What is the first game that you finish the main story even though you don't understand this game's language

Mirrors1118

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 

Back in the day when I still didn't know one bit of English, I started this masterpiece and it was actually the beginning of my mutilingualism. I was so frustrated at not knowing what the game said that I literally looked up every single word in a dictionary (I didn't have an internet connection and I was too little anyway). As you can imagine, it took me LONG HOURS to beat it. After completing it I started to find interest in languages and I played more games in English for the extra challenge, now that challenge is gone, I guess I should start playing some games in Japanese xD

Edited by Omar
  • Like 3

The only game I played that wasn't in English was Sengoku Basara 3 Utage in Japanese. The story mode isn't a large part of the game, so I enjoyed it just fine. It took a day or two to memorize which option was which though since I can't read Japanese at all.

Edited by jem12345

• 2 years later...

I finished SMT Devil Summoner though I did understand enough to play it through, There may be in earlier game to this that I might not have finished. I also played and completed SMT Devil Summoner Soul hackers on the Saturn right after finishing this.

On another story, I have a new games room and my Sega Saturn is hooked back up again, one of the grey Japanese ones that still works today. Once back from Fiji it's photo time.

Devsum.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The only game I've ever done this for is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES. 

A good friend of mine had an exchange student live with them for a couple years. He brought his Famicom (Japanese SNES) with, and he let me borrow it for a few days to beat it. 

• 5 years later...