What's your game of the last decade? (2011 - 2020)

Paleblood

Hitman: World of Assassination

It’s not ever really close, for me.

• Has more content than any 5 games put together
  • Has one of the best UGC implementations of any game in the form of contracts mode
  • Has humour, stealth, action, narrative, emergent storytelling, puzzle game elements and immersive sim elements all rolled into one
  • Has some of the best environmental design of any game
  • Is constantly revealing and rewarding new, clever ways to solve problems
  • Plays well, looks great, never gets old
  • Has more modes than you can shake a stick at
  • Has a fully robust, well implemented in-game challenge system, meaning you have hundreds of hours of meaningful progression long after the trophies are done
  • Is still supported with new or limited content years after initial release
  • Hs an entire, 100+ hour long rogue-like mode that is better than most full games, added for free

• Like 4

Great Thread!!

Here's what sprang to mind for me:

2011: Skyrim (No Brainer and really opened my mind to what a game can be)

2012: Sleeping Dogs / Farcry 3 (Cant split them)

2013: Assassins Creed: Black Flag / Bishock Infinite (Cant split them)

2014: Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

2015: Dying Light (spiritual successor to Dead Island and loved every minute of this game)

2016: Stardew Valley

2017: Yooka Laylee (loved Banjo Kazooie so a modern take felt great)

2018: Spyro Reignited Trilogy 

2019: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (Didn't play much of the 2019 releases but this was probs the best of what I did play)

Edited by Mr_Wright95
  • Like 1

Man, it's not entirely tough for me to choose as I already made a pick, it's Red Dead Redemption 2. But there are several other games I could've given it to like God of War Ragnarok, Uncharted 4, Resident Evil 2 Remake and a few others. But I have to go with Red Dead Redemption 2. 

I'd say at first when I first played it, I wasn't as into it as I was with Red Dead Redemption 1 because it was a slower pace starting out for a longer period of time. But after each time I would come back to it, I liked it a little more until the last time going back to it sucked me in. And it really picked up as well. 

It was a slow burn, taking until around Chapter 3 to really pick up, but everything before that point was really good, just really slow at times. Actually going for the platinum made me love the game even more. Unlike most open-world games, Red Dead Redemption 2's side activities felt more than just repeating the same process over and over until you were done. 

I mean, technically, if you really peeled it back, you were doing the same format of activities or missions but it's one of the few games that it's not noticable. Everything felt different, even when doing the same routine of even a stagecoach robbery. Everything felt fresh. Not many games - especially open-world games, pull that off. 

As for favorite games of those specific years, here's mine:

2011:  Arkham City/Uncharted 3

2012: The Darkness II/Black Ops II

2013: God of War: Ascension

2014: Wolfenstein: The New Order

2015: Dying Light

2016: Uncharted 4

2017: Horizon: Zero Dawn

2018: God of War

2019: Resident Evil 2 Remake

2020: Ghost of Tsushima

Edited by JohnFPSKing
  • Like 4

Bloodborne 

I will never forget my first playthrough in 2015, it was my first FromSoftware game, I still remember those loading screens with black background and the title on it, nothing to read in the first couple of weeks. I played multiple times and memorized every inch of it, needed to look in a PlayStation magazine for the Beast Claw and the Moon Rune lvl 3, but hey, I platted it offline and became a beast on it! Definitely the ps4 masterpiece.

GravityQueeen.png

• Like 1

I absolutely love rankings, so I will do it by years :D 

2011 - Dark Souls

2012 - Assassin's Creed III

2013 - Assassin's Creed IV

2014 - Dark Souls II

2015 - The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt/Yakuza 0/Bloodborne

2016 - Dark Souls III

2017 - For Honor

2018 - God of War

2019 - Devil May Cry 5

2020 - Hades

Game of the Decade - Dark Souls

This goddamn game influenced my gaming habits more than I'd like to admit :lol: I played it to the point of obsession, checking lore, doing full runs just with certain weapons, even trying to speedrun it (not recommended). I like it so much that I find even shitty areas like Lost Izalith to be charming in their own right.

The only downside is...no matter the quality of the games that came after (Bloodborne, DS3 ,Elden Ring), for me this one is still the best of the bunch. 

• Like 4

It's Outer Wilds

A game that you want to experience over and over again but you can't, you can only play it once. It's fleeting nature makes it one of the most impactful games I've ever played, let alone the last decade.

I could easily give this to Hollow Knight, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, The Last of Us or any other game I've played in the last decade that's had a profound impact on me but none of them close to Outer Wilds in terms of the experience. There's nothing else like it and I worry there never will be again.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

Bloodborne 

I will never forget my first playthrough in 2015, it was my first FromSoftware game, I still remember those loading screens with black background and the title on it, nothing to read in the first couple of weeks. I played multiple times and memorized every inch of it, needed to look in a PlayStation magazine for the Beast Claw and the Moon Rune lvl 3, but hey, I platted it offline and became a beast on it! Definitely the ps4 masterpiece.

GravityQueeen.png

Fear the old loading screens...

• Haha 2

Nice thread.

2011 - Batman Arkham City

2012 - SSX

2013 - GTA V

2014 - skate 3 ( bought it in 2010 bur really got into it in 2014)

2015 - Call of duty black ops 3

2016 - Naruto storm 4

2017 - Crash Trilogy

2018 - Yakuza 6/0

2019 - Catherine

2020 - Fall guys (probably)

• Like 1

For me there are 4 games that stand out over the last decade or so:

Skyrim

GTA 5

Witcher 3 

Red Dead Redemption 2

All of them are masterpieces in my eyes but if I had to choose one, it would be RDR2. I hope there comes a day where a story game hits me like this one did the first time I played it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

It's Outer Wilds

A game that you want to experience over and over again but you can't, you can only play it once. It's fleeting nature makes it one of the most impactful games I've ever played, let alone the last decade.

I could easily give this to Hollow Knight, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, The Last of Us or any other game I've played in the last decade that's had a profound impact on me but none of them close to Outer Wilds in terms of the experience. There's nothing else like it and I worry there never will be again.

I still have to play Outer Wilds...

I think the single thing I like most about this game, is that the community collectively decided that you don't spoil Outer Wilds. I dont know, I just think it's fascnating that this game has such an impact on the player, that everyone basically says the same thing and sings praises to it

Will definitely give this a go in the future!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Don't think anything is going to top Sol Cresta.

SOL-CRESTA_keyvisual_220123-1800x918.png

Didn't release in the last decade. I will put the time frame in the title.

Edited by Paleblood

game of the last decade for me is 2015's PS4 Batman Arkham Knight, the finale of the Arkham trilogy

the game is the perfect version of the Arkham style combat, it has more takedown animations, gadgets and combos than Spider-Man 2018, Miles Morales and Spider-Man 2 combined, on a technical level, it still looks better than any comicbook game released still and better than most new games, the voice acting is top, nothing beats Kevin, Mark, John Noble, Banks and more, the story is incredibly implemented, the Joker factor is a display of the team's dedication for the concept of the game, the fact that somebody can experience the Joker visions in the entire game or ignore a lot of them depending on when they do the side content shows that the devs didn't take the easy way out

• Like 1

In order or release date:

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Call of Duty Black Ops II

Minecraft

Destiny

Bloodborne

Death Stranding

Elden Ring

Patiently awaiting Shadow of the Erdtree for Elden Ring and Death Stranding 2.

• Like 1

I have fallen out from storytelling in games, but The Last of Us Part 1 (2013) is my GOTD. 

For reference: 

2010 Red Dead Redemption 
2011 Skyrim
2012 Max Payne 3
2013 The Last of Us
2014 Shadow of Mordor
2015 MGS V
2016 Battlefield 1
2017 Wolfenstein 2
2018 Red Dead 2
2019 Death Stranding
2020 FF 7 Remake
2021 Guardians of the Galaxy
2022 Elden Ring

2011: Tekken Tag Tournament HD

2012: Tekken Tag Tournament 2

2013: Warframe

2014: The Last of Us Remastered

2015: Life is Strange

2016: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

2017: Tekken 7

2018: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

2019: Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

2020: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Best of all: Fall Guys.

Edited by KenjiCBZ
  • Like 1

2011 Skyrim
2012 Path of Exile / The Walking Dead Telltale / Borderlands 2 / Diablo 3
2013 The Last of Us
2015 Rainbow Six Siege / Witcher 3 / Rocket League
2017 PUBG / Destiny 2
2018 Beat Saber
2019 Hunt Showdown / Days Gone / Slay The Spire
2020 Fall Guys

2014 and 2016 i didnt find a single good game that would deserve a spot on this list, very weak years,  2012 / 2015 and 2019 on the other hand were pretty strong years.

2015 even had Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Life is Strange, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront 1, Dying Light and some gems like Magicka 2, propably the strongest year of the decade

• Like 1

Going off only games I've played & probably got the most enjoyment out of:

2011: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

2012: Final Fantasy XIII-2

2013: Grand Theft Auto V (I think 2013 was the hardest year to pick)

2014: Driveclub

2015: Skylanders Superchargers (this is purely because it was the first proper game I played with my eldest)

2016: No Man's Sky (I enjoyed zoning out & just trying to catalogue everything)

2017: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

2018: Marvel's Spider-Man

2019: Sid Meier's Civilisation VI (I've been a fan since Civ 1)

2020: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

Overall, I'd probably go with Civ 6. Nostalgia is a big part, but there's also a lot of content added along with more modes & scenarios, so it maintains a high level of replayability.

• Like 1