The PS5 and its controller are cheap manufactured overhyped garbage

ElektrickRage

I had dead zone problems with the PS5 controller that originally came with my first PS5, and then stick drift with the next PS5 controller I bought. A few of my PS5 controllers have also shown signs of buttons getting stuck, which can be a little irritating as well.

I also bought a DuelSense Edge controller a little after its release for $200, and was met with immediate issues regarding the grip material on the controller. Peeling away from where it’s meant to be glued down and bubbling after minimal use. A controller that expensive showing wear that soon is pretty comical coming from Sony. 

It’s crazy to me that a machine as expensive as the PS5, can have so many inconsistencies with its handheld controllers. I know this is just my personal experiences, but I have to eventually wonder to myself why I’ve had so many problems with PS5 controllers and nearly none with PS4 controllers. 

The normal controller is great tbh if you treat it properly, but it’s still technology at the end of the day and it can “fail”.

The dualsense edge however has to be the best feeling controller I’ve ever used and it’s hard to imagine using a normal dualsense ever again.

• Like 1

Literally the only issue I've had is with the batteries. They're too small, 1560mAh is not enough for all the features packed into it, but mine degraded quicker than any other controller battery has before. I recently bought replacement batteries off of Amazon, and they just got here yesterday so I've been putting the first controller through it's paces today. But before this, I was getting about an hour and a half of play time before I had to switch, and if the second controller died, the first one wasn't even done charging yet before I had to switch again. My DualShock 4's got to that point too...but it took them like 5 years to get that bad...DualSense took about 2. 

Stick drift hasn't been an issue. Using the program to test it, my sticks don't zero out anymore...but it's only been a minor issue in one game, which was Ni no Kuni II...where Evan would walk forward on his own, but just touching the stick again made it stop. I've NEVER had the rubber come off any of my controllers, so I really want to know how people play that have issues with that. 

So other than the shit batteries, that are purposely shit to get you to buy another controller...I love the DualSense. The Haptics are incredible, adaptive triggers can be a lot of fun, and it's just a perfect fit for my hands and I love the weight of it. 

Can't speak about the HDMI port, I've removed it maybe 3 times in 2 and a half years?...so it has no reason to be a problem. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Seems a little silly - "if you like it, great, but don't defend it”?

Alright then, let’s apply this to a different subject… The Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare III (2023) single player campaign.

As much as myself and many others may never comprehend why anybody would genuinely enjoy its campaign, these people exist regardless. Seriously, more power to them, but they’re part of a minority.

If not already, do look around. Everybody else isn’t very pleased with the product for several reasons (narrative, recycled Warzone maps, missions and so on). Although gamers have been complaining about the overall mediocre Call Of Duty franchise for over a decade now, only the most recent entry (originally planned as DLC for the game before that) just so happens to be the lowest of all the campaigns (yet!). It’s evident the publisher Activision, now property of Microsoft might I add, needs to do things differently to make it solidly good again however the minority of MWIII ‘23 campaign enjoyers I mentioned earlier aren’t helping them to be able to do that whether they are conscious of it or not. Perhaps I’m guilt tripping but not over nothing; the campaign in this most recent entry is, judging objectively, fucking shit and neither it or its publisher deserve praise for it from them or anybody, really.

Just like the story ofThe Emperor’s New Clothes, these cuckolds assume Activision Blizzard is a great, flawless AAA games publisher but upon proper, further observation that couldn’t be any more false.

TL; DR - Never excuse BS because we all deserve better.

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

..but the fact is, EVERY controller has been complained about ad-nauseum in some forum or other, and it's hard to take a thread seriously when it is so hyperbolic in tone, and when it comes from a user who seems only to create threads to lambast products that are demonstrably quite good. :dunno:

Fact yes.

However that very truth can be used to discredit all valid consumer concerns of stick drifting, wonky trigger spring etc., I don’t think such faults affected any first party controllers before the PS5 (and if it did, it certainly occurred nowhere near as much as it does with the DualSense). What will it take to address these new + casual problems if choosing not to purchase them isn’t an easy option (the lack of third party controllers into the ninth console generation’s third full year isn’t helping) and once more, I fail to see what good comes from enabling SIE’s arrogance in recent years besides record profits and arousing their shareholders.

12 hours ago, RoaringMdog18 said:

Really just going off about nothing with this one huh?

Going off? Maybe so.

About nothing? Nonsense.

As an owner of a DualSense Edge and two standard DualSense controllers (one white, the other black) these controllers aren’t as bad as replies to this topic well before mine would like you to believe but the ones addressing casual stick drifting, unreasonably low battery life and the spring on R2 when you can’t tell if it’s going to break or not (to name a few)? Justified.

Don’t believe me? You will once you’ve had em’ happen yourself (and if for whatever reason you still doubt me, that’s not my problem sorry).

12 hours ago, RoaringMdog18 said:

we can't disagree without it being bootlicking?

Incorrect.

Being entirely for or entirely against something is a bipartisan concept that is situational, therefore it cannot and should not be applied universally. I’m unsure where your assumption came from that I don’t believe one can simultaneously be open minded and bare standards sometimes.

Edited by Dry

The only Problem i have with the PS5 Controllers are the Stick Drift....

On PS3 never had that Problem, still play with my GOLDEN Ps3 Contoller since 2006.

ON PS4 i only had it on One Contoller.

I have like 5 Contollers now and the only one where no Stick Drift is is the one i have from Rocket Games it is a Scuf i think u call it with clicking buttons like a keyboard. yea very expensive.... but no Stick Drift.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:23 PM, JPtheNeurotic said:

So far my has been pretty good . I know my friends started drifting but he’s had his way longer than mine ( I got the mw2 ps5 bundle for whatever that’s worth .) and I did catch him throwing  Controller once soooooooo

smashes controller off wall multiple times 

few hours later creates forum saying dual sense is terrible and has drift 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:01 PM, brightd00d said:

Especially the PS5 controller that comes with the ps5, within a month it started to have stick drift.

Mine took 18 months to do that on the right stick [ camera ] so I had to buy another one [ Crimson Red ] so its okay but I have chosen to use a DS4 for PS4 games to maybe save the DS5's life a bit. 

Stick drift is definitely a thing and those that never experience it are blessed. Ironically the white controller the console came with gives me no issues, but the slightly newer black model is giving me severe drift issues.

other than that, the battery life was terrible so I found some 4000 mah batteries that have essentially doubled the battery life.

I’ve been pretty happy with the controllers otherwise! I try to be gentle with the usb ports 

• Like 1

So far I haven’t had any issues with stick drift. I think that issue is more tied to a faulty unit you might have gotten.

Personally, I think the dual sense is leaps and bounds the best PS controller to date related to comfort, and the haptics.

The battery life is a real problem tho, and it could use some work.

Other than that, it boils down to what types of games you play, and how you treat your controller.

From the top of my head, fighters and button mashers will kill it pretty fast.

When i got my ps5 the pad i got with it the r2 buttons spring for the adaptive trigger broke i sent it to sony and they replaced it with the newer version with a new 1year warranty, i had to talk with a live chat via playstation web site but other than that i have had no problems oyea and it was free

I can understand your hate, yes, i consider the ps5 a great console, but that being said, my first dual sense got drifting after around 8 or 10 months, and some time after, the sony hdmi cable got some weird lines, but it was the cable problem, but it was super weird because the cable worked fine in other tvs and hardware, but connected to the ps5 those lines appeared, and other hdmi cables work fine with the console.

Also some time after i bought another dual sense and after a year it started with little drifting, not as awful as the first one, but annoying when it randomly happens, dont know if its a game type in particular or long gaming sessions, but its a pain, great tech, amazing design, but the life span of the technology is not the best, and thats a shame because i didnt experience anything similar with anothe sony console.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/9/2024 at 1:48 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Seems a little silly - "if you like it, great, but don't defend it"?

wouldn't the counter argument be "If you don't like it, fine, but don't complain about it?"

I like the controller personally - not sure if that is taken as "Bootlicking", or "blissfully ignoring the flaws of such an overpriced product".... but then, I haven't actually experienced any of the issues people are complaining about, so why would I complain about them? I am ignorant to them. Literally.

I don't doubt that some folks do get issues with the controllers - they are a disposable consumable device, so of course there will be flaws in some, the same as there are in all consumer electronics - particularly in user-input-heavy, disposable devices, and it's right that those folks should be annoyed when that happens...

..but the fact is, EVERY controller has been complained about ad-nauseum in some forum or other, and it's hard to take a thread seriously when it is so hyperbolic in tone, and when it comes from a user who seems only to create threads to lambast products that are demonstrably quite good. :dunno:

It’s manufactured garbage from my experience and that’s the TRUTH for me. You can make up your own opinion. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. And what you mean I only create threads to lambast products? That’s all I do? Wow. Look at the forum cop stalker keeping the peace. 😂 Lol, what’s your problem with me really? I might shut on trophies, but I am hardly not going out of my way to criticise every fault of a product as you describe… so you don’t like it sue me.

Edited by ElektrickRage

Big improvements all around with every gen console, it cannot be disputed.  Yes they do remove features we like, but that is SONY in general, they arent out to get us gamers.

The controllers are more personal so there will be room for debate on that topic.

Personally:

PS5 with the ability to use a DS4 would be my preference.  I never had issues with the DS4 controller, but can feel some pains in the wrist and fingertip joints from the DS5, wish I could use the DS4 because i may have to stop playing if pains get worse.  I have big hands and I cant imagine how kids would use the DS5 comfortably.  I would also turn off all the adaptive trigger, speaker etc stuff on the controller to save you some power.  I keep mine plugged into a USB port on my gaming chair so I never have to charge it.

Edited by audiopile

15 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...but when you look as a location where ratings are simple "quick hit" numbers, the proof that dissatisfaction is generally the exception, rather than the rule, seems to be pretty much resounding:

Screenshot-2024-01-09-at-07-56-24.png

I’m not exactly a full believer in online star ratings without additional context such as the above example.

Nine times out of ten I’m convinced the vast majority of users (at least those of the PS Store) who care about them only ever give products they’ve purchased five stars for liking a product even slightly, otherwise if the product is exceptionally bad (The Lord Of The Rings: Gollum, Skull Island: Rise Of Kong being two obvious examples from last year) then a lot more will be willing to give just one star. In many cases giving a two, three or four star rating is underrated.

PS: I don’t think it takes playing through the MWIII ‘23 campaign to agree that, for instance, the decision to recycle maps from one of the other, different game modes is a con and no, Sledgehammer pushing through with that as a consequence of the publisher’s refusal to go a full year without putting out a COD entry doesn’t render it forgivable.

14 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

… what?

If you’re perfectly fine with the Call Of Duty IP under its current management, at least be discreet about it.

Same goes for the PS5’s DualSense controller and it stick drifting among other mildly infuriating faults that either didn’t exist or weren’t so much of a problem for prior first party controllers. Myself and others simply wouldn’t have replied to this topic, likely too nor would the OP have created it, if only not for the aforementioned issues not persisting.

I’m out.

8 hours ago, Dry said:

If you’re perfectly fine with the Call Of Duty IP under its current management, at least be discreet about it.

Are you guys just grasping at whatever you can find?

Like, how did you come to that conclusion? Call of Duty is, and has been at its lowest points since 2019 imo & I find it laughable how popular it still is. Just blatantly being such a money hungry piece of “entertainment” whose sole purpose is money. More so than any other game I can think of.

But yes.

Because I was confused why you dragged in some random game to a conversation about a controller that means I’m a COD shill.

Edit:

oh. That’s too funny. Checking your profile and it’s just filled to the brim with more games than I can think of whose sole purpose of trophy number go higher.

But yes, COD bad, taco run #749950104 is an amazing piece of art

Edited by OmegaRejectz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

This feels like a thread between people who treat their controllers poorly  and those who don't.  I've been using the same controllers I bought when I first purchased my PS5 with no issues

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Edit:

oh. That’s too funny. Checking your profile and it’s just filled to the brim with more games than I can think of whose sole purpose of trophy number go higher.

But yes, COD bad, taco run #749950104 is an amazing piece of art

If someone told you drinking too much alcohol is a terrible habit to get yourself into, would you doubt that person’s advice simply because they’re an ex-alcoholic?

Keeping myself from responding to this forum post/reply to stay true to my claim from earlier that I’m done with this topic was difficult, not gonna lie. However the silver lining be that I can sleep a little better knowing I’m not the only at least remotely dense user here and now.

For real, please don’t you or anybody else make me come back here to comment once more.

Edited by Dry

I just wish they gave us the option to play PS5 games using a DualShock 4. Also, one year warranty is truly a shame, since we have three years for GPUs costing 1/3.

About the controllers, the DualSense's are just too heavy and loud (I can hear some gears moving inside them, I have three).

However, the console itself is simply great. For the first time ever, we got a console that is equivalent to most mid-end computers.

The PS1 and PS2 were OK at best, the PS3 was unnecessarily complex but too difficult to program for. The PS4 was easy to develop for but obsolete at launch.

I paid R$ 3.067,00 (USD 628.00 converted, for comparison) for my PlayStation 5 and could never build a computer with the same features for this value.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dry said:

If someone told you drinking too much alcohol is a terrible habit to get yourself into, would you doubt that person’s advice simply because they’re an ex-alcoholic?

Keeping myself from responding to this forum post/reply to stay true to my claim from earlier that I’m done with this topic was difficult, not gonna lie. However the silver lining be that I can sleep a little better knowing I’m not the only at least slightly dense user here and now.

For real, please don’t you or anybody else make me come back here once more.

No. Also, is that really a great analogy? Because when I checked I didn’t go back years and years to find a ton of awful shovelware games and then claim that. You STILL play those games.

Nice insult. Thanks. You must really hate the DualSense.

idk. Doesn’t seem that hard to do. Seems you’ll get riled up by just about anything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1