[Debunked] XBOX Game Starfield among others coming to PS5 Q3

• Tim has heard that Call of Duty may not be coming to game pass
  • Hardware sales have not met the projected sales and the CFO got spooked
  • In the last three months of last year, they had consoles for $350 and no one cared
  • Xbox One was more wanted than Series consoles
  • They said the hardware is dead, and they are seeing declines in hardware year over year
  • Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost
  • Tim heard from someone at Microsoft that you may not like Xbox when they get Activision. They want ROI.
  • He heard that Xbox has an insane showcase with tons of games, but everyone is going to be saying asterisks
  • The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry
  • Microsoft now has no problem buying more companies in the future if all games go to all platforms
  • Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1754361009215541532

• Like 2

This was already to be expected at some point, what a waste of discussions I’ve had with my friend.

I understand people was massively excited by the big moves from Microsoft, but anyone that slightly understands business income knows it was a pretty far shot going the Gamepass route, financially put simply it doesn’t hold unless you have the whole market. And there was no way in their dreams they can take the cake from Nintendo and Sony, not even by making Elder Scrolls VI exclusive, which they won’t and if they do it’ll be temporally, is just so much money left behind that is simply a stupid financial move.

Xbox will never reach the amount of brand loyalty Nintendo (which has the most due to targeting childs which are the most impactful moments of life) and Sony, it takes decades of good practices and know how for that.

Simply put, they started saying: “we are not winning console wars, we want Gamepass on each platform”. And then you already knew, they were going to take the financial logic route. As wether they are able to put Gamepass on each platform, thats their best shot and we’ll see how they do it, if they ever do.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Games that should have been coming to PlayStation to begin with will now continue to do so

THANK YOU!!!! this is exactly what i've been trying to explain to people these games are BETHESDA games that we should've actually got regardless of the acquisition. And now we're finally going to get bethesda games. i doubt people are excited about sea of thieves or halo. give us what we should have gotten to begin with!  

Like others have said already I also think that part of the problem is the day one in game pass system they're using.

I don't think it's the way to motivate the studios that are willing to put their games into game pass to actually make good games, they earn less, they probably get even more time pressure on top of what investors already do. The one game pass game I've played that happend to be on PS5 too is Pay Day 3 and it sucked big time. It felt like a trial version for the full game I can get in 3 years or so after they've made all the money spend back with DLC sales.

It feels like an unhealty system from the outside, but that's just my two cents.

Sony gets me to buy a lot of DLC just because I get the game free with my subscribtion (I have PS Premium) and the extra few bucks to satisfy the completionist in me still makes them my sub money + let's say 15 bucks for a DLC.

That doesn't mean though that I'm not willing to pay full price for amazing games like God of War or Spider-Man, and from looking at the numbers of units sold I'm not the only person that feels like that.

There's a few XBOX exclusives I'm interested in and I've been thinking about getting another console a few times now, but I always find something that fits whatever genre I want to play atm on PlayStation. In a perfect world for me as a gamer, exclusives shouldn't exist, gaming brings people together and the games and platform we play on should follow that example. I've met and become friends with people all over the world, people I would have never met otherwise just by playing games with them, and I'm not mad if I can include XBOX players, PC players or whoever wants to join the party :D 

I'm fine with timed exclusives, that's just part of the game if you have more than one company selling consoles, but I like how Sony is porting more and more games to PC... you can argue about the quality of the ports sometimes, but I think it's the right direction. 

I gave it a couple hours on the Series X via GamePass before I quit and never returned. It just wasn't at all intriguing and got dull very, very fast.

In good news, this info at least means we may still get ES6 on the PS5 (or PS6), fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:35 PM, Cerber108 said:

Huh, I'll gladly play Gears and Halos, Sony has no damn FPSs. So there is hope for TES6, F5 and Dishonored 3 releases for PS.

I truly believe Halo would thrive on PS. (I mean it’s still popular on Xbox/PC.) I could easily see Halo Infinite MP coming to PS5 considering it’s a free live service game and it really seems Sony has no interest in reviving Resistance or Killzone. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:29 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Gamepass just doesn't seem to be expanding at the rate they would need it to to represent any kind of realistic financial model.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:45 AM, ziggypossum said:

Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost

I am shocked, shocked!!!!! It's not like some of us have been saying this for years now or anything, nope.

GP has never at any point made sense to me for 1 simple reason. Unlike other subscription services people compare it to (Netflix, music streaming, whatever) gaming isn't consumed in the same way. You need casual/mainstream numbers for something like GP to work, but, the more casual you go with video games the less number of games someone is actually playing. Like my next door neighbor has a PS5, but the dude only plays like 2 games a year (whatever new CoD is out plus maybe some first party AAA game like Spider Man or God of War.) People like him are the norm and they just aren't going to sub to one of these services.

That is not to say no one finds it appealing, it's just, the amount of people who do want to play a lot of different games but have those games be basically completely random picks they have no control over, is a pretty small audience imo.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:45 AM, ziggypossum said:

Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers

As terrible as this sounds I actually think they might have more success if GP was free but ad supported honestly. But if the plan is to just throw ads into a paid sub service they're going to bleed subs. A lot of people will not be cool with that.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:05 AM, Peaches said:

Interesting. I just hope this doesn't mean Microsoft is going the SEGA path. A console monopoly for Sony might be the worst thing that can happen. It's not like they aren't above greed (pay to play online, raise the price of PS+, etc.) Less competition is bad for all gamers. 

Now if this just means getting rid of exclusives, I'd be down for that. It's kind of slowly happening with Sony and Microsoft releasing their "exclusives" on PC anyway. 

Totally agree. Gamers deserve a choice. Didn't like PS3, but it was okay as I went to Xbox 360. The console warriors would have Xbox wiped out. That'd be a terrible outcome, in my view. Like, I wouldn't want to be in a position where the, for example, PS7 was dogshit and ran games worse than an Xbox and there was just no console alternative. It'd be like if Xbox 360 didn't exist and so, I'm stuck on PS3 playing the worst version of Skyrim (it ran worse than Xbox 360). 

Who the fuck in their right mind believes LESS consoles is a good thing? The fucking console warriors who wanna argue over which piece of plastic is better.

Edited by AlonMercer
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, AlonMercer said:

Who the fuck in their right mind believes LESS consoles is a good thing?

People who pay attention and can tell that Microsoft's consoles aren't really providing significant competition to Sony in the first place, and haven't done so since the 360? Or that Sony themselves hardly pay Xbox any attention on the console front specifically? Even Microsoft is aware of this, which is why they're more focused on Game Pass. lol

Every single person parroting this "competition is good" nonsense in these threads (it is, but it's not really applicable here lmao), or generalizing every person that wants Xbox gone as being "console warriors", is either naïve or being disingenuous. Put two and two together, look at what's happened up until this point and what Microsoft has done or been caught/admitting to doing. It's not that hard.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

People who pay attention and can tell that Microsoft's consoles aren't really providing significant competition to Sony's, and haven't done so since the 360?  Even Microsoft is aware of this, which is why they're more focused on Game Pass. lol

Nah man, Xbox does backwards compatibility way better than PlayStation. Wouldn't wanna see Xbox die for that alone. Yes, Xbox's exclusives have been dogshit. But man, I can't play a bunch of games from my teens that I played on Xbox. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas... You can't play these games on PlayStation (and that might change but we're talking currently). 

Where's Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Where are the fucking 7th Gen games that were never ported??? Xbox doesn't have that issue.

By the way, are you wanna 'those' people? One of those toxic PlayStation fanboys someone else brought up? I used to be like that. But it's a shortsighted way of looking at things.

Edited by AlonMercer
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, AlonMercer said:

Nah man, Xbox does backwards compatibility way better than PlayStation. Wouldn't wanna see Xbox die for that alone. Yes, Xbox's exclusives have been dogshit. But man, I can't play a bunch of games from my teens that I played on Xbox. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas... You can't play these games on PlayStation (and that might change but we're talking currently). 

Where's Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Where are the fucking 7th Gen games that were never ported??? Xbox doesn't have that issue.

By the way, are you wanna 'those' people? One of those toxic PlayStation fanboys someone else brought up? I used to be like that. But it's a shortsighted way of looking at things.

Their BC is better, but that's not really relevant to what I was saying either as that hasn't really impacted how well they're "competing".

Nope, I just think Microsoft is a legitimately evil company and doing far more harm at this point than good to be worth keeping around. But I also don't think their place in the console market is important to Sony or even to themselves at this point (again, Game Pass), so them leaving the console space won't have nearly as much of an effect as people like to pretend it will. Nothing shortsighted about it, just being realistic. Nintendo and Sony are on my shit list for different reasons, but not to the same extent because of Microsoft's actions as of late.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3