The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

For me it would have to be the GTA series, they get very boring very quickly and I can say that GTAV was massively overrated. Especially the multiplayer, they promised so many things and it's just not delivered in my opinion. It's just the same shite over and over again. Mission layouts are different but you have to do the same thing.

I think the only thing that kept me playing the single player was Trevor and doing the heists, everything other than that bored me to be honest.

Edited by Meacham93
  • Like 3

Definitely TLOU, it is a great game but it's no where near the top ten of all time.

One section soured the game for me. It's where SPOILERS Ellie has a rifle for the first time. I went through the entire area stealthily but the enemies kept respawning and respawning, just so that Ellie could shoot one for the story, that gave me a bad taste of the game.

• Like 1

Definitely TLOU, it is a great game but it's no where near the top ten of all time.

One section soured the game for me. It's where SPOILERS Ellie has a rifle for the first time. I went through the entire area stealthily but the enemies kept respawning and respawning, just so that Ellie could shoot one for the story, that gave me a bad taste of the game.

It is possible to stealth that entire section, Ellie doesn't need to shoot anyone.

I always got fucked over if I got caught during Grounded+, so I had to stealth everyone.

• Like 3

Generic First Person Shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty.  Besides graphics and balancing the games are basically repeats of the same thing.  A campaign because every game needs one so that you can then jump into MP to continue the mindless slaughter that you've been doing for the past however many games.  I don't challenge that it is a cash cow but it's also boring and unoriginal.

The Last of Us, jumping on the bandwagon because it epitomizes survival horror.  Limited supplies?  Check.  Creepy enemies?  Check.  It basically feels like they took "I am Legend" and "The Road" and made it a game.  

Assassin's Creed, while I'm guilty of helping Ubisoft milk this cash cow until recently with AC4 and possibly AC Unity they basically used the same mechanics and just changed the location every time.  AC4 finally used the whole sailing mechanic they introduced in AC3 fully and AC Unity might possibly be unique with its focus on co-op.

• Like 1

It is possible to stealth that entire section, Ellie doesn't need to shoot anyone.

I always got fucked over if I got caught during Grounded+, so I had to stealth everyone.

So it was just a glitch. It still happened, I went to the same places over and over again and I found that enemies spawned and kept spawning until I got spotted and killed a few of them.

Edited by UndreyVITA

For me it would have to be the GTA series, they get very boring very quickly and I can say that GTAV was massively overrated. Especially the multiplayer, they promised so many things and it's just not delivered in my opinion. It's just the same shite over and over again. Mission layouts are different but you have to do the same thing.

I think the only thing that kept me playing the single player was Trevor and doing the heists, everything other than that bored me to be honest.

I see where you're coming from with this one. In particular, I got to the end of GTAV, and just turned it off. After the story, which was kind of all over the place and hard for me to keep track of as it is, I just wasn't that interested in staying in Los Santos any longer.

• Like 3

The last of us, as many had said, it's not a bad game, but definitely not a Masterpiece/one of the greatest of all time.

I understand the explanations from many players saying that they were fed up of so many fiction games, so this movie game was an excellent opportunity to play something different.

But, even when the end wasn't predictable, it's like people never heard/played about  apocalyptic games before, idk, i don't find the story spectacular, now the Development of the characters is gold, undeniable, and it's the key of the game, you can feel it every moment. But at least for me that's not enough to call it Best game ever.

• Like 1

1. Half Life 2- A regular FPS game with a weird object moving mechanic, which is annoying to use. Maybe it was amazing in 2004, but playing it today feels like playing a generic FPS.

2. Final Fantasy 7- I'll never understand this one. It doesn't have the best story of FF, it doesn't have the best characters, and the gameplay is regular FF gameplay. So why is it always considered the best?

3. The Last of Us- I've actually seen people call this "The Citizen Kane of gaming", wow. Citizen Kane actually changed the way all movies were made. Last of Us did none of that for gaming. It's one of the safest and most cliché games I've played. The setting is a post apocalyptic world. The enemies are guys with guns, and infected things that basically act like zombies. The story is very similar to The Road, I'm sure they read that before writing the game. And the gameplay is Uncharted with a crafting mechanic.

• Like 3

My easiest choice would be Darksiders 2, that game didn't live up to the ratings if you ask me, its content was spread too thin, the story and characters were not the least bit engaging, the puzzles were not puzzles but rather games of "find the thing we hid in a corner to advance" and the combat was not great enough to carry the game over 25 hours.

Another candidate would be Metro Last Light, by no means a bad game, in fact i loved it, but all the nice visual and the great narrative don't excuse the fact that the A.I. is completely idiotic at times and that the game still suffers from bugs long after its release.

EDIT: Also Angry Birds. How could i forget.

EDIT 2: I feel Saints Row 3 is slightly overrated, it lacked focus and the side-activities were pretty boring if you ask me (Still fun though before you murder me).

Wow these just keep coming.

Edited by HappyKastanie

I like all of the game series I am about to mention, but I do not think they are as good as many people say.

Mario (Same game every single time, barely any story.)

Zelda (Similar story every single time.)

God of War (Extremely repetitive gameplay.)

Games I don't like that I believe are overrated.

Minecraft (Maybe because I lack creativity.)

Grand Theft Auto (I really don't get it. I like other Rockstar games, Red Dead Redemtion, L.A. Noire, so GTA should be a perfect fit.)

God of War Series - Not a big fan of the series at all. Gameplay is fun enough, though I'd take mostly any other popular hack & slash over GoW.

Rayman Origins & Legends - Both good games which I quite liked, mainly due to the fact Sony consoles have lacked when it comes to platform games over the years. Don't really like the art style either, not much variation in the backdrops which get repetitive quite quickly.

I think a lot of the hype comes from the people who were the core gamers around the era it was released. Being one of those people, I still agree that it is a bit overhyped in comparison to others but it also does deserve a bit of the credit it gets when judged on its own merits:

1. It was the first 3D rendered Final Fantasy game

2. After its mainstream success, the NA market has gotten every entry into the mainstream series (in order) since

3. It was the last Final Fantasy to have secret party members (a concept in JRPGs I miss in general)

4. It was the first to have really ambigous plot points and ending that people still debate today

5. The materia battle system (at the time) deviated from how magic/skills/etc where used and gained in prior entries. They were swappable and any combination of them added more customizability to party members but never robbed them of their individual strengths brought to the team

6. The level of depth in the main antagonist and the mind f**k of the plot twist(s) wasn't common in gaming at the time nor the series.

Overall, I've always been on the fence about FFVII being overhyped. Like I said, I can't say its one of my favorites but I also can't deny that its one of the best in the series. I do think that maybe the younger crowd of gamers or non-Final Fantasy/JRPG fans may just never get it do to not knowing what the genre and series was like up to that arguable apex.

Oh it's in no way a bad game, in fact it's one of the better FF games. It's just overrated in that it's not the best FF, like everyone seems to think. Just my opinion though.