, i can see now that they had some value. At least they had some kind of gameplay and you actually had to pay attention. It was then, that i managed to climb 7th in my country and around 1000th in the world. It felt good, because, even if it was most from easy platinums, the stress of getting banned, due to the tedious Vita stacking trick, was there. I remember when they stopped producing Vita stacks i was relived. I didn't know what waited in the corner.

And this brings us to 2020, when i realized that the ratio between gold, silver and bronze trophies mattered. I remember posting my 500th platinum in Valhalla and getting roasted because i had more gold than silver. I honestly didn't really care about the opinion of others, but i cared about my trophy count. I hadn't realized that i had destroy my trophy list. The next year i tried reversing these numbers, i stopped playing games with only gold trophies and i searched for games with many silver, like Lego games for example. It was at this time period that one button games started to appear. I didn't care much then, as i though that there would be few of them. As i managed to reverse my gold and silver numbers i was very careful to play the right games at the right time so i could get good games for milestones, while retaining a good ration. And this is the point where this became very bad.

I would just pay lots of money (for me anyway), that i could spend on other good games or collectibles, to get many easy one button games, so i can reach the milestone fast and put the good game, that i played on that period, in that milestone position. For a time i was okay with it, but when i updated my gaming setup with a PS5 and an OLED tv, i really started questioning my day to day gaming experience. I was literarily stopping playing a game i really enjoyed to spend 2 to 3 days playing garbage so i could put it on a milestone position. I really felt that with The Last of Us PART I Remake, which i wanted to make my 1000th platinum trophy. Then i said that i would stop the hardcore trophy hunting and that i would just enjoy the games i like. After obtaining my 1000th platinum i stopped for about half a year and OMG it was heaven! 

Months had past and i decided to give it a go once again, due to some ps store sales. Then i truly understood the condition of the trophy hunting community. There where so many one button turds with so many stacks that i couldn't even comprehend the money that was needed to keep been "competitive" and i'm using this word laughing. Then i noticed that in the leaderboard i had lost 5 positions to some 2 or 3 year old accounts, even a 8month old one. So i decided that it doesn't matter anymore. Something that was a feeling of accomplishment, feels like a chore now that just asks for more and more money. And some people doesn't even hesitate.

And with that story comes my point. The creation of needs. Trophy hunting begun as a way of enjoy the games at their fullest. Then came the need of more platinums, so some developers created easier trophy lists to make them more friendly. Then the ratio kicked in and everyone wanted to have good silver and gold ratios, thus developers created one button games with only silver, bronze etc. It's all about created needs that don't matter. I refuse to maintain the need of being in the top 10 of my country when i have to play junk just to be there, i refuse to keep playing junk and then calculate how much money i have to spend to fix my ratio. I decided, once again to stop, after i maximize the official trophy level at 999. I don't know if i will maintain this stance, but, for now, i need to focus on just enjoying my gaming sessions and not caring about being top at a leaderboard full of people that are willing to spend lots of money just to on the top. Maybe now and then, when there is a sale, i don't know. 

It was about skill and will. Now its about money and created needs.

Thanks to anyone that stayed until now, i really appreciate it. I would like to read your opinions and your trophy experience. Take care!

Take a break like i did (4years or so), now back at it but just when i can and games that interest/like as for money i try to play the stuff on plus or only day1 buy games i like or finish off dlcs that are on sale, its not how many platinums you have is about the quality of plats you have 🙂 i have 3 sons all into gaming now and one day hopefully they will take over my profile and keep her lit 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheDarkKratos said:

There's people who only play games just for Ultra-Rare platinum's?

That is the first I've heard of that. What's the point of doing that?

What a question.

3 most important stats are number of platinums,number of UR trophies and average rarity %. :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Buddy, forget about those leaderboards. The top people on the leaderboards are people that play on the same account, game share. I noticed your from Greece I haven’t checked that leaderboard for that specific country (dying to go to Mykonos btw) I live in Northern Ireland, and there are people in my country have a shiton more trophies than I do. @Banana_Sausage47 has more trophies than me 😛 I’m still adamant that I represented NI at one point lol. 

You should come, but i advice you to visit another place. I don't know what you are looking after, but Mykonos is too expensive! 

2 hours ago, Shmeefly said:

The ppl at the top of the board, the ones that dedicate their lives to piling shit on top of shit just to be at the top have turned into a laughing stock, let’s be real, none of them have our respect, i feel more sorry for them that they’ve been trapped by this never ending battle, it’s sad, some of them have multiple ppl working on their accs, sleep rotations etc, it’s absolutely pathetic really in my opinion.

I’ve said it before n il say it again, I don’t wanna be king of shit mountain, and neither should anyone else, I’m glad you saw the light and realised what you were doing wasn’t fun anymore, welcome back to enjoying games n having fun.

I would be careful with that rhetoric if I were you.😉 You're about to summon the anti-elitist goon squad.😅

Chasing leaderboards is pointless if you don't have 150k a year income minimum and at least 2 months a year of vacation. You simply can't compete with people who own their own businesses or invest and live off passive income.

Heck being a trophy hunter would be more enjoyable than chasing leaderboards.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Enjoying Ultra Rare Trophies can't be compared to being addicted to shovelware.

Shovelware ruined the leaderboard of this site, its main page, the appearance of the store, and more in general the whole hobby, for thousand of people. Ultra Rare Trophies harm no one, and while it's true there are relatively easy Ultra Rare Trophies, I enjoy hunting for them and how many Ultra Rares they have is definitely one of the first thing I look at when I look at a profile.

I know some users here with thousand of Ultra Rare Trophies, coming from games they definitely played only for that, rather than for the game itself: while it's not something I would do, I admire and respect them, they definitely do not deserve mockery.

It can't? How so?

While I understand the underlying message of what you're saying, your top comment shows that you don't really understand the issue.

Whether you're whoring shovelware or URs, it's basically the same psychological mechanism. Of course, the latter is in general more respectable just as you say, but don't fool yourself in that they're miles apart, because they aren't.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As mentioned before you are suffering from a trophy hunting burn-out but also feeling insignificant in terms of "impact" on the leaderboard unless you go all-in for games that offer 1-minute plats. Take a deep breath and remember to give sometimes priority to play games that you would play even if there wasn't a single trophy available.

I like the fact that I can relate to you about the order of trophies which means bronze > silver > gold. This is something that is preventing me to play shovelware games all the time lol

24 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

It can't? How so?

While I understand the underlying message of what you're saying, your top comment shows that you don't really understand the issue.

Whether you're whoring shovelware or URs, it's basically the same psychological mechanism. Of course, the latter is in general more respectable just as you say, but don't fool yourself in that they're miles apart, because they aren't.

Difference being that Ultra Rares haven't ruined anything and most of them require just a little bit more of effort than destroying the X button. 😅 So yeah, they indeed are miles apart, for me.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

Difference being that Ultra Rares haven't ruined anything and most of them require just a little bit more of effort than destroying the X button. 😅 So yeah, they indeed are miles apart, for me.

It's two sides of the same coin, honestly. One is definitely seen as more respectable, but if you're just playing games for URs instead of the love of games, it's just as bad as shovelwaring for leaderboard rankings. IE. both players would be going for trophies/plats for the wrong reasons to tailor their profile in a specific way.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

No, URs haven’t skewered the leaderboards in that sense, however my main point is that the psychological aspect is pretty much the same.

So, one shouldn't be so quick to ridicule another when you're basically a slave to the same principle.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

>It's not fun!
Then stop hunting and just play your games like a normal person.

Thread over, how is this six pages?

There is actually research done on the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation that shows that even if intrinsic motivation existed for a certain activity as soon as extrinsic one is added people loose it. after beeing used to the "reward" for so many years it is some challange to go back to "playing as a normal person". people need a reason to do what they do and finding a new one is not that simple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

It's two sides of the same coin, honestly. One is definitely seen as more respectable, but if you're just playing games for URs instead of the love of games, it's just as bad as shovelwaring for leaderboard rankings. IE. both players would be going for trophies/plats for the wrong reasons to tailor their profile in a specific way.

I'd argue that going after rarity keeps it more enjoyable based solely on the fact that you will be playing a variety of games as there usually isn't a strict genre that always has UR.

I agree that both are going after numbers, but by the very nature of it, burnout is less likely to happen, unlike with shovelware.

• Like 3

All right, I see what you two mean: I have also played two games (Hawken and Secret Ponchos) purely for the easy Ultra Rares, but at least, I had fun doing it, cause I boosted everything with a friend and I had good laughs with him, and most importantly, the goal being Ultra Rares made everything worth it.

I am sure not a single person achieving shovelware Platinums actually has fun doing that: they are simply addicted, but most of them can't own it and/or getting out of the loop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

All right, I see what you two mean: I have also played two games (Hawken and Secret Ponchos) purely for the easy Ultra Rares, but at least, I had fun doing it, cause I boosted everything with a friend and I had good laughs with him, and most importantly, the goal being Ultra Rares made everything worth it.

I am sure not a single person achieving shovelware Platinums actually has fun doing that: they are simply addicted, but most of them can't own it and/or getting out of the loop.

holding down a button for a minute in 40 different games while hanging out in a party chat with a friend is pretty much the same as boosting i would argue. not to mention how many people boost not with friends but with people they find online and at least in my experience in some cases there are people involve that i definitley dont enjoy talking with but since i am here now i iwll push throught this bit so its done.