What's your game of the last decade? (2011 - 2020)

Paleblood

Has to be something I have actually played and completed for me as I am aware there are a few I am yet to experience.

God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn take some serious beating from that period. Last of Us also has to be up there.

I'm terrible at making blanket decisions like this.

2011 - Dead Space 2 / Portal 2 / Skyrim / Rayman Origins / Arkham City - what an insane year for games, Skyrim

2012 - Borderlands 2 / Mass Effect 3 - Borderlands 2

2013 - The Last of Us

2014 - Driveclub / Transistor - Driveclub

2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2016 - Overwatch / Firewatch / Hitman - Overwatch (sad to see what's become of this in all honesty)

2017 - Honestly kind of a dead year for things I've actually played - I think looking forward this will end up being Hollow Knight but for now What Remains of Edith Finch.

2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2 / Astro Bot Rescue Mission / Beat Saber / Marvel's Spider-Man / God of War - Red Dead Redemption 2, VR games got kind of shafted here, because they're great. Another great year for games.

2019 - Another quiet year for me - Sayonara Wild Hearts

2020 - The Last of Us Part II / Ghost of Tsushima / Genshin Impact - Genshin Impact

Out of the bolded choices there, without a doubt it has to be The Witcher 3.

This game has taken months of my life across 3 playthroughs, and I will be stacking the PS5 version at some point just to play through it again. I would highly recommend anything listed above, not even just the bolded picks, but if you're going to play one of them, make it The Witcher. Honestly probably up there as the GOAT for me, not even just of the last decade.

Edited by HelixNebula_x
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paleblood said:

I still have to play Outer Wilds...

I think the single thing I like most about this game, is that the community collectively decided that you don't spoil Outer Wilds. I dont know, I just think it's fascnating that this game has such an impact on the player, that everyone basically says the same thing and sings praises to it

Will definitely give this a go in the future!

I haven't even spoiled it to people who don't play games, cause there's a chance they might start playing them 10-20 years from now and I would hate to ruin the experience for them.

I put P4AU and Catherine Full Body Edition for their respective years as I think they differentiate themselves from the originals to justify it, but if not, you can slot Atelier Escha and Logy for 2014 and Bloodstained RoTN for 2019.

2011: Uncharted 3

2012: Fire Emblem Awakening 

2013: The Last of Us

2014: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax 

2015: Bloodborne 

2016: VA-11 Hall-A

2017: Resident Evil 7

2018: The Messenger

2019: Catherine: Full Body Edition 

2020: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (Or FF7R if remasters don't count).

I would probably pick Catherine Full Body Edition as my game of the decade. It's just one of those games I can come back to and pick up and play whenever to kill time. I got the plat years ago and still have it downloaded on my PS4.

Though, personally, a lot of my favorite games of all time came out in a decade where many complained about DLCs and microtransactions. If you think the decade was bad, I think you weren't looking in the right places for games.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

My picks:

2011: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

2012: Persona 4: Golden

2013: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

2014: inFamous Second Son

2015: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

2017: Persona 5 

2018: Nier Automata

2019: Kingdom Hearts III

2020: Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories 

Bloodborne easily. Not only it introduced me to the genre but it proved to be the best in it so far. Elden Ring is a close second, but yeah - Bloodborne takes the crown. 

If they do a remaster or just a PS5 patch, it'll be the most anticipated and probably my favorite release of the year. 

Wow, this thread just made me feel old. I mean, these are just some of the games in my backlog:

Crash trilogy is 7 years old. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Death Stranding are 5 years old. I haven't even got round to starting these games.

I loved Uncharted 4, but it's 8 years old...where does the time go to?

13 hours ago, wajbsb said:

Wow, this thread just made me feel old. I mean, these are just some of the games in my backlog:

Crash trilogy is 7 years old. Kingdom Hearts 3 and Death Stranding are 5 years old. I haven't even got round to starting these games.

I loved Uncharted 4, but it's 8 years old...where does the time go to?

It's funny, I also often recognize the passage of time when looking though old games lol.
I positively cannot believe that I played Dark Souls for the first time about 13 years ago! That sounds insane to me.

• Like 1

I'll just give all since PS3 gen because why not. I'm sure I'm forgetting loads

2007- Guitar Hero 3 Legends of Rock

2008- GTA4/Little big planet 1

2009- Modern Warfare 2

2010- Heavy Rain

2011- Motorstorm Apocalypse

2012-Spec Ops The Line/The Walking Dead season 1

2013-The Last of Us

2014- Mario Kart 8 I guess???

2015- Bloodborne

2016- Dark Souls 3

2017- Cuphead

2018- Red Dead Redemption 2

2019-Days Gone

2020-The Last of Us 2

2021-Little Nightmares 2

2022-God of War Ragnarok

2023- (Haven't played many but) Dead Island 2 (probably soon to be Lies of P)

2011: Mass Effect 2

Probably the hardest year to choose, it had Catherine, Uncharted 3, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2 and so many more. It is extremely close between so many games but I chose Mass Effect 2 because it was my favourite of the trilogy.

2012: Borderlands 2

Another great year with Mass Effect 3, Journey, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Black Ops 2 but this year goes to the best Borderlands game of the series.

2013: Bioshock Infinite

The good streak of gaming years continued. Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite, AC Black Flag, Ni no Kuni, The Last of Us. All candidates worthy of a game of the year. I'll go with the game I enjoyed the most out of these which is Bioshock.

2014: The Evil Within

This year did not have that many amazing games compared to the past 3 years, but still quite a lot of them. The Evil Within, South Park: Stick of Truth, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, Dark Souls 2. I am currently playing Alien Isolation, which would win this spot if I had completed it by now but as of writing this I'll go with the Evil Within.

2015: The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt

It is unlucky that some great games had to release on the same year as the Witcher, but this just shows how amazing this game is. Until Dawn, Ori and the Blind Forest, Fallout 4, Bloodborne (which is also my favorite of the Souls series), Metal Gear Solid V were some of the many great games of the year I could also choose.

2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Not that many great games, but those I would pick are still some of the best. Final Fantasy 15, the Doom remake, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4. All games that deserve high praises. But I will go with Mr. Drake for this year.

2017: Nier Automata

Perhaps the year I have played the least amount of games from, but some really strong contenders like Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 7, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cuphead. The game with the most impact on me from 2017 was Nier and earns the spot.

2018: Marvel's Spider Man

The only reason that Red Dead Redemption 2 is not picked here is because I have still to play it. As such I will choose Marvel's Spider Man for the year. The remake of God of War could also get the spot here.

2019: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is probably my least favourite year of the decade. Some games that had the name and potential to be awesome like Borderlands 3, Kingdom Hearts 3 and some good ones like the Resident Evil 2 remake and Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. But that one Fromsoft game stole the spot this year. Which I need to finally play on Playstation and get the platinum.

2020: Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

For the final year of the decade I could not choose the sequel to one of my favourite games of all time. There were other strong contestants like Final Fantasy 7 remake, Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima and Hades but the one I have properly played so far is Crash.

Game of the decade: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

The game is just impeccable. With the best mini-game I can think of in any videogame. Up for a game of Gwent?

Bonus years for the next decade:

2021: Resident Evil 8: Village

2022: Elden Ring

2023: Lies of P (only because I have not yet properly played Baldur's Gate 3)

• Like 2

Here is my list for Top 10 games in decade. This is only my opinion and games i enjoyed.

2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

2012 - Max Payne 3

2013 - Grand Theft Auto 5

2014 - Watch Dogs

2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2016 - Watch Dogs 2

2017 - Assassins Creed Origins

2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2

2019 - Devil May Cry 5

2020 - Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Game of the Decade - Red Dead Redemption 2 but The Witcher 3 is just behind

Edited by CracK061196
  • Like 1

My GOTYs for 2011-2020

2011: LA Noire

2012: Journey

2013: Call Of Duty Ghosts

2014: inFamous First Light

2015: Life is Strange

2016: Firewatch

2017: Hellblade

2018: Forza Horizon 4

2019: Control

2020: Ghost Of Tsushima

Honourable mentions (some were hard decisions)

2011: Mass Effect 2
2012: Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Resistance Burning Skies
2013: Ryse: Son Of Rome, Need For Speed Rivals

2014: The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, inFamous Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

2015: The Order 1886, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

2016: Uncharted 4, Forza Horizon 3, Job Simulator, Sherlock Holmes: The Devil’s Daughter

2017: What Remains Of Edith Finch, Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

2018: A Way Out, Wreckfest, Spider-Man

2019: The Grand Tour Game, Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

2020: The Last Of Us Part II, Dirt 5, Astro’s Playroom, Cyberpunk 2077

Ultimately, it is a toss between Control, Firewatch and Life Is Strange, all 3 games had a significant impact on me in different ways, being Control’s unique mechanics, theme and gameplay, or Firewatch’s incredible story, art style and sense of calm among the storm, or Life Is Strange’s powerful story, the emotional rollercoaster it takes you on, or the plethora of relatable characters. All of these games deserve to be put forward as my games of the decade in one way or another. 

• Like 1

A factor to rate my strongest games of this century would be how much hours i`ve put into a game, so these 10 are my games:

The Last of Us,

Hollow Knight,

NieR Automata,

Bloodborne, 

The Binding of Issac,

Zelda, Breath of the Wild,

Dark Souls III

Cuphead

Red Dead Redemption II

Bioshock III

I adore all these game so much and spent hundrets of hours with them across multiple platforms throughout the years.

@ZOLANTON totally love your list and go par with many of your games!

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

2010:

God of War 3 (PS3)

Runner Up: 

Mass Effect 2 (PS3)

2011:

Mortal Kombat (9) (PS3)

Runner Up:

Dark Souls (PS3)

Skyrim (PS3)

2012: 

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)

Runner Up:

Mass Effect 3 (PS3)

2013:

The Last of Us (PS3)

Runner Up:

Bioshock Infinite (PS3)

2014:

Final Fantasy XIV (PS4)

Runner Up:

Smash Bros for Wii U (Wii U)

2015:

Mortal Kombat X (PS4)

Runners Up:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)

Bloodborne (PS4)

2016:

Doom (2016) (PS4)

Runner Up:

Titanfall 2 (PS4)

2017:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Runner Up:

Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)

2018:

God of War (2018) (PS4)

Runner Up:

Marvel’s Spider-Man (PS4)

2019:

Death Stranding (PS4)

Runner Up:

A Plague Tale: Innocence (PS4)

2020:

The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Runner Up

Doom Eternal (PS4)

Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• Like 2

2011 Dead Space 2/ Battlefield 3/ Uncharted 3/ Alice Madness Returns/ LA Noire 

2012 Max Payne 3/ The Walking Dead / Spec Ops The Line/ CoD BO2/ Crysis 2 

2013 The Last of Us/ Bioshock Infinite

2014 The Evil Within/ Alien Isolation 

2015 Life is Strange/ Until Dawn

2016 Uncharted 4 A Thief's End

2017 Nier Automata/ Wolfenstein 2/ The Evil Within 2/ Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

2018 God of War/ Detroit Become Human/ The Walking Dead: The Final Season 

2019 Death Stranding/ A Plague Tale Innocence 

2020 The Last of Us Part 2/ Ghost of Tsushima 

Game of the Decade 

The Last of Us 

Edited by ahmedelebiary
  • Like 1

So far for the games I’ve gotten around to playing, I’d say Sackboy: A Big Adventure. 
It’s got a good amount of platforming that’s approachable for everyone from young kids to adults and can provide quite a bit of challenge trying to Gold Trophy all the Knitter Knight Challenges. 

My Top Games 2011-2020

2011: Batman: Arkham City

2012: Borderlands 2 

2013:  Grand Theft Auto 5

2014: Dark Souls 2

2015: Rainbow Six Siege

2016: Dark Souls 3

2017: Resident Evil 7 

2018: God of war

2019: Control

2020: Ghost of Tsushima

2011: Dark Souls  The PS3 era started out with a bang with the amazing jump to HD, but very quickly grew stale with AAA games that were overly streamlined and sterile. Dark Souls came at a time when I was getting older and starting to feel jaded with gaming, and it completely reignited my love for the hobby.

2012: FTL  One of those games where everything it does is polished pretty much to perfection. The art, music, storytelling, and design all work together to make one of the most addicting and satisfying games ever.

2013: Rocksmith 2014   Kind of a weak year for me. I didn't really like The Last of Us or Bioshock infinite, and GTAV was good but missing the magic the older GTAs had. So, I'll go with Rocksmith just because it got me to pick up my dusty old guitar and actually start playing again (and continue to play to this day.)

2014: Banished   In addition to being a really fantastic game in its own right, Banished sparked a revival of one of my favorite genres (city builder) when it released on PC in 2014. The genre was mostly dead at that time, and has seen something of a golden age in the decade since.

2015: MGSV: Phantom Pain   One of the biggest years in gaming I can remember, with so many different GOTY and GOAT contenders. Phantom Pain is often treated as the unloved step child of that group due to not being the game that a lot of people wanted, but I straight up adored it. The base building, army recruiting, and sandbox gameplay with an enormous toy chest full of weapons and gadgets to play with made this one of my all-time favorites. 

2016: Stardew Valley   I'd dabbled in the old Harvest Moon games and always enjoyed them, and Stardew took that formula and just made everything about it 10 times better. There is so much love, passion, and fun in every single pixel of this game, and it still blows my mind that only one guy made it.

2017: Yakuza Kiwami    Another kind of weak year. The "big" titles here (Horizon, Nier) didn't really do much for me, so I'll go with this remake of the first Yakuza game, which I only played just recently and absolutely loved. It has the fun and spirit missing from so many modern games, with enough remake polish to make it still enjoyable to play today.

2018: Monster Hunter World   I'd wanted to try Monster Hunter for years, but I haven't owned a portable or Nintendo device since the 90s. World didn't disappoint when the series finally came back to mainline consoles, and I ended up putting god knows how many hours into it. (So many that I had to skip Rise due to burnout, but I'm now itching for Wilds.)

2019: Anno 1800   Pretty close to a perfect game for me. I'd casually played a couple of the earlier Anno games and enjoyed them, but this one just clicked perfectly. If I had to pick one "desert island" game, it would be this one as I feel like I can play it forever and never get bored.

2020: Persona 5 Royal   Just an immaculate piece of video game craftsmanship. The story and characters, the unique and stylized visual design, the amazing soundtrack... from top to bottom, this game really is an incredible achievement. 

Overall: Anno 1800   I loved the base game when it was released, but in the years afterwards it received some of the best DLC updates I've ever played, and I now count the game as one of my very favorites of all time. With the console port that came out last year, it's probably also my current top game of this decade, too.

Honorable mentions: Skyrim (2011), Death Stranding (2019), Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)

• Like 1

RPGs are my main game genre I play, along with otome, I have gone by first release year rather than the year I actually played them. 

2011: Final Fantasy XIII-2

2012: Persona 4 Golden

2013: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster 

2014: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

2015: Atelier Escha and Logy DX

2016: Tales of Berseria

2017: Final Fantasy XII TZA

2018: Collar x Malice Unlimited 

2019: Persona 5 Royal

2020: Dragon Ball Z Kakarot

Game of the Decade is tough as there are so many great games, but I will give it to Persona 5 Royal as I really enjoyed it and spent a lot of time on it. It was a close shave with FFX/X-2 HD remaster though. 

Runner ups were Ys 8 and 9, Tales of Xillia 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Pio Fiore no Banshou and Lightning Returns.