PS5 Pro leaked specs (corroborated and confirmed by Tom Henderson)

Eraezr

1 minute ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

PS6 is probably going to be a long ways to go. This next generation may be different. I read somewhere Sony doesn't make a whole lot with a complete new hardware console sale. Better to just reused old tech but overclock it.

I would certainly prefer the PS6 be far off, but the generations have been pretty consistent for decades. 

I went through so much BS to get a PS5 and there STILL are only a handful of actual PS5-only games. Souch is also on PS4. I genuinely don't want to see that again next generation.

• Like 1

I think a big focus of a PS5 Pro is that it’ll be the best way to play GTA 6 when that launches next year given rumors indicate it’ll come at the end of 2024. And some analysts are already predicting GTA 6 will be the biggest entertainment launch in history and potentially one of the most important for the video game industry given the current state of layoffs and studio closures.

GTA 6 could reinvigorate the industry to some extent given the money it’ll bring in and the increased attention it’ll generate for video games from the general public. Xbox has already stated they don’t plan to do a pro console this generation. And GTA 6 won’t come to pc for awhile so a PS5 Pro could fill an important purpose in that regard. 

• Like 3

We haven't gotten a single game that uses the full power of the PS5.

Insomniac is doing great work but I wanted to see Naughty Dog make boundary pushing game for PS5. 

This generation feels off, much like the PS3. Great games, sure, but held back on a technical level. 

• Like 4

The PS5 has only a few games that are exclusive to it and not cross gen so it seems kinda lame for now, I'll just stick with my recent acquired slim PS5 thanks.

14 minutes ago, ARIXANDRE said:

A common statement, but is it actually true? I mean, how many games have we seen recently struggle to hold a consistent and solid 60fps whilst in performance mode for example? Quite a few games off the top of my head. In some cases, we're also seeing bigger hits to fidelity and overall visual quality when choosing performance mode(s) than we were seeing earlier in the generation, which further reduces any advantage of picking performance mode to begin with. Ray Tracing has, in my opinion, also been vastly underutilised, which is understandable given it's a huge resource hog, but still it's something I expected to be implemented a bit more than it currently is. Even when it is implemented it's usually in a minimal manner. I don't think a lot of this is down to poor optimisation either, in some cases maybe but definitely not all. So all of this to me at least would seem to suggest that devs are already hitting the ceiling and are squeezing every bit of performance they can out of the current machines.

Current AAA games are simply too insane to expect a rock solid 60fps, 4K, with RT and all the other bells and whistles. There's been this compromise all generation long, with most games up until now giving you the option between better visuals or better performance. The problem now is that "better performance" isn't really better anymore, and even if you choose fidelity you're still compromising on something. It's only going to get worse until eventually, devs may not even offer a performance mode anymore. If a PS5 Pro can deliver a solid 60fps as a baseline on every game, and offer up more gains in fidelity too, then that could be reason enough for plenty of people to upgrade. Some people won't care, granted I don't particularly like the Pro model route we've gone down either, but I don't think a PS5 Pro is going to be as useless as some people are making it out to be. I can see plenty of people choosing to pick one up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F1rstinFlight said:

I think a big focus of a PS5 Pro is that it’ll be the best way to play GTA 6 when that launches next year given rumors indicate it’ll come at the end of 2024. And some analysts are already predicting GTA 6 will be the biggest entertainment launch in history and potentially one of the most important for the video game industry given the current state of layoffs and studio closures.

GTA 6 could reinvigorate the industry to some extent given the money it’ll bring in and the increased attention it’ll generate for video games from the general public. Xbox has already stated they don’t plan to do a pro console this generation. And GTA 6 won’t come to pc for awhile so a PS5 Pro could fill an important purpose in that regard. 

Yeah it's not simply just about the practicality for every single consumer but having that aura of being the cutting cultural edge of gaming of what's the new big AAA. And GTA 6 is THE AAA game.

It appears that Sony liked PS4 Pro's sales enough that they are doing this.

• Like 1

sounds perfect, I'm glad to see them talk about the issue of how bad FSR2 looks and providing a better replacement for devs, FSR2 is my main problem with PS5 games, it looks like pure dogshit, it destroys the detail in the image, can't wait for the Pro, I need Pro patches for RE4R and FF16 day one

also from the general specs, this looks like an Unreal Engine 5 box as the base PS5 seems to need too many compromises of the UE5 features to run it, but it should have no problem now on the Pro, we should see games take 100% advantage of all UE5 features

1 hour ago, ARIXANDRE said:

LOL, are you serious? why are some games still stuck at 30fps, or cant even push full 4k. If PS5 is so powerful it be solid 60fps no matter the game. 

Time for another TLoU remake, their vision will finally be achieved on this tech!

My mind goes to the UE5 demos from before the PS5 launch, and the Matrix one after the launch. And I'm not convinced that there have been games that looked close to that yet. When they announce Pro, they need to be careful with how they justify its existence, otherwise it will sound like "Actually this is the console that will make the promised graphical leap possible, not the one you bought a few years ago". 

Either way, I don't care. I'm too far behind on console generations. I'll continue to observe from the sidelines.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

I did go for PS4 Pro BITD. Do I care about PS5 Pro? MAYBE. I'm not sold on it yet. I need some answers... and I'll probably look for them on Youtube before I say yes or no.

Can it run Serious Sam 4 at a constant 60 FPS? Here you have a PS5 game that is playable but it really needed further optimisation. It does run better than the PS3 port of Sam3. But the framerate does drop somewhat in busier areas.

I'm curious how Crysis Remastered would play on it. The question is no longer "Can it run Crysis" (PS5 can) but more like "How well does PS5 Pro run Crysis". Using quality mode on 5, CR does fall into 50s or even mid 40s. Should Digital Foundry make a new performance test video comparing 5 to 5 Pro, I'll look at it.

Elden Ring's favor quality mode is not locked at 30 FPS, but rather 60. PS5 can't reliably hit 60 in FQM, so I've been playing it on favor performance. Pro better be able to lock in 60 on FQM with raytracing.

In the grand scheme of things the PS5 is old enough that this is justified but at the same time it really feels dumb, especially when they were just complaining about their profit margins shrinking so making another platform doesn't feel like the best move.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 2:10 AM, ARIXANDRE said:

Worse than that, we have seen plenty of game so poorly optimized that they produce lots of stutter.

Also, AI (machine learning) to upscale? I dont want to see 6 finger characters because they wont get the algorithm working as a sideeffect...

Or low quality because of movement, like it is with those cloud streaming games.

Nothing beats pure detail by detail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 10:53 PM, yowzagabowza said:

The 5Pro will somehow eclipse the 4Pro as being the most useless

PS4 Pro is miles better than standard PS4 imo, playing games in 60fps rather than 30fps is a huge yes. Games like Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider have some awful input lag in 30fps, digital foundry talk about it their review. On Pro in performance mode it's gone. Also boost mode makes a lot of non enhanced games that have issues on standard PS4 run at locked frame rates. 

Not gonna list everything but there's lots of other advantages, and it didn't cost much more than a standard PS4. 

The only problem and it's a big problem is the fan, hopefully they won't make that same mistake. 

Edited by GUDGER666

This console is made for elitists in a way. The PS5 now is showing to have problems in some games. Dragons Dogma 2, it has unlocked frame rate and is always around 30 fps and many times lower than that as reports say... FF 7 Rebirth the performance mode is god awfull in visuals that i play the 30fps mode becuase it just looks way more amazing. 

The new rise of ronin can't do 60fps in performance mode. FF16 performance mode is 720p and sometimes lower... Plague games also don't reach 60fps and struggle a lot to even maintain 30fps. Dead Space remake, Alan Wake 2 and Elden Ring... I can keep going on games that have performance issues and low resolutions, not even go about Ray Tracing.

Also Unreal Engine 5... Not gonna go about details on how PS5 can't hold a fully developted game on this engine, it would go to the PS4 OG standart. 1080p 30fps. 

This year there was only one game that got perfect 60fps and 4k on PS5 and that was Persona 3 Reload. (Talking about the "big" releases not indies). 

But even still the PS5 is a great console, and i don't see many people going for the PRO model. It just serves to those who really want 60fps all the time and the 4k resolution, the improvement for many does not serve the cost. These sources are booting PS5 PRO model to be 600 Dollars (Digital version), but i think the price will be around 700-800 to be honest. Due to inflation and also the costs of building said console are high. Nowadays chips don't drop in price as much for companies who build them. The PS5 is still selling without profit for SONY 4 years later... Most revenue comes from software sales. 

• Like 1