Microsoft Games Are Going Third Party (Hi-Fi Rush/Pentiment/Sea of Thieves/Grounded release dates confirmed)

Rozalia1

16 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

They already have Minecraft and all its future spin-offs set to still be multiplat so it's not like this isn't something they weren't already doing.

They tried, but didn't have a choice with minecraft.  They admitted as much in court.  Dont paint them as the good guys in this example for having 1 big IP multi-platform when it wouldn't be if they had their way

If they announce they're leaving the console space that would be a catastrophic tsunami for the industry.

No, it absolutely wouldn't be.  They can still publish all their properties and drop the console money pit that hasn't been working for years.

11 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

MS is making 70% profit off of two of the top current game franchises on PlayStation,

Which games are these? Source?  

By the way, Spiderman isn't a good example to use. Sony owns Spiderman licensing rights, not Marvel. The only sony/marvel deal that I'm aware of is for marvel to use Spiderman in the mcu movies

Edited by AJ_-_808
Missed a word
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Whatever deal Sony and Marvel had could stay in place, just they treat the release on other platforms like any other third party release. Sony's games released on Xbox would net MS the usual 30% with Sony/Marvel splitting the rest and vice-versa for Microsoft's games on PlayStation.

MS is making 70% profit off of two of the top current game franchises on PlayStation, I don't see why PlayStation wouldn't want to do the same. Porting costs would be peanuts and we all know Spider-Man would sell millions on Xbox and it would be to mostly people that were never going to buy a PS5.

You would see an overall boost in all Marvel related game sales just for people to see how all this is connected much like with the MCU movies. Sony can use the growth of sales as a way to lower the license to securing other potential Marvel IPs to their studios like Punisher to Naughty Dog or Ghost Rider to Santa Monica.

At some point all these game specific characters could be blended into a major End Game type of game and be an absolutely bananas project.

I feel the pros outweigh the cons.

Do I actually think this will happen? Definitely not. As a fan of games and comics I really wish it would though.

No, I understand they would make the 70%. I just dont understand why Disney would turn down the 109M exclusivity license fee theyre getting for Wolverine, as an example, for their cut (iirc about 28%) of that 70%. They would need to move an additional 10M full price units on Xbox to make that break even, which I really dont think they would, and thats guaranteed vs. the risk of actually having to sell the 10M. Those numbers get even worse for other stuff that was in the leaks.

I mean, it would be interesting from the actual game POV. But, personally and this is obviously just opinion, the big shared universes are getting long in the tooth. I am already a little stupified that Insomniac is only making Marvel for the next ten years. The idea that teams like Santa Monica or Naughty Dog would also just make Marvel games seems dire, again personal opinion. We're getting to the point where it would just be nice to get some new stuff rather than the sequel/adaption-itis the industry (and Sony) are mucked up in rn.

Edited by boaly2008
grammar
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

They tried, but didn't have a choice with minecraft.  They admitted as much in court.  Dont paint them as the good guys in this example for having 1 big IP multi-platform when it wouldn't be if they had their way

No, it absolutely wouldn't be.  They can still publish all their properties and drop the console money pit that hasn't been working for years.

Which games are these? Source?  

By the way, Spiderman isn't a good example to use. Sony owns Spiderman licensing rights, not Marvel. The only sony/marvel deal that I'm aware of is for marvel to use Spiderman in the mcu movies

I'm just saying none of being multiplat is out of the ordinary for them.

We saw what Sony did when they thought they were completely unopposed going off the high of the PS2's insane dominance when announcing the $599.99 PS3. Since someone else brought up the leaks already, we know Sony was considering raising game prices to $100. With no alternative high end console for people to turn to, Sony could 100% raise prices. The industry would be in free fall.

Call of Duty and Minecraft.

Movie rights. Sony doesn't own rights for any other purposes. Sony wasn't giving permission to Activsion to have Spider-Man in Marvel Ultimate Alliance or to Capcom for MvC.

SpongeBob Narrator: One day later.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/sony-gaming-margin-questioned-after-ps5-sales-cut-sparks-stock-plunge.html

They're not burning but still not great.

The margins have been explained and yet you keep pushing this nonsense. You can ignore people exposing your nonsense if you like, but readers can see what you're doing and you'll only look bad as a result. Why not have some integrity and actually admit to being wrong?

Why not just pick up a Series X if you have the money? I assume you know about the BC program so plenty of your old 360 games could be playable on there. Added benefit of any exclusives that you missed out after you got rid of your Xbox One. Could continue to use your PlayStation consoles for everything else.

As for what any of this means for the future industry, not much. A couple small negligible games won't lead to anything substantial. MS gets more money and more people get to play these games, it's a win-win. They already have Minecraft and all its future spin-offs set to still be multiplat so it's not like this isn't something they weren't already doing.
If they announce they're leaving the console space that would be a catastrophic tsunami for the industry.

Your comments are bad enough, but trying to sell Xboxs is a new low.

No, there would be no catastrophic tsunami for a bad actor ceasing to have a platform. PlayStation and Nintendo don't need tasteless Microsoft around to put out good products. They have these things called cultures within their companies that lend them to creative pursuits, something missing from soulless Xbox.

MLB The Show.

If it was generating enough revenue then Sony wouldn't have been forced to port it.

I have a theory that Spider-Man/Wolverine will come to Xbox and that Blade is going to also come out on PlayStation so Marvel can build up a shared game universe. This all stems from that announcement trailer they showed at the game awards with no platform logos at the end, something MS hasn't done before. This being from long before this new "strategy change" and MS porting some of their old games. Spider-Man 2 didn't reach sales expectations so that just makes this seem a little more likely.

So let us get this straight. Disney was willing to allow Indiana Jones to be Xbox exclusive even though it'd mean giving up all of the possible money on PlayStation... but they're suddenly going to want a cut of the pittance on Xbox and demand that future Spider-Man games be multiplatform? Make it make sense.

Spider-Man 2 also reached sales expectations and you know this. Stop spreading FUD.

21 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Do I actually think this will happen? Definitely not. As a fan of games and comics I really wish it would though.

There is an obvious third reason that trumps those listed. Why not just admit it?

2 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

We saw what Sony did when they thought they were completely unopposed going off the high of the PS2's insane dominance when announcing the $599.99 PS3. Since someone else brought up the leaks already, we know Sony was considering raising game prices to $100. With no alternative high end console for people to turn to, Sony could 100% raise prices. The industry would be in free fall.

Really going all out I see. Why demean yourself in this manner?

The PS3 had the CELL and Blu-ray technologies which being brand new meant that even at your listed price PlayStation was still losing a fortune on every console sold. You know this, but more important than the truth is trying to make out that PlayStation was simply trying to scam people by overcharging on their console.

Again, spreading misinformation to attack PlayStation. Shameless. The $100 story was spread by Xbox influencers based off combining the price of two planned games (a side game and multiplayer game), the logic being that PlayStation would be splitting 1 game into 2 games so they could make more money. I'm certain that you know this, but going by your behaviour thus far I'm sure you are once again being purposely dishonest.

Wrong again. Xbox existed in the market and was even doing their good boy act and PlayStation didn't care and raised their prices regardless. Xbox after doing their PR, waited a short while, and then raised the prices themselves as they had been waiting for PlayStation to raise it first. This has already been established. What has also been established is the fact that PC/Nintendo/others still exist and not wanting to lose market share to them will cause PlayStation to turn into this tyrant you're making out. Also as you just brought up history, what exactly did PlayStation do to game prices after dominating with the PS1 and then further dominating with the PS2? Prices lowered during those generations. Absolutely everything is against your narrative, but again, the truth is unimportant to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

I'm just saying none of being multiplat is out of the ordinary for them.

The PS3 was new expensive technology that, in hindsight, maybe wasn't the best development path.  Especially since it was still sold at a loss.  Had nothing to do with market dominance

Call of Duty and Minecraft.

Dude... 30% is a standard.  MS didn't make Minecraft multiplatform out of kindness or money. Mojang forced them.  And Call of Duty.. really?  They (MS, not xbox) spent 70billion to buy up ABK to "enjoy 70%" of the profits from one of the biggest selling game franchises. Again, not multi platform for the reason youre selling.  

Movie rights. Sony doesn't own rights for any other purposes. Sony wasn't giving permission to Activsion to have Spider-Man in Marvel Ultimate Alliance or to Capcom for MvC.

Contracts were renegotiate a few years ago that may have included some console rights, but fair chance I'm wrong there.  Dunno, ask Disney what their licensing plans are?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

The margins have been explained and yet you keep pushing this nonsense. You can ignore people exposing your nonsense if you like, but readers can see what you're doing and you'll only look bad as a result. Why not have some integrity and actually admit to being wrong?

Your comments are bad enough, but trying to sell Xboxs is a new low.

Yeah, they've been explained that they're low. That's generally not a good thing.

I sell all games to everyone you moron. I've told multiple people they should buy a PS5 because I believe it aligned with what I think they would enjoy.

I'm not even wasting my time replying to everything else because you're such an over the top goofy.

7 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Dude... 30% is a standard.  MS didn't make Minecraft multiplatform out of kindness or money. Mojang forced them.  And Call of Duty.. really?  They (MS, not xbox) spent 70billion to buy up ABK to "enjoy 70%" of the profits from one of the biggest selling game franchises. Again, not multi platform for the reason youre selling.

Contracts were renegotiate a few years ago that may have included some console rights, but fair chance I'm wrong there.  Dunno, ask Disney what their licensing plans are?

When did I say it was out of kindness? I was saying Microsoft is making money off of PlayStation users, Sony in turn could do the same thing. They're making money off MLB being on Xbox. Spider-Man would make them a shitload more in comparison.

Sony never had anything other than movie rights. It's like how Universal has the Hulk movie rights. Marvel can license out both Hulk and Spider-Man to whoever they want for any other purposes outside of a feature length film. Sony does currently have a temporary license for SM, Wolverine and the X-Men solo games but that's subject to renewals.

• Confused 3

When did I say it was out of kindness? I was saying Microsoft is making money off of PlayStation users, Sony in turn could do the same thing. They're making money off MLB being on Xbox. Spider-Man would make them a shitload more in comparison.

You didn't, but you keep pitching this as good guy Xbox and bad guy Sony by the way you phrase your arguments.  Microsoft would keep both as exclusive if they could, so I'm not so sure the money they make off it is the selling point? Same with Sony and MLB - it wasn't their choice.

Sure, Sony could make their 30% cut from porting to xbox, I doubt it'd be a "shitload" more.  Currently it seems Sony finds more value in keeping it exclusive.  By that note, XBox could make more sales by moving Halo & Gears to PSN, so why haven't they? For the same reason.  Again, if they felt the money was worth it, then neither console would keep exclusives.  In a perfect world, all 3 could get along well enough to port everything over after a few years, but currently, none of them see enough value in it.  XBox is only exploring the idea now out of, in my opinion, desperation.

Sony never had anything other than movie rights. It's like how Universal has the Hulk movie rights. Marvel can license out both Hulk and Spider-Man to whoever they want for any other purposes outside of a feature length film. Sony does currently have a temporary license for SM, Wolverine and the X-Men solo games but that's subject to renewals.

Technically,  neither of us know the details of the renegotiated contract, but I thought we were moving past that. I already said my info was probably not correct and it became moot?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

You didn't, but you keep pitching this as good guy Xbox and bad guy Sony by the way you phrase your arguments.  Microsoft would keep both as exclusive if they could, so I'm not so sure the money they make off it is the selling point? Same with Sony and MLB - it wasn't their choice.

Sure, Sony could make their 30% cut from porting to xbox, I doubt it'd be a "shitload" more.  Currently it seems Sony finds more value in keeping it exclusive.  By that note, XBox could make more sales by moving Halo & Gears to PSN, so why haven't they? For the same reason.  Again, if they felt the money was worth it, then neither console would keep exclusives.  In a perfect world, all 3 could get along well enough to port everything over after a few years, but currently, none of them see enough value in it.  XBox is only exploring the idea now out of, in my opinion, desperation.

Technically,  neither of us know the details of the renegotiated contract, but I thought we were moving past that. I already said my info was probably not correct and it became moot?

I'm not pitching anything, that's how you're choosing to read into it. I've said it blankly on here before, they're all evil companies and none of them care about any of us.

It would sell millions easy. Not as much as on PlayStation but it would be enough for all parties involved to make it worth it.

I think MS is just generating some extra revenue, I wouldn't really call it desperation. Do you think launching Pentiment on to PS5 will make up for the fact the Xbox Series is one of their worst performing consoles yet? I don't. I think SoT out of the four will be the biggest get but again not enough. Halo and Gears multiplats could be in the works but both of those developers have multiple things already going on.

You left an air of uncertainty about it. It's super common knowledge that it was only movies. Whenever I see someone online mention that Sony owns the games rights, someone else will always be correcting them two seconds later that they only have them for movies. The renegotiation thing you brought up apparently involved Netflix. So Netflix is going to be streaming the movies or might get an exclusive movie, maybe both.

• Confused 2

57 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I'm not pitching anything, that's how you're choosing to read into it. 

I read it the way you wrote it, and im not the only one.

It would sell millions easy. Not as much as on PlayStation but it would be enough for all parties involved to make it worth it.

Clearly not, since they haven't done so yet.  

I think MS is just generating some extra revenue, I wouldn't really call it desperation. Do you think launching Pentiment on to PS5 will make up for the fact the Xbox Series is one of their worst performing consoles yet?

Didn't say it would. I think this may be their first step to opening a floodgates and potentially move away from consoles and more into publishing.  I think the 4 titles they're offering up is more about damage control and testing the waters at this point.  I think their first 2 "big exclusive acquisition" launches failed and maybe someone is unnerved.  Right or wrong, I seriously doubt Sony or Nintendo will suddenly change their stance because Xbox is flailing its arms.  If it made sense to them money wise, then it'd be a thing already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I read it the way you wrote it, and im not the only one.

Read it whatever way makes you happy.

If you're up in your feelings about this, then that's on you and whoever else.

Fun fact about my Marvel multiplat theory, I wrote about it on an Xbox forum and several people there called me a PlayStation fanboy. So if the PlayStation people are saying I'm an Xbox fanboy for saying I think Spider-Man could be Xbox and the Xbox people are saying I'm a PlayStation fanboy for saying I think Blade could be on PlayStation, I wonder what the rest of us can deduce from that.

• Confused 1

@mcnichoj

I'm going to ask you nicely. Please stop. You're spreading misinformation and then disregarding anything that exposes it at false, and if a person like myself does it strongly enough, you throw out an insult on top.

Your derailment tactics haven't gone unnoticed either. You're trying to steer a topic that ultimately makes Microsoft look weak/bad, into one that makes PlayStation look weak/bad and shields Microsoft. Xbox going multiplatform showing the weakness of their platform? Nope, because Sony will be doing multiplatform too, so Xbox is ahead of the game obviously. Microsoft known for doing bad things? Claim #SonyToo and spread debunked lies and narratives of PlayStation being some big tyrant, something that only good boy Microsoft is holding back today for the good of all humanity. No one has joined you in support, but obviously that is not the only goal as simply being a big enough annoyance to stop people posting is good enough.

Also no, we don't want to hear whatever generic defences you have for yourself. 'I game on everything', 'Xbox guys call me a PlayStation fan', 'I'm a PC guy', or whatever else you got. Your dishonesty is going to mean people don't believe you, but even if it were true, it only makes you look worse anyway. If you're acting in this way to Xbox guys too then it just shows you don't believe in anything and are just in it to troll people. Now you might get the Xbox guys mad, but here? People can see right through you.

If you want to continue in the thread please get back on the topic. #SonyToo is not the topic and we've entertained it enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

I'm pretty sure Sony only holds the movie rights to Spider-Man. Not the character as a whole.

this is correct Sony own rights to produce Spider-Man media but currently has a on going deal with marvel for Spider-Man to appear in MCU 

1 hour ago, blue_blur_98 said:

Video's private now but Hi-Fi Rush on PS5 has been officially(ish) confirmed. There was an unlisted Spanish trailer on Bethesda's YouTube page. Expect an official announcement soon (maybe).

It's coming to ps5 on 18 March.

https://insider-gaming.com/hi-fi-rush-playstation-5-announcement/

looks like grounded is coming on 16 April.

Edited by fenrir54565
  • Like 1

Perhaps slightly off-topic but could somebody please explain to me why the recent petition over Helldivers 2 not being on Xbox is such a big deal?

The four games offered are complete trash and I wouldn't start them even if payed. How about MS start offering something of equal worth, such as WH40K: Darktide or Obsidian's upcoming Awoved.

They acquired Activision Blizzard and Bethesda not long ago, and this move is supposed to rouse whom exactly?😏

11 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

Perhaps slightly off-topic but could somebody please explain to me why the recent petition over Helldivers 2 not being on Xbox is such a big deal?

The four games offered are complete trash and I wouldn't start them even if payed. How about MS start offering something of equal worth, such as WH40K: Darktide or Obsidian's upcoming Awoved.

They acquired Activision Blizzard and Bethesda not long ago, and this move is supposed to rouse whom exactly?😏

Phil Spencer straight up port begged for Helldivers 2 to the media, asking aloud 'who does it benefit for it to not be on Xbox?'. That would be why certain people (his cult members) latched on to it and started such a petition.

Starfield and other released games got them scared. Phil Spencer the warrior that he is no doubt thought that buying out these companies would mean that people would jump to Xbox, as his rank and file did. What actually happened however is PlayStation/Nintendo gamers just started ignoring the companies they buy out.

• Like 3

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02/21/new-platforms-new-players-xbox-games-switch-playstation/

MS confirms all 4 games in an official post with platforms and dates.

• Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.   
  • Hi-Fi RUSH, the award-winning and beloved rhythm-based action game where the world syncs to the music from Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks will be coming to PlayStation 5 on March 19 at midnight UTC, with pre-purchase available on PlayStation 5 digital storefronts on February 22.  
  • Grounded – also from Obsidian Entertainment – a co-op survival adventure phenomenon that has welcomed 20 million players into the backyard, will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on April 16. Cross play will be supported across Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.   
  • Sea of Thieves, the shared world adventure game from Rare, will be coming to PlayStation 5 on April 30 – and will be available to wishlist by PlayStation 5 players starting tomorrow, February 22. Having built a passionate community of more than 35 million players from around the world, the support of cross play for Xbox, PlayStation and PC will allow players to experience epic pirate adventures with friends on more platforms. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Phil Spencer straight up port begged for Helldivers 2 to the media, asking aloud 'who does it benefit for it to not be on Xbox?'. That would be why certain people (his cult members) latched on to it and started such a petition.

Starfield and other released games got them scared. Phil Spencer the warrior that he is no doubt thought that buying out these companies would mean that people would jump to Xbox, as his rank and file did. What actually happened however is PlayStation/Nintendo gamers just started ignoring the companies they buy out.

Helldivers first released almost ten years ago and I saw the potential right then and there. When I saw the first trailer of the sequel I was completely blown away - the cinematic was fantastic, and the gameplay even more so. It only goes to show how important it is to not only recognise talent but also keep it.

Again, if all MS has to offer is the above-mentioned titles, it either means they're not serious, or that they're simply completely out of touch.

Personally, I would vote for the latter.

• Like 2

Updated the OP with the release dates.

17 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

Helldivers first released almost ten years ago and I saw the potential right then and there. When I saw the first trailer of the sequel I was completely blown away - the cinematic was fantastic, and the gameplay even more so. It only goes to show how important it is to not only recognise talent but also keep it.

Again, if all MS has to offer is the above-mentioned titles, it either means they're not serious, or that they're simply completely out of touch.

How quickly these games are coming means that they didn't decide to start doing this a few weeks ago and they've been porting it for a while now. As you realise, it makes no sense to port just these games, so the rest are no doubt getting worked on to start releasing later this year. According to a leaker there is not a single upcoming game that isn't getting a PlayStation or Nintendo version made.

Also predictably there is no Hi-Fi Rush Switch version as people thought. Team green put forward that it'd totally be possible, just like they believe it'd be possible to put CoD on Switch too. Just turn the graphics down they say, all it takes to port stuff. Foolishness.

Side note. This announcement has caught Spencer in yet another lie. According to him in the last week from what I recall, Xbox was leaving it up to the studios to do their own individual announcements and yet now Xbox has announced it for them. There was absolutely no purpose in such a lie, but the man simply cannot help himself.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

No one has joined you in support

Because no one actually gives a shit.

You say whatever you want and talk like a James Bond villain, I reply with whatever and call you a clown but then nothing of what either of us says has any effect on the real world. Why would any rational person waste their time jumping in the middle of this?

5 hours ago, Mellenthin said:

It's the current hot new game. Slow game news cycle.

4 hours ago, Mellenthin said:

Sony didn't see that potential. They thought the sequel was just going to be another niche thing, no other reason why they keep hitting server caps.

Probably both. Also maybe an attempt to control the optics/narrative.

4 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Also predictably there is no Hi-Fi Rush Switch version as people thought. Team green put forward that it'd totally be possible, just like they believe it'd be possible to put CoD on Switch too. Just turn the graphics down they say, all it takes to port stuff. Foolishness.

Because fuck optimization? I guess when you're used to another company pushing out unoptimized ports, you expect everyone else to also.

If Witcher 3 and Crysis can be ported to Switch, then something like HFR is a non-issue. Tango most likely intentionally focused on optimizing for the PS5 first since they're familiar with PS5 architecture from doing Tokyo Ghostwire.

Edit:

Physical copies for Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment will be coming from Limited Run Games (ugh...)

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/pentiment

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4EFSSM7yky5YtXxLybpv9k/hi-fi-rush-comes-to-playstation-5-on-march-19

Edited by mcnichoj
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

No one has joined you in support

That’s at least partially because your threads reek of the same thing the censorship threads reeked of: Anyone that doesn’t fall in line with your narrative is borderline harassed until they stop posting. You don’t want anyone on your threads that doesn’t agree with your dramatic spin as your reply history has shown. 

Many of us don’t care for the crafted and overly anthropomorphized projections and are just skimming to parse if there actual factual events being presented and then dipping out of all the needless drama. 

I understand getting upvotes feeds confirmation bias and people equate that to being more correct, but sometimes people just don’t care enough about the arguments to click a button.

Microsoft is releasing four Xbox games on other platforms. 14 pages later, we’ve learned what they are. And as was said in the announcement there will likely be more. That’s a whole lot of pages of saying not much at all so the content bar is pretty low and calling other people out to stop posting on this rambling thread is a bit out of line. 

• Like 3