Most Recent Platinum

Muff

:platinum: #57 - Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms (NA)

1Lf88d21.png

Difficulty: The difficult games are in another castle/10

Fun: 7/10 until you play for 4 and a half hours straight. Then it becomes BORING/10

The last Hakuoki game I needed to plat to finish off all the US Hakuoki releases. These games are far more enjoyable in small doses, however my stupid ass decided to pull an all-nighter for the sole purpose of getting this platinum done as soon as I possibly could. I did get the platinum AND snagged myself one of the top 5 fastest completion times, so maybe it wasn't all bad...but because I was so mind-numbingly bored for the last two or so hours of game time, i'm going to swear off visual novels for the time being...

• Like 3

:platinum:  520

1f4af.png 658

L0a49bd.png

Ghost Giant

A VR Narrative Toy box-Puzzle Game from Zoink, (creators of Stick It to The Man, Flipping Death and Lost in Random,) Ghost Giant came out in 2019, and while that places it at the later end of the initial wave of smaller VR games coming from traditionally non-VR gaming studios that accompanied the PSVR release, it bears all the hallmarks of that lose initiative.

At the outset, the player meets Louis - a timid yet precocious young anthropomorphised cat, who lives on a farm with his mother on the outskirts of an idyllic small town. The player's role is of a giant ghost, who seems to be birthed out of Louis's imagination, though as soon as he is, the sheer size of the player both frightens and excites Louis. 
Across 13 vignettes, the player helps Louis to solve problems and complete tasks, as he heads for the local town, picks up items needed for the (oddly run down) farm, does his chores, and prepares a surprise for his mother, who (initially) appears to be poorly.

The actual gameplay follows the the loose sandbox design that tends to favour VR, with the player able to manipulate different objects, and interact with them in various tactile ways which is always fun in a VR setting. Here though, (unlike something like Accounting+ or Vacation Simulator,) there is an element of point-and-click adventure game puzzle solving added. Because the player themselves is distinct from Louis, and not acknowledged or visible to any other characters, but Louis is the one actually engaging in the tasks, the players role becomes one of guide and facilitator - manipulating the environment and the characters around Louis in order to give him a path to success. 

These actions, (whether story critical or not,) are fun and varied - the environment is a bizarre mix of giant levers and switches, allowing Ghost Giant to spin houses around or remove roofs to see inside, and lots of objects can be picked up, played with, thrown etc. 
Each vignette lasts 10-30 minutes, and each has a variety of tasks to be completed by Louis, (with Ghost Giant's help,) and a variety of tertiary things to play with. Each also features a number of collectibles to be found, ranging from little caterpillars who hide in tough to find spots, pinwheels which can be found, help up and blown (the player actually leans in and blows, with the mic picking up the sound of that in game,) hats that can be placed on characters, or basketballs, which must be thrown into distant basketball hoops found hidden in the deep background of the scenes. (These are, by the way, oddly difficult to score - I'm no sportsman, but I can usually score a basket at least, though some of these took a long while to make the shot!)

The VR element works pretty well. Ghost Giant is a two-move-wand game, with one for each of Ghost Giant's giant hands, and so does occasionally suffer from the "jittering" that can happen when the VR gets confused - usually when both wands are too close to one another. Here, in fact, the problem seems a little more prevalent that it was in, for example, Déraciné or Accounting+, most likely because the colours chosen for both lights are too similar. (Ghost Giant uses red and pink as the  colours, which feels a little strange - surely choosing more distinct colours would have alleviated this issue to some extent?) However, this issue is mostly manageable, and the actual fidelity outside of this is pretty good. 

Ghost Giant is a game best played seated, and in each vignette, ghost giant himself is stationary, simple swivelling on an axis to view the whole diorama world. this swivelling is done in increments with a button push, and is quite intuitive - and that means at no point did I feel motion sick (an issue for me, as any regular Science Chum will know!) 

Visually, the game looks nice - the world is a highly stylised "patchwork and brick-a-brack" design, in some ways sharing some influence with Little Big Planet, though actually, the first game to come to mind was Deathspank. The extremely spherical, "small world" design of the landscape, coupled with the paper-craft decoration and 'junk-yard toy-box' style really felt an almost one-to-one with Deathspank's design - but in the VR setting, it is lent a different vibe. 

The characters of the world - all anthropomorphised animals of different species - look fun and silly - continuing the "toy-box" feel. Each looks and animates as if made from wood, like elaborately articulable marionettes, and the Heath-Robinson world design and comically rickety motion of vehicles and mechanics that is a Zoink staple, is present too - and fun to see in VR.

Audio is good, if not stand out - sound effects work very well, and the score is presently inoffensive, if not particularly memorable. Voice work on the various characters is well done, if pitched a little more earnestly than Zoink's usual fare. Some of the repetition of lines can occasionally feel a little overbearing - guidance of what the objective to a puzzle is generally comes from listening to what the NPC characters are saying to themselves, and this cycle can be a bit quick, with characters often repeating their lines on an endless loop quite a bit before a solution is found.
Louis's voice - certainly the most prominent in game - can feel a little too earnest for its own good at times - particularly to those coming to Ghost Giant after playing the more cynical, tongue-in-cheek Stick it to The Man or Flipping Death, and is clearly pitched at a younger audience...
...though whether the game actually is aimed at the younger crowd is somewhat debatable, given the narrative.

What feels a little odd in Ghost Giant's story, is when it gets a little dark. 
Generally, the game has the tone and feel of a younger child's game. As someone with a young son, I see a lot of the softly-educational games that get put on iPad for example, in which characters (usually Sesame Street characters in the Bloodmoney household!) will talk directly to the player, in a coaching, upbeat and encouraging way - and for the most part, that is the kind of game Ghost Giant feels like...
...except when it doesn't. 

There are a few small, throwaway lines in the early game, that hint that something more sad or sinister may be afoot - Louis lies a few times to different NPCs about where his mother is, or why she is staying home as he tends to the chores, and there are specific mentions by NPCs of Louis's family running out of credit at different shops... however, the tone remains light. Louis, especially, seems intent on keeping things easy-breezy.

Later, however, it is revealed that Louis mother appears to suffer from extreme depression, and is all but bed-ridden and crippled by it. Louis's relentlessly upbeat nature and precociousness is suddenly re-contextualised, and made a little sad in this context - he is covering for his mother, and trying to protect her, while his home life falls apart around the pair. During these more emotional scenes, the nature of Ghost Giant is revealed too - when Louis is forced to confront his mother's mental illness, the player shrinks, getting smaller and smaller, and less and less useful to Louis. The game sharply recontextualises the previous play as more a statement on neglect and the trials of mental illness on family life than a soft-educational tool.

Assuming Ghost Giant is the imagined personification of Louis's indomitable spirit, this can feel quite sad and poignant - though really, I do think the game fails to capitalise on this element terribly well. The sections where the  depression angle are dealt with are smart and respectfully done - and build to a genuinely smart message about hiding problems, vs. seeking help -  however, they are very fleeting, and can feel jarringly quick. 
When, near the end, Louis tries valiantly to cheer his mother up, these sections do work as puzzles, but because the game moves quite quickly, I think some of the pathos the player is supposed to feel is less effective than it should be, as they barely have time to really register it. They are likely still considering the recontextualisation of the previous game sections, while playing the current part. I think this could have been solved somewhat by simply lingering a little longer on those elements, and letting the moment sit, before racing forward with the puzzle-solving.

Having said that, there mere fact that the game does manage a "tonal switcheroo" is interesting and laudable, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing as well as it might have. Partly, I might be a little spoiled on this front, having played Doki Doki Literature Club+ so recently - that game pulls off its tonal switch with such flair, that it's tough for other games to measure up!

The fact remains, Ghost Giant is a short but very nicely design game, and the most important element of it - the fun of puzzle solving in a unique VR landscape - looks really nice, feels fun and tactile, and has some mild challenge while still being engaging, easy fare. It is good for the younger crowd, but with hooks for the adults, and manages to have a narrative that is deeper than it appears on the surface, with a genuinely positive and admirable message to it. 

Overall, that is more than enough to counter a slightly ill-paced reveal, or some mild technical issues.

(For original review and Scientific 1f609.png Ranking see HERE)

• Like 2

:platinum:  523

1f4af.png 662

L8e8837.png

Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise

A simple-but-stylish point-and-click first-person Adventure game by Yak & Co, Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise originally debuted on iOS in 2015, with a port to Android the following year, and console ports, including the PS4, coming later - in 2019.

Taking the role of the eponymous Agent A, the player finds themselves on the secret island lair of notorious evil-doer and member of crime syndicate HAVOK, Ruby LaRouge, who after blowing up Agent-A's boss, is enacting her schemes to take down the agency Agent-A works for, and escape.

The gameplay is similar in style to Artifex Mundi's stable of breezy Picture-Hunt / light-puzzle games in terms of interface. There is generally less focus on discrete puzzles, (and an absence of the hidden object sections,) and more focus instead on the idea of escape rooms, puzzle-boxes and more traditional long-form adventure game fare.
I would hesitate to call any of the puzzle elements of Agent A particularly tricky, it does feel like a step beyond Artifex Mundi in that regard. While nothing is fiendish, and solutions make logical sense (as compared to some of the more esoteric or baffling puzzle solutions traditional point-and-click adventure games can get into,) there is much more reliance here on remembering long codes, or patterns or clues - and playing with a notepad, (or, on PS4 / PS5, with liberal use of the screenshot function,) is much more of a necessity than in any Artifex Mundi game. 

Depending on the specific chapter being played (there are 5,) the gameplay tends towards similarity to either Artifex Mundi fare, or the gameplay on show in the (excellent) iOS series, The Room. In fact, the feel of the gameplay is very much akin to what an Artifex Mundi inspired single-player answer to Clever Play's co-op sleuthing game Operation Tango might be... though the best chapter (chapter 3) is actually a single, large puzzle box type affair, and shows some real chops from Yak & Co. with regards to puzzling ingenuity, creating a matryoshka of a puzzle box that rivals the best ones in The Room series. 

The tone of the game is rooted firmly in the James Bond / Man from U.N.C.L.E / Get Smart milleu. It's a fun, colourful game, not high on tension, and while it is not particularly aiming for laugh-out-loud comedy, but there is a fun playfulness to the caper, with Agent A making occasional jokes in her responses to trying different incorrect items, or in some of the visual gags. Nothing ever drew a genuine belly-laugh, but there were plenty of smiles at the knowing nods to classic espionage TV fare.

The art-style is simple and effective - similar to the low-poly look of co-op sleuthing game Operation Tango, or a 3D version of (also spy-themed,) Counter Spy. (Apparently, this style of visuals is very appealing to the light-tone spy genre!)

It looks fine for the most part - Agent A has a fairly workman-like quality to the in game visuals, and I don't think it measures up to either of those games in terms of overall art, but it is a pleasing style and tone for the light romp the game is. There is clear, visible artistic lineage to the game's origins on iOS - it moves and feels like an iPad game, and the inventory, for example, is particularly large - clearly designed for use with a swiping finger. Little has been done to translate the UI to console, but it never really hinders the game, except in the (rare) instance where more items are in Agent-A's possession than can be accounted for on-screen, and scrolling through them can feel a little awkward. 

The actual control of the game is a little slow as compared to how it would be on iPad - like Artifex Mundi games, it relies on using the analogue stick to control a "mouse pointer", however, the areas of effect are large and forgiving, allowing the player to move around fairly briskly around the nicely designed lair and surrounding island.

What looks less good is character models - they are flat screen stylised characters, and fit with the aesthetic, but in this case, they are combined with a sort of pixellated additional style layer on top, and it tends to just take away from the broader style, rather than add to it. 
In truth, I though they simple looked of lower quality than the rest of the game - a fact clearly exhascerbated by the translation to the big-screen. I assume this is an artistic choice, rather than a genuine graphical flaw, but it's not one I was personally wild about, and I do think it gives a cheapening effect to what is generally a nice, clean visual presentation.

Audio is fine - there's nothing here that is stand out (good or bad.) The ambient music is tone appropriate and unobtrusive, and the (fairly minimal) voice acting is fine - in line with a Saturday morning cartoon fare, and does the job.

The game is not particularly replayable - the narrative remains static, though some effort has gone into allowing replays to have SOME value, as certain "gating" puzzles are given random solutions, and not able to be memorised from one playthrough to the next.  The method of obtaining these solution codes remains the same each time, however, meaning running through the game a second time still requires most of the game to be played in full.  This is a requirement, trophy-wise, given that there is a speed-run trophy, which while not super-stringent, does require the player to be pretty switched on.

Overall, Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise is not the kind of game to do anything particularly unique or original, but it is a perfectly solid example of a modern, light adventure game, with a crisp, nice look and puzzles that are engaging and varied, if not terribly difficult. 

It's a game unlikely to draw in anyone not already a fan of the genre, but for those who enjoy the output of Artifex Mundi, for example, Agent-A: A Puzzle in Disguise is close enough to that style to comfort, while being different enough to satisfy.  

(For original review and Scientific 1f609.png Ranking see HERE)

• Like 2

40-platinum.png Platinum 334 40-platinum.png

1L188c8e.png

The Director
Earn all trophies in Metamorphosis

3.23% Ultra Rare

L627e22.png

Platinum in 2 days, 9 hours

Was waiting for my Limited Run Games edition to get here before starting this.

Already played and finished the original version and now I've finished this version. This time in a new costume. :awesome:

So for this version of the game I'm only the second Plat earner. Cool! :platinum:

Edited by Jamescush147
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 7:48 PM, ShinigamiSensei- said:

:platinum:#207: NI NO KUNI: WRATH OF THE WHITE WITCH

L214bd0.png

1L82d1aa.png

Wizardry Whiz
Awarded for becoming a master magician.
Congratulations! You truly are a whiz at wizardry! :platinum:

Now i'm ready for Ni No Kuni 2 (i read is a harder game than the firs one), let's go! :popcorn:

Don't worry, it's not. Unless we're talking about the Solosseum because that's where things get hard and boring.

• Like 3