Backlog Challenge 2024 - Sign Up Year-Round!

On 12/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, Rebourne07 said:

Added time multipliers to reward those who reach far back into their backlogs.

I love this addition. I've got some really old PS3 games that I always wanted to finish, and this will help motivate me to target those early on and wipe them off my list. 

I recently started a whole bunch of games I've been wanting to play, earning a single trophy, then setting them aside so I can go after them for this challenge. Please tell me I'm not the only one doing this. I felt pretty cheesy doing this, but I'm only doing it to games I've been putting off and actually really want to play. I have a bad habit of loading up during sales, then I'm afraid to start new stuff because I have so many incomplete lists. Again, I can't be the only one doing this, right?

• Like 2

Just now, WykydTorch said:

I love this addition. I've got some really old PS3 games that I always wanted to finish, and this will help motivate me to target those early on and wipe them off my list. 

I recently started a whole bunch of games I've been wanting to play, earning a single trophy, then setting them aside so I can go after them for this challenge. Please tell me I'm not the only one doing this. I felt pretty cheesy doing this, but I'm only doing it to games I've been putting off and actually really want to play. I have a bad habit of loading up during sales, then I'm afraid to start new stuff because I have so many incomplete lists. Again, I can't be the only one doing this, right?

Lots of people are doing it, me included. It’s not really cheap since with no time multiplier they’ll only be worth base points so seems fair to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WykydTorch said:

Yeah, I may have gone overboard with adding games, added almost 20 to my account because I do want to play them

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:54 AM, iXanon said:

Sure, I'll give it a shot.. I've generally never had more than around 65% completion (going by TT's 'only include DLC I own' stat) - so any increase is a win, but if I manage to hit 75% around this time next year I'll be buzzing..

I currently have 102 started games in the backlog, only 1 of which has unobtainables (Killzone 2). I intend on starting 1 more this month (The Crew), but trying not to start any further games next year and excluding myself from a TT bean dive is going to be rough given how many unstarted games I have 😂

On 12/26/2023 at 1:32 AM, Rebourne07 said:

Merry Christmas guys! Remember, if you get a game for Christmas and you want it to count towards this challenge…you gotta commit it to your backlog by getting one trophy in it before the end of the year. 

I opted to start a couple more games that I fancied playing.. just to make the 75% target all the more difficult! 😅

I'd wanted to start The Crew also but my first copy never arrived, and having bought it yesterday at my local indie store I'm getting a server error and can't progress enough to unlock a trophy.. and now I'm tempted to give it a miss all together given the known trophy issues with it.

6 minutes ago, iXanon said:

I opted to start a couple more games that I fancied playing.. just to make the 75% target all the more difficult! 😅

I'd wanted to start The Crew also but my first copy never arrived, and having bought it yesterday at my local indie store I'm getting a server error and can't progress enough to unlock a trophy.. and now I'm tempted to give it a miss all together given the known trophy issues with it.

The Crew servers are going down soon. I’d say skip it to not have that stress of potential unobtainable trophies, but up to you 

I'll definitely be trying to clean up some old games so I'm in

It's tempting to pop 1 trophy in a bunch of games I plan to play next year but there's something about being excited to play a game and experiencing it for the first time that I feel like I would ruin for myself by doing that so I won't

Edited by MD_91
  • Like 4

Actually, I am creating a huge backlog with a challenge which is inspired by Dragon_Archon's old Platinum Rain Day event where I get all but one of the trophies for a platinum and then, on a certain day, pop all those final trophies in rapid succession. Can these count toward this challenge? I saw the multiplier for high completion rates and thought "Hey, if I am getting 90-99% on these games anyways, I'd rack up a huge score! :D"

*sees the requirement of having a trophy timestamped after New Year's Day*

Oh... :(

I still have a lot of games I am going to prep after 2023 is over, so I can still list those. Either way, I'd be glad to join, though my backlog isn't that big.

7 hours ago, MD_91 said:

I'll definitely be trying to clean up some old games so I'm in

It's tempting to pop 1 trophy in a bunch of games I plan to play next year but there's something about being excited to play a game and experiencing it for the first time that I feel like I would ruin for myself by doing that so I won't

I feel you.  I only popped trophies for two games I knew I was for sure tackling for another challenge to double dip a little, otherwise I get this!

• Like 3

Hey there, sign me up! I've been tackling with games I have in my backlog for a long time. Most of them are PS4 though, but I also have a couple of PS3/Vita ones. This year I also raised my completion rate from 68% to 76%, so I hope this year I pass the 80%!

• Like 2

I´m in! Trying to get Backlog Mountain to Backlog Hill...but seriously it wont happen. There is to much stuff to handle for only one year. But I try my best and wish all of you luck for the challenge!!

@Rebourne07 thanks for organising, this sounds like a lot of fun :D

The Crew, Detroit: Become Human, Dead Island 2, Spidersaurs, Dark Souls 2 (PS3), Yakuza 0, inFamous and Xeodrifter are the Titles I want to complete and if im calculate right, it should be enough to get to the 5k points....

• Like 2

Committed a few games to my profile including the 2nd Dead By Daylight PS4 list. I have just under 28K potential points I could earn for this event without calculating the time multiplier at all. So, well over 30k with that multiplier added. Was at profile 93.3% a couple days ago. But after adding some 1%'s I'm going to be just under 91% total.

Goal is to get that up to 95% profile completion in 2024.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, Rebourne07 said:

Backlog Challenge 2024

Premise

During the year 2024 finish as much of your backlog as you can. Each game and DLC pack is weighted by difficulty and time estimate. Points are totaled up and you climb the ranks according to your earned points.

Rules

• The challenge begins January 1st, 2024 and runs through December 31st, 2024. Anyone can sign up at any time during the year. 
  • For a game to count it must have at least one trophy timestamped before January 1st, 2024 and at least one trophy timestamped after January 1st, 2024.
    • Games that do not have one trophy timestamped, but were loaded onto your profile at 0% do not count
    • Games you started in 2024 from scratch do not count
  • For a DLC pack to count, the base game or DLC pack must have at least one trophy timestamped before January 1st, 2024 and the DLC pack must be 100% completed after January 1st, 2024.
  • It doesn't matter if you're starting from a single trophy earned or a single trophy away from completion. It all counts the same.
  • If the game has a platinum trophy, then you must earn the platinum trophy to count it.
  • If the game doesn't have a platinum trophy, then you must earn 100% base game trophies to count it.
  • For DLC packs, you must get 100% in the DLC pack to count it. Each DLC pack is worth it's own set of points according to it's difficulty / time estimate.
  • If a game or DLC pack has a PSNProfiles guide, you must use the difficulty rating and time estimate from that guide. If a game has 2 guides, you can use whichever results in you getting more points.
  • If a game does NOT have a PSNProfiles guide, just post and ask if a different official guide with a difficulty rating and time estimate is ok to use if you can find one.
  • Auto pops count. Completion is completion.
  • When calculating points, please be honest. It'd be too much work to check the math and timestamps on every game for every player so realistically only the top performers on the leaderboard will be checked, but please aim to be as accurate as possible in your calculations and only include games you know you had progress on pre-2024 to keep things fair and fun for everyone.
  • Once there are 10+ people in Platinum tier a Top 10 Players chart will be made and kept updated. 
  • The longer or harder the game / DLC pack is, the more points it's worth

• Each platinum, base game 100% or DLC pack you complete is worth: 
    • Difficulty Rating * Time Estimate
  • For example...if you had Cyberpunk 2077 in your backlog, having started it pre-2024 and then you platinum'd it in 2024 you would earn:
    • VpwAPjD.png
      • Difficulty Rating = 3/10
      • Time Estimate = 85hrs
      • 3 * 85 = 255 points
  • Or say you completed 100% trophies in the Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Banned Footage Vol. 1 DLC pack then you would earn:
    • fGmLEuF.png
      • Difficulty Rating = 7/10
      • Time Estimate = 15hrs
      • 7 * 15 = 105 points

Multipliers

• PROFILE MULTIPLIERS: The larger your backlog, the more options you have to earn points. However, for those with higher completion rates:
    • Profile at 80%+ completion => All points for each game past that completion level are multiplied by 1.25x
    • Profile at 85%+ completion => All points for each game past that completion level are multiplied by 1.50x
    • Profile at 90%+ completion => All points for each game past that completion level are multiplied by 1.75x
    • Profile at 95%+ completion => All points for each game past that completion level are multiplied by 2.00x
  • SYSTEM MULTIPLIERS: Special incentive is given to go back and do games outside the typical PS4/PS5 ecosystem: 
    • PSVR or PSVR2 games => All points for each VR game are multiplied by 1.25x
      • The game must require VR, not just have an optional VR mode.
    • PS Vita games => All points for each Vita game are multiplied by 1.5x
      • The game must be Vita only or PS3+Vita: 
        • m85BxrJ.png counts for the multiplier
        • N5qAKP1.png counts for the multiplier
        • h8Y21Mb.png does NOT count for the multiplier
    • PS3 games => All points for each PS3 game are multiplied by 1.5x
      • The game must be PS3 only or PS3+Vita:
        • BNqd0nC.png counts for the multiplier
        • N5qAKP1.png counts for the multiplier
        • kfGcosT.png does NOT count for the multiplier
        • GD3FxMO.png does NOT count for the multiplier
  • TIME MULTIPLIERS: The longer a game has been in your backlog, the more points it's worth:
    • Once you complete the game, look at the time to platinum / time to complete: 9B1xdO6.png
      • If this time is anything less than 1 year, it does NOT qualify for a multiplier
      • If this time is 1 year or greater, then a multiplier is applied using the formula: 1.Years
        • Ex: Platinum/Completed in 1 year+ => 1.1x
        • Ex: Platinum/Completed in 4 years+ => 1.4x
        • Ex: Platinum/Completed in 12 years+ => 2.2x
        • Etc.
      • Months are irrelevant. Only years count. 11 months is not a year.
      • This applies to DLC too. Even if you platinum'd the game forever ago. If you finish the DLC in 2024, then it qualifies for this multiplier. 
  • PARTIAL COMPLETION MULTIPLIER: If you make progress on a game, but do not finish it...you still get partial credit. This will incentivize getting missing trophies on games with unobtainable trophies or "that one impossible trophy you know you'll never do". Once you know you either cannot or will not go any further then use the following formula:
    • (Ending % - Starting %) / 100
    • So for example if you start off at 25% and get all but one gold in Street Fighter V and end up with 91% then your multiplier would be: 
      • (91-25)/100 = 66/100 = 0.66
      • yakCTib.png
      • So you'd still earn 10 * 150 * 0.66 = 990 points
  • All modifiers stack!

To sign up, just comment below!

• All you have to say is that you want to join, but you could post some other information if you want to like your starting profile %, backlog related goals for the year and/or games you're planning on doing on your way to Platinum tier on the leaderboards.
  • If you're joining mid-year, you can just calculate up the points you've earned up to this point and post that to get started.
  • Here's an EXAMPLE Spreadsheet with Formulas to help track your progress. Make sure to post here to update us every time you earn new points :D

RVavOU4.png

• Upon reaching Platinum tier you can put the challenge's signature badge in your signature if you so choose:

hjDXqbI.jpg

Leaderboards

Platinum 5000+ Points Earned

Reveal hidden contents

No one has earned this tier yet...

Gold 3750+ Points Earned

Reveal hidden contents

Silver 2500+ Points Earned

Reveal hidden contents

Bronze 1250+ Points Earned

Reveal hidden contents

I'm game, I have quite the backlog

• Like 1

Really cool event! I have a bunch of games I've been putting off playing, and maybe this'll kickstart my motivation! 

A quick question about DLCs, @Rebourne07, which I don't think was mentioned in the original post. Sometimes PSNProfiles has a guide for both the base game and the individual DLCs. A good example is Dead Cells, where there's a bunch of different guides with different ratings etc. 

But a lot of games have a guide for the base game, but not DLCs. For example, Layers of Fear or The Evil Within.

Would those DLCs not really be eligible? Or would they count under the base game guide (perhaps a little unfair, if the base game was very long and the DLCs are short though)?

Edited by Finch_III

On 12/27/2023 at 11:43 PM, WykydTorch said:

I wasn't planning on doing this, since it seemed like too much of a hassle to bother... but then I started looking at the point values on some of the games I plan on playing next year. Now I have, like, 7 games installing to try and get them on the board before the ball drops!

@Finch_III I don't mean to speak for Rebourne, but my understanding is that other trophy guide estimates should be fine to use if there isn't one on PSNP. The DLCs for Layers of Fear and The Evil Within look like they all have guides you could reference on PST. One of my big backlog projects for next year, Puzzling Places, doesn't have any sort of trophy guide at all, and I think that's the only case in which a game or DLC wouldn't be eligible for points. (Correct me if I'm wrong @Rebourne07)

• Like 1

Well thanks to the other challenge organised by Rebourne07 (Platinum Difficulty Challenge), I already have a few games from my backlog that are completed. And I think I am already in platinum tier 😅 If I didn't make a mistake while computing my score (fell free to correct me if I did), the total is 6484 points, thanks to my 3 top games scoring 6000+ points together.

@Rebourne07 Thanks for organising this challenge and the other one. It gave me the motivation to go back and finish Diablo IV and Slay the Spire. While the former was kind of a slug to complete, I had a blast revisiting Slay the Spire and succeeding all the challenges. It has a really fun trophy list, that might seem RNG at first, but once you gain more and more knowledge about the game, it is really satisfying to conceive plans to build towards unlocking those trophies and feels really rewarding!

Also, doing The Witness in 2 days while trying to use guides as little as possible is really straining. I think I will see squares, lines and dots everywhere for a few days 😅

All games are from before December 2023 except two that were started just before the end of the year.

The list will be very long because it includes all DLC except 2 for Dead by Daylight. See the second spoiler for details of points. All ratings and times come from psnp guides except for Flow since there isn't one on psnp (link added in the spoiler).

Spoiler

1. Dead by Daylight total points:  4134

Spoiler

- Base game: 6/10x150h = 900 points

- The Halloween® Chapter: 4/10x15h = 60 points

- The Lullaby for the Dark Chapter: 5/10x20h = 100 points

- Leatherface™: 3/10x5h = 15 points

- A Nightmare on Elm Street™ Chapter: 3/10x10h = 30 points

- Winter Solstice: 3/10x15h = 45 points

- The SAW Chapter: 4/10x15h = 60 points

- Curtain Call Chapter: 3/10x7h = 21 points

- SHATTERED BLOODLINES Chapter: 3/10x25h = 75 points